Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't use Google pay and I barely have an idea what it even is. Well whatever. I guess it isn't my problem as long as google won't ban my google account and delete all my gmail, calendar, YouTube and drive data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
It’s happened to others.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ihmemies posted:

I don't use Google pay and I barely have an idea what it even is. Well whatever. I guess it isn't my problem as long as google won't ban my google account and delete all my gmail, calendar, YouTube and drive data.

Its what you have to use for contactless payment in the US because the US won't adopt any credit/debit card tech until it's at least 20 years old.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Blurb3947 posted:

It’s happened to others.

Welp, time to cancel the sub then. I Hope I won't get penalized with account deletion after using the free trial for a few hours.. I don't understand how their payment system can be so crap that users can't choose their country when buying either.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 5, 2022

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Seems people try to use a VPN to get cheaper YT Premium by connecting through the far East, so I wouldn't sweat it, unless you are losing out by paying in SEK.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

mkbhd, is totally not reading the room regarding twitter, fuckin lol
he's totally "hey elon buddy, never mind those haters, here's a 15 minute video explaining how to monetise the internet"

meanwhile, elon is making wank jokes and sending advertisers running and, just, gently caress knows

he (mkbhd) loving looooves twitter. much more than elon

can't seem to embed for some reason

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mkbhd is the ultimate rich guy Stan. There is no way he goes against anyone worth more than 7 figures

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You guys missed the subtext of that video. He obviously thought Elon was making a huge mistake.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm not watching the video but is he doing that dumb fingers on chin pose he does in thumbnails all the time to look like he's above clickbait thumbnails?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I got that, I mean gently caress, who doesn't think that. (elon, his mum, erm...)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

mkbhd, is totally not reading the room regarding twitter, fuckin lol
he's totally "hey elon buddy, never mind those haters, here's a 15 minute video explaining how to monetise the internet"

meanwhile, elon is making wank jokes and sending advertisers running and, just, gently caress knows

he (mkbhd) loving looooves twitter. much more than elon

can't seem to embed for some reason

I think the top comment on his video sums it up perfectly - "Tech influencers like Twitter WAY more than regular people."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
LTT did a video about using a regular-rear end x86 desktop to act as a DIY router - it never occurred to me that the computing involved in acting as a router could be done by a consumer CPU, but it makes a ton of sense now that I've seen it in action

and it tickles the brain because I already have a dedicated router all of my own, and trying to do it their way would almost certainly take up more space and more power, and I live in such a small home that I'd never actually need that kind of firepower, but I'm already day-dreaming about repurposing some of my old parts in storage and doing it myself, you know?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've succumbed to the urge to roll my own infrastructure a couple times so my only advice would be to consider how annoying keeping up with the maintenance and configuration can be once you're past the phase of extreme self-satisfaction.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

LTT did a video about using a regular-rear end x86 desktop to act as a DIY router - it never occurred to me that the computing involved in acting as a router could be done by a consumer CPU, but it makes a ton of sense now that I've seen it in action

Check out the L1T "forbidden router" series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10NWKboioZRzCsTw9WedxId9sa0GC7nx
They go one further by making a multi-purpose server + router combo using VMs. If you're gonna go to the trouble of making a DIY router, might as well use the power of a full PC to do more interesting thing than a generic router.

But as Tiny Timbs says, you also then have to maintain it. A home router is also your first level of internet security, so that's not something you want to just ignore forever.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

and it tickles the brain because I already have a dedicated router all of my own, and trying to do it their way would almost certainly take up more space and more power, and I live in such a small home that I'd never actually need that kind of firepower, but I'm already day-dreaming about repurposing some of my old parts in storage and doing it myself, you know?

Actually this has been a thing for a while. There are several open-source projects specifically for it. And it actually takes quite little power. There are even purpose made computers for it, like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Gigabit-Firewall-Appliance-Computer/dp/B09J4H9ZXY/ Basically any x86 machine with 2 or more NICs can be a router.

Some of the major projects for this are pfSense, and OPNSense. (both based on FreeBSD) Personally I have used pfSense for several years. It is considerably more stable than any consumer router I have ever used. I run mine on a tiny industrial PC with a Intel i3-4xxx series laptop CPU. That much power is complete overkill for the purpose. I can saturate my 1Gb/1Gb fiber connection and CPU usage barely breaks 9% in pfSense.

Initial configuration is a bit more than a consumer level device, but there is no ongoing maintenance, other than updates.

pfSense can also do wifi with a compatible wifi adapter. But many end up using a separate AP for that. (I use UniFi)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Software based router+firewall has been a thing for decades; Søren Kristensen, one of the former FreeBSD committers, built a company called soekris which made low-power in-expensive hardware that had roughly the same form-factor as ISP CPE.

Fun fact, a lot of the early DSL/DOCSIS CPE worked in software too, it wasn't until internet speeds started getting quick enough that the small 400-600MHz MIPS64 chips couldn't keep up that they started including ASICs to do routing and firewalling.

In terms of setting up a soft router nowadays, I'd probably go with something ARM based nowadays - so long as it can boost up to around 2GHz and has four or more cores (not threads, but more on that later), it's possible to do up to 1/1Gbps of IMIX distribution at least using FreeBSD.
Done that way, as long as you aren't utilizing a core 100%, you're still getting the excellent low-power properties of an ARM chip, and you've still got enough cores to do bidirectional linerate for a couple of network connections.

The biggest issue you'll probably run into is that statefully firewalling things is something that really doesn't combine well with cache incoherent CPUs, so avoid SMT at all costs.

If you've got way too much money and you're using FreeBSD, you can even buy two boxes and use CARP to set up a failover with your public IP on the shared CARP interface, so that if one box falls over, the other one can pick up the work - and if you've got pfsync, you can even keep state tables so that no connections are dropped.

EDIT: Welp, turns out I had the tab open for too long and stevewm beat me to it
However, since I think my reply adds some context, I'll let it stand as-is.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

You guys missed the subtext of that video. He obviously thought Elon was making a huge mistake.

Speaking of huge mistakes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This keeps getting funnier.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

This keeps getting funnier.

Elon Musk's greatest gift to humanity will not be colonising Mars, but causing Twitter to go the way of Lehmann Brothers.

Equally hilarious is that SEC filings show he is dumping billions in Tesla stock in an attempt to douse this absolute tyre fire.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon dumping Tesla stock after it had dropped to its lowest value in a very long time is really quite funny. It certainly implies a strong element of panic.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Done that way, as long as you aren't utilizing a core 100%, you're still getting the excellent low-power properties of an ARM chip,...

I was quite surprised at how little power my i3 system uses. It only clocks in at 9-13 watts.

That is ~$11 per year at my average electric rates of 12 cents/kWh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

I was quite surprised at how little power my i3 system uses. It only clocks in at 9-13 watts.

The Jasper Lake NUCs/knockoffs are round 5-6w too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stevewm posted:

If it's mostly idle, the PCH probably accounts for 5 of those 9-13W.

If you gotta have a soft router, something based on a SoC chip is better.
If it's gotta be x86, I'd argue Xeon D-(1|2)700 is interesting - this would be perfect, if it wasn't so loving expensive.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 9, 2022

stevewm
May 10, 2005

If it's mostly idle, the PCH probably accounts for 5 of those 9-13W.

If you gotta have a soft router, something based on a SoC chip is better.
If it's gotta be x86, I'd argue Xeon D-(1|2)700 is interesting - if it wasn't so loving expensive.

Seems a bit overkill for home use. For typical home use, even at 1Gbit, even a lowly Celeron j1900 is more than enough; that used to be the go to CPU for miniPCs built for router use. It kind of fell out of favor when the pfSense project announced a CPU with AES-NI extensions was going to be a requirement in a future release. A requirement they have since backed off on.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I like the look of those fanless industrial sff things that Ali express (among others) sell
You can get them with 4x2.5gbe for a reasonable price now. I've a couple of 2.5gbe devices so it'd be good to get the performance out of them
Think that I might work out how long the savings will take to justify the price

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stevewm posted:

Seems a bit overkill for home use. For typical home use, even at 1Gbit, even a lowly Celeron j1900 is more than enough; that used to be the go to CPU for miniPCs built for router use. It kind of fell out of favor when the pfSense project announced a CPU with AES-NI extensions was going to be a requirement in a future release. A requirement they have since backed off on.
If you're only doing soft router, sure Xeon D-1700 is overkill - but if I go that route again, I'll want to consolidate my existing homeserver setup into one machine.

That way, I can leave the rest of my homelab powered off, unless I need it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

If you're only doing soft router, sure Xeon D-1700 is overkill - but if I go that route again, I'll want to consolidate my existing homeserver setup into one machine.

That way, I can leave the rest of my homelab powered off, unless I need it.

Ah, yes.. that would make sense in that case.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mkbhd is the ultimate rich guy Stan. There is no way he goes against anyone worth more than 7 figures

Mkbhd has made a wonderful career out of being an enormous tool for huge companies and rich people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

made a wonderful career out of being an enormous tool

This is most tech youtubers (and all apple youtubers) to be honest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the GN video of a teardown of an AMD compute card got me thinking: it's been mentioned a couple of times that AMD cards are actually kinda bad for compute, because they lack full/proper support for the CUDA standard (or at least, that's how I understand it, I could be misreading this entirely)

but if that were the case, what is being used, or how are these cards being used, at an enterprise level such that these AMD compute cards are useful, when maybe they're not as useful at the consumer level?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the GN video of a teardown of an AMD compute card got me thinking: it's been mentioned a couple of times that AMD cards are actually kinda bad for compute, because they lack full/proper support for the CUDA standard (or at least, that's how I understand it, I could be misreading this entirely)

but if that were the case, what is being used, or how are these cards being used, at an enterprise level such that these AMD compute cards are useful, when maybe they're not as useful at the consumer level?

AMD has ROCm which has a lot of similar capabilities to CUDA, but I think CUDA just has more of a head start on market penetration. I think ROCm doesn't have windows support and is more limited in the actual hardware interface to the GPU components. But it's not as mature I think.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

CUDA is proprietary to nvidia. But it's very well supported, nvidia had a huge first-mover advantage, and it's got great accessibility through python and other tinker-friendly poo poo. If the thing you know is CUDA then you're stuck with nvidia or using translation layers. If you don't actually know anything and just want to run stable diffusion or whatever GPU compute apps other people have made using CUDA, you're very stuck with nvidia.

If you can program GPUs in OpenCL or other non-CUDA APIs -- which people at the scientific & enterprise level can, but everyone else is like hell no -- then they work fine.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

This is most tech youtubers (and all apple youtubers) to be honest.

This if fair -- you aren't wrong here.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Rtings is better than 99% of them just by showing all the technical info on a static webpage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Corsi Cube made out of PC case fans

https://twitter.com/robwiss/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

you're gonna have to explain to the gray forum what a corsi cube is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Corsi Cube is when you take four HEPA filters and a box fan to form a DIY air-filtration unit. It's a "cube" because the size and form-factor of square HEPA filters will act as the sides of the cube, and the box fan (pointing upwards) will form the top of a cube, plus a cardboard panel to act as the base, and there's no significant modification needed besides duct-taping them all together.

The purpose of such a device is to, of course, filter the air - specifically of COVID when it was first devised, but also of allergens and other pathogens that also might not want to breathe in.

The idea is that this is cheaper than a dedicated, bespoke commercial air filtration unit (something like this) and can also be quickly assembled en masse and at-scale, like if one were deploying a lot of them to put in every classroom of a school.

anyway, someone making a Corsi Cube out of case fans is a little crossover that I wanted to share with the group

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had to investigate getting the new Zen 4 AMD server cpus (genoa) at work and supermicro has partnered with LTT or something and their website is all marketing crap starring him for the launch.. hurrrrrgh

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

You made me go "Well my old pc router boxes might have a few years but it couldn't be that old after all....", the last one i set up using IPCop was in 2006 while the first one was in 2004. Thanks for making me feel like a fossil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI4uBo6OeE