Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they called it the shroud pc because the entire front intake is shrouded in plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Jeff Geerling did a collab with Serve The Home to compare a cluster of Raspberry Pis against a "real" ARM server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT5UbSJOyog

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Jeff Geerling did a collab with Serve The Home to compare a cluster of Raspberry Pis against a "real" ARM server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT5UbSJOyog
The ARM Neoverse IP core that underlies Altera Max, Graviton, and every single other high-performance ARM CPU that's currently on the market, is absolutely faster than the equivalently priced high core count offerings from AMD and Intel.
It's 128 cores (no SMT) at (so far) up 3GHz, while AMDs best competitor only manages 96 cores at 2.1GHz and Intels best 3rd-gen Xeon Scalable tops out at a paltry 40 cores at 2.3GHz.

SMT doesn't get used in HPC workloads (because it often leads to poorer performance), nor does it get used in in multi-tenancy workloads you find at most hyperscalers because of cache incoherent (customer) data.
I've yet to see any HPC system use turbo-boost, which mostly comes down to cluster integrators not trusting that clock variability will give consistent calculations.

EDIT: Also, it's worth mentioning that the until recently #1 on TOP 500 was based on an absolute shitload of ARM CPUs by Fujitsu built for Riken - and that was on a much different ARM IP with only 48 cores per CPU.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 24, 2022

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Linus' house is basically groverhaus 2.0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For being this big mcmansion it seems super basic inside.

Which I guess tracks but still

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rubellavator posted:

Linus' house is basically groverhaus 2.0

I really don't think he cares, at least not at the moment, but things might get a bit awkward when he eventually sells his tech mansion and realizes that the average person doesn't care that he spent $10k for infrastructure that allows you to heat your pool with the dissipated heat of your home server rack.

"And here we have the LAN basement, I ran fiber through the walls and ceiling to a KVM that switches between here and the upstairs office"
"Oh, cool... My wife has a MacBook for work but the kids and I have iPads"

To be fair he already knows that and he's just having fun building his dream house; I'm just hoping that he fails like I hope every rich person fails and then has to squeeze every penny from his internet café home.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Slumming it in Linus' basement like people do in internet cafes in Japan so Linus can afford to pay his mortgage.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
who among us wouldn't want a house powered by the technical debt of linus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For being this big mcmansion it seems super basic inside.

Which I guess tracks but still

These guys always get big boring McMansions with man caves and theater rooms and poo poo instead of something cool like a place in the woods not near any drat people

mewse
May 2, 2006

LTT is in the area with the highest housing costs in canada except for maybe toronto. The cavernous voids are an ego trip, just in case him making his staff work on his house for free didn’t make it obvious

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mewse posted:

LTT is in the area with the highest housing costs in canada except for maybe toronto. The cavernous voids are an ego trip, just in case him making his staff work on his house for free didn’t make it obvious

If vancouver is anything like some similar places in the US, the mcmansions outside the city are more affordable than the older reasonably-sized houses inside the city

and mcmasions are what's available, because nobody builds small houses anymore unless they have to fit them in small lots

my family is in raleigh and a lot of the time it seems like your options are:
1. a new mcmansion in a soulless development for half a million
2. a matchbox inside the city for half a million
3. a nice reasonably-sized house for a full million

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Linus has said that they ask if the employee wants to help out, and they pay them. They have literally said that they play it up in front of the camera.

The house it seems he got a bit of a deal on, in as much as one can in Vancouver. It was in the middle of a remodel when it looks like the previous owner ran out of money or something, and sold the house.

Linus is an idiot in many things, but getting mad at him for them hamming it up for the camera, and taking advantage of promo stuff is quite silly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought Linus was in Surrey, an area that has some nice areas but is still not as insanely expensive as Vancouver proper.

Surrey is also the butt of a lot of jokes, regionally.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

just in case you want to look really cool

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nice outfit
for a clown to wear
to the circus.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

priznat posted:

I thought Linus was in Surrey, an area that has some nice areas but is still not as insanely expensive as Vancouver proper.

Surrey is also the butt of a lot of jokes, regionally.

i think his new place is in nordel which is like the surrey of surrey

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching this Veritasium video about Fast Fourier Transforms and ... is that the "FFT" being referred to when we run a "small FFT" stress test with Prime95?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching this Veritasium video about Fast Fourier Transforms and ... is that the "FFT" being referred to when we run a "small FFT" stress test with Prime95?

yup

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yes. There is at least one, maybe more FFTs that are a good way to relatively quickly rule out if a number might be prime or not. Prime95 wasn't conceived as a stress testing tool, it was intended to find prime numbers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
dang that blows my mind

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fast Fourier Transformations underpin a big part of computing, since they're used for both video, audio and image compression of some of the most commonly used formats.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Youtube is acting up at the moment, memory hogging like crazy. Seemed to stop at 'only' 1.3GB when I opened a tab in Chrome for a bit and just sat on the front page, might have closed the browser too fast to see though. In Firefox it just keeps going constantly for me. Got to 4GB per tab x 2 tabs idling on the front page before it started to chafe against my 16GB total and annoying me with lag so I closed them. Various forums, reddits and websites in flames over the past hour, mostly people whose apps keep crashing after 20 seconds lol.

E: Issue also occurs with embeds btw, so loading this thread sure is an annoying trip to the task manager every time

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Youtube has gotten a shitshow performance wise anyway. Seeking videos is lagging as hell, several seconds or more before it starts playing again and such. And minimum network activity during that time. Seems they got stingy with bandwidth. That or their ad-code is fighting my UBlock and Adguard Home, attempting to fetch ad video until it gives up.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Old men look bad trying to be hip.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Youtube is acting up at the moment, memory hogging like crazy. Seemed to stop at 'only' 1.3GB when I opened a tab in Chrome for a bit and just sat on the front page, might have closed the browser too fast to see though. In Firefox it just keeps going constantly for me. Got to 4GB per tab x 2 tabs idling on the front page before it started to chafe against my 16GB total and annoying me with lag so I closed them. Various forums, reddits and websites in flames over the past hour, mostly people whose apps keep crashing after 20 seconds lol.

E: Issue also occurs with embeds btw, so loading this thread sure is an annoying trip to the task manager every time

It's not just YouTube, it looks to be happening across the whole Google product suite. Loading up a Google Sheet is shooting my browser's RAM usage by 1.2-1.3GB per tab.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It's not just YouTube, it looks to be happening across the whole Google product suite. Loading up a Google Sheet is shooting my browser's RAM usage by 1.2-1.3GB per tab.

Interesting, google sheets isn't doing anything on Desktop Firefox for me unlike Youtube. Generally the issues seem inconsistent across devices, services and applications.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Youtube via the official app has become adverts occasionally interrupted by content. Two un-skippable adverts like clockwork at 5 minutes, or immediately if I skip forward. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same god drat advert for a Google Pixel . I assume it's some combination of late stage capitalisms need for ever big numbers and an attempt to push me to a subscription.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Youtube via the official app has become adverts occasionally interrupted by content. Two un-skippable adverts like clockwork at 5 minutes, or immediately if I skip forward. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same god drat advert for a Google Pixel . I assume it's some combination of late stage capitalisms need for ever big numbers and an attempt to push me to a subscription.

twitch is a similar story, they've put great effort into breaking ad blockers but they have an extremely limited set of ads to show, at least where i am, so half of them are filler ads for other amazon services like audible

the rest are the same google pixel / oculus quest / pico 4 ads repeated endlessly

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a publicly owned TV company in the UK, Channel 4, who detect when you don't have focus on the tab and pause the advert until you do. Until I came across that I put up with advert to fund the service, but that pushed me in to using an adblocker in them too...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think YouTube embeds is what keeps crashing this app for me. Hm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

twitch is a similar story, they've put great effort into breaking ad blockers but they have an extremely limited set of ads to show, at least where i am, so half of them are filler ads for other amazon services like audible

the rest are the same google pixel / oculus quest / pico 4 ads repeated endlessly

It's really noticable how dry the online ad market is getting when you start realising how many Youtube ads are for Google products, Twitch ads are for Amazon and Twitter's starting to be a lot of ads for Starlink.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
guess it's a larger issue

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1598033989998366720

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Embeds have been disabled on the forums too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pictured: my RAM sticks screaming the moment I forget myself and open a new youtube tab because I'm addicted to cheap short-form entertainment options, before I am brutally pulled back down to earth and close tab in disappointment.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I pretty much have YouTube playing all day while I'm working and I've noticed it being very lovely today. Glad to know it wasn't my computer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
not that i really cared about the rounded new youtube look, but after having it for a while it disappeared, together with ambient mode. don't know if there's a switch, can't find one in the settings.

the new look reappears if i log out/go incognito

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 1, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's probably an A/B test where they only enable it on some users. Tech companies love doing that lately.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a publicly owned TV company in the UK, Channel 4, who detect when you don't have focus on the tab and pause the advert until you do. Until I came across that I put up with advert to fund the service, but that pushed me in to using an adblocker in them too...

Spotify used to pause ads if you turned the volume down too far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
LTT recently did a video about how USB-C can be used for power delivery in instances that would otherwise require a power brick. I tried a cursory look-around and sure enough, there are devices are basically a female USB-C port on one end, and then the male rounded power-adapter plug on the other end. Presumably you could plug a charging cable's male end into the USB-C port, and the other end goes to a charger, and power your laptop that way.

I'm intrigued and interested, but my big question is: could this be used to power a laptop with a power bank? The power bank's female USB-A port, with the USB-A male end of a charging cable, running to the USB-C male end of a charging cable, plugged into the female port of the power delivery device, which then plugs into the power adapter port of the laptop.

I'm thinking no, or that you'd need a certain rating of power bank output (and cable?), or that you won't be able to expect a lot of power from a power bank relative to a laptop battery, but I'm quite curious if this could be made to work.

fake EDIT: I took another look and it seems like there are also cables that are male USB-C on one end, and male power adapter on the other end, so the cable could go directly into the female USB-C port of a charger or a power bank, but the principle should be the same, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm trying to parse that and can't understand how what you're asking for is any different from a normal USB-C power supply?