Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Mr.Radar posted:

Probably a bit of that and a bit of asking for a bit too much stuff recently. I remember a different storage server video he did a few months ago where he asked Seagate for a bunch of drives, they sent him drives rated for at most 5 per chassis, then he told them it was for a huge NAS and they sent him drives rated for like 12 per chassis and he had to go back to them again to clarify he was putting all like 40 drives he was asking them for into the same chassis before they sent him drives certified for that type of duty. For some reason Seagate didn't ask him to send the other drives back (that's almost certainly where the initial Ironwolf drives he was going to use in this video came from) but I got the impression from the video that Seagate was done with sending him drives for a while.

He did a passing update on the state of all those drives he got in a few videos he did after that build. Basically Seagate said he could keep them, but he had to use them in a project/projects, otherwise he had to return them. If I remember right he had a deadline too.

My guess as to why they re-used that old server is that he's done a few new storage setups recently, and they didn't want to send him a new rack-mount server. I believe the stuff he has been getting is essentially one-off's and/or pre-production stuff, so once he runs through that, then he has to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Koskun posted:

My guess as to why they re-used that old server is that he's done a few new storage setups recently, and they didn't want to send him a new rack-mount server.

I'd also hypothesize that one issue with getting all-new sponsored kit is that it's not a glamour project. Like, if they hadn't spent 15 minutes cleaning some dust, what would the video even have been about? It's not their production server so they can't throw around amazing stats about real-time video editing over the network etc. If someone is sending you thousands of dollars worth of free stuff, they want it to be some amount of advertising.

And it's not like a data dump remote backup has any major performance needs, an old server works fine.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with using an old server for this purpose, it's just a bit strange that he went out of his way to call out that he wasn't using brand new hardware like he normally does with server builds.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

I wonder how jayztwocents is doing.

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1363883775785013255

oh ok

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

More divorce fallout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUfiXOGDdy4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

If you watch one LTT video this year, make it whatever the gently caress this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3Cg7dmWxE

mA
Jul 9, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Maybe his partner finally got fed up of having to explain his Asian minstrel act to their family and friends.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

He's battled weight problems all his life, which he's talked about. He mentioned not being able to get to a gym due to covid, and the blah's that have come with the lockdowns (not negative, more the "oh god I'm bored").

It's an incredible effort to lose the amount of weight he has and a daily fight to keep it from returning.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

RELY NOT ON MY HONOR!!! FOR WHEN I OFFER MY WORD OF BOND, I TAKE NOT THAT VOW TO HEART!! CASUALLY, I BRING SHAME TO MY HOUSEHOLD AND RUIN TO THOSE WHO RELY ON MY COMMITMENT, BY SHIRKING MY AVOWED DUTY

Is getting Covid good for losing weight?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

some people slim down to just 23-27 pounds after getting it!

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

If you watch one LTT video this year, make it whatever the gently caress this is

This rules and is a sneaky way for linus to push his merch as really high quality. I actually would wear the grey sweatshirt with the stealth pocket if it had 0 LTT branding.

mA posted:

Maybe his partner finally got fed up of having to explain his Asian minstrel act to their family and friends.

imagine having a biracial daughter and watching your business partner ramp up racist caricatures as a new property

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arivia posted:

Reported for untagged linuscrotch.

Twerkdad
Jun 21, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Speaking from experience, yes! Not eating for like 4 days will get you down a bit.

Though not being able to breathe properly for a while after will cause it to come back pretty quickly

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

I always regain my appetite with a force after getting sick. :/ I didn't have that loss of taste effect of "whatever" I had a year ago.

Buff Hardback
Jun 11, 2019

mA posted:

"Kyle, you have shown so much wisdom, grace and strength over the past few months" - Paul
"Time to make more Asian minstrel act videos" - Kyle at his house.

Man, I actually really used to enjoy Kyle's content (minus the Lyle poo poo which was dumb as hell), but now it seems like his new channel is doubling down on the Lyle stuff so I'm getting ready to click that unsubscribe button.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul’s wife; “don’t let that weirdo back in the house.”

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

the corona quid posted:

Shut off the water and empty the pipes. Its common knowledge up here in Canada

Well yeah, but getting mad about somebody in Texas not even thinking about this is like a Texan telling a Canadian "everybody knows how to recognize a copperhead snake you dumbass" to somebody who lives in Edmonton.

the corona quid
Jan 19, 2014

PLEASE DONT BE MEAN TO ME ABOUT MY HERR LOSS

InfiniteZero posted:

Well yeah, but getting mad about somebody in Texas not even thinking about this is like a Texan telling a Canadian "everybody knows how to recognize a copperhead snake you dumbass" to somebody who lives in Edmonton.

If they announced an incoming swarm of copperhead snakes I might do a cursory search online about what to do to prepare for it, especially if I was a self proclaimed “prepper”, that’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think 8bit guy has proclaimed prepperhood, at least not to any notable degree. Best I can tell he's just a gun nut.

E:vvv ok, didn't watch that video.

Some Goon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

RELY NOT ON MY HONOR!!! FOR WHEN I OFFER MY WORD OF BOND, I TAKE NOT THAT VOW TO HEART!! CASUALLY, I BRING SHAME TO MY HOUSEHOLD AND RUIN TO THOSE WHO RELY ON MY COMMITMENT, BY SHIRKING MY AVOWED DUTY

Pretty sure he said in that video that he's a bit of a prepper.