Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Arivia posted:

the backpack is $250 USD, right?

you can buy a backpack with a laptop sleeve from osprey for that money. or buy an actual hardcore camping backpack (which could comfortably hold your midtower desktop) from them for that money. both of them come with a warranty that goes something like "do you have any scrap of record that this backpack existed at some point before you had it torn to pieces by a shark? okay here's a complete replacement"

like oof linus that's a real hard price to sell in that market
Absolutely, but the way I see it, LTT Store isn't the place to buy a bag the same way a band store isn't the place to buy a shirt.

Sometimes I watch/listen to their podcast when I work out and some people pay like a hundred bucks for YouTube superchats that literally haven't done anything for almost a year now. At first I thought it was hosed up to "force" people to buy merch to have their question read on the show, but obviously people are going to throw money at the guy, so at least that ensures that they get a water bottle or desk mat in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I was curious about the warranty comment above and it turns out the LTT subreddit is in full meltdown - sounds like he said in his podcast that he essentially doesn't want to provide a warranty that's too hefty because he doesn't want to be legally bound to it, or to have to force his kids or family to run the company in the future (which also implies he doesn't trust anyone else to run his company lol). As you can imagine, when you have an entire fanbase built on the precept of consumers (and their rights) as a passionate demographic, it doesn't go down well when you do the kind of thing your whole reputation is based on calling out other companies for.

Does that subreddit usually go into complete freakout mode or is this a particularly bad one?

Edit: I just listened to the WAN show clip and it's kind of a wild take. His argument for not providing a warranty is that if he died tomorrow he wouldn't want his wife to feel obliged to run the company, thus going through the trauma of seeing her dead husband's face over all the branding (he actually said this), which is the situation he'd be creating by providing a legally binding obligation to repair his expensive backpack over the next 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjWRvzL-o0&t=4240s

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 8, 2022

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Yeah lol, this is some severe hypocrite poo poo that really doesn't lend any credence to his labs project where they will absolutely poo poo on any manufacturer found to be not honouring their warranties.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

Edit: I just listened to the WAN show clip and it's kind of a wild take. His argument for not providing a warranty is that if he died tomorrow he wouldn't want his wife to feel obliged to run the company, thus going through the trauma of seeing her dead husband's face over all the branding (he actually said this), which is the situation he'd be creating by providing a legally binding obligation to repair his expensive backpack over the next 10 years.

What the heck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How many products that this guy covers don’t have a warranty and how would he treat one that didn’t

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The $50 GN toolkit has a 7 year warranty.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
literally the union situation all over again: they don't want to formally establish something; if something bad happens, they'll handle it ad hoc; something something my wife and i

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kliras posted:

literally the union situation all over again: they don't want to formally establish something; if something bad happens, they'll handle it ad hoc; something something my wife and i

Everyone who does this is bad!

Except lil ol me. Teehee

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my loving god LMAO

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Just loving lmao

e. with the loving pirate avatar as well i can't

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The LTT bagholders

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Just loving lmao

That is true of literally any company lmao. C'mon man. If you can't provide the support, then don't sell the product. You can't get into a business where warranties are expected and then give such dubious excuses to not provide them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This is the first time I've seen Linus be so obviously stupid. When your whole gimmick is "haha me do stupid poopyhead things with technology", you can't be shocked that people want a formal written warranty.

For example, are they keeping stock in reserve? How much? Because they aren't going to just go get more of something made 2 years from now. So are they doing a cash refund? etc.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1556723484125847552?t=NoxqZo0nSmaXnCA94viYeg&s=19

what's a real warranty? :thunk:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That is true of literally any company lmao. C'mon man. If you can't provide the support, then don't sell the product. You can't get into a business where warranties are expected and then give such dubious excuses to not provide them.

The sheer amount of people going "just trust him bro" is astonishing. Pinkie promise is just as good as a binding contract don'tcha know?

I'm at a loss for words at how mind numbingly dumb he is

e. why the gently caress does he keep talking about a lifetime warranty??? Just give a year or something, who gives a gently caress!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there not even a 1 year warranty on that thing? That's actually horrendous. I would understand not having a 3-10 year warranty because this is his first time producing a backpack. It's hard to predict how things will fail even if you try to produce a quality product, but not even willing to stand behind it for 1 year at that price point is terrible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
as someone who was at least a little interested in the ltt screwdriver with all the extra ratcheting action and poo poo, guess i'm buying a set from gn the next time i have cash. because wow steve is definitely not this much of an idiot about actual important tools.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Just loving lmao

e. with the loving pirate avatar as well i can't

Lmao.

I guess he’s only selling this in the US, where consumer laws don’t exist?

This is incredible. Someone has to find a quote somewhere where Linus bashed a company for “promising to do the right thing” and very obviously failing. My guess is the NZXT riser card fiasco.

Arivia posted:

as someone who was at least a little interested in the ltt screwdriver with all the extra ratcheting action and poo poo, guess i'm buying a set from gn the next time i have cash. because wow steve is definitely not this much of an idiot about actual important tools.

Steve is absolutely gonna poo poo on Linus for this at some point, even if it’s a throwaway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The sheer amount of people going "just trust him bro" is astonishing. Pinkie promise is just as good as a binding contract don'tcha know?

I'm at a loss for words at how mind numbingly dumb he is

e. why the gently caress does he keep talking about a lifetime warranty??? Just give a year or something, who gives a gently caress!

the point is that actual backpack companies selling their own backpacks that are built for utility, not fashion at the same price point offer lifetime warranties, so why isn't linus on a 250 USD bag

like i mentioned the osprey guarantee before: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-support/return-authorization

this is the standard for these kinds of products at that price.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
That dude loving sucks lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1556727116254699520

Definitely not mad 😂

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

a miserable pile of false promises

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
It looks like he's going to offer a warranty of some sorts, but not really? loving hell is he being a whiny little bitch about it.

This is from further down in the exchange between him and Thomas:

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1556726058346418176

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Jesus dude, if you're really "working on something" take the L, admit you were wrong and shut the gently caress up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Take the L geez
Edit: too slow :v:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

i am very critical of linus tech tips ability to command the same premium pricing as your market dominant Calvin Klein high end designer of the backpack market (whoever that is).

lol, that was quick. i assumed it would be price directly rather than price proxied by a feature/general distrust of the brand

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

This is the first time I've seen Linus be so obviously stupid.

So you haven't watched his channel I take it?

(Though I'm kinda with you: this is the first time I've seen him be so obviously stupid and it is definitely positively 100% not a bit.)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he's playing this off like it's blindsiding him but if it is his team are completely incompetent, it's a feature people shop for of course it will come up in comparisons. it is not credible to think no one would have brought it up.

given the pricing is already bonkers due to cost it has to be cost.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I mean his opinion on both this and his employees is a pretty classic scummy small business stance, but one might gently caress over you, the viewer.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Let's be fair - Linus has never grown past the level of owning a small computer repair shop as far as technical and business skills go. I don't begrudge him his YouTube success but in this context his attitude fits completely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Aware posted:

Let's be fair - Linus has never grown past the level of owning a small computer repair shop as far as technical and business skills go. I don't begrudge him his YouTube success but in this context his attitude fits completely.

Both agree and disagree. He is decently skilled but is hanging on to some stupid ideas for sure. But I haven't run a business his size so not like I can claim to be better. I wouldn't go with whatever his messaging on his products is trying to be here though!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Skilled at what exactly? Enthusiast grade tinkering? Prosumer grade networking? It suits his tech enthusiast audience but it's very far from teaching you anything useful/enterprise+ computing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Creating a content creating machine that employs like 100 people. Doesn't matter what you think of the content, that is the truth

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

njsykora posted:

The $50 GN toolkit has a 7 year warranty.
you can't mention that without saying it wasn't 7 years originally

it used to be lower but warranty rates were low enough in practice they felt they could increase it retroactively with no financial downside

basic business. can't wait to hear the shitshow of ltt trying to pay their way into having the gear and expertise and trust gn have spent years earning. gn announcing the fan tester and new lab broke ltt's mind

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The inbound economic apocalypse is the first one to happen in the age of Patreon, YouTube memberships etc. so I would think it's going to get quite rough for a lot of channels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

you get to support the channel and you don't attract any unwanted attention from someone seeing the brand!

win-win!!!

Yeah an ltt fan is for sure not gonna have anyone looking at them in their underwear

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look, you either trust me, the small business tyrant who constantly drops everything, or you don’t.

Bro

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Never thought I’d see a real world “Tommy Boy”:
The guarantee is meaningless pitch but here we are

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/OTKnetwork/status/1556739967115739141

moist is known from youtube, and otk is a bunch of twitch folks - and asmongold who's that nerd who's always throwing an alt-right tantrum tantrum in that recommended youtube video you can't get rid of

to make mattersr more fun, otk was recently sponsored by ... artesian builds

it's gonna be interesting if or when tech youtubers decide to review it; these are not people who are generally great at handling criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ooooh, here's a theory: that uh, i'm again not picking on anyone who bought it this is entirely my subjective opinion: maybe the obnoxiously overengineered backpack components are failing at a rate way higher than they expected, given there are routinely like multiple mechanical zippers or clasps or whatever all the gently caress over the product. the kingdom hearts pants design school.

maybe their failure or endurance rates on their overall product were worse than they expected because one of the finicky and non-essential bits keeps consistently breaking off or something.