Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
I'm still using my old Athlon 64 X2 era Antec Sonata 3 case for my current Alder Lake 12400 computer. So that's like roughly 14 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

CoolCab posted:

i would put money on that not having major thermal throttling issues, look at how open the back is and it's gigantic. i would say probably major issues from dust looking at that stock cooler, lol, but he's an old dude and he wants his blu ray drive and sata bays and doesn't care about acoustics, and i bet that setup will run just fine like that. we should all be so lucky in our old age, i am endlessly charmed by the idea of someone keeping a rig going that long.

It depends on a few factors. If that rear were an intake that would help a bit, as that case may have one intake fan on the front, which would be at the bottom so the GPU will suck up all the fresh air (if it isn't restricted to hell if it has one of those full plastic fronts). But more than that, when that case was made the power limits for an entire system wouldn't hit what a mobile CPU can do now. Will it bake it the moment he turns it on, no, but that case will shorten the lifespan of the components.

And that case isn't gigantic. Given the layout, it's a pretty standard ATX case, what would be considered a mid-tower now. Notice no room between the PSU and motherboard, and the board goes right to the bottom of the case. It's a pretty standard height.

CoolCab posted:

having watched the screwdriver video this product makes an absolute ton more sense. pricing is still stupid but it's not as egregiously stupid.

basically yes, it's someone taking an established but ultimately niche product, tuning up stupid poo poo that doesn't matter like mechanical keyboard sound of the ratchet but ultimately also doesn't really seem to hurt the product at all. there's not enough room to be too overengineered in terms of the product, no comment on the production schedule but not obviously in the product, lol. i don't know the tool market loving at all but they're taking an established and working design, doing some rebrands and ultimately super niche tuneups and selling it with a markup. the price is dumb, but they've paid the capital to produce an arbitrary number of these now and i would expect them to be still making them in years so they probably could bring pricing down after they've paid some of that back.
I was wandering around Menard's today and saw their house-brand ratcheting screwdriver, complete with slide out bit holder in the handle, for 16 bucks.

I think he did more teeth on the ratchet mechanism, which does make a difference, especially if you have limited room to turn, but that generally is something for socket wrenches and not a screwdriver.

As to the capital, he has claimed it's been a 6-figure investment for the screwdriver.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no no i mean they've bought the tools and poo poo. their injection process is largely paid for, the normal product lifecycle would be to sell at an inflated price initially then reduce the price, possibly via promo, after a few years.

it will be loud, the stock cooler is going to be loud, and it may negatively influence longevity but i would honestly expect it still pretty likely to outlive the user, given he's 69 and even poorly thermally managed parts going to a decade is far from unheard of. issues with that case are going to be acoustic and dust, not performance, with operational lifetime a maybe depending on a bunch of other factors. issues with the system will be the PSU well before it's the case.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That computer is far more representative of the average gamer PC I've seen than any clean cable managed RGB bragging rights beast

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://youtu.be/s9OKAvJg5-U

What do you all think about this? Host gives a friend a Mac Studio to do some cloth physics simulation work since he’s a fashion designer. Friend gives it a pretty fair shake but the hardware/software plays poorly with the workflow and he goes back to PC.

We were talking of Apple bias earlier and the host is a pretty unapologetic fanboy. Still, the video seems fair enough in the sense that it was uploaded, but I dunno if LMG has any incentive from Apple to use kids gloves.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

I use an impact driver for all my pc builds

I use a drill with a clutch set fairly low and a PH #2 that has a 10" shank. It's great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

~Coxy posted:

I use a drill with a clutch set fairly low and a PH #2 that has a 10" shank. It's great.

Electric drills are great for that!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm terribly sorry this is very self indulgent but i am fascinated with this picture.

1) okay, this is now a little underprovisioned and he will probably bump into issues with this, depending on some other factors. but back when he had a 2070 super, which you can see from the other picture, probably fine. def fine if he undervolts. wait I just noticed it’s mounted sideways is it? uhhhhh lol, if that’s not venting there’s a more serious problem than I thought lol. i’ve never seen that! but I’m telling you in terms of internal volume that is probably a big loving case

2) blu ray (?) drive. could even just be a dvd/cd, older people tend to have gigantic physical media collections. i’m not entirely sure it’s all the way plugged in tho, lol, so it might be that he’s fallen into the same trap I have in the past and said "oh i still need an optical drive i'll use it all the time" and forgotten about it for years at a time.

3) that’s a wraith stealth prism cooler which in limited research I think only came out with the 2700x and has only been released for the x700, x800 and x900 and variant chips. based on the rest of the components I would guess a 37, 38 or 3900x. i own a 3900x.

4) “To truly esteem oneself means that one must be capable of feeling shame or self-disgust when one does not live up to a certain standard”
- Francis Fukuyama.

also frankie dude that blue one isn’t plugged into anything are we somehow time displaced brothers. am I your secret son. 4x8 on the ram I think, my config exactly again.

5) this is from the XC3 line, I think it’s an ultra since they made a ton more of those but it’s literally just a backplate. truely excellent card selection from a price to performance standpoint, the cooler is the same they used on the 3080 so there it’s a little underpowered while on the 3070 it’s a little overkill. he’s gonna need it. obviously i run this too.

6) based on the other components in the case I am going to guess this is an x570 (me again) rather than something earlier. specifically, I am going to guess he bought this computer during the window where you could only get PCIe gen 4 from the x570 but that’s just a guess. he probably overpaid for this which is why I’m guessing the PCIe thing, the rest of these components scream someone who is very value conscious but must have the latest standard, component etc. also is that a usb c adapter? adorable.

7) case is I think unfiltered negative pressure, based on the dust buildup. it’s gonna be rough, that little fan is going to be fuckin screaming and I’m basing this off the expectation that PSU can vent somehow, lol, but i bet he’s alright with it.

i wonder if he built it himself or he had a family member to help? such a weird and intimate slice into the life of someone i would never, ever expect to share anything, most certainly not opinion with. neat!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FuturePastNow posted:

That computer is far more representative of the average gamer PC I've seen than any clean cable managed RGB bragging rights beast

Fukuyama's garbage PC feels about right to me while I find something alienating about those weird gamer PC cases with the huge glass window, the power supply on the bottom, and the cables behind the motherboard tray

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Fukuyama's garbage PC feels about right to me while I find something alienating about those weird gamer PC cases with the huge glass window, the power supply on the bottom, and the cables behind the motherboard tray

Glass side panels (and more than side in some) are an aesthetic thing. Companies started to realize that people were modding in windows, so they added them, and then just went with the whole side panel and/or front. They are horrible for noise isolation, but it lets you see pretty lights, which in a lot of cases can be programmed to give notifications. For instance, in iCue you can set the light color to change if the temperature of the CPU (maybe GPU, I think that depends on model) gets above a certain point. The stock Wraith cooler can be set to do the same thing.

Moving the power supply to the bottom helped with two things. The first is moving a mass of weight to the bottom of the case. This prevents the case from being top heavy and reduces the chance it will tip over some how. Yes you would have to work at it to tip over a PC tower, but it helps. It also let you set the intake of the PSU to pull in fresh air rather than the warm-to-hot air that's been roaming around inside the case.

Cable management also has an actual benefit in addition to looking tidy. Not having a waterfall of cables in front of a fan helps the air flow a lot better throughout the case. It can make it a bit of an annoyance if you ever have to replace something a cable is hooked up to (so, anything really), as you end up tracing and de-bundling cables. Always use velcro strips here, zip ties are the tool of the devil.

RGB for the most part is for looks, but since most people put their computer in a location where they are looking at it day in and day out, why not have it be pleasing rather than "a solid lump of metal"?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Koskun posted:

Cable management also has an actual benefit in addition to looking tidy. Not having a waterfall of cables in front of a fan helps the air flow a lot better throughout the case. It can make it a bit of an annoyance if you ever have to replace something a cable is hooked up to (so, anything really), as you end up tracing and de-bundling cables. Always use velcro strips here, zip ties are the tool of the devil.

Hasn't this been tested and been shown to have negligible effect?

I long for when glass goes away as a design trend. Bring back mesh, or even acrylic, so I don't have to worry that a slight misstep will shatter the side of my case into a thousand shards.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Koskun posted:

Cable management also has an actual benefit in addition to looking tidy. Not having a waterfall of cables in front of a fan helps the air flow a lot better throughout the case.

largely a myth, funny enough you can go on LTT and see people testing it. it barely makes any difference at all, and in this case i would anticipate it making literally none whatsoever given it's negative pressure, ie more air is pushed out than pulled in and fresh air is pulled through available openings in the case.

if you do it right it does have a benefit of making some installations easier at the drawback of making some harder, but it doesn't matter almost at all thermally. it cause some uh, interference i guess, but not enough to significantly negatively influence performance.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yep. Airflow inside a case is turbulent, it gets pretty well mixed up. Any case advertisement that shows lines of air moving directly from intakes to components is advertising fantasy. A few cables, or even lots, don't really change anything.

The stuff that makes a measurable impact is full obstruction close to fans (generally a GPU with a 2nd card too close below, or the idiotic vertical mounting up against the glass side panel), or the 3000 founders coolers that exhausted hot air directly into the CPU cooler intake zone.

Koskun posted:

It also let you set the intake of the PSU to pull in fresh air rather than the warm-to-hot air that's been roaming around inside the case.

It's great when it's well-maintained, but my advice for anyone building a PC for a friend or anyone they're not sure will stay up on maintenance is to install bottom-mount PSUs inverted, if the case allows it. (IE intake fan facing up into the case, rather than the intended bottom fresh intake.)

The big drawback to bottom-mount PSUs is floors are dusty and anyone who doesn't know, or forgets, that they need to clean the PSU dust filter every 6 months has a choked intake. A clogged dust filter is worse than slightly-warm air.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I stand corrected on the cable management.

That said, I do like not seeing cables strewn about my case anymore. I'm really glad that everyone is either using black or sleeved cables now. Then again, my case is on a bracket under my desk, so I really don't see it, other than when I am walking to my desk.

As to the PSU intake, either inverted or from the bottom work well. Where people run into problems is when they put the case on the literal floor. If there is carpet, you might as well have taped off the intake. Or you find the really cheap case where they put tiny little feet on them, so even on a desk it can barely draw in air. I think there was some concern with modern GPU's and the sheer amount of air they can pull in could "starve" the PSU, but with modern cases, especially those having 3 front fans, it's usually a lot of air going in. And most modern PSU's barely need to run their fan anymore outside of some pretty heavy loads on them.

The 3000 series, with it's pass-thru fan setup, I seem to recall that was more that people thought it would effect it, rather than it had any real effect to it. Something like 3-5 degrees more than usual.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there is also a big difference between actual cable management and what you might call "cable cover-up". i see a lot of people flaunting their fancy "no visible cables" for the desks and so on, but it's set up in such a way that you can't actually manage the cables without having to undoing the whole thing

better to have order in your chaos than chaos in your order

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Koskun posted:

The 3000 series, with it's pass-thru fan setup, I seem to recall that was more that people thought it would effect it, rather than it had any real effect to it. Something like 3-5 degrees more than usual.

Oh yeah, it wasn't enough to really matter unless you had an underspecced cooler or something else awful in your setup. But it was at least a measurable change, as opposed to a few dangling cables which will have zero impact.

Koskun posted:

And most modern PSU's barely need to run their fan anymore outside of some pretty heavy loads on them.

That's the other good thing about a fan-up inverted in a bottom mount -- a PSU with a semi-passive cooling option can keep itself cool just on convection or incidental air movement inside the case. Some of the PSUs with semi-passive actually mention this in their install instructions.

kliras posted:

there is also a big difference between actual cable management and what you might call "cable cover-up". i see a lot of people flaunting their fancy "no visible cables" for the desks and so on, but it's set up in such a way that you can't actually manage the cables without having to undoing the whole thing

Eh, how often do you need to change components & undo cable management that it's a big deal? IMO the biggest potential negatives for excessive cable management are: a) some cables like sata don't like hard bends b) putting strain on connectors is bad. But those are both mistakes that can be avoided.

But anyways people should do whatever they like, my only real beef with cable management is when people say it makes an objective difference in temperature.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It had an objective impact on temperature in my previous case, because it was hard to route additional SATA cables without getting them stuck in the CPU fan when closing the case. (This was a cramped, console style Alienware pc).

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cable management in servers is important. Ask me how I know (pls don't)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've been digging around inside of PCs since the beige boxes of the 90s and when I got my first modern, power supply on the bottom, cable management behind the motherboard, drive trays out of the way, front-to-back airflow PC case (my trusty Phanteks P300A) it was a revelation - it was like I'd been lied to about what computer cases should be my whole life and only now someone was speaking the truth to me

I can never go back to The Old Ways, god even just looking at that dusty stamped steel oven with a rat's nest of cables is giving me the palpitations :ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Cable management in servers is important. Ask me how I know (pls don't)
There's precious few cables in any server that isn't a home-built monstrosity - at most you're likely to find a SAS cable or four going to the SAS backplane from the SAS HBA, everything else is done through copper on the motherboard.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I do not buy cases with windows. If the back side panel goes on, the cables are managed.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's precious few cables in any server that isn't a home-built monstrosity - at most you're likely to find a SAS cable or four going to the SAS backplane from the SAS HBA, everything else is done through copper on the motherboard.

Oh, I know. It was HBA to expander and a load of (too long) cables actually, but the same ballpark. Those really things like to breathe

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

I've been digging around inside of PCs since the beige boxes of the 90s and when I got my first modern, power supply on the bottom, cable management behind the motherboard, drive trays out of the way, front-to-back airflow PC case (my trusty Phanteks P300A) it was a revelation - it was like I'd been lied to about what computer cases should be my whole life and only now someone was speaking the truth to me

I can never go back to The Old Ways, god even just looking at that dusty stamped steel oven with a rat's nest of cables is giving me the palpitations :ohdear:

When I got my P400A build up and running, it was shocking. I would walk into my home office and freak out because I thought the computer had shut itself off. But no, it was just quiet, the way computers should always be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like updating my computer cases just because I like checking out the new designs and they have gotten so good and quiet and easy to work in.. It's like an affordable luxury really, coming from the beige piece of poo poo cases in the 90s/early 00s that would cut you the gently caress open if you touched the wrong edge.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I got a Fractal Torrent for my most recent build and it's the best case I've ever seen, it's got such great airflow. Really easy to build in too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I got a Fractal Torrent for my most recent build and it's the best case I've ever seen, it's got such great airflow. Really easy to build in too

:hfive: same I got one too, it's fantastic!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Plus there's a metal side panel option for all the goons allergic to glass.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unfortunately fractal is almost the only game in town for windowless cases now

the torrent looks good but the huge version is maybe too huge for my setup and the compact is apparently a pain because they shrunk the cable management space too much

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Be Quiet also does windowless cases, so you can have your imposing black obelisk: https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Mid-Tower-pre-Installed-Insulation-Tempered/dp/B08NW5741Z?th=1

Availability for the cheaper 500DX seems spotty when it comes to windowless models, though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

repiv posted:

the torrent looks good but the huge version is maybe too huge for my setup and the compact is apparently a pain because they shrunk the cable management space too much

One of my big holiday to-dos is to buy a bunch of fancy sleeved CableMod PSU cables and completely redo the cable management in my Torrent Compact because the knowledge of that side glass panel bowing, even it’s slight and I can’t even see it, is killing me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hopefully the compact gets a v2 revision at some point

the odd thing is they didn't make that mistake on the even smaller torrent nano, the space behind the motherboard is 32mm on the torrent huge, just 20mm on the compact, and back up to 29mm on the nano

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Fractal Define XL all the way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So many good case makers these days, we're spoiled.. Fractal, Phanteks, Corsair, I'd buy a new case to swap into every six months if I could :haw:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm happy with my Lancool. I'm surprised no one (afaik) has copied the perforated side design, for better GPU ventilation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I have two glass panels on my case and filled the thing with Noctua fans. It looks horrible and I'm making no attempt to hide it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Got one in December as well, and you know what I love the power supply on top honestly

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

repiv posted:

You can also get the Meshify 2, which is excellent.

The define 7 is also good, although less good at cooling and more good at being a giant raid array.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's fun to see more mainstream mouse reviews get a little nerdier in their testing methodology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjXeq5pHwGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

priznat posted:

That pc case dates from your high school days too!

I hate to be the wet blanket, but that case is probably reasonably new. It's just that the big box sellers still use that cheap Dell/Gateway/HP thin aluminum tooling with new siding every iteration. There's even been a few in GN's prebuild reviews recently.

Like take the plastic cladding off an alienware and what you have is f.f's picture but with a one-off proprietary motherboard and power supply because Dell.