Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

He should debunk some of his older videos then, including the one about the headphones in the very first B-roll of the video quoted.

are those the headphones that almost made him cry lmao?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

Steve tests the 4090 cable alone in the office because everyone else is taking time off. Interesting that the adapters they have is different from the one Igor tested and behaved entirely differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKjZ1djp8c

whoa you mean igor came out with some hot take that was poorly sourced and ultimately either inaccurate or a red herring? no way dude?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The source for Igor's article was a power supply manufacturer that is trying to sell shiny new ATX 3.0 PSUs. Hmm, I wonder if there could be a conflict of interest there.

It does seem bad that there are at least some number of adapters with lovely soldering, but it also seems like that's probably not the issue anyway, or at least not the primary cause of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Who was that guy who was claiming that Zen 2 would clock up to 5.0 GHz back in 2017 or something. Is he still around

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Who was that guy who was claiming that Zen 2 would clock up to 5.0 GHz back in 2017 or something. Is he still around

Probably Moore’s Law Is Dead?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kerbtree posted:

Probably Moore’s Law Is Dead?

nah, MLID didn't start his channel until 2018. This guy I'm thinking of had some kind of AMD insider credentials

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
adored prob

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

kliras posted:

adored prob

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Adored has done a couple of videos recently. I do like him, unlike the moores guy, ugh. He must keep dislocating his arms with the amount he pats himself on the back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

adored prob

Ah yeah that's the guy. Looks like he's still plugging away at content

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Yeah even if you don't care about the threatening to shoot protesters if they come near his house thing, his videos are also dogshit and he's constantly wrong about everything.

I always had a feeling jay was a chud

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jayz Two Cents

He's obviously a Warrenite

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfwhR6Bfr4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, Adored still makes videos? I like AMD and all, but his videos were so weirdly skewed towards them that I stopped watching him years ago. If you put him and the userbenchmark intel-biased guy in a furnace together you could power a small country with the rage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I skimmed through that video and it seems to be nothing but speculation and shoddy analysis based on inaccurate info. I laughed when he suggested that TSMC N5 wafers only cost $9k (recent estimations seem to put it at around $15k - $17k)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1587313687227867138?t=jp8Fn8x6xi8p9fT8VRo__Q&s=19

AMD fine wine :cheerdoge:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I skimmed through that video and it seems to be nothing but speculation and shoddy analysis based on inaccurate info. I laughed when he suggested that TSMC N5 wafers only cost $9k (recent estimations seem to put it at around $15k - $17k)

I liked the part where he said AMD could scale their architechture way higher than Nvidia because smaller die size. Ignoring that Nvidia are basically using half-length cards right now.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

AMD bias again! Steeeeveee :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The video is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4JDDCnOi0

56fps avg on a 1070, I think I would've been happy with that at some point. Apparently the same as a 3050, what a piece of poo poo lol

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 2, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MW II is a poo poo game to benchmark IMO. It’s a console first game. Even their esports league is console, PC is more an afterthought.

Of course it’ll run well on lovely hardware.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It is though a game that a lot of people are playing so has real world relevance, unlike Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I dunno how the 5700 has "outdated architecture" when it's a RDNA design, and the differences between RDNA 1 & 2 in the standard raster & shader pipeline are minimal. The big changes were the addition of ray tracing, and then a lot of work on power & frequency control. It'll be outdated when ray tracing becomes a required feature.

And the console GPUs are the same or very similar tech. For stuff without ray tracing, the PS5 GPU is pretty dang close to a 5700 (similar number of CUs, no infinity cache like on discrete RDNA2 chips). I feel like being the optimization target for every new game is a big help for performance.

I had an AMD 7870 GPU many years ago, and that was basically identical to the launch PS4/xboner GPUs (but faster clock and faster ram). I kept using that thing for over 4 years and it still had some pretty acceptable performance at the end.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

MW II is a poo poo game to benchmark IMO. It’s a console first game. Even their esports league is console, PC is more an afterthought.

Unrelated but MW is the only FPS where I regularly see PC players using a controller because of how hosed the aim assist is because it's console first AND crossplay

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
how the hell does mw2 not have fsr 2 - unless they labelled it incorrectly as fsr 1.0?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

That is not at all a given for ports where “PC is an afterthought.” Often that means the PC port is unoptimized and runs like trash, with no ability to mess with settings beyond editing an .ini file.

Your take isn’t even correct for MW2. The PC version has a massive array graphics, control, and performance options that you usually don’t even get on PC-only games. It’s clear they put a lot of effort into it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 2, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
MW2 on PC looks amazing, and runs fantastic. Apart from the occasional annoying lockup and CTD it has been a near flawless AAA game launch by PC standards.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

The video is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4JDDCnOi0

56fps avg on a 1070, I think I would've been happy with that at some point. Apparently the same as a 3050, what a piece of poo poo lol

okay that's a very funny thumbnail

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the crashes are super frustrating, but its a really good looking game, and actually runs better on my PC than Vanguard did at the same settings

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay that's a very funny thumbnail

indie rock legend John Price

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Unrelated but MW is the only FPS where I regularly see PC players using a controller because of how hosed the aim assist is because it's console first AND crossplay

that's also true of halo infinite, last i checked there wasn't a single pro player who used mouse and keyboard despite most of them playing on PC

we've gone full circle from M/KB players being able to run circles around controller players, to controller players being able to run circles around M/KB players, because games put in so many assists now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it wouldn't be so bad if the aim assist were just a nudge to level the playing field, but when you dig into how to "get good" at controller aiming it's just learning the right magic incantations to twist the aim assist into assisting you harder

like in call of duty the rotational aim assist is supposed to help you track targets when moving, and switches off if you don't touch the left stick, but if you jam your character into a corner and hold the left stick in the direction of the wall (so you don't actually move at all) the assist kicks in anyway and you get both the tracking assist and the accuracy of shooting while standing still. magic incantations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

repiv posted:

that's also true of halo infinite, last i checked there wasn't a single pro player who used mouse and keyboard despite most of them playing on PC

we've gone full circle from M/KB players being able to run circles around controller players, to controller players being able to run circles around M/KB players, because games put in so many assists now

I had to stop playing Infinite cause of this poo poo. You can watch the match replays and the controller players are basically aimbots now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

but if you jam your character into a corner and hold the left stick in the direction of the wall (so you don't actually move at all) the assist kicks in anyway and you get both the tracking assist and the accuracy of shooting while standing still. magic incantations.

huh... I will have to try this

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

huh... I will have to try this

https://i.imgur.com/kLQ7CTQ.mp4

:suicide:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Apex is also like this. Pro teams usually have 1-2 controller players.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apex at least strikes a good enough balance that M/KB is still viable, which is better than COD and Halo where you may as well not even bother playing the game seriously unless you use controller

it's at least partly because apex discriminates against PC controller players by giving them weaker aim assist (0.4 strength) than console players (0.6 strength) so console players get their standard-issue aimbot without ruining the PC version too much

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
some corrections to the ltt video about hydra, before everything spreads to reddit etc

https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1588968535199428608

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfFvEeVC4w

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

I had to stop playing Infinite cause of this poo poo. You can watch the match replays and the controller players are basically aimbots now.

Ironically, this is crossplays fault.

Console players whined so hard about being at a disadvantage against KB/M players that companies gave every controller player AA that works like a pro level KB/M player. Despite the fact that KB/M is generally much harder to learn and get good at, etc etc etc.

Companies want cross play because it makes lobbies fuller, which keeps MTX going longer, and console players were too whiny to keep it going so they’re just giving in. It sucks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What the gently caress is wrong with Youtube premium. I watched some video over at YT and it suggested me to grab a 1mo free trial. Sure dude.

So in youtube.com it reads YOUTUBE FI (which I assume means Youtube FINLAND) and in my user settings I have Location: FINLAND.

Anyways the page tells me the price is 69SEK. I think it is weird but I can't find a way to change the currency. Cool whatever, it's only 6,3€ because SEK sucks at the moment even more than EUR. I validate my Finnish University student status with sheer ID and give over my CC info. In the CC info screen my country reads as "SWEDEN" and I can't change it via a dropdown menu or anything. So I enter my otherwise Finnish address and it seems to accept my card info and says my Premium is activated.

But what the gently caress is wrong with Google/YT? I live in Finland. I'm in Finland. Google knows my address and it's in Finland. My youtube says it's the Finnish version, and my location is set to Finland. Still it gives me that SEK/Sweden poo poo and I can find no way to change it?

All normal services like, believe the user and let the user tell where they are from and let me pay with EUR. Google knows that I live in Finland but insists in Youtube Premium that my location is in Sweden and I pay in SEK instead of EUR.

W H Y :suicide:

Edit: seems this is not the youtube thread. There may not be a youtube thread, but I'll leave the rant here anyways because :effort:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have a Swedish Google Pay profile? That's where it pulls the location from.