Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

SlowBloke posted:

The only one contradicting his video is me, based on old experiences and feels without solid proof. I think his time would be better spent on pretty much anything else.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One way to test the SMM-overwriting-framebuffer vs "other method" would be to do this:

Gravis doesn't have a forums account, but I asked him to write a reply to these comments because I figure he'd be interested. Here's his take:

Gravis posted:

Hey, for future ref I don't mind people disputing my conclusions in the comments - the fact that you're worried about coming off as a dick pretty much means you're not at risk of being one imo. Anyway, here's my take:

It's possible that if I was running Windows 8 or later it could be using the BGRT, but I was running Win 7 in this video and that was never given full UEFI support. Microsoft's official statement (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...boot-mode--why-) is that 7 requires the CSM for "basic video," by which they mean BIOS int 10 services. That includes VGA and the VESA bios extensions; in other words, the usual way to get graphics on the screen without a driver in the pre-UEFI days.

They list "bugchecks and sleep transitions" as int 10 necessities, but I'm sure it includes the bootsplash as well, since if you install 7, then turn off the CSM, it'll usually boot fine - you'll just have no video until you reach a desktop and the real graphics driver initializes. People say the "basic video driver" (e.g. the VESA driver) won't work either without it, and that would use the same BIOS calls. So I'm pretty convinced that the Win 7 bootsplash is not UEFI-aware, but I wouldn't be surprised if they extended Daystarter in anticipation, so it may work as described under Win 8.

At any rate, I hadn't considered the impact of the "No GUI boot" option, so I tested it just now. I still got Daystarter (unless I turn it off in the CMOS setup, in which case I just get the expected blank screen.) This is kinda interesting because the best hypothesis I'd heard is that they're hooking int 10 calls from SMM in order to inject the jpeg every time Windows updates the screen to animate the logo, but if it isn't doing any graphics calls then there's nothing to hook. Of course, I don't really know what that setting does under the hood and couldn't readily find official documentation on it, so maybe it still updates the screen, just with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Arivia posted:

i would be extremely surprised if gravis didn't have a something awful account, might be worth pointing him to the discussion in this thread if anyone is on his patreon or whatever.

He looks like a Seattle thread poster in LAN, I've probably yelled at him before

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HKR posted:

Gravis doesn't have a forums account, but I asked him to write a reply to these comments because I figure he'd be interested. Here's his take:
I don’t think Windows has used INT 0x10h for its initialization splash since the Chicago kernel was being used.
The big give-away is that it’s not a 640*489 4-bit palette, which means it has to be VESA BIOS Extensions.
It’s possible to hook to by writing in linear framebuffer mode (maps video memory into physical memory), as there’s an interrupt vector made for that specific purpose, if memory serves.

If you get a chance to talk to Gravis again, can you ask whether he’s considered emailing the person who did the presentation at the UEFI developer conference? Because while it looks like he’s no longer at HP, I recognized the name as I’ve seen him present at OSFC and more recently he’s presented work he’s been doing at ARM.
So maybe he’s willing to shed some light onto it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don’t think Windows has used INT 0x10h for its initialization splash since the Chicago kernel was being used.
The big give-away is that it’s not a 640*489 4-bit palette, which means it has to be VESA BIOS Extensions.
It’s possible to hook to by writing in linear framebuffer mode (maps video memory into physical memory), as there’s an interrupt vector made for that specific purpose, if memory serves.

If you get a chance to talk to Gravis again, can you ask whether he’s considered emailing the person who did the presentation at the UEFI developer conference? Because while it looks like he’s no longer at HP, I recognized the name as I’ve seen him present at OSFC and more recently he’s presented work he’s been doing at ARM.
So maybe he’s willing to shed some light onto it?

Non-UEFI early initiation requires using a pile of hacks on top of int 0x10, starting with VESA BIOS Extensions 1.0 and ending with VESA BIOS Extensions 3.x. All of which is hookable with some clever ISR hooking, much of which doesn't actually require SMM, though intercepting an entire range of memory accesses would.

I'm a bit too knackered to write a proper essay on how this works, but pretty much every SVGA card from 1998 onwards has a BIOS-compatible int 0x10 ISR scheme that matches VBE 3.0 for enumerating monitor and framebuffer resolutions and computing/engaging mode switches for those that returns a physical framebuffer address that corresponds to what the video chipset is blasting into the screen. Doesn't matter if it's an ATI 3D Rage or an RTX 3080, they will spit out the right level of compatibility work to produce VBE parameters for a 2560x1440x32b framebuffer if you just ask the right questions. The same mechanism will work all the way back to asking politely for a 1024x768x32b framebuffer on an ATI Radeon 7200.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shifting this post from the GPU thread to where I think it was intended.

SlowBloke posted:

Today's techmoan has two surprises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfJahrvtuU

One in the middle and one in the end.

Mat got a Cat.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

Shifting this post from the GPU thread to where I think it was intended.

Mat got a Cat.

Phone posting got it in the wrong thread. :negative:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/AHfmA1zlGZU?si=XrklfAvd0FHKTfeE

Steve going off on PC Case company that is probably ripping off Hyte!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Linus has a weird tone deaf april fools day prank video up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you type some words about it in your post

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Its best to be experienced

They move offices into a house because they can't afford offices anymore due to declining viewership, sales and THE INCIDENT

Just another tech top gear bullshit video

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

apatheticman posted:

No it isn’t.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s not even April 1 yet ffs.

I’m glad most sites and brands have toned down the April fools poo poo because it was just eye rolling bad for a few years there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

priznat posted:

It’s not even April 1 yet ffs.

(Yeah yeah I know)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

apatheticman posted:

They move offices into a house because they can't afford offices anymore due to declining viewership, sales and THE INCIDENT

Just another tech top gear bullshit video

Also, the main "joke" is that the working conditions inside the house are intolerable because of how cramped everyone is, how they have to make do with substandard tools, and how low the pay is, but Linus doesn't care because he has an inflated ego and doesn't listen to anyone below him. So just literally the exact things he was accused of.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 1, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
He's got Elonmusk-itus

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Would be cool if Linus actually did have enough of a declining viewership that it hurt him. Sadly I very much doubt that has been the case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If there is ever a Wikipedia article for “small business tyrant” it needs to feature Linus prominently

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Linus has poo poo tons of weird tone deaf videos up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

stop giving us updates about linus tech tips videos

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inept posted:

it's literally in the thread

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Inept posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoIPD7EvEw

Here! Have a video that's a breakdown of video compression and Youtube done by Gamer Jesus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inept posted:

No

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Did he grow the beard back yet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Did he grow the beard back yet

He got divorced?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

He got divorced?

Fukkin lmao

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Literally no clue how you stomach supporting a poo poo business like Linus media group after the Madison tweets from last year. Those tweets made me go from watching maybe half a dozen vids a week to zero cold turkey

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I don’t watch them either anymore, but I do like watching the drama from the sidelines in this thread

Gaming Jesus Steve is the one true tech channel

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gaming Jesus Steve is the one true tech channel

Dawid Does Tech Stuff would like a word :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dawid is good, as is Bringus Studios and F4mi, but GN is probably still better imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're different things, I certainly don't go to GN when I want Computer Shenanigans

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DDTS is good and quirky, but he's certainly not even remotely close to GN in coverage and content.

Also, totally washed the whole Lienus ecosystem out of my life. Do not recommend channel, thumbs down seemed to work quite well.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're different things, I certainly don't go to GN when I want Computer Shenanigans

GN has the absolute best opening of all time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I used to watch one or two Linus videos every now and then when I was in the mood to see Alex do stupid poo poo with laptops or coolers but yeah after the Madison stuff I stopped. I was actually surprised that he just straight up disappeared from my recommended videos almost instantly where before he was always showing up.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Dawid Does Tech Stuff was such a good recommendation, fills that quirky tech exploration itch that I was missing after cutting out Linus.

Honestly, it's refreshing. I feel like I hand waved away all of the sketchy sponsorship bullshit that Linus did but now I just see how gross it was. To use a sponsor's money to do dumb poo poo is fine, but to turn around and review that same company's products and try to be some bastion of tech review journalism is just not possible.

I'll never forget once watching WAN Show and someone called out a review for being sponsored by the product he was reviewing. Linus defended it and said clearly that wasn't a review, it was a product showcase. And you know, he made me feel dumb for not getting that. I thought to myself oh duh, yeah that's fine because it's not a review it's an unboxing basically. But gently caress that, that's not true at all! Of course people think it's a review. You can't just call it something else, put it alongside your "real reviews" and say there's nothing wrong. You just can't have it both ways.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I feel that MKHB is a good counterpoint to LTT, both are kind of compromised review wise but I enjoy watching the occasional MKHB video because he comes off as a thoughtful person with some decent points on devices and their designs and usability etc. Whereas Linus just seems like an annoying dipshit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I've stuck pretty close to DDTS, Der8auer & GN for the tech stuff, they're all a little different but I like some of the more project/mod style stuff that GN & Der8auer do. They all fit their own niche pretty well plus adding that needed levity & humor so it's not so dry.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Dawid is good, as is Bringus Studios and F4mi, but GN is probably still better imo

I dunno, has Steve ever asked the important tech questions like "Can I build a waifu computer?"

I mean, if he has actually reviewed the hilariously dumb anime-themed computer parts, then drat, I guess he really is the GOAT.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Not just reviewed but torn down, pressure tested, thermally probed, frequency verified, and gently sniffed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-YSg1KkIQ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... okay, I stand corrected then. Touché good gentleperson, touché.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
they don't call him Tech Jesus for nothing