Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Charles posted:

Why would it be a PITA to manage? Heat pumps are way more efficient anyway.

I live in the southeast us and sometimes want supplemental heat in the winter alongside my 5 tons of heat pump. I'd imagine that won't be different in western Canada.

Though even aside from that, the mental gymnastics in this thread to defend him cutting things off in his house instead of upgrading his panel and service is baffling. What if the next owner buys an electric stove without realizing the corners which were cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Most heat pump installs here (I’m not far from Linus) involve a gas furnace or other option as well, but it usually doesn’t get a lot of work until the temperatures fall below a certain point only sometimes encountered in our winters. They’re really great options and I’m keen to get one installed at some point either in a retrofit or new build.

I would really love the ground thermal version but the installation of that is big bucks! Surprised he didn’t go that way and get it paid for by sponsorship.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

buffbus posted:

I live in the southeast us and sometimes want supplemental heat in the winter alongside my 5 tons of heat pump. I'd imagine that won't be different in western Canada.

Though even aside from that, the mental gymnastics in this thread to defend him cutting things off in his house instead of upgrading his panel and service is baffling. What if the next owner buys an electric stove without realizing the corners which were cut?

The winters in that area are very mild. I don't know the specs of the units he got, but the COP should be around 2-3 for most of the year, and and the very worst the exact same as the baseboard heat he's replacing. So if he's actually requiring more power, he has MORE heating capacity than he did before.

Getting a service and panel upgrade is an expensive thing around here, even with an electrician friend, not to mention during the middle of a pandemic.

I don't really see how replacing a stove is cutting corners, nor why they wouldn't know not to buy an electric stove? Have you somehow mistakenly put diesel in your gasoline vehicle???

Plus is that info in the video or do you have an inside source or something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

buffbus posted:

the mental gymnastics in this thread to defend him cutting things off in his house instead of upgrading his panel and service is baffling.
He did... what???

As if he could afford a panel upgrade? The gently caress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watch a doctor that posts videos on youtube about COVID-19, and the other day he was interviewed on German TV as a panelist, and he wanted to post that interview to his channel, so what he did was to view the interview on his computer, and then record it with NVidia's GeForce Experience software, and then post the recording on his youtube channel

and you know this because his video of the interview has that green "Recording has started" pop-up in the upper-right at the very beginning when you hit Alt-F9 to tell your NVidia card to start recording

I mention this because I thought it was really cool how we've moved to a point where "screen-recording your monitor in high-quality" has just become this thing that you can do with a minimum of mess and a minimum of fuss that comes "free" with your graphics card

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watch a doctor that posts videos on youtube about COVID-19, and the other day he was interviewed on German TV as a panelist, and he wanted to post that interview to his channel, so what he did was to view the interview on his computer, and then record it with NVidia's GeForce Experience software, and then post the recording on his youtube channel

and you know this because his video of the interview has that green "Recording has started" pop-up in the upper-right at the very beginning when you hit Alt-F9 to tell your NVidia card to start recording

I mention this because I thought it was really cool how we've moved to a point where "screen-recording your monitor in high-quality" has just become this thing that you can do with a minimum of mess and a minimum of fuss that comes "free" with your graphics card

yeah awhile back I wanted to record some gameplay footage and I have negative knowledge about how to really mess around with movie recording but shadowplay did the trick, it was really, really nice

e: the only caveat was the resulting file was fuckoff huge, but I'm guessing there's probably options or something to fix that that I don't know about

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Press Alt-Z to bring up the GeForce Experience overlay
then click on the gear icon on the right-hand side to go into Settings
then scroll-down to the Video capture setting and click into it

then you can set the Resolution, Frame Rate, and Bit Rate to control the quality of the recording (regardless of what your gameplay resolution is like). I have it set to 720p / 30 FPS / 10 Mbps just to keep things as small as possible because mostly it's just to post clips to my friends and Facebook compression kills all the quality anyway

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
There’s a gpu agnostic screen recorder built into windows 10 as well, press win+g

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Windows Game Bar is also good if you need an FPS meter.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Licarn posted:

There’s a gpu agnostic screen recorder built into windows 10 as well, press win+g

WinG, eh? Between this and the legacy file select in 11, kooks like 3.1 won in the end.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It really is amazing how good the built-in screen recording stuff is nowadays. I can record at a 30mbps bitrate and only lose 3 or 4 fps in a 140 fps game with my 5700 XT. I don't use it often, but I pretty much just keep the instant replay feature on all the time unless I'm running into framerate issues just in case.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The people behind fraps must be sweatin

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it Half-Life that had to be recorded by dumping still images of each frame to disk and then reassembling them? And audio had to be captured separately? We've come a long way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Was it Half-Life that had to be recorded by dumping still images of each frame to disk and then reassembling them? And audio had to be captured separately? We've come a long way.

I find it hard to believe that Half-Life didn’t at least have demos or something, but whatever game you are thinking of sounds like an absolute nightmare for sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AMD also lets you use your system memory as the recording cache for its instant replay feature, which is really nice for people who have eschewed HDDs and are worried about writing too much temp data to their SSDs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Maybe it's still like this (lol if anyone still uses it), but for a long time Fraps couldn't record anything but raw, uncompressed video data. So you'd end up with like 10GB of video on your 80GB hard drive after recording for 20 minutes at 800x600.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 18, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

Unregistered Hypercam finally has a competitor

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Arivia posted:

I find it hard to believe that Half-Life didn’t at least have demos or something, but whatever game you are thinking of sounds like an absolute nightmare for sure.

It did have demos, and that's how you would generate videos back in the day from Quake based games. You record a demo, play it back with audio and record only that, then disable audio, use another command to tell the game to dump every demo playback frame to disk, play back the demo and wait for it to output them all. Then you'd use a program to convert the images into a video file, then merge that video with audio.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The main reason do it that way (rather than FRAPS or something) was you could render out an arbitrary framerate and guarantee no frames would be dropped

Counterstrike movie makers would bake out their demos at 600fps then blend them down to 30 or 60 to get super nice motion blur, and slow motion edits without judder

You can't do that with any games past Source AFAIK, so slow motion has to be done with hacks like Twixtor

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 18, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

The Windows Game Bar is also good if you need an FPS meter.

if you don't use RTSS with HWiNFO stats piped in to the overlay so you can watch your CPU/GPU/SSD cook in real time then I dunno what you doin

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

K8.0 posted:

It did have demos, and that's how you would generate videos back in the day from Quake based games. You record a demo, play it back with audio and record only that, then disable audio, use another command to tell the game to dump every demo playback frame to disk, play back the demo and wait for it to output them all. Then you'd use a program to convert the images into a video file, then merge that video with audio.

It also made it really easy to get highlight/plays of the week in competitive play. Everyone would just send the editor their demo files which would be much smaller than raw video and give the editor the frame ticks you'd like to submit for approval.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

They already disappeared eight years ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe it's still like this (lol if anyone still uses it), but for a long time Fraps couldn't record anything but raw, uncompressed video data. So you'd end up with like 10GB of video on your 80GB hard drive after recording for 20 minutes at 800x600.

Fraps used its own codec (FPS1) so it wasn't as bad as uncompressed RGB video but yes the file sizes were still huge. The overhead to compress video on the fly to anything smaller would compromise the game or whatever you were trying to record back in 2005.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Alienware prebuilt review is finally here and it’s everything I wanted.
https://youtu.be/8ulhFi5N2hc

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

The Alienware prebuilt review is finally here and it’s everything I wanted.
https://youtu.be/8ulhFi5N2hc

I love how genuinely angry he gets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd never seen that alienware chassis being handled by a real person, rather than dell's website, I always thought it was smaller!

At one point last year I was briefly looking at those on behalf of someone in the PC building thread who didn't want to build a PC. I figured they were way more custom on the inside, and a more compact size -- not anything crazy like a Corsair One, but like sub-MATX or super-ITX size. All of their marketing photos are set up in a way that makes it look way smaller than it is. (How big are those loving monitors?) And how else would you justify the insane markup on those things?

That thing is basically a Cooler Master Q500L (the terrible one) inside a big plastic shell that makes it even worse!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’d also never seen it with anything else for scale and yeah. Alienware sponsored pro League of Legends for a few years and it’s kinda telling that their monitors were always on show (and still are but with the logos covered up) but never the Aurora. They always showed the A51 laptop instead whenever they needed to have an Alienware computer in shot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Someone in the youtube comments pointed out that the actual metal chassis comes from the Dell Precision 3640 / 3650 series workstations. I checked out Dell's page for that, and yep. They're slapping gaming components into a workstation chasis while using substantially worse cooling and attaching an airflow-stifling plastic shell over it. At this point, I'm convinced that the entire consumer desktop side of Dell's business exists as a means of offloading surplus workstation/enterprise parts.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
or like just economies of scale. there are still a lot of people who equate "dell" with "computer" who might very well use their products at work and know no better. millennials with teenaged kids for example. if someone's willing to spend more for a machine that looks like a lovely spaceship you'd better believe you stick a standard case in a useless shell, the alternative is retooling a bunch of machinery.

I would also wager, heavily, that the majority of users aren't tech literate enough to notice. you've seen this over several of Dell's line- lovely parts except weirdly excellent components on poo poo that breaks a lot, like power supplies or making sure their 3090s have cooling on the back of their PCB for their weird vram there, etc. this is because they did a bunch of testing and found those parts failed in warranty too often and as such there is a purely selfish interest in making sure only those components are decent, all the other junk will last X years until the warranty ends and then a failure actually might motivate another purchase. this also generates a perverse incentive to push their warranty extensions, because they're better value if your computer is secretly sabotaged to fail just after the standard period, lol.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
LGR Foods has a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrTupwVeCI

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cucumber on a sandwich?

Go back to England.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure who is the target market for that pc. If you are a tech-illiterate grandparent buying a gift for a grandkid, why pay nearly two grand when a $500 console appears to do the exact same task?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Someone in the youtube comments pointed out that the actual metal chassis comes from the Dell Precision 3640 / 3650 series workstations. I checked out Dell's page for that, and yep. They're slapping gaming components into a workstation chasis while using substantially worse cooling and attaching an airflow-stifling plastic shell over it. At this point, I'm convinced that the entire consumer desktop side of Dell's business exists as a means of offloading surplus workstation/enterprise parts.

That levering psu assembly thing reminded me of enterprise desktops that are designed to be toolless, so it's nice to have it confirmed that they're just enshrouding a workstation chassis in gamer plastic.

Kind of hilarious that you'd be able to get an off-lease workstation for a fraction of the cost, no giant plastic shrouds, and *the exact same chassis*

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
It was pretty hilarious watching that tear down and noticing “oh, that looks just like all* of our fleet desktops except with a GPU”.

*Okay, so most of our desktop fleet are micro form factor, but we still get a handful of full towers here and there.

That CPU cooler was shockingly bad, though. How much could that really be saving over one designed to actually cover the IHS?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Space Racist posted:

That CPU cooler was shockingly bad, though. How much could that really be saving over one designed to actually cover the IHS?

Seriously. That's the best they can do for what they're selling as a flagship gaming pc? Their intel cooler with an aluminum slug to correct the height, the fan millimeters away from the PSU sheet metal.. some VP out there is proud of the multiple dollars they saved the company

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Their older offerings used to always come with some sort of closed loop CPU cooler so seeing a stock one for a system built in 2021 is hilarious.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

Their older offerings used to always come with some sort of closed loop CPU cooler so seeing a stock one for a system built in 2021 is hilarious.

A stock AMD heatsink would be a significant improvement over that

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VostokProgram posted:

why pay nearly two grand when a $500 console appears to do the exact same task?

When the consoles are not in stock, a gaming pc is the next best thing for a non-technical parent/grandparent. Right now my local GameStop has a counter with a DAYS SINCE THE LAST SERIES X SHIPMENT which is always in the triple digits.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Found a guy who does teardowns of chargers. Not too Big Clive, but opening up a chargers did involve a rubber mallet and I'd not personally be happy pointing at stuff on a board with a metal spatula, even once I'd disconnected the battery and discharged the caps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbHlweun5NkTVDGmeqGmwjA

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's also that guy that looks at dodgy chargers but I can't remember their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

he's worked out he can get a ton of free home tech from a million companies desperate for the exposure and offset the cost with a bunch of videos, lmao.

followon to this, if you want to watch what i imagine is a very close facsimile (he even jokes about it) to the meetings that lead to the linus home improvement sagas, watch the most recent WAN show. there, linus sorta kind of jokingly but not jokingly wants to drop a third of a million dollars on a TV, which i expect is well within his financial capabilities. he obviously can't justify it, though, so you see exactly what happens: if i was going to how would i monetize it, what kind of content and particularly how much content could we milk out of it to amortize it (you know, x "we're building this stupid tv that costs the same as a house!" videos, x "gaming on gigantic tv!" videos, x "water cooling my 300k TV since it produces several thousand watts worth of waste heat and using it to warm my pool!" videos, etc) and finally how low can we talk the tech company into giving it to us if in exchange for spon con, and how his current 9k+ tv was free for that reason.

they're quite direct about it in that jokey way, you know, many a true thing said in jest and all that. it's a good racket, honestly - it's how the "influencer economy" functions.