Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

an actual dog posted:

It's very GN to get a case that tops all their charts in the ways it should,

Did you miss how it tops all their charts because at stock 100% fan speed it's about as loud as a window box fan? On noise-normalized 36dB it's good but not a revelation from god. Average the CPU & GPU and it's really not much different from a lancool II or phanteks 400A.

That said the front panel grill is swank as gently caress and it's got a ton of nice interior features. But it's also not very expandable / full of options like a O11 or other similarly priced cases, which I think is why they're a bit anti-hyping it. One thing they didn't mention was the dust filter on the bottom fans, how accessible is it? Bottom intake fans have to be cleaned constantly, any case that relied on bottom intake and didn't have convenient cleaning would get an X from me.

edit: wait, what the gently caress is up with that 36dBA chart anyways? it looks like order by CPU, but then halfway down there's poo poo out of order.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They simply misplaced the H710 and the TD500 on that chart.

I'm kind of surprised that the GPU runs as warm as it does in that case. Not that it runs especially hot or anything, but with three fans blowing up at it, I would've expected better performance. Perhaps with their positive pressure, limited exhaust approach, the front 180mms are overpowering the bottom intakes and those can't pull in as much air as a result?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

edit: wait, what the gently caress is up with that 36dBA chart anyways? it looks like order by CPU, but then halfway down there's poo poo out of order.

I think they messed up the sort. It seems to say at the top that it's sorted by cpu temp but the H710 and be quiet 500DX are in the wrong order, so I thought they might have sorted by combined temps but if you add them together it's the wrong order as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah I guess just sorting fuckup, with the volume of charts they produce I just couldn't imagine they didn't have an automated process to produce them.

mewse posted:

so I thought they might have sorted by combined temps but if you add them together it's the wrong order as well.

I'd like it if they did their sorting by averaging CPU & GPU in case reviews. (maybe weighted like 2/3rds CPU + 1/3rd GPU, since GPUs are normally hotter?)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the GPU runs as warm as it does in that case. Not that it runs especially hot or anything, but with three fans blowing up at it, I would've expected better performance. Perhaps with their positive pressure, limited exhaust approach, the front 180mms are overpowering the bottom intakes and those can't pull in as much air as a result?

Alternately, the 140s and 180s are blowing at right angles which is gonna make for very turbulent air, or possibly a dead pocket at worst.

In techpowerup's review the Torrent had no trouble with GPU temp. If turbulence is a factor it'd have big swings for even small changes -- a different GPU might have zero trouble.

Ironically that might be a case where less fans produces better results. I'd try turning off the front-most 140mm fan and see if it lowers GPU temp.

more edit: also that TPU review shows that the bottom fan filter pulls out from the front but you have to pop off the front panel to do it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 19, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1428190548570038273?s=19

He has went full chud....

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What was the last thing he did that was relevant? He surely ran out of consoles to strap to a PSone LCD a while ago.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

What was the last thing he did that was relevant? He surely ran out of consoles to strap to a PSone LCD a while ago.

I liked that he made accessible controllers for people. This sucks.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Klyith posted:

Did you miss how it tops all their charts because at stock 100% fan speed it's about as loud as a window box fan? On noise-normalized 36dB it's good but not a revelation from god. Average the CPU & GPU and it's really not much different from a lancool II or phanteks 400A.

It's more impressive when you compare it to cases that are as large as it is, there's stuff that won't fit into those cases that will in this one. That plus the cool factor is what gets me excited, even if something smaller would make more sense.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oh my, it's so much worse than I expected.

https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1427446338564788229?s=20

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Ben has been on the downslide for awhile. He's tweeted things comparing vaccine cards to the Nazis, a conspiracy that Andrew Cuomo is only being forced out because he criticized COVID rules, etc. It's extra disturbing when an otherwise smart person goes down that rabbit hole. I almost understand it when a person has little education and grew up in a deep red state surrounded by homophobia and xenophobia that they're willing to believe any conspiracy about "the libs," but Ben used to seem so reasonable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watching the GN Fractal Torrent review now and I do enjoy that Steve keeps bringing up that a case called "torrent" doesn't have much space for storage.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So this random video popped up in my feed, and I do kinda get a bored kick out of watching home gamers build garbage benches and furniture.

I am sitting there thinking wow, this dude sounds so much like 8-Bit Guy, it's scary.

And then look who pops in at 8:30. The world is too small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KfWMJV7fQ0

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
They have to be related, I refuse to believe they're not

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Best of luck to them for taking risks I guess, but I see people signing leases on commercial premises to support a YouTube channel and I just worry that their main source of income is at the whim of Google deciding whether you're right for them or not. I guess that's why merch sales are so important.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I stopped watching his videos early in the pandemic because there were small signs that his brain was breaking, but yeah, COVID fully broke ben heck's brain lol

pzy posted:

They have to be related, I refuse to believe they're not

Yes, that's actually his brother.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Does 8-Bit Guy intentionally dress like that as part of a joke, or is that his natural fashion sense?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He’s from Stroud so I feel it’s natural.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've recently gotten super into LGR's videos and now I'm browsing ebay for 486 PC parts. Send help.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Space Racist posted:

Does 8-Bit Guy intentionally dress like that as part of a joke, or is that his natural fashion sense?

Whatever you think about 8BG, I don't think anyone can disagree that he's the world's biggest dork.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That isn't quite the worst thing to know about the 8 Bit Guy

https://twitter.com/RealTimeKodi/status/1309886976837980161?s=19

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Was the first one filmed in 3d?

Edit: the sadder one is where he says you're a target at a school because it's a gun free zone or something like that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Space Racist posted:

Uh, what's wrong with a simple shirt and bermuda shorts?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, what's wrong with a simple shirt and bermuda shorts?

Nothing IMO but maybe you and I are the 2nd and 3rd dorkiest in the world behind 8BG.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So are 90% of the male population in the US during warmer seasons.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
TBH I was mostly focused on the New Balance dad shoes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

At least wear clothes that fit instead of some formless baggy mess and shorts with gigantically wide legs that go beneath the knees.

It's not that hard to buy a decent pair of jeans or well-cut shorts and a short sleeved shirt or polo shirt. Maybe you won't be the height of fashion, but at least you won't look like you just grabbed something at random from the closet, without turning on the lights.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nothing compares to his galaxy brained ramblings right after Sandy Hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudpW2cwuPs

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

At least wear clothes that fit instead of some formless baggy mess and shorts with gigantically wide legs that go beneath the knees.

It's not that hard to buy a decent pair of jeans or well-cut shorts and a short sleeved shirt or polo shirt. Maybe you won't be the height of fashion, but at least you won't look like you just grabbed something at random from the closet, without turning on the lights.

Who gives a poo poo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

he's just helping his brother move some furniture dude

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Trying to look like The Dude only works if you are The Dude.

Middle-aged "I've given up on life" is not a good look.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've recently gotten super into LGR's videos and now I'm browsing ebay for 486 PC parts. Send help.

LGR retro tech videos are my easy listening choices.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warmachine posted:

LGR retro tech videos are my easy listening choices.

Clint knows it's the food videos that keep us subscribed.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

he's just helping his brother move some furniture dude

TBF I would probably put some effort even into a moving day outfit if it were going to be recorded for YouTube.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Space Racist posted:

TBH I was mostly focused on the New Balance dad shoes.

I have and most of the year wear new balance 990s. Boomer-dad checking in I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Healthy comfortable feet are important.

(And a lot of sneakers come in pretty sleek all-black versions)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NB are 'in' y'all. Or so I hear.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
How about a home silicon chip fab in a garage ? He's at 1970s level now with 1000 transistors on a chip - very very cool stuff,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS5ycm7VfXg

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3kE-3ZLA0Q

Steve's DnD ranting is hilarious

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hey, when you have a body like a melted candle you have to find something to make you feel like a man. Bald dork with bad posture buying fast food while open-carrying is the new midlife crisis sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What is the gun he's open carrying

Is that a 10/22

lmao he can't even loving commit, and pack a real centerfire rifle round