Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks Ants posted:

I think if you priced the iFixit screwdriver stuff up against Wera/Wiha drivers then it would look like very good value

The Wera drivers are so good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

But they bought ARM for 40 billion dollars, and they didn't get that money by giving away GPUs. They got $40 billion from our collective wallets

Really? I though the majority of that deal was stock, and that they “only” had 10-15B in cash.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Their stock is pretty correlated to how many video cards they sell.

Give or take the irrationality of the stock market, yeah. I’d apparently misunderstood you saying that they paid for ARM out of GPU revenues, and $40B of accumulated nerd-tithe savings seemed like a lot more than I thought they had on hand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

What part is not happening, the crash to desktop in games? It was definitively happening and multiple reportscases of unsubstantiated speculation said that capacitor choices were at least part of the issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

When EVGA went and gave statements saying that capacitors were a problem, it's much more than speculation by randos.

Wasn't EVGA's statement about hitting a boost target and not about crashing?

e;fb

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 8, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EngineerJoe posted:

EVGA did corroborate the findings saying they discovered the all 'poscap' design didn't pass their testing.

That was about it not reaching their target boost clocks, not about it crashing, I believe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Purgatory Glory posted:

But I also know poo poo-all about the nitty gritty of computer tech.

Watching Tech Deals seems like it’ll keep it that way!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s not illegal, he would just have to do a lot more work to do it legally, especially internationally.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Legally, yes, AIUI.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Romes128 posted:

Thermaltake has been accused of copying case designs from Fractal and Caselabs a couple years ago. Google it, a ton of stuff shows up.

Did they at least copy good designs well?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

I wonder if dumb stock buys can qualify as a business write off in the hectic world of youtube celebrities

I think so, yeah, but he’d have to treat the proceeds of sale as company revenue even if it was at a loss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LionArcher posted:

people are less into smart phones now.

What do you mean by this? It still seems like everyone has a smartphone and new iPhones get jumped on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainPsyko posted:

Please please please tell me this is just Steve being droll and that I am not that old at the ripe age of thirty-loving-seven.

I thought he was asking about the history of the dolls, not the history of the characters in general. I will continue to think that, thank you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EVIL Gibson posted:

its not for media playback. it's for offline neural net processing because you cannot be online on the road.

it's for the camera object recognization.

I thought the AI processing was separated from the infotainment stuff. I wonder how they handle scheduling if it’s a shared resource. That used to be a big problem just in VR, let alone safety applications.

Or do you mean that it’s for local training of the network? I hadn’t heard that they were doing that either!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The founder of Framework is a former colleague of mine from Oculus, and I think his team is going to be able to find valuable components for people to buy from them. The AliExpress MagSafe thing isn’t Framework’s business plan, it’s just Linus freestyling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It may be related to the manufacturer having restrictions on how their branding can be used, but it’s almost certainly not to keep anyone who really cares from identifying the device.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kerbtree posted:

Yeah, but every android device is Java. It’s on blu ray players too iirc

Android doesn’t run Java, it just uses the Java toolchain for development.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sure an edge case exists but I can't imagine log4j ever becoming relevant to anyone whose main use for their desktop is gaming and posting

Like, sure you'd interact with a website where it matters, but why would you ever patch it yourself

Other than Minecraft, in which I think the modern discovery was made, I think that’s right. Maybe from some huge Acrobat-like grotesquery that packages a JVM, but marginal even then.

Happily, Java applets are nice and dead at this point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I respect any online store that actually observes holidays and gives their staff vacations.

Thats not B&H then, with their racially segregated bathrooms and discrimination against non-Jewish employees. Their history of labour complaints and lawsuits is pretty unpleasant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

goddamn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

"should" seems a bit much - perhaps rephrase it to "can"

“must”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Adolf Glitter posted:

the analyst-influencer thing puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me being old

This is sort of funny to me, given that analysts were the original tech-industry influencers, right down to the boondoggle research trips and fancy dinners from vendors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

HPC clusters doing scientific calculations like that done at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory need storage at exabyte scales with bandwidth enough that a single 100Gbps fiber interface isn't going to be enough.
Their current solution is Lustre on top a ZFS pool using a truly massive set of disks.

When I worked on developing Lustre and the first deployment at LLNL in ~2004 (on top of extN), we broke Linux’s df and some other utilities because they couldn’t handle exabyte-sizes filesystems. Livermore took something like 15 years to promote Lustre to full production use from its initial “scratch” deployment; they’re serious about their hard-to-reproduce data being safe. (In terms of unclassified stuff, at least. I don’t know if they were more aggressive with Q and friends.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoombatINC posted:

You could house a family of four in that 011D EVO XL and they'd still have room for a large dog to run around, and I love every overengineered bit of it :allears:

And with all the GPU orientations it would be an LGBTQ+-friendly house!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rexxed posted:

It's an interesting idea but I suspect unless you had a heat exchanger to isolate the two systems then the tiny structures in the computer cooling part would get clogged up over time with microorganisms or just detritus. Plus, with PC cooling there's such a ramp up and down with CPU power and heat dissipation you'd probably need to be able to independently start and stop the cooling so you don't cook the fish. Maybe with a much bigger tank, temperature control hardware, and a link to be able to throttle the system up or down if needed.

Yeah, maybe some sort of heat exchanger with a buffer tank between them so you could store excess heat and decouple computer usage timing from tank heating timing. My thermodynamics knowledge is as bad as all my other physics knowledge so…

Why am I mind-building this? I don’t even want an aquarium or open-loop cooler really. Well, not very much. Probably.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

F.D. Signifier posted:

edit: they painted a motherboard black and were surprised when it didn't work?!!

Lots of people are raised in households that don’t believe in motherboard photophilia.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

i honestly tried to buy one but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price when i built this system

I thought a PC speaker was just a little speaker connected to those two pins on the front panel cluster? Surely there are little speakers you can get from AliExpress or some shop in Pacific Mall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

this thing is so pointlessly huge what the hell

Saving this post for the 5090 AIB size leaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And to be slightly fair to our shithole country, it's not just us. I have not been following it too closely but "Bill C-11" has passed in Canada which, as I understand it, regulates what Canadians can watch so that they're steered to "patriotic" Canadian content? Both Muta and J.J McCullough have done videos on it. C-11 seems far worse than even the Restrict and Earn It Acts, but give it time; I'm sure the geezers in congress are working on an American version of that as well.

That’s not my read of C-11, but I’m not a parliamentary law expert by any means. It seems like it’s just another bite at the cancon apple, to prop up Canadian content makers, and doesn’t seem to say anything about patriotism or other values.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malloc Voidstar posted:

i'm putting the random images i share into a cloudflare r2 bucket behind a domain i own (so that when i forget to renew it all the posts die)

do you do that from mobile? I was going to set up an r2 or s3 thing but don’t really want to write a mobile app for that part because I’m lazy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

Oh yeah, and seeing people like HUB say the AI stuff was convincing is making me feel like I’m having a stroke.

What did it convince them of?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

AI generated rear end video title.

DRVG misread it, the title as screencapped is perfectly fine language

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

Its generally considered good journalistic practice to give right of reply though

this is mostly because typically the journalist had a much broader reach than the person being criticized, which doesn’t really hold here

(“both sides” bullshit is all too often considered good journalism, though)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man I was going to reply to Lister about journalism poo poo and I typed a long thing and then my app crashed, so then I read the rest of the thread and thanks all for doing that for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Grumbles posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say that the LTT community itself is by and large upset at this point. I just dipped into their forum out of curiosity and the first thing I read in the thread about the controversy was someone comparing this situation to a school shooting or terrorist attack. I can't even tell which side that poster was on, but either way its bad vibes at casa Linus

the ltt reddit is savaging him. I checked so you don’t have to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LGD posted:

when in fact GN teed them up a ridiculously easy (and non-personally adversarial) PR response as an organization (at least if, y'know, the owner hadn't seemingly taken the broad and well supported organizational criticism personally and deflected attention to a second issue where he was immediately caught in a lie)

This is so true. Linus had a huge opportunity to “come to Tech Jesus” and repent meaningfully for the previous known and systematic sloppiness, and everyone would have rallied around him to support the new, thoughtful LMG. That he didn’t means that probably a) they really can’t afford to be more thoughtful because only a completely reckless approach to content can cover the cheques that Linus has written, or b) he is really not capable of that thoughtful interrogation of his history as a corporate leader. Neither is a good situation.

The LMG CEO has to be furious, if he isn’t a complete, abject moron.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lister posted:

Steve could have directly questioned Linus and maybe gotten specific answers about what the root cause is instead of Linus immediately being defensive about loving over Billet Labs.

What single piece of evidence makes you think that Linus would have been the slightest bit honest about that, when the problem is him, by definition of his role in the enterprise? Linus has never shown the tiniest bit of self-awareness.

Linus has also said, directly and explicitly, that it wasn’t worth spending the additional time to fix errors that were in videos, blanching at the less-than-4-backpacks cost of reshooting and re-editing a segment of video that was found to have been inaccurate. Steve didn’t just encounter Linus for the first time this week.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlapYoJacks posted:

LMG is a juggernaut and won’t be stopped by this if Linus can keep from opening his mouth a few more times.

He’s going to open his mouth a dozen more times, and LMG won’t be stopped anyway. But they’re going to drop a tier of nerd-cred and Linus will hate that forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pay me $60k a year to hit Linus with a newspaper every time he starts to open his mouth.

That labour is worth way more than $60K/year to society, don’t underprice yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Catpain Slack posted:

People telling you to gently caress off because you post like a dipshit is not "mob mentality"

I took a long time to learn that lesson, thanks YOSPOS for wisdom.