Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I like the "read off an A4" style because it fits what Steve is all about. He's the complete opposite of Linus. Linus is all about theatrics and everything has to be dramatic. Steve just gives it to you straight. I put on his recaps when I'm doing dishes or whatever. Also, his undramatic dead pan deliveries mean that when he gets heated about something it actually matters. GN takedowns are infinitely more effective and meaningful than those of other channels.

But, at the same time it is fun when they do break from it so I can understand the comment wishing they'd do it more. I'd just hate for them to become tryhard like many of the other tech channels.

GN will always hold the award for the most viscerally disturbing 40 seconds of PC hardware content ever filmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

Holy poo poo Iíve never seen that. That made me wheeze laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I hate literally everything about that video. His delivery, his script, the way he dremeled the SIDES of the loving screw and damaged the housing of the power supply. :(

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Who need thermal paste? Just cook steak on your CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAEXuONMJCQ

(i've probably already posted this dude in this thread but his channel is full of CPU cooking vids)

Now this is loving content.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh no not some garbage old computer that was rotting in a warehouse broken anyway.

I think people are more clowning about a dude running a tech tube channel being unable to understand the basics of removing screws.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I use Wiha stuff for work when work is footing the bill. Otherwise I'd go all out on Wiha for my personal poo poo, too. I can't recommend Wiha enough.

I've been eyeing iFixit stuff for a while precisely cause it'd just be for personal use so all this feedback from real users is appreciated on top of the YouTuber "I'm not sposnroed I just love this so much" stuff.

Wiha stuff is amazing. Even though the handles are plastic, they still feel really good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

The 8-bit Guy put out a video defending himself... exclusively on his Patreon. He did say in the post it could be linked elsewhere that his IBM Executive Workstation video is being discussed, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYopBjwhF1M

I canít bring myself to watch this.

Heís clearly trying to emulate his delivery style after the dude from smarter every day, but he just sounds like a goober.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

lol some nerds are salty at the Retro Man Cave guy rebranding his channel to take Man out of the name to be nice and inclusive

https://youtu.be/WLMgbV3uaz8

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

More of this please. Glorious.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Get refurbished HM or Steelcase chairs from liquidators. They'll be around or even below the cost of the gaming :rice: nonsense, will easily outlast them, and help maintain good posture. Plus most are available in mesh versions to keep your goon assess cool.

I watched the GN video this morning after waking up way too early for some reason. As Steve said, the blindfold tests are fun but not really meaningful. IMO there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • People are different so if someone says they don't find a chair comfortable, it doesn't mean you won't either
  • There are tons of adjustments so you need to find the best one, the initial impression might not really representative
  • What might feel comfortable initially, won't necessarily be after 8 hours, or be good for your posture long-term
  • The height and shape of your table, the position of the keyboard and monitors also play a huge role
  • I find the headrest to be also very important especially if I'm reclining a lot

I got a Steelcase Think earlier this year when it became clear we'll be WFH for the foreseeable future. It took me a week or maybe two to find the settings that work for me, and now I really like it. I might try replacing it with a Leap V2 if they show up, but I haven't seen them locally yet.

Any suggestions how to find these? Iím in NYC and I feel like I can never find any when there should be tons.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

t-shirt is, predictably, sold out

Back up for backorder if you want it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I really hate the sickeningly upbeat, inflectiony stuff. I just want the content, and I like it delivered in audio form so I can do other stuff while listening. I donít need to be sold on ďheh heís such a cool dudeĒ bullshit, or to be entertained too much.

I find Steveís delivery perfect. It also makes the rare comedy moments 100x better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I feel like the most popular tech tubers havenít been putting out that much content lately. Austin, TLD used to have a video like every five days and now itís a couple weeks between events. Even MKBHD seems to have slowed down. Iím sure part of it is Covid, but it also seems like that space has become more mature and people are less into smart phones now.

Weíre in the dead months where no one releases anything. Thatís all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Romes128 posted:

I don't follow many tech tubers anymore, but LTT are the only ones I see wearing masks.

His staff is also giant.

I think a team that has a super small staff like GN massless is fine. ďPoddingĒ in small offices is rather common.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Also they do run other games. I've seen them run cyberpunk and doom eternal multiple times. They don't add them to the charts, but they do showcase more recent games.

Also we're 3 months into 2021, pointing out MS Flight Simulator is kinda stupid on that guys part.

Also GNSteve's response to the second tweet;

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1372743247995543553?s=20

:perfect:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao.

This is so loving good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh boy YIKESAROO

relatedly, Greg Salazar in a recent video pointed out that the Verge guy failed to screw in one of the four brackets on the AIO, so it really was a bad guide, straight up

___

tangentially: one thing I've never quite seen anyone recommend in "how to build" videos is to have a checklist

the second-to-the-last time I tore down my computer to clean it, I completely forgot to reattach the CPU fan to the cooler/fins, and I only realized this when I'd already built everything back up, so I was so obstinate about not wanting to tear it down again I spent the next 20 minutes trying to reattach the fan and plug it in with everything else already inside the case, which was really difficult because one side of the cooler was right up against the top of the case and there was barely any clearance for my fingers to push the CPU brackets around the fins. It probably would have been faster to take it down/out, but I was too hard-headed

so the last time I did another tear down, this time to install a new CPU, I wrote down the order of the parts as I removed them:

and when I was putting it back together, I went from bottom-to-top, checking it off as I went along, to make sure I didn't forget anything

I like this approach. Another good one is to put your screws in separate bin buckets in the exact same order so you just pull them out in reverse.

A ton of us (and probably techtube people in general) forget how important something like this is for a new builder. Many of us can just eye check and know if something is missing, and don't need any sort of guide to tear out whatever and put it back, so we forget.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

ice cube trays are pro, but you know those effervescent multivitamins that come in little tubes? i really like recycling those into loose screw holders - the weird quasi-screw top can easily be sealed/opened with one hand, if you do accidentally drop one with no cap you've still got a very good chance of them staying in as the weight is on the bottom and you can keep a few on the go at once.

You can also shove some magnetic tape in the bottom as long as you use magnetic drivers or have tiny fingers.

:science:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm not rich enough for this, but should anyone else be:

https://www.lttstore.com/3080liquidtorxafterburner

This is already gone.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

At least with console fandom, stupid as it is, you can see how its rooted in not wanting buyer's remorse over missing out on console exclusive games or whatever. And with graphics cards you get certain technologies that are exclusive to either vendor. But this whole team red/team blue thing is literally just rooted in ... whichever one does maths the fastest for cheapest? And yet people get just as tribal as with everything else?

You donít have an intel inside (tm) tramp stamp? Because I do.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Does anyone actually do anything with the little glitzy stickers that come with their CPUs? I feel like to slap it on my case would somewhat defeat the point of having built my own PC from scratch

It lives in the motherboard box with all the useless garbage they send.

Or goes to my kid.

I thought it was cool when I built my first unit at like 13.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prices fluctuate , it happens.

I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz CL14 about 4 years ago for $180 USED (trident Z, no RGB). And this is not age pricing, a year before that it was down near $100.

Same kit about a year and a half ago was down to like $80.

Now itís back up. Itíll go down again. Thereís DRAM shortages due to supply issues, partially due to Covid and partially due to the Texas freeze that shut down Samsungís DRAM factory for a few days. Itíll swing like everything else.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CayBoXmyf0s#t=780s

"I want the companies to know that we're insane, and we'll spend every dollar to validate their claims."

God I love this channel.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

beyond cultivating an enthusiast fanbase the modmats are well designed products, honestly. exactly tuned to their audience of people who want to start tinkering, probably very inexpensive to produce and yet including content that is unambiguously GN even before the unique branding.

I want one of the large so fuckin bad but shelling out 100 bones is too much right now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The entire point of the exercise is to find pre-builts that could be recommended to non-computer people, since not every computer-knower wants to build and support a system for all their friends and family. So, even if parts were purchasable at retail prices (or at all), you also have to factor in support/warranty on top of labor. The point is not to find the exact parts you want but somehow cheaper in a pre-built.

This is why I will only build for kids (they have to help build it). Wanna be the cool dad/uncle and maybe introduce them to the hobby.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Somehow I feel like kids shouldn't be navigating any websites unsupervised. At least until they're 13-14.

Lol.

You should do your best to pay attention, and lock down where you can, but thatís not the reality any more. Parents canít watch what their kid is doing 100% of the time, and the internet point of contact is no longer some super slow box in the living room for all to see.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

The Alienware prebuilt review is finally here and itís everything I wanted.
https://youtu.be/8ulhFi5N2hc

I love how genuinely angry he gets.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Iím honestly ok with it. Itís a great way to generate content where everyone wins.

Linus gets something he wants.
The channel gets easy content to milk.
Viewers get something interesting
Company gets advertising, may get lucky and a clip may go viral.

Kinda a win all around.

Edit: Iím rephrasing this to say as long as itís made very clear it is sponsored content. Being deceptive about it or lying about faults makes it 100% a lovely thing to do.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

I'm kinda not ok with the whole deal as a general state of affairs, because for every Linus / LTT there will be 100s of MKBHDs and worse. LTT isn't the problem, but there's not a lot of space for people who can have a multi-million sub count and monetized underwear.

In fact, even LTT is not exactly wonderful despite not being IMO dishonest or anything. But the thing is, their gear review videos are almost exclusively about high-end expensive semi-sponsored poo poo these days. Not sponsored as in a paid ad, but getting free multi-K product where the company picks exactly what to give them. And the problem with that is the the average LTT video on hardware is "wow this is amazing" for 20 minutes followed by "but is it worth the price? probably not" in the last minute.

All reviewers get free poo poo, but the choice of what to review and how to present it is as important as anything else.

I donít think itís fair to stay that LTT shouldnít do content like that because lovely channels like MKBHD exist.

And LTT has decided the content they want to make is geared towards high end stuff. Thereís plenty of review channels for mid range and low end stuff. Thereís absolutely no reason LTT has to do low end if they donít want to, as long as theyíre honest like youíre saying they are (I donít watch LTT).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Look, the guy is an idiot, but this is not really his fault.

I hate the fact that society deems it ok for a multi-national, multi-billion $ revenue company to be exceptionally, intentionally lovely to make additional money. Selling that machine with a spinning hard drive for boot is essentially a scam (and if you think otherwise you're loving delusional), and it should not be legal for such a large company to do such lovely things.

To defend Dell in any capacity with "The customer should have been smarter so they didn't get intentionally screwed by this company with billions of dollars". I'm not even talking yet about the fact that Dell intentionally designs their site to make these kinds of mistakes easier.

In my eyes, defending Dell here is equivalent to defending BP for pushing climate change blame onto individual consumers, or saying that if a company sold something they knew was defective, it's the consumers fault for not researching and finding that fault. Pro-corporate, anti-consumer bullshit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Angry Steve is best Steve.

GN has literally never lost one of these slap fights with a company. They do not publish stuff like this unless they are 1000% sure about it. The fact that they took nearly 6 months to publish the original piece shows the lengths they go to validate.

This is arguably dumber than what NZXT did. NZXT just agreed there was a problem, maybe, and kind of lied about fixing it. Gigabyte not only did that, but also accused GN of bad reporting and misleading testing. This is going to get ugly for Gigabyte.

That GPU dying is icing on the cake too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oh my, it's so much worse than I expected.

https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1427446338564788229?s=20

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mewse posted:

I've been using gigabyte stuff since the core 2 duo era which was just after the capacitor plague and gigabyte advertised "ultra durable" motherboards with 100% japanese capacitors. My current Z370 motherboard is from gigabyte, and dealing with their bios during overclocking had me admitting to myself that they're just another OEM.

It's just unfortunate that they'd let their reputation drop like this to save money on a recall. GN is being pretty open about their testing methodology and surely gigabyte can reproduce these failures in a lab. They have an argument that the test is synthetic, not reflecting real world usage, but the PSU should fail gracefully rather than exploding and for a company that wants a reputation for reliability they are losing a lot of trust.

They donít have this excuse.

Iíll choose to believe GN that these are tested similarly at factory level.

Additionally, they tested a bunch of other PSUs the same way and they didnít fail, let alone explode. If they just failed from this testing, GN wouldnít be pushing so hard, but they loving explode under reproducible conditions. That should never happen.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

Is it wrong for GN to put a clip of gigabyte PSUs blowing up into every video they've made for the last month? I'm sure there are some totally nice people getting fired from Gigabyte right now, because the company is staring at a giant loss coming up. A bunch of them probably have nothing to do with the PSUs. Stop crucifying Gigabyte!

Absolutely not wrong.

Theyíre trying to force their hand to stop being so lovely.

GN (correctly) clearly believes these PSUs pose a genuine risk of starting an actual fire, which could easily result in loss of life or the total loss of someoneís home.

Itís abhorrent that gigabyte is handing it the way they are. Look at GNís coverage of the fractal case. One video and done, no more mention. GN clearly feels this is their responsibility to force gigabyte to properly recall this product, and Iím absolutely positive if gigabyte had done the right thing after the first piece they would have dropped it already.

IMO they should continue until gigabyte does the right thing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Itís been clear for years that LTT is an entertainment program. Itís top gear for computer poo poo. You donít go to top gear for serious reviews of car stuff. You go there to see car related entertainment and banter. You donít go to LTT for serious reviews, you go there to see computer related entertainment and banter. It doesnít try to hide that, itís naked, blatant tomfoolery with some info sprinkled in.

Clutching pearls that he reviewed a laptop after saying he shouldnít because he owns a tiny stake in a company that makes laptops is just being outraged to be outraged.

Sorry but thatís a bullshit cop out. See the Alex Jones comment.

Waving away ethical concerns with ďno one in their right mind would believe this is objectiveĒ is how we have sandy hook denial, anti-vax, election fraud garbage, etc etc.

The general populous is very clearly too stupid for this to be an acceptable defense.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

well why not posted:

Is it a conflict of interest if say, MKBHD or Gruber have a fuckload of Apple shares?

Yes. 100%. Unless it is explicitly disclosed, within the video, by the individual themselves.

Shipon posted:

Comparing "he roughed up a laptop" to people spouting race war poo poo is a pretty flippant attitude to have toward the latter

Itís not comparable. But itís the same style of bullshit.

Thereís a reason there are so many legal regulations regarding marketing. Because itís too easy to abuse celebrity trust to make a quick buck.

I canít say that I find it acceptable for any media member to pretend to be impartial when they are obviously not.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

The conflict of interest still exists even after you disclose it. The disclosure is just the bare minimum you need to do (particularly with stocks, where you might get in actual legal trouble over non-disclosure).

The thing is, a conflict of interest in and of itself isn't a terrible violation. It's only bad if you let it influence you... or appear to influence you. And subconscious influence is a thing!

It's not just about disclosure, it's about recognizing and reminding yourself about the conflict, and giving an extra critical look at it / an extra fair shake to the other side.

(Now, do tons of actual journalists and like 99.9% of youtube completely fail these and other guidelines? Sure. Do better. Linus dove headfirst into a completely avoidable situation, he should be bending over backwards for other laptops.)

This is pretty perfectly stated. Avoid conflicts, and go out of your way when you canít avoid it to be ridiculously clear that you may be biased.

GN did a video recently, I forget which one, but I think it was the one where they explained when thermal cameras were appropriate for benchmarks. In the video every single time GN disagreed with someone else or said someone could be wrong, Steve repeated over and over that there was a conflict of interest, and that they could easily be biased in their opinion, and they may not be right because of it.

Itís about as close to the gold standard you can get when thereís a conflict outside of avoiding it outright.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The GN coasters are nice. They were very genuine about everything being a balanced height, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Wtf are you comparing it against, Linux? Because it's definitely still true re: Apple.

Thatís absolutely untrue and youíre insane.

Apple will push software updates for all devices that are physically fast enough to support the software, AND theyíll push security updates for older OSís to support those devices that canít.

Edit: just to add to this, businesses running their hardware on winXP cause they refuse to upgrade is not windows supporting older hardware.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 29, 2021