Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can't wait for Linus to go on vacation again so his staff can do whatever they want for a week again.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

LTT did that already. Mustard won. Nutella not so much.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I wouldn't say any specific bit of my iFixit kit has a significant amount of heft. The driver base is heavier than, say, a standard plastic handle screwdriver but that's about it.

I mostly only pull mine out for when I'm doing maintenance on my desktop and so far the bits have held up a lot better than the previous driver kit I bought.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

well why not posted:

The gold controller is cool. Absolutely awful use of money, but if you watch LTT and expect him to be responsible with cash that's on you.

I mean the man has a personal goal of making sure every employee of his can afford to buy a house. Even if he doesn't pay the best in the business, compared to most business owners he's already being irresponsible with his cash in, uh, maybe a good way?

Not going to lie, I wish I had an employer that was hell bent on making sure I could afford to buy a house.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Number of Steam games owned.

Something our forum has ensured good coverage for in the past.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Sounds like they'd like Floatplane.

:smuggo:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The trick is that character's name isn't the title of their game.

That's Link.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i have to admit when they suggested that i thought "someone, somewhere, has built water cooling out of a faucet somehow."

LTT did just this during a week when Linus was on vacation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXyyJyEtVI

e;fb

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The only piece of LTT merch I've ever purchased was one of their beanies. It shrunk so bad after the first wash that it no longer fit on my head.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-KZzVUV7U

$500 RGB gaming keyboard just makes sense but a luxury kitchen appliance, just a bridge too far. Next week LTT will review a Rolex.

They did rightly review it pretty negatively in the video, at least. $500 for a toaster that can't even toast bread evenly is pretty damning, especially when you can get a toaster that toasts just as well, if not better, for $20-$30 from your local Target.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

horst had obviously watched this video and was trying to talk about how actual good toasters worked but no one would engage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

I am a happy Patreon supporter of Technology Connections and that very video made me go out and buy an actually decent toaster that toasts things evenly and does it well.

It was still considerably cheaper than that $500 touchscreen monstrosity.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hell for the price of that touchscreen toaster you could buy TWO (2) backpacks from LTT STORE DOT CUUUUUUUM!!!?!

Lighting just one of them on fire could toast as many slices of bread as you could throw at it until you put it out and exchange it for a new one via the "just trust us" warranty.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

*just trust us warranty does not actually cover making toast with the backpack.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Osprey will send a new backpack back and couple of slices of perfectly toasted toast.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

For $250 that backpack better be able to make a perfect slice of toast and write my shitposts on these forums, with a warranty included. :colbert:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Steve won't gently caress you unless your PC benchmarks well and doesn't use a power supply that is a fire risk.

But I guarantee he'll start doing schlieren imaging testing of your PC in the afterglow.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks, Beve

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Slumming it in Linus' basement like people do in internet cafes in Japan so Linus can afford to pay his mortgage.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Youtube is acting up at the moment, memory hogging like crazy. Seemed to stop at 'only' 1.3GB when I opened a tab in Chrome for a bit and just sat on the front page, might have closed the browser too fast to see though. In Firefox it just keeps going constantly for me. Got to 4GB per tab x 2 tabs idling on the front page before it started to chafe against my 16GB total and annoying me with lag so I closed them. Various forums, reddits and websites in flames over the past hour, mostly people whose apps keep crashing after 20 seconds lol.

E: Issue also occurs with embeds btw, so loading this thread sure is an annoying trip to the task manager every time

It's not just YouTube, it looks to be happening across the whole Google product suite. Loading up a Google Sheet is shooting my browser's RAM usage by 1.2-1.3GB per tab.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I ate a Mr Beast burger before I had watched a Mr Beast YouTube video.

Coming from a shadow kitchen: better than most fast food and didn't give me food poisoning, at least.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

My first PC didn't have an AGP slot, so the PCI FX 5200 was the first dedicated graphics card I ever owned.

It let me play Morrowind for the first time without it being a slideshow and crashing after 30 minutes. I was so happy.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

buglord posted:

Whoever the guy is who does Mac Address videos, he is my favorite and I hope he isn’t interfered with.

From the sound of his latest lab tour video they actually hired more people to work with him on Mac Address.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Wait is that what happened? I was wondering the hell was happening when I checked my YouTube subscriptions page. For a second I thought I was truly dumb enough to subscribe to a Tesla channel.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Emily, MVP!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

edit: linus hasn't posted much/at all today has he? they're probably trying to cook up a better response asap/ahead of WAN show just so he doesn't make a fool of himself again.

They usually have their daily video posted by now. My bet is they're recording a video response for this whole mess to be posted same day.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I enjoyed the clowns doing stupid things to computers :(

Same. Unsubbed from their channels as well, and from their Floatplane.

Tossed the money from the Floatplane sub at the GamersNexus and Madison's Patreons instead.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Anyone know how to remove a stitched on rubber logo from a backpack?

Asking for a friend an idiot.

The idiot is me.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

gently caress that.
I don't want to hear 2 hours of opinions from anyone, about anything
these twats are tripping

I'm partial to this one myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-_r0w7ykI

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

apatheticman posted:

The guys that built my PC knocked off $15 because the fractal is so easy to build in.

I swear by Fractal cases nowadays if only because of all of the quality of life features they have in them. They are so good. :swoon:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

What the gently caress that James "comedy" act.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Rinkles posted:

free cpu if you spend $220 in GN merch, if these are still available

Per the GN Discord they're all already sold out. Apparently they lasted all of 14 minutes.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

if 2 milliseconds is so cool why does it take me 10 minutes to clean compile a loving DLL at work

If it's like my work situation it's because IT assigned you an ultrabook to work on and it power/thermal throttles the moment something heavier than launching notepad happens.

Let alone launching an IDE with a large, monolithic codebase. :negative:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Unfortunately the YouTube recommendations know me to a T and when it's late at night and I'm clicking through recommendations on the home page I am guaranteed to enter:

The Guy Fieri zone.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Steak Bentley's three hour MGS4 was a mistake video is art and holds a special place in my heart for introducing me to The Protomen.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

namlosh posted:

Did we do a Post your favorite long form YouTuber already?

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Steak Bentley's three hour MGS4 was a mistake video is art and holds a special place in my heart for introducing me to The Protomen.

Also I really like his video on One Punch Man. :colbert:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gang gang

gang gang

ooh so spicy

:siren:entering glizzy overdrive:siren:

(ten minutes of horrible slobbering sounds)

It took me a moment to realize this isn't the locked Giant Bomb thread. :stare:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I haven’t been in there since GB East retired and Nextlander happened or whatever. What happened?

Goons happened.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Steve on the street!

Gamers Nexus in the sheets. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

First PC was a $500 HP special that I managed to scrape the allowance money to buy over the years, with a 1.3 Ghz Intel Celeron processor in it.

I could finally play Morrowind without it crashing whenever a trash mob popped on screen and I was so happy.

Used it to learn how to program with Dark Basic (Professional) and it was good times that eventually led to my professional career. :colbert: