Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kreez posted:

I like a lot of Linus videos because he shows an awful lot of his fuckups and how he fixes them on camera, and I find that the best way to really learn about something. Similarly, I find industrial/enterprise stuff more interesting than consumer stuff, and he's the only guy I know of on YT who dips into enterprise stuff every now and then from the perspective of someone who doesn't deal with the stuff all day, and it makes those videos far more approachable and interesting to me, someone who doesn't touch computers for a living.

Of the “enterprise” stuff of his I’ve seen I wouldn’t be trying to learn anything from it, and it’s more like prosumer stuff and the poo poo he does with it is usually batshit crazy for entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kreez posted:

What I meant by my above post is that there are plenty of YouTube watchers out there who have literally never heard of ZFS, never really understood the purpose of rackmounting hardware, didn't know bonding multiple ethernet ports was a thing, etc. and watching something like Linus work on his server room is a nice way for said Youtube watchers to at least become aware of the existence of enterprise stuff. I haven't come across any other mainstream tech channels that even look sideways at non-consumer stuff. It's interesting to watch, even if it's only useful as a first step into learning about some other part of the computer world.

What about my friend Morten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?SirNetrom1

He plays with actual (old) enterprise stuff in a house he inherited that he basically turned into a giant home lab. He does some videos in his dayjob as some kind of tech or something too.

I just picked on at random https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-aOGni1G9k where it looks like he's setting up a giant storage server for use in an actual production environment. It's not as exciting as Linus, and I think he focus's on straight hardware a bit much, but he does do some ESXi cluster setups and stuff occasionally.

He does do some really oddball and dumbshit some times with electronics and tools, but other that that you're much more likely to learn something actually useful about enterprise stuff.

I wasn't joking when I said don't try and learn anything from Linus's "enterprise" stuff

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did you actually watch the video? It's a response to a bunch of viewers freaking out at the activation notices and he walks them through how activating doesn't make any sense for temporary demo machines, explains his licensing and shows how he keeps licenses on hand for those machines, they just don't get activated.

It's a clickbait title and sane video, which is the same as most LTT content; it's explaining why and how he wouldn't get sued/he's fine if he gets audited, etc. He's not actually a pirate, it just looks that way to the uninformed.

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean it sounds like he doesn't really have to work anymore. Maybe leave the other guys to run the channel and he can just hang out with his family.

As much as his stuff isn't for me, gotta take my hat off to him for having the foresight to build it up in a way that he can remove himself and it still keeps humming along. Not many youtube stars that have channels that start off basically built around them solely that could do the same thing.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Watched the first couple of minutes and I honestly don't know if he's being sarcastic or not when he literally goes "So Eaton said we have to have a bunch of clearance behind the UPS for airflow I guess so I knocked out a wall and made this space behind it, which is great cause now I can store all this poo poo in there!" and also still having 3" thick sound deadening still there where the wall was.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

mewse posted:

One really funny thing I noticed in this most recent video is that they're putting the UPS stack behind the server rack. Server racks intake air at the front, and exhaust hot air at the back, directly into this UPS unit

It's OK there's like 3-4 cubic meters of sealed in air behind the UPS for it to vent that hot air + it's own heat into forever.

After watching to the end, the icing on the cake was the fan setup to blow into where they installing the UPS, presumably because it was uncomfortably hot working in there for a few hours.

I feel sorry for Eaton having to write off a bunch of poo poo and help him fix this poo poo up because the alternative is a, probably unintentionally by Linus to be fair, bad PR video goes up to his massive audience that his really good Eaton UPS just randomly blew up!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

stevewm posted:

It has been mentioned they also produce videos/commercials for other companies in the PC hardware market...

I didn't know that, that's pretty smart actually! Can't fault his business skills in being able to build it from himself reviewing stuff on YouTube into an actual business with diversified income streams instead of 99% of other big youtuber's who just go and make a second VLOG channel or sell merchandise a to diversify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Well yeah, that's just money for the taking.

None of the other big tech channels seem to have come up with a way to take the contacts they have from doing promo bits and turn it into a new revenue stream completely independent of the Youtube stuff, that's the bit I'm a bit impressed by.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 12, 2020