Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kreez posted:

I like a lot of Linus videos because he shows an awful lot of his fuckups and how he fixes them on camera, and I find that the best way to really learn about something. Similarly, I find industrial/enterprise stuff more interesting than consumer stuff, and he's the only guy I know of on YT who dips into enterprise stuff every now and then from the perspective of someone who doesn't deal with the stuff all day, and it makes those videos far more approachable and interesting to me, someone who doesn't touch computers for a living.

Of the “enterprise” stuff of his I’ve seen I wouldn’t be trying to learn anything from it, and it’s more like prosumer stuff and the poo poo he does with it is usually batshit crazy for entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kreez posted:

What I meant by my above post is that there are plenty of YouTube watchers out there who have literally never heard of ZFS, never really understood the purpose of rackmounting hardware, didn't know bonding multiple ethernet ports was a thing, etc. and watching something like Linus work on his server room is a nice way for said Youtube watchers to at least become aware of the existence of enterprise stuff. I haven't come across any other mainstream tech channels that even look sideways at non-consumer stuff. It's interesting to watch, even if it's only useful as a first step into learning about some other part of the computer world.

What about my friend Morten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?SirNetrom1

He plays with actual (old) enterprise stuff in a house he inherited that he basically turned into a giant home lab. He does some videos in his dayjob as some kind of tech or something too.

I just picked on at random https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-aOGni1G9k where it looks like he's setting up a giant storage server for use in an actual production environment. It's not as exciting as Linus, and I think he focus's on straight hardware a bit much, but he does do some ESXi cluster setups and stuff occasionally.

He does do some really oddball and dumbshit some times with electronics and tools, but other that that you're much more likely to learn something actually useful about enterprise stuff.

I wasn't joking when I said don't try and learn anything from Linus's "enterprise" stuff

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did you actually watch the video? It's a response to a bunch of viewers freaking out at the activation notices and he walks them through how activating doesn't make any sense for temporary demo machines, explains his licensing and shows how he keeps licenses on hand for those machines, they just don't get activated.

It's a clickbait title and sane video, which is the same as most LTT content; it's explaining why and how he wouldn't get sued/he's fine if he gets audited, etc. He's not actually a pirate, it just looks that way to the uninformed.

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean it sounds like he doesn't really have to work anymore. Maybe leave the other guys to run the channel and he can just hang out with his family.

As much as his stuff isn't for me, gotta take my hat off to him for having the foresight to build it up in a way that he can remove himself and it still keeps humming along. Not many youtube stars that have channels that start off basically built around them solely that could do the same thing.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Watched the first couple of minutes and I honestly don't know if he's being sarcastic or not when he literally goes "So Eaton said we have to have a bunch of clearance behind the UPS for airflow I guess so I knocked out a wall and made this space behind it, which is great cause now I can store all this poo poo in there!" and also still having 3" thick sound deadening still there where the wall was.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

mewse posted:

One really funny thing I noticed in this most recent video is that they're putting the UPS stack behind the server rack. Server racks intake air at the front, and exhaust hot air at the back, directly into this UPS unit

It's OK there's like 3-4 cubic meters of sealed in air behind the UPS for it to vent that hot air + it's own heat into forever.

After watching to the end, the icing on the cake was the fan setup to blow into where they installing the UPS, presumably because it was uncomfortably hot working in there for a few hours.

I feel sorry for Eaton having to write off a bunch of poo poo and help him fix this poo poo up because the alternative is a, probably unintentionally by Linus to be fair, bad PR video goes up to his massive audience that his really good Eaton UPS just randomly blew up!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

stevewm posted:

It has been mentioned they also produce videos/commercials for other companies in the PC hardware market...

I didn't know that, that's pretty smart actually! Can't fault his business skills in being able to build it from himself reviewing stuff on YouTube into an actual business with diversified income streams instead of 99% of other big youtuber's who just go and make a second VLOG channel or sell merchandise a to diversify.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Well yeah, that's just money for the taking.

None of the other big tech channels seem to have come up with a way to take the contacts they have from doing promo bits and turn it into a new revenue stream completely independent of the Youtube stuff, that's the bit I'm a bit impressed by.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 12, 2020

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Flail Snail posted:

There hasn't been any tech idiot chat in a couple of days. Enjoy Linus dropping something..

1:33:00 if that timestamp isn't respected.

I like to think alot of his stuff is somewhat scripted for my own sanity, then he goes and gets himself tangled up in a cable literally hovering above an anti-trip cable cover on the floor that every other cable is running under.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Nah Dell should shoulder some blame there.

(For context this is from the Dell Australia site cause I'm too lazy to change regions)

I just went to the Dell website and the Precision 5820 tower that's just under the $5k mark has the tag line

quote:

For Professional Creators: Includes a stronger processor, more memory, a larger hard drive and a high end graphics card.

With a 1tb 7200RPM spinner.

Just looking again and the most expensive 3650 tower has a 1tb spinner while literally every other lower price point 3650 has an SSD or no hard drive included, and again it's got that same tag line about being for professional creators.

It's well within realms of possibility that someone would go "well the most expensive off the shelf version of these must be the best and it does say it's for content creation" and ends up with a massive bottle neck of a hard drive in it.

If Dell are going to suggest straight up on their site that it's for professional creators, implying someone doing professional levels of video editing, they shouldn't be surprised when someone tries to do professional levels of video editing and complains that it runs like dogshit.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I think people are struggling to forget all they know about PC's and look at this from a purely layman perspective relying on what you can google and learn without expert knowledge and what the sales page on the website says.

Klyith posted:

Dell's website ain't a car dealership. There are no high-pressure sales. He overcharged himself. Could dell have way more detailed information about each model and its respective capabilities? Yeah, they could. But point to another large OEM that does that. Dell is not uniquely bad in this respect.

Dell's customer support is bad. But again, what company can you point to that is leagues better? Do you think there's some legendary PC oem that, when you call with these problems, says "oh dear I'm sorry to hear that, would you prefer a refund or would you like to exchange that PC for one better suited to your needs?" What planet are you from?

Dell puts "creators" on the ad copy for 2/3rds of the PCs on their site including the non-workstations. As does lenovo, HP, and everyone else. Look, here's a PC that's branded with Creator right in the name. Default storage? A 1TB 7200RPM spinner!

OEM PCs suck pretty universally, that's why we have a 5000 page thread about building your own.

"All the other companies they compete with are all equally as bad" is a really, really bad way of justifying things.

Just because that's the de facto industry standard thing, doesn't mean it's correct or the way it should be done.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

Say I met a carpenter who was ranting about how long it took to cut, file, and sand down the dowel pins in his tenon joints. So I ask "where's your backsaw?" and then he says "what's a backsaw?", well, my reaction is not to be :argh: at the saw companies.

In that situation you have a trade qualified expert not knowing about tools of his trade, and that should be on him to know that.

Fairly different to a guy with no PC knowledge going to Dell's website to buy a PC expecting the one they label as "Built for content creators" to be suitable to his content creation small business/hobby.

If your an average joe blow going to the hardware store looking for something to secure two pieces of timber together, you're going to buy the pack of screws with the big "Timber Screws" writing on the front because that's exactly what you want to do, if you got home and screwed it all together and it fell apart a day later because they were in fact sheet metal screws no-one would question your rights to go back and demand a refund from the store.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 29, 2021

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

Why is a PC any different? Are PCs so mystifyingly complicated that only a qualified expert who has served a apprenticeship can know their secrets? They're not. Hand tools also have a lot of variations, and if you use the wrong thing you'll gently caress up your work or your tool. I'm not a carpenter but I do projects. An hour or so of prep and research is normal when I don't know the right way to do a thing. Learning that a backsaw exists and it's the right tool for the job is part of the job.

The place where this analogy falls apart is that learning about hand tools is a lot easier than PCs, because there are regular-rear end books that tell you what you need to know. I don't know what the current state of PC books is but I'd guess dire.

If PC's were so easy to use that anyone could completely figure them out with an hour of googling/youtube videos like a hand tool, then most of us on this subforum would be out of a job.

I just can't get behind the idea that the customer is 100% at fault if they take what these companies say in their advertising at face value and don't spend hours learning all about it or pay for expert advice.

The customer shouldn't be expected to have to fight against a corporation spending multi-millions to deliberately walk the line of false advertising without going over it. It's no accident the wording on Dell's website for the use case is broad and vague.

Anyway, agree to disagree at the end of it all I guess.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

Yeah, but extend the learning time for 1 hand tool to the entire set of hand & power tools in a decently-equipped workshop of someone who does woodworking as a career or serious hobby.

Tools are a bit easier because you can learn one at a time, and your chisel never stops working because on an obscure conflict with the table saw across the room. But yo, it takes a lot of hours of learning and practice into being any good with them. If you think they're easier than a PC because the dumb jocks did shop class, you're very wrong.

I know I said I'd stop, but really, how far down the road do you want to shift those goal posts? You started as comparing a PC to a single hand tool and being able to do some light research to figure it out, now it's turned into being the equivalent of learning about a whole workshop full of tools.

Can you quantify what the appropriate level of knowledge needed to buy a PC in this case?

Klyith posted:

So I've been thinking about it, and I'm thinking this is a situation where some people are assigning "fault" as a practical matter and other people care about moral fault. And if you care about moral fault, then me saying the guy was a dumbass feels like injustice.

Pretty much every consumer protection law in existence is built around ensuring companies deliver a "morally correct" level of service or quality of product because we as a society learned the hard way what happens if you don't enforce some minimum level.

And again it comes back to the point similar to before that just because everyone else in the industry is equally as bad, it doesn't make it an OK thing to put up with. Similarly just because it's technically legal, it can still be something that's not OK to put up with.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
It's not just YouTube specific, it's just the news industry in general.

Like that old saying goes, if it bleeds it leads.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Only about 2 minutes in, but he's talking about how he's got all these tech savvy people so doesn't need tech support.

It just infuriates me, the Dunning Kruger arrogance of it.

Like I just do not understand the thinking behind not hiring an expert for a couple of hours to essentially QA check it, you can still do the video and then quietly get someone in in the background to catch all the poo poo you missed if you want, or make it a video with an expert because I'm sure a huge chunk of his viewer base would like to see an expert in action, and maybe even gain a few more from people who do know watching Linus get schooled.

Ok so it's not mission critical data, but I hope to hell he's getting some experts in to check that mission critical production server setup, backups etc cause I'll bet money it's also got some dumb poo poo setup on it as well.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just don't see what the big deal is? They literally say it's a bad idea to do it, so if anyone says "no, this is a GOOD idea actually!" and tries it anyway, then that's on them. I feel like people are just trying to find something else to be mad about with LTT after their stupid storage server poo poo, so they settled on this totally inoffensive video for some reason.

They've got their goofy fun shenanigans channel, why not mix it in there with all the other goofy over the top dumb poo poo so it's clear it's goofy dumb poo poo?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We need to make tape sexy again.

I for one welcome the new CLTO standard, backup to someone else's tapes!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My read here is that without a decree on high from the C-levels to make changes, nothing substantial will get changed. Even then, the risk is instead being offloaded to the Cs that say, 'do it' instead of the VPs, and if there is one thing execs are good at, it's protecting their own rear end and inflated wages.

Pretty much.

The fact they sent a bunch of <1yr guys and 1 long termer looked to me more like they were just putting some people in front of the camera to save face, those <1yr guys are going to do literally nothing but report what happened in the meeting up the chain. The 20 year guy was probably just there to babysit and make sure rookies didn't commit them to something dumb.

I didn't watch all of it, but was also a bit telling that they didn't really do any research prep because Steve had to keep reminding them he didn't really give a poo poo about his own personal case, he was there as a voice for the thousand other cases he had in the folder who don't have a platform like his to force face to face meets, and they kept trying to circle it back to specifically Steve's case because that's what they'd prepared an answer for.

Anyway, hopefully something good comes out of it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Nah, people don’t understand the scale of the economies involved, sure it’s only 1c extra but that adds up to a lot when you’re making a thousand a day.

And costs from the factory to the shelf add on exponentially as the middlemen add on % markups not just a fixed amount so the 1c extra to make at the factory can turn into a $1 more on the shelf which makes it more expensive than the one next to it, and being a commodity product where 99%of people don’t give a poo poo what the brand is or anything, they just want a USB-C cable, they’ll grab the cheapest one so that extra $1 retail price over the competitor on the shelf next to it means a massive impact to the number of sales.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Sounds 100% Linus to just assume something rather than get it solidified in the sale contract.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure with commercial properties the law is the property has to be returned to the owner in roughly the same condition that they received to property in and any "improvements" including fixtures are included in that, or to say, they are not included in that.

So if they leased the building without doorknobs, they are actually fulfilling their legal obligation by removing them.

If I had to guess the building was raw shell space, possibly brand new construction ,when it was leased to the prior tenant, leaving the doorknobs might have actually being violating the terms of the lease.

Was going to say something like this before, but I’m not Canadian so no idea how it works there.

I think the biggest thing though, is we’re only hearing one side of it.

Also with the size the LTT group is now, and being that they’re in the business of publicly publishing their sometimes negative opinions about huge companies who love to let the lawyers loose, if they don’t have a legal team on retainer a phone call away to run things by then they’re absolutely crazy.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I don’t do random audits of my kids devices, but I do have a DNS server setup with block lists. It’s just too easy to even accidentally stumble on bad poo poo on the internet.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Former Human posted:

Linus is super out of touch about a lot of things. In the recent WAN Show discussing subscription services on cars, he thought new BMWs cost $30k.

To be fair, he also drove around some ancient, boring, basic, second hand beater car he had forever, well into him making millions, cause he’s just not a car guy.

I wouldn’t begrudge a car guy not know what a 3090 costs in the reverse situation.

He’s doing stuff about EV’s, but it’s because they’re the latest tech, not because of them being cars.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jesus Christ, this just seems way too much of a panicked response, and putting names in there as well? Oof.

Surely the first thing you do is call a lawyer?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

K8.0 posted:

It's really not. Legal action isn't going to do poo poo for Linus. What matters is salvaging your reputation. If someone can make a youtube video titled "Half of LTT staff QUITS after Linus accused of UNDERAGED R*PE!!!!", that's going to have a more or less permanent impact on the trajectory of the company. This isn't big business world where "LOL we funded a genocide" is barely a blip, LTT exists in a space where reputation is everything.

True, but it only works if the accuser also has a similar reputation, some random no-ones ever heard of making very big accusations with no evidence isn’t going to do much.

However getting legal advice could help massively by making sure he doesn’t dig himself into a legal hole that causes issues later on.

If the culture at LTT is so bad that some person nobody knows says Linus did a bad thing and it causes half the staff to quit, well there were probably heaps of underlying issues already.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I might not have fully agreed with how out of touch he was about BMW‘s, but I can’t get over him putting the loving names of people he had previous relationships in that post?

Does he honestly think it wouldn’t get out to the general public, and what that might mean for those people he just named?

I hope no-one does anything dumb with the info, but I’ve also been around the internet long enough….

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of his language is problematic. Measuring things in c*nt hairs and the like

It wasn’t so much the language itself for me, but the CONSTANT use of them and it was always the same sayings/jokes. If he used them more sparingly or had more variety it would be a thousands times better.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Seeing the workings of the tools while he talked about some of the processes involved was kind of interesting.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Romes128 posted:

lol maybe hire people do to do your talking for you if you can't get your message across properly.

But I’m a smart guy, why would I need someone else to do this stuff for me?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If he had good margins on the backpack he wouldn’t have fought so hard on the warranty thing, it’s a cost you build into the margin, but if he’s running thin margins on it then it’s the easiest thing to skimp on without actually affecting the product itself.

It’s the homer car, and because it’s so bespoke it’d be costing a shitload to make.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, but if he didn’t that warranty fiasco would re-appear 1000% worse if his “just trust me” turned out to be worthless.

Hell, probably the only reason he does have to address it at all is because of the warranty bullshit, if he just had a standard warranty on it and that whole warranty blowup thing never happened, I doubt we’d have even heard about this zipper thing, but because of that any tiny little issue is turned into a much bigger thing

And he probably would have been fine only needing to offer it to people who had issues with it rather than a blanket send to all thing.

The whole not doing warranty is definitely going to end up costing him more than whatever claims a proper warranty would have covered.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I like when people make videos to get people interested in a subject and teach it. I don't mind if they have to make it seem more interesting that it is. This is why I have a hard time with how goofy and off-putting I find the presentation of NetworkChuck's stuff. I want people to learn IT skills, but calling everything hacking and lots of thumbnails with the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta plus all the talking about coffee which he now sells is just a bridge too far for me. I think he can be in the tech idiots thread even if he may provide valuable resources to teenagers who may incidentally learn something useful in the guise of "hacking."

Yeeeeeeppppp.

His stuff years ago was good, he seemed a little more intense than a normal person but otherwise OK, and the coffee stuff he only mentioned in passing with dedicated coffee talk only vids

But he stepped up the intensity by about 1000x now.

The last thing I want trying to learn something legitimately useful for a cert or something is a guy acting like an over the top minecraft YouTuber my 7 year old watches, but about network subnetting.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Some people like having roommates because they like having someone around and not for financial reason too….

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It’s pretty impressive they’ve had these issues plaguing them for over a decade now.

I wonder how much of it is the weird insistence to archive everything in original quality, no matter what.

Or is it just a continuous and reliable source of content and a way to make some sponsorships work.

It’s none of that, it’s just “I know computers” arrogance thinking they don’t need someone who actually knows what they’re doing at an enterprise level to look at it even once.

Said it before, they can make the content videos and then afterwards bring in the external consultant to actually do it, they get the content and the proper system.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
It’s almost like that meeting they had with a bunch of people who all had been with <12 months may have been mostly for show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Didn’t he already “step down” from being the front face of the company like a year or two ago and then exactly nothing changed?