Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Like, I love the idea of right to repair. I’m ignoring the Environmental impact because that ship has sailed.

Also, lol at anyone bitching about the environment who has children.

That being said, I love the idea of taking a thinkpad carbon and fixing it up to be my mad max computer. Plenty of games, media on it with extra batteries charged by solar panels when things get really bad. Honestly if I get a few year old version and spare parts that can’t be that much money right?

Honestly though, the new MacBooks will probably outlast framework. They get software updates for between 6-9 years, last another few easily with just security updates, and if you pay for Apple care it will take care of any problems for that entire duration of its life.

My parents still do their accounting on a MacBook Pro from 2002. The battery is dead but it turns on and has the accounting software they prefer.

That has to be a typo/a few years off - I got my first Mac, a 12" Powerbook G4, in the year it was introduced: 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Vic posted:

Really wanna see the entry for R

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

repiv posted:

ed is the standard text editor

:hmmyes:

emacs and vim are both great but if you use evil-mode you will not see heaven