Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

LGR's terrible food videos seem like amazing GWS troll material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPmHwkdIpU

What the gently caress is this video? The bread is not from the 1980's and it can't play 8-bit audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of dry, educational videos, lately I've been watching a lot of the Explaining Computers channel on YouTube, which is hosted by Christopher Barnatt, a British university lecturer. The vids usually focus on single board computers like the Raspberry Pi and its ilk, and are about as dry as toast. But drat if they don't give me serious nostalgia flashbacks to when I was a kid and there'd be a short educational thing on PBS that was imported from the UK.

Despite his style a number of his videos are pretty interesting. I have to admit I watch a number of youtubers that have a terrible style that would never be fit for traditional broadcast.

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

I misclicked an old LTT video and decided "what the heck, ill let it play". Linus' voice wasn't bad at all back then. I get that youtube/twitch personalities generally have to adjust their voice to appeal to a wider audience, but today's high pitched Linus sounds awful by comparison. I want to know if he's aware of the change.

Probably just has a better microphone. Or he's dropped something heavy on his nuts.

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pofcorn posted:

I didn't mind that video.

This however I DID mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGq8uJSco1o

Why yes, let's swap out production network gear without preconfiguration! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!

I watched it and like everything else they do there's no planning. That level of stupidity is the same as when they failed to set up a ptp wireless network because they lack even the most basic tools and planning to do the job. A number of the videos are just the same as fresh film students that don't learn anything and keep repeating the same gently caress ups.

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's a perfectly serviceable option called bcache on Linux. It does in particular what he's wishing for in regards to new incoming data. But I guess that wouldn't make much of a video.

I believe when I watched it last night I saw some reference to "expensive" proprietary solutions and displayed QNAP's Qtier technology. Thing is that technology isn't really expensive as their products are fair prices, it's more the cost of the media, but, you know, why pay a reasonable price for something that will work out of the box when you could make something poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

I think I'm all Linus'ed out. I don't know if it's just overexposure but the only thing that keeps me watching is Riley.

They seem to be running low on ideas. Probably the most inspirational video I watched was when he made a space for the kids under the stairs with the tv fixed on an angle and a floor cushion to sit on. I ended up getting a floor cushion for my media room, excellent for watching a projector. Perhaps they could do some more fun stuff like outdoor projection on the buildings, but they don't seem to bother. It's almost like their production schedule has hurt the content.