Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Aren't all these things essentially applied physics? :smug:

Actually, the problem of induction says there is no necessary connection between relations of ideas and matters of fact, so aren't all these things essentially applied philosophy? :smug: :smug:

No? Oh, that makes sense, yeah, I'll shut up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I still have cabled headphones since I switch between laptops with a docking station, so Bluetooth is subideal. Is there some other way around that?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've heard people talk about this for a while, and decided to try it. It worked perfectly, as you might imagine, though a bit jarring to have the sudden jump.

Now that YouTube has the whole "most replayed" feature visible, it makes me wonder if the viewership of a video during a sponsor read is a metric that can affect a content creator. My guess is no, since they probably aren't being paid via YouTube itself, and I'm still going to ignore and block ads no matter what, but I am curious.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've been thinking about looking into those online tips to updating my network to filter ads in some way, but I don't really think I'm quite savvy enough to put up with the headache. Though I was also thinking of setting up a network just for my work devices, so maybe if I'm doing that it's time to try. For now, I just use uBlock Origin on the computers and tolerate it on the phone. On YouTube the viewership experience is still pretty good even if the ads are getting a lot worse, as opposed to Twitch which has an absolutely awful app and is not worth putting up with.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Former Human posted:

Linus is super out of touch about a lot of things. In the recent WAN Show discussing subscription services on cars, he thought new BMWs cost $30k.

It's a banana, how much could it etc etc

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

HKR posted:

stopped being embarrassed by things you like and you'll be a lot happier in life.

You can't make me. What if someone found out I... posted on SA???

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've gotta a dumb question and I'm gonna ask it here, since I think a buncha computer content fans probably have a reasonably informed opinion.

I'm almost out of canned air. When I went to find more, Best Buy had none but the nice young person working there told me that they have "USB ones" now that I could get on Amazon. Apparently they're called Cordless Air Dusters, I'm all for potentially creating a little less waste. Does anyone have any suggestions for ones they liked, things to look out for, etc?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

Back in the day Steve Jobs would personally blacklist journalists who spoke ill of his products. I think Leo Laporte received that honour.

He also blacklisted pancreatic oncologists that used androids or didn't eat grapefruits or some loving thing and now he's loving dead

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Sorry, it's a joke. I just like mentioning that this 'visionary' 'genius' and his 'reality-warping field' was huffing his own farts so bad that he didn't listen to his doctors when it mattered, though to be fair some think he didn't have much chance anyway.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Charles Leclerc posted:

my takeaway from this is that he was very much anti right to repair

Sorry this is late but

:perfect:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've heard from multiple other non-tech worlds on Youtube of (speedruns, football, and :ussr:) about weird demonetizations/review issues. I'm sure there are others. Doesn't sound like a good sign.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

Clint gonna get knifed in his sleep by a clearly haunted computer.

I'm just imagining it on a table, slowly moving its arms and legs, unable to actually move around because of its computer torso. Despite being completely sessile, it's trying to be creepy and menacing with a knife. Clint sighs and gently takes the knife away, then pats it on the head. He heads to the window and tosses the knife out into his backyard. Right next to a pile of freshly raked leaves there is a similarly sized pile of thousands and thousands of knives in various states of mouldering in the weather.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

A lot of people seem to think solely in terms of "well this company paid for all my travel and gave me loads of free poo poo and made me sign an influencer contract but they didn't put any actual money in my bank account so this isn't sponsored".

I like that SponsorBlock will say something like "Exclusive Access" for some non-monetary things. The only example I could think of was the Tom Scott video "The US government is giving out free wasps" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfC4Aj05Ps which really should have had a cameo from Matthew Lesko breathlessly telling us about how we can all get free wasps! I have to imagine some other "semi-sponsored-ish" content would fall under that bar, but I don't know of any vids off the top of my head.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

And I would like to apologize... for this segue, to our sponsor! War Thunder!

I should sell ad breaks in my posts.

I think I heard someone say that Linus was crying about Sponsorblock a bit ago, but does it actually affect the producers? For an non-YT served ad existing as a part of the video, can the advertiser somehow find what % of people skipped it? I don't know how any of this works behind the scenes.

This question brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

:staredog:

I guess it makes sense, probably same root word as gamete, also pronounced with the soft a.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

Tech news in general seems to be obsessed with the idea that capitalism works like it says in the books

Um excuse me, obviously capitalism works perfectly. Only true captains among men, literal titans with iron will and unshakable integrity can become wildly successful. Just look at... Linus Sebastian??

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Holy shiiiiiiiit. This is loving hilarious. It is maximum dumbassery with only slight reputational harm.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Weaponized Autism posted:

Apparently this might be the hack, explained by some other YouTuber that's been affecting YouTube for a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9ERdBkM5M

It sounds like someone at LTT may have been a victim of a sponsorship scam, and downloaded malware. The malware sends the active session cookie to the hacker (in this case, the logged in YT account), and then the hacker is already logged in and can fully access the YouTube account. No MFA needed.

I'm just shocked that a channel that size doesn't have some sort of brand manager who handles incoming sponsorships but who doesn't also have access to the YT account because they presumably don't need it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Former Human posted:

It's weird to sit around the house naked when you have kids.

Wake up from the commotion of Linus and Yvonne and walk downstairs oh hey that's what my dad's dick looks like.

His house is big enough that the kids are probably in the Child Wing so they wouldn't hear anything. That's the whole reason to buy a house that big: to never have to wear clothes while also not traumatizing your children. In that way, at least.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Linus Tech Nips

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I always assumed title and thumbnail changes for popular channels was some form of A-B testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I mean, I like marmalade but it's just so Web 2.0, ya know? When are we going to talk about a decentralized spreadable alternative?