Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

There are many ways to ask for a divorce.

E: serious answer it's probably Coulton.

There's a floatplane video up on Colton's Intel upgrade whatever. He has a desk that's bowed in the middle cause he didn't add the 5th supporting leg, has a monitor he has to "warm up" for 30 minutes to get working properly and has a TV in his gaming room that's like 10 years old. He's not exactly on the bleeding edge of tech.

I like the series. It let us know Anthony is a borderline furry and Riley is a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rabid Snake posted:

Why would nvidia do Hardware Unboxed like that? I always liked them because they had easy to read benchmarks (that you can skip too)

Seems like they shook the hornets nest and gamers nexus is mad now

Linus went in like a 30 minute rant on his podcast absolutely making GBS threads on nvidia. Pretty much everyone is against nvidia.

MSI pulls the same poo poo apparently.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

quoting this from the GPU thread because its my take as well. Apparently the guy who sent the letter isn't normally known for this sort of behavior. LTT made it seem like he's on team green, because that's his job and he has to be, but he wasn't usually like this? I wonder if he was compelled to do it. Looking forward to the GN video on it.

The guy who sent the letter is in charge of PR for Nvidia. He knows what he was doing. Whether he did it with his superiors knowing is a different story. I expect him to get fired for causing basically every tech you tuber to go against nvidia.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

Got caught up on this letter today and man, everything in that letter was even worse than Intel trying to cast shade at AMD without talking up their own product. Ray Tracing is great and I hope it becomes the next tech in all games eventually, just like Pixel/Vertex shaders back on the GF3 days became the shader cores of today. But to send a letter like that as if RT was the established tech being used from here on and anything else is against "Us Gamers" is a pretty big jump in whatever logic the writer was trying to use.

Either way to see Linus get as on fire about it as he did was pretty neat to see.

Linus and Steven from GN are some of the best ranters in tech youtube. GN Steve's takedown on MSI was great (they were basically pulling the same poo poo Nvidia just did) and he's about to do another one on Nvidia.

I unsubbed from Jayztwocents a while ago but I saw on reddit he posted a video about the whole Nvidia thing and apparently he was also blacklisted from getting 3090's and also unloaded on Nvidia. Nice to see tech youtube banding together.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nah he wrote it. I fully believe nvidia would have thrown whoever else wrote it under the bus if that happened.

Since heís a top guy at nvidia he was probably told to apologize and nothing would happen. If it were someone lower on the totem pole they wouldnít have a job.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah he generally does stuff that not life threatening but still hurts a bit. He knows what heís doing. But when stuff goes ďwrongĒ itís kinda up in the air.

That video I think definitely looks like an accident that he almost really hurt himself with.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

I remember hearing a "cautionary tale / brag" that kids would bunch their legs up in a crouch either side of the electrical socket, then jam something in. The spasms would lock their legs straight and they'd shoot across the floor.

Probably not true, but lol at whatever idiot uncle told me that when i was 7. Super cool thing to tell a kid.

I stuck a hair pin into an outlet when I was like 8 and it turned my finger tips yellow. Then my dad called me and idiot and we took a nap.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Worldshatter posted:

I just hope that Anthony is paid well and that he is happy

(I also hope that everyone else is paid well but yaknow)

Linus has mentioned on WAN show that they pay at or above industry standard.

They've also gone out of their way to help their employees. They sponsored Dennis so he could keep working in Canada. Linus and Yvonne let Luke stay with them a couple years ago. They just did the fundraising stream for their employee that passed away over the holiday.

They talk alot about behind the scenes and personal stuff on their stream.

I have my criticisms about their content, but Linus ain't dumb when it comes to running his business. He separated himself from the financial and HR side of the company, and seems to care about the quality of life for his employees. I've worked for people like that and it was a blast.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tech fuckups were entertaining until I dropped a motherboard with ram and cpu installed. Now I feel the pain every time I see someone drop something.

The mobo and parts were fine. I did a Linus "stick my foot out to soften the impact" before it hit the floor.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linus explained in a video once that they built TV like sets cause it's easier to film in. The corners of the sets are not square but it still "feels" like a room in a house. Also people apparently loved the old kitchen so he built a kitchen in the studio when they moved.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

This video is worth watching just to see how frustrated Linus gets as it progresses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-ZayiWAKo

Waiting for the follow up where itís revealed Dennis went way over budget and Linus puts the neon sign in his office.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Also didn't he drop like $500+ on Noctua fans on that build. Nobody's going to do that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I donít watch Bitwits stuff anymore but his video saying heís getting divorced was super sad. Guy looks like he hasnít been eating and you can tell it hit him hard.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Getting into custom cabling and being pretty lax on quality and testing seems like a recipe for allllll sorts of liability issues. To say nothing of rolling your own AIOs, kind of want those to not have any unforeseen issues!

Good to know they have some actual serious issues rather than just my vague suspicions. Thermaltake is another one I usually looked at a bit shifty-like, but I have nothing to back that up and Iím not dialed into the scene to know what dodgy stuff they are up to.

Thermaltake has been accused of copying case designs from Fractal and Caselabs a couple years ago. Google it, a ton of stuff shows up.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Did they at least copy good designs well?

So well everyone called them out on it.

Really though, I don't know about the quality of the copies. It was a little before my time in PC building. From what I've read it was around 2015.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah. Note that GN actually likes the case. Pretty much all reviewers like the case.

It's more the fact that there's this huge glaring flaw which could cause property damage or worse, and NZXT is dragging their feet on fixing the actual issue. Just giving people nylon screws doesn't fix the issue. They really need to source new extender cables.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nowher posted:

God drat that is bad... so bad. How the gently caress do people sit through this stuff?

All the comments are encouraging it too smh.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Worldshatter posted:

I guess that's not *as* weird, pretty massive if people sent 50k in total but even if they didn't it's more of a justifiable expense I guess

the notion of encouraging people to give their money to you to invest it in an ongoing meme stock rubs me a little the wrong way but hey it's not like they were forced to superchat I guess

He said he would match 5x what people sent in and it ended up being 10k.

Most of it is ďhisĒ money. I saw the clip and his wife didnít sound too happy, but I wouldnít be surprised he has major bank. A couple months ago he said he could retire comfortably and let the company run it self.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

When it fails they get to make another video about that.

you mean when it catches fire

at least he can't semi blame a company for it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paulís wife; ďdonít let that weirdo back in the house.Ē

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

admiraldennis posted:

I put GN videos on sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep because I find them soothing.

His case reviews especially.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I really hate the sickeningly upbeat, inflectiony stuff.

I too, find Austin Evans annoying.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They also have the best cinematography in the tech slice of YouTube.

Their content can sometimes miss what I want but they always have great visuals and presentation

Optimum Tech has amazing cinematography. Best Iíve seen.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EngineerJoe posted:

I unfollowed 3D Printing Nerd because he was he was around people without a mask and no visible precautions. I didn't think it would bother me but it really did and his content sucks lately anyways.

I don't follow many tech tubers anymore, but LTT are the only ones I see wearing masks.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

that's going to work out very well

it's not like his staffers don't already take everything not literally nailed down in the office

seems like they take small stuff or stuff that has little to no value. i've seen a few instances of his staff saying they buy things like monitors and gpu's at a discount from the inventory.

but yea if he leaves that in the office it's totally gonna get stolen. maybe not by a staff member, but someones gonna break in and take it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Put Madison in their more technical videos like with Anthony or when they're fabricating something complex.

Just add her chaos to the whole team.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

If you change around the benchmarks too often, you can't compare two products to each other. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also they do run other games. I've seen them run cyberpunk and doom eternal multiple times. They don't add them to the charts, but they do showcase more recent games.

Also we're 3 months into 2021, pointing out MS Flight Simulator is kinda stupid on that guys part.

Also GNSteve's response to the second tweet;

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1372743247995543553?s=20

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 19, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

I don't get it. What is their point?

Probably feels that everyone ganged up on him cause he tried to poo poo on Linus but heís still a good you tuber.

Thatís the only thing I can take away from that dumbassery.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I slap stickers on the underside of my keyboard.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

i have to admit when they suggested that i thought "someone, somewhere, has built water cooling out of a faucet somehow."

Ltt did that already and pretty much everyone said it was a massive waste of water. Like in the video. Their own coworkers thought it was dumb.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

How many fuckin mod mats did they sell.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Or maybe it happens to everyone but only GN and HUB regularly make name & shame videos about it

During the MSI thing GN Steve said it happened to a smaller channel as well. I don't doubt that these companies do this frequently to a bunch of small youtubers who can't risk/afford to be blacklisted from getting hardware.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GN out here risking their lives to test Gigabyte PSU's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

it came out on his podcast that LTT also had some kind of non-trivial business partnership with noctua at some stage. which, imo demonstrated the very limited functional use of such disclosures because i had 0 idea of it (despite them claiming to have disclosed it at some point in the distant past before i watched his channel) and had no idea they had a conflict of interest when i was uncritically absorbing their praise for the fans.

to be fair everyone on the planet praises noctua fans. even the brown has been embraced over the years.