Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dell’s website for buying computers is so atrociously bad, I would just deal with a dell rep thru my work and order stuff that way instead! Trying to use the website is insanely confusing even for someone who deals with computers a lot.

Dell ultra sharp monitors are my favs though, and the new work laptop I got is a dell and I quite like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

*which is why EVGA PSU models constantly change, and why their modular cables are incompatible with each other. whereas Corsair and Seasonic are like 99% compatible within their own brand.

Fun fact: EVGA modular cable ports can have Corsair modular cables plugged in, with NOT compatible pinouts and potentially disastrous results! Not an issue for most people but in a lab where there is a mix of them.. well.. Thankfully nothing major blew up :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

This is pretty much all modular PSUs. They all use the same 6 & 8 pin molex plugs, and the number of different keying patterns isn't big enough for each manufacturer to have their own. But IMO it's way worse that EVGA has models where if you have the wrong pair, they're not compatible. And not in a fail-safe way.

I'm kinda meh on ATX12VO for the DIY PC market -- it pushes a bunch of cost from the PSU (10+ years usable) to the mobo (replaced much more frequently). But the one thing it would be really good for is standardizing the modular cable situation. It's crazy that it was allowed to happen the way it did.

Yeah they really should standardize it on the plug from the PSU as well as into the PCB. I could totally see someone swapping out a PSU and keeping the cables plugged into the motherboard/GPU and just plugging those in and yikes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stevewm posted:

I fried 3 256gb SSDs because of this.

Was given a EVGA 1000w modular.

Had cables that looked identical. Except I didn't catch that some of the SATA modular cables were for a different PSU. They fed 12v into the 5v SATA pin.

The one mechanical drive somehow survived and even worked with 12v being fed into it's 5v input.

Yup we had a u.2 cable blow from this, thankfully there was a diode in there that protected the attached drive but the cable was hooped.

After that every cable was labelled “FOR EVGA PSU ONLY” :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I honestly would like to see him do a roundup of the various manufactures for different items (cases, gpus, motherboards, etc) and come up with some top choices. Seeing horrible garbage get ripped on is fun but having good info on what to get from GN is nice as well.

My wild guess for best current maker of stuff like gpus and psus would be EVGA, they seem to have a good combo of good quality and good support. For cases Fractal and Phanteks are my favs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

When I did comp eng we took more programming courses while the EEs took more thermodynamics, but there was still a bit of overlap in both. Very very similar overall.

A lot of comp engs realized in 3rd year they had enough Compsci credits to get a degree in that and peace’d out then.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember when IO shields had razor sharp edges and would fuckin cut you bad. Course back in the day practically every edge on a pc case were goddamn lethal.

I just read up on this Verge thing and yeah, it sucks they let someone so poorly qualified embarrass himself like that. How could he not know he was doing a poo poo job at it though, c’mon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What is the LTT thing with GN anyway, was it that $250 backpack turned out to break easily and there was no warranty? I’m just piecing this together 3rd hand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve bought pricey bags before but they always have excellent warranties. Although never had to use them because the bags were really built well (hence the cost).

I totally missed that GN video for some reason, I’m subscribed but maybe was busy when it popped up and it got pushed aside.

I’ll admit to being biased against all things LTT, I just don’t like Linus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CBD Corndog posted:

This is 99% correct, except you forgot the part where Linus didn’t want to offer a warranty because ‘if he died tomorrow he wouldn’t want to put his family on the hook for honouring it’

Lmao ok that is pretty hilarious. Does he still not understand how companies work?

Oh Steve Jobs died shut er down I guess

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

He also said "lol I could close the company tonight then what about your precious warranty"

Yep that sounds like my general impression of him!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

From a NCIX salesman to millionaire. What a ride. :lol:

NCIX salesman :lol:

Their customer service was almost nonexistent even during the “good” years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CBD Corndog posted:

The NCIX store in Markham was the only store I've ever been to that caused my credit card company to call and make sure it wasn't fraud. Every time (I only ever went like twice), without fail.

The amazing thing is in Vancouver ncix was seen as the less risky option to several other hardware stores, lol.

I had an order in progress right when they abruptly went bankrupt or whatever and had to deal with my credit card company to get refunded.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I bet what happened is Linus contracted with a manufacturer and just went off on all his wishes and they came back with something similar to Homer’s car that just costs a ton to manufacture. Plus of course the LTT tax.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A ratcheting screwdriver for $70? What the gently caress? Craftsman, Klein, Milwaukee are all around $20-25 and all offer basically lifetime warranties.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

My old man was a mechanic for decades and, based on how he talked about them, Snap-On tools cost as much as they do is because their warranty policy is basically: in the trivial unlikelihood that a tool ever wavers in your lifetime then the employee that made it will hand deliver you a replacement same-day and you are allowed to slap them in the face medium strength up to 3 (three) times

There is no way that LTT is seventy dollars worth of standing behind these things

Snap on has to cover the costs of their calendars too (aroogah!)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Can't wait for every monitor to also be folding so they can break for no reason.

I think I saw corsair or someone made one that can be curved or flat, lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

The obvious thing would be that whatever factory in china is actually making the bags raised the price on them at the very end of their idiotic year-long prototyping work. This is a thing that's happened to a whole lot of kickstarters -- if you've spent a whole lot of time going back and forth with a factory to get everything exactly perfect, you can't afford to start over with a different factory. It's even worse with kickstarters cause they can see exactly how much money they can screw you for.

And a small company like LTT is unlikely to be a repeat customer -- LTT isn't gonna do a handbag next -- so you're less worried about offending some long-term partner.

(The loving thing *is* gonna be expensive to make. Miles of stitching, lots of little detail work, complicated to put together.)

Yeah this 100%. It’s overbuilt and overcomplicated, and unless you do the manufacturing yourself or with a long term partner you’re totally at their mercy.

I just chuckle thinking of linus coming up with the spec list and probably doing a bunch of 11th hour additions that really started to piss them off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s one way to keep up with amazon I suppose

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Walmart.com turned itself into this weird Alibaba marketplace/eBay combination and it’s really awkward trying to buy things from Walmart directly

I hate this trend, bestbuy does that too and it suuuucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Criss-cross posted:

Amazon is chock full of these types of fake drives as well, and has been for many years.

That’s what I meant, amazon is just rife with this garbage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got me wondering if there is a browser extension that will filter out the 3rd party stuff - I will check into that later!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use an impact driver for all my pc builds

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

M.2 screws really need a precision screwdriver as they are such fiddly little fuckers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, its PC building time?

*Gets out 4 foot long torque wrench*

Time to properly install M.2 SSD screws

Lmao

*m.2 screw goes flying, never to be seen again and/or gets lodged between a power and ground pin*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Tbf it is a little funny to see someone I read about in a high school history class asking for help with their gaming PC.

That pc case dates from your high school days too!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

humanity's long search for better governments computer cases ended in 1989, didn't you know?

The end of history is beige and has razor sharp edges, checks out!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I use a drill with a clutch set fairly low and a PH #2 that has a 10" shank. It's great.

Electric drills are great for that!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like updating my computer cases just because I like checking out the new designs and they have gotten so good and quiet and easy to work in.. It's like an affordable luxury really, coming from the beige piece of poo poo cases in the 90s/early 00s that would cut you the gently caress open if you touched the wrong edge.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I got a Fractal Torrent for my most recent build and it's the best case I've ever seen, it's got such great airflow. Really easy to build in too

:hfive: same I got one too, it's fantastic!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So many good case makers these days, we're spoiled.. Fractal, Phanteks, Corsair, I'd buy a new case to swap into every six months if I could :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I always liked the spiral ratchet one that Jake used to open the elevator panel in The Blues Brothers movie. I’ve never actually seen one though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Breaking a screwdriver is not a good look for that screwdriver no matter how much you liked it.. Unless you were doing something really stupid with it like trying to lever open a locked door.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

if ur screwdriver cannot help ensure that the demon core will not reach criticality than is it even a screwdriver

lol if a LTT screwdriver manufacturing defect causes a criticality event

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still don’t get why a ratcheting screwdriver is required for pc building but if that’s what people like go nuts (for $69.99)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't get it either. I have a little screwdriver with a set of little bits and it handles all my computater needs

The screws are very short and don't require a lot to cinch up! Who knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I always thought Linus was tall being a gangly looking guy. Short yet gangly, poor fella.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I always use a jumping overhand windmill smash technique when I drive screws

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Personally I do a leaping corkscrew thrust like an anime character, but sometimes I fumble and the screwdriver tumbles.

Rookie mistake, train harder!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

What the heck, they were my favorite brand :(

Same, I just got a ftw3 3080Ti for a sweet price (msrp!!)

I like evga stuff usually that’s a bummer.