Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

YouTube title secrets that Rinkles is hiding from you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My bag is real fancy, made by samsonite. Cost like 50 bucks. It's weird that people can stand watching linus let alone buy a bag from him if he's going to be a shithead about it. Maybe he could say "no warranty because I officially damage every bag before I ship it like it's one-of-a-kind trade show prototype" and people would understand he can't be trusted.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

njsykora posted:

You're not going to get someone in a locker with that backpack on, you'd need to cut it and that would void the warranty.

They will only honor the warranty if you stuff them in a LTT branded locker. Extra big so you can mount an EATX board in there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Youtube tech idiots fandom thread: Linus Trapper Keeper discussion thread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got a ton of screwdrivers but the super long ones that come with the Scythe Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 to reach down to the mount through the fin stack are really useful for PC building since they're Philips #2 with an extra long shank. Wera laser tip are good for household stuff, though. I got a 60 year old rusty bathroom fan out of the ceiling a couple of weeks ago with one and it didn't slip unscrewing the numerous 1960s flat heads from the brackets they used.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arivia posted:

you may have noticed this but linus is a very small man physically

m.2 screws are tiny and need to be screwed absolutely flush for example, i really wish i had a magnetic head screwdriver for those

Good news, you can magnetize most screwdrivers by pulling them over a magnet. There's also magnetizer/demagnetizer blocks for removing the magnetization.

Here's a video about them since that's thread appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RazORgAqEUc

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The TechYesCity guy uses a battery powered screwdriver

Ah, the guy who cleans motherboards with WD40. I remember him.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

buglord posted:

I googled it because I don’t know who this guy is but I find the 3070 in a definitely-OEM computer case hilarious. But yeah it’s him, whoever he is. More power to him. Unless he sucks, then less power to him, but you can’t go lower than EVGA bronze.

I figured that was a 4U rackmount case or something due to the layout. Definitely an interesting choice of components.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

80 staff sucked me off??!?!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

well why not posted:

Hiring a Spanish speaker to translate and then re-host tech quickie or whatever would be a relatively straightforward way to begin.

LTT is all about doing things the wrong way, so no.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

K8.0 posted:

Jif is a peanut butter. Gif has always had a hard G.

I will wage holy war against those who disagree.

Yeah, then go after gin!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like when people make videos to get people interested in a subject and teach it. I don't mind if they have to make it seem more interesting that it is. This is why I have a hard time with how goofy and off-putting I find the presentation of NetworkChuck's stuff. I want people to learn IT skills, but calling everything hacking and lots of thumbnails with the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta plus all the talking about coffee which he now sells is just a bridge too far for me. I think he can be in the tech idiots thread even if he may provide valuable resources to teenagers who may incidentally learn something useful in the guise of "hacking." Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OPVViV-GQk

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rudager posted:

Yeeeeeeppppp.

His stuff years ago was good, he seemed a little more intense than a normal person but otherwise OK, and the coffee stuff he only mentioned in passing with dedicated coffee talk only vids

But he stepped up the intensity by about 1000x now.

The last thing I want trying to learn something legitimately useful for a cert or something is a guy acting like an over the top minecraft YouTuber my 7 year old watches, but about network subnetting.

Yeah, I watched one of his subnetting videos and it was all stuff I learned in a networking CS class in 2006 or something. It felt like he taught about 1/4 of a lecture in a 15 minute video but I guess that's how things are now. HACKING.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It’s pretty impressive they’ve had these issues plaguing them for over a decade now.

The only tech tip is to not do what Linus does.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, Adored still makes videos? I like AMD and all, but his videos were so weirdly skewed towards them that I stopped watching him years ago. If you put him and the userbenchmark intel-biased guy in a furnace together you could power a small country with the rage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cooler master says hello from like 10 years ago:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q

You can also just lie a tower on its side but with all the stupid glass it might not be so good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nice outfit
for a clown to wear
to the circus.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scythe gave me a screwdriver for free with each cooler. They're not real fancy but they're long enough to tighten down the Fuma 2 and Mugen. The NH-D15 I just had to figure it out myself like some kind of caveman! Okay, I did just use the scythe one. Nobody tell Noctua.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xspMdiXFCY

whereupon Clint attempts to fill up his gimmick aquarium PC only to find out that he no longer has running water in his house

What are the chances that 40,000 people would be without water for multiple days when he's trying to fill a fish tank PC? That was amazing timing. I love the Duke fish tank decoration.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm disappointed the aquarium PC isn't using the ank as part of the cooling loop. I have to run a heater to keep my tropical fish happy so that would be two fish with one gadget so to speak.

It's an interesting idea but I suspect unless you had a heat exchanger to isolate the two systems then the tiny structures in the computer cooling part would get clogged up over time with microorganisms or just detritus. Plus, with PC cooling there's such a ramp up and down with CPU power and heat dissipation you'd probably need to be able to independently start and stop the cooling so you don't cook the fish. Maybe with a much bigger tank, temperature control hardware, and a link to be able to throttle the system up or down if needed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I love this guy's dumb inventions even if most of them are just solenoids firing off to something from the computer. For example:
His first video that went viral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1iglyGr_iY

Most recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV41cwEzqO4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

buglord posted:

Yeah I was on the fence about him initially. Then he said AI police sketch software is gonna inevitably result in more PoC getting arrested unjustly so I figure he’s at least on the up and up about these sort of issues instead of saying how the free market would solve this or something.

Wendell on L1Techs is cool, and Krista as well, but Ryan went from dipshit internet libertarian to watching fox news and repeating their talking points about how men can't be women because biology and poo poo. So, I still watch the reviews and Wendell's stuff but stopped watching their news stuff, which is a shame because tech specific news was a good idea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Adolf Glitter posted:

A big head to head of fans could probably be popular, but yeah, in depth reviews of individual fans would bore even me.

Ah, but what if your viewers made 3d models of fan blades to fit on a 120mm noctua and you did many seasons of a fan showdown, 3d printing and testing the designs against each other? Major Hardware is on season 5 of it as an ongoing competition thing. That's good content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znDHfBmaYiw

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SourKraut posted:

You know what they say, “No one ever became rich by spending money!”

I find that I tune out of a lot of youtube channels when it becomes a wealthy guy showing off stuff he got (often for free because of subscriber count). I think the last LTT video I watched was one where they were given some high core count Xeon CPUs from Intel just to gently caress around with. They didn't have the proper coolers for mounting pressure and they weren't going to arrive until the next day so Linus decided he couldn't wait and tried to boot this multi-thousand dollar system with a thousand dollar tungsten cube (they cost more now afaik) on the Xeon to see if it would provide enough clamping pressure. It didn't, but IIRC it didn't damage anything, just wouldn't let him boot it right away.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have a D15 on my 5800X3D and it's fine. If I was buying now I'd get a peerless assassin because it's almost as good and costs less than half, and if I had a beefier CPU with more cores I'd get a CLC liquid cooler.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Since we’re all in the process of ditching chrome, what is your favorite free Remote Desktop solution? I’m a heavy Chrome Remote Desktop user and I’ll be ditching that as well

I've been using AnyDesk and it's fine. They get pissy if you do like 70 connections a month or more but when they complained to me about paying for a license I pointed out it was the same two machines which are on my own LAN and they gave me the bypass option or whatever to keep it free. TeamViewer on the other hand had a much lower threshold for asking for payment and would take no explanation about what I was using it for so I stopped using it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can run Haiku on an i9 and live that BeOS dream today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmrKKu-oBg

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

priznat posted:

Good info, I had gotten a razer black widow v3 on sale (like 40% off) and I think it’s trash, not even counting the absolute garbage software.

What I would like is:
- mechanical keys with good feel
- easy to clean/blast out with air
- RGB LEDs (I can’t help it I love colourful keyboards)
- volume knob and music controls
- numeric keypad (tkl feels weird to me)
- Solid build quality/good warranty
- (optional) macro keys might be fun, but I’ll be damned if I can get the mouse macros working in Logitech poo poo software already

The other one I was eyeballing was the steelseries apex I think it was. I just set a camelcamelcamel alert for big price drops for stuff and wait.

I have a G915 TKL and it's like a $120ish dollar keyboard with a 200+ dollar price tag. I have seen them on sale here and there but not for less than around $150. It's a pretty good keyboard but the main reason I like it is the lightspeed wireless; I use it as a secondary keyboard on a second PC so I pick it up and put it on my lap sometimes and always use it wirelessly. RGB looks nice but I mostly set it to one color. Battery life is good but I'm not a heavy user of it.

Downsides I've noticed:
When I wake it up by hitting a key, if I hold the key down it releases while held down and I have to hit it again. Not a big deal for typing where you'd move to the next key anyway, but if I start hitting it to move a character in a game and the keyboard was asleep, then I have to tap the key again to keep moving. I gave one to my friend as well when I got mine and he'd never noticed it but he uses his more for general use and typing.
I always want the gaming mode (windows key off) to be on, but it toggles off when asleep. I would think that would be a setting in GHUB but I haven't found it. One of my biggest real issues with it, that should be a toggle that gets remembered.
The low profile keys are alright but it kind of sucks that logitech had kailh make a version of the choc low profile switches with their own keycap mounting stems. You can replace the switches with kailh switches but if you want to use the logitech keycaps you need to open the switches and swap the stem. The switches are soldered in, so no quick swap of course. The keycaps are really wobbly on the stems or the stems are wobbly. It's never given me any issues with pressing keys, like no keycap interference, but they sure can tilt!
GHUB isn't the best software but it hasn't given me any issues, it can just be a little annoying to find what you want in it.
My G915 TKL is micro USB for charging. Not a huge deal, but I don't know if they've revised it to add USB-C. The Logitech MX Keys mini I got for the iMac like 8 months after the G915 has USB-C.

Upsides:
Seems pretty durable so far, I've had mine a couple of years.
Logitech replaced my friend's keyboard when one of the switches stopped working. They sent him a whole second one so he could try to repair the first one if he wants to.
Lightspeed wireless is fast.

Redragon has a knock off of the G915 that's waayyyyy cheaper. Hell, it's $49 right now. Probably has worse wireless speed and likely other downsides, but it's extremely similar looking:
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Ultra-Thin-Connection/dp/B098785CL3/

In the grass is always greener world of mech keyboards I now want a hall effect keyboard with quick release/rapid trigger to see if it helps in FPSes but I'm staying strong and holding out for now, even though some companies have them down in the $120 range (Drunkdeer A75 with no keycaps).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

His narration cadence makes my head spin.

We're going to test that!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tokin opposition posted:

I've never watched "Steve" so I'm just going to assume we're talking about the MRE guy

Stephen Burke is the main talky guy on Gamers Nexus, the one with the hair.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's like one of those venomous snakes you know not to touch because of the coloring.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Blue Moonlight posted:

:ohno:

I am being forced to confront the fact that I have no idea how any of this works anymore.

I used to have a job building and repairing computers for people.

Let me clear all the kids slang up for you grandpa! Thermal grizzly is the slang for hot CPUs. You have to cool them with your EK (pronounced eck!). A der8auer pumps your eck to keep that thermal grizzly under control.

jayz2cents is just some rear end in a top hat youtuber who reviews computer hardware and sometimes tweets racist stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The preceding post was a joke except for the last part.