Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hi, welcome to the YouTube tech idiots fandom thread.

Lots of random vids get linked around and I've just noticed a lot of cross-discussions between the threads which sometimes get derailed into specifically talking about the YouTube person rather than whatever stupid poo poo the original thread is about. Probably idiot computer stuff.

Here's a list of some:

LinusTechTips

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

One of the big ones with a bunch of other random channels as part of Linus Media Group. Don't go in expecting some solid technical breakdown and what not. It's very much on the semi-superficial/entertainment layer.

Nitr0 posted:

I used to know Linus from years back before he became a YouTube superstar and he was a nice guy.

Cheers

They do benchmarks and such but nothing like our next channel...

GamersNexus

https://www.youtube.com/user/GamersNexus

Jesus is back and he's hella mad about the stupidity that permeates throughout the industry. This dude is 100% legit and he isn't afraid to mince words because he does not give a gently caress if some company blacklists him for spitting hot fiyah truth. Extremely good albeit his videos CAN be dry. Great sense of humour when it comes through and if you want legit information and up to date stuff going on in the industry this is the channel to come to.

LGR

https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

Just fantastic retrospective videoes on old computer hardware'n'poo poo with some sprinkling of modern stuff or new-yet-old poo poo. Very soothing voice, very entertaining, and completely sane.

Speaking of sane: you can discuss them but Adored & 8-Bit Guy are both Persona non grata.

There's also a lot of blatant shilling people like Unboxed Therapy.

Recommendations always welcome.

Wirth1000 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

Dimitri from hardware canucks is cool.

I always hear mixed things about Hardware Canucks usually along the lines of that they're easily influenced by companies to give recommendations for otherwise poo poo products that other reviewers poo poo on for being poo poo. I've generally kind of avoided them for that reason which is a failure on my part I suppose.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Bit-tech are cool for the more 'out there' stuff. They came about from the death of an old media magazine called CustomPC here in the UK which was my loving bible as a kid growing up. They do an awful lot of cool instructional videos that go right into the details of daunting poo poo like hardline watercooling and have a very active community of people who do some really awesome looking custom builds. Growing up reading this and seeing stuff like the old Asetek phase change coolers or the totally passive Zalman water-cooling rigs was what made me blow my first serious bonus cheque on an insane custom loop inside a Corsair 900D.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGxtYMx16kD7jK0RKSxsVrw

Holy poo poo that dudes moustache just got a sub out of me!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, Linus started the whole Floatplane project to get away from the stupid YouTube economy. I think it should be launching soon.

Subscription based video platform.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If you ever wanted to see how a case manufactuer works then this video is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqDdFgx0Iek

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mr.Radar posted:

Edit: ^^^ At around 53 minutes he literally calls their business practices "crimes." ^^^

Not saying that Nvidia has good business practices, just that AdoredTV's style of presentation is borderline paranoid.

Yeah out of everything I've watched from different people Adored is the one that really screams mental illness with his poo poo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Linus owns nad his videos are entertaining. A sense of humour is required unless of course you think the height of humour is "there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont" but then again this is SH/SC soooo....

Also, Steve "Computer Jesus" Burke did a thing with this pretty interesting cooler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqYEdXNpak

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I thought it was pretty cool but what got me is that's apparently set up in a condo building. The neighbors must love the guy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I need to change the OP cause of recent developments

1) MKBHD is just such an unabashed shameless Elon & Tesla worshipper it's embarassing to remain subbed to him

2) LTT has somehow gotten 100x more obnoxious

3) TechLinked still owns

4) Computer Jesus moving out of his mom's house owns

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

More than one poster ITT is jonesing for a LGR food fix

Seriously, I really loving wanted another LGR Food video. What's the freaking hold up?!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's actually loving infuriating why he always seems in a manic panic to move poo poo around or showcase it or tear it ouf othe box or whatever the gently caress

Like, loving relax, man! Holy poo poo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I think I'm all Linus'ed out. I don't know if it's just overexposure but the only thing that keeps me watching is Riley.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And that is why Tech Jesus loving owns.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Speaking of Linus, I'm actually enjoying them rotating hosts now and it's not just Linus for every god drat thing. If anything I consider him the weakest link in terms of hosting for numerous reasons. Hell, even Dennis is more enjoyable.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

Watching Anthony do a build guide with proper cable management in a $20 case was very pleasant.

This was honestly great because he clearly loving knows what he's doing and he did it in a pretty fun and amusing way even though the choice of case was absolutely atrocious and probably choked the gently caress out of thermals but oh well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Apparently they didn’t mic the audience so it’s super awkward lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDanCpMwG0

Holy gently caress he's changed a lot!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

It's the gratuitous flamethrowered cheese and bread combos with a side of chips.

This post really makes me wish for another LGR Foods vid.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bK1Lww3hY

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wait wait wait... Peter Bright of Ars Technica was arrested for pedophilia? I mean one look at his photo and you'd instantly say "no loving poo poo" but lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Catching up on Computex stuff and this is why I love Tech Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1XwvUdcjQ

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZiAbPH5ChE

Go to 8m04s for a great rant about UserBenchmark and user reviews for routers.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjTYbqG1CI

This right here is all of GamersNexus/Steve distilled into why I love him so loving much. Just a relentless calling out of AMD's bullshit about the 110C junction temperature poo poo.

At the same time I feel so bad for them cause their audience is comprised of people who label/self-identify themselves as 'gamers' and I really wish they were in a position to rebranding themselves. Like maybe call themselves TechNexus or just Tech Jesus.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is his audience actually self identified gamers though? He has like zero content catering to that subset. It's literally all benchmarks and teardowns (of cards and companies)

I consider hardware fanboys to be a subset of that degenerate sect.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does anyone watch Louis Rossman stuff on the regular? I randomly come across him from time to time and, I dunno, I understand what he's getting at with the whole right to repair stuff but his poo poo is along the same lines as that insane Scottish guy who considers nVidia to be ISIS' GPU department. Louis Rossman's.. intensity? paranoia? just comes off like he considers Apple to be literal war criminals.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ElGroucho posted:

Oh, woops! haha, i am all butterfingers!

I honestly can't stand this dude or his voice

Are you talking about Alex? Because I am 100% in agreement. The way he talks, his verbal intonations, all of it just stresses me out. I'm Canadian and I even find his Canadian accent to be a bit much.

I'm actually loving Anthony a lot and I want to see more of him.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Random googling of GN stuff lead me to discover Steve's reddit account and god drat

This is going in the OP.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIxgAgmfpk

Here it is. The video that made me finally say "gently caress this channel" and unsubscribe from Linus.

Far be it from me to be a fanboy of any product when it comes to Apple vs. Android but the way Linus always loving stretches some point super thin just to get some dig at Apple in any way he can its bizarre.

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane. What is this dude's loving problem? Christ. He's reaching Louis Rossman levels of seeing shadows where there's not and that Adored guy's hatred against nVidia thinking they're the third reich's GPU division.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Maybe.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've found myself watching JayzTwoCents in spurts. The watercooling vids tend to blur into one most of the time although one of his recent videos with metal tubing was pretty interesting and different.

That InWin case is also insane.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Doesn't Gamers Nexus have all that too? Granted his sponsor spots are better (EVGA CLC hair cooling and cat website still make me smile) but he also does merch plugs if he uses the modmat or tool set

Yeah, but he does it organically as in "hey we're gonna use our tools and our mod mat to take this thing apart" instead of Linus' oh BY THE WAY BUY MY UNDERWAR/AWTER BOTTLE AND ALL THIS poo poo in your face every loving time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
MKBHD has been killing it lately. Interviews with Satya Nadella and Will Smith.... and Linus is, I dunno, still trying to sell, uh, underwear???

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've grown a sudden fondness for Austin Evans.

He seems like that ideal mixture of Linus and GamersNexus without being the extreme that they both are.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mu Zeta posted:

It's weird to me that Austin Evans is so muscular.

He's literally this:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It would appear that Austin Evans' staffer/editor, the Ken guy, exclusively wears anime girl t-shirts.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Was Linus really good back in the day? I’m having a hard time figuring out how he managed to garner 9 mil subs on the type of content he peddles.

I think he was around 7 or 8 mil when I started watching.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I unsubbed from Linus a while ago.... have they done anything yet with that bizarre purchase of all the precision engineering and milling and such equipment they bought? I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress the point of that is. Who cares when the majority of your channel is based around other's products?

How many videos of "we built this Linus-shaped sheet metal case and stuffed [XYZ Off The Shellf Computer Part] into it! Let's play Doom (2016)!!" can we get?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ItBreathes posted:

Like drat near everything else, they got it for free, it just would cost four figures normally.

I like GN as much as the next person but it's not the kind of thing you watch unless you're looking specifically for a review of the item in question.

GN did some pretty interesting stuff recently with that bizarro motherboard they found in the Chinese market along with the lovely triangular case.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mu Zeta posted:

GN would have more viewers if he didn't speak in monotone. I actually prefer just reading the GN website because I can find the information faster.

That's the thing. He's monotone when he's very obviously just reading off the script/website article.

But when he's actually speaking off the top of his mind he's actually animated and isn't monotone. Like the start and end of any of the reviews it's just pure Steve then the entire middle chunk of the vid is a monotone drab reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Shut up Meg posted:

The fat guy from LTT seems to know his stuff and has a decent enough personality, but every single moment I watch him, I am genuinely worried he's going to die of a heart attack on camera.

It honestly distracts me from what he is doing: I keep waiting for him to wheeze his last.

That's Anthony and quite frankly he seems way out of place on LTT. He seems to do things properly and meticulously.

LTT is all about grabbing componetns like they're literally on fire throwing them around and not bothering to read any sort of manuals or instructions and completely wing it because ENTERTAINMENT and NO TIME.

There is nothiing more frustrating than watching a vid when you realize the person seems loss and clueless because the very idea of reading even some Quick Start guide is considered not part of their brand.

Actually, maybe that's why Anthony always gets a ton of praise in the comments and such whenever they do a bit with him. People actually start enjoying the content instead of getting frustrated at the high pitched voiced guy who NEVER STOPS YELLING BECAUSE THIS IS EFFECTIVE VOICEWORK IN FILMING RIGHT? getting confused cause he didn't want to read whatever before they started turning the cameras on.