Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus's latest crazy project is not going well. Who would have thought connecting 18+ PCIe devices to the same motherboard might not work so well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQHK7jIojk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UtNpbGSHs

Also note that this monstrosity is taking up the main meeting room in their office so I'm sure that's fun for all his employees.

What he's going for is kinda neat, but entirely impractical - six editors using one machine, meaning six times the downtime if the server fails, and tons more places for things to go wrong. Not sure why you'd want that vs six discrete workstations that would probably end up cheaper (when you factor in the US$20K in CPUs alone) that you could tweak and upgrade individually. For nerd-cred however, it's cool.

That said, why the ever-loving christ doesn't he mount the parts in the case vs. having them all dangle around everywhere (even if he's still tuning things), use a KVM mux vs six uncessesary discrete KVMs, and build things up bit-by-bit vs. trying everything at once and getting frustrated when it doesn't work? If I was trying that sort of thing, I'd start with one complete machine then move on to the next, etc. until I hit problems. Easier to debug, and you also know what subset of your original goal is achievable, instead of "whelp, no idea why it doesn't all work".

Edit: I do like LTT videos for the incompetence and sheer volume of product reviews, but man is their editing and click-bait titles annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a LTT "tech clown" replacement that doesn't have two baked in sponsor slots, a merchandise plug and a subscription request in every video? I already watch Gamers Nexus for the real info, but need someone to fill my "drops expensive things and sets up a RAID system poorly" desires.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

Though I find the 'buy my poo poo!' and a 'now a word from our sponsors' to be irritating, I much prefer them to when sponsor's stuff gets used and it's not clear whether it's being used cause it's the best option or because the presenter was paid to use it.

I'd never base any of my purchasing decisions on LTT, simply because I don't trust their impartiality.

The sponsor slot at the start of the videos is fine, because on Android Youtube it's two-right-taps to skip forward ~20 seconds over it. I just find the constant subscription begging and underwear plugs (on a tech channel?) super grating.

GN is tasteful about his sponsors, and as said above generally isn't too in your face with his merchandise. Besides, at least his mats and knicknacks are tech related, I'd be just as annoyed if he started plugging vitamin supplements or something in every episode.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
What I don't get about it is...why underwear? Branded tech hoodies and water bottles I can at least see people being interested in, but if you're the kind of person in the market for YouTube tech vlogger branded underwear there's a strong chance no one else will ever see it.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Yes, of course. We all watch for the expensive parts being dropped, the computers not working after being coated in plastidip, and the software mission critical RAID of software RAIDs - as an actual informative channel it's pretty poor. As a clownshoes outfit, it's OK other than all the sponsor ads and product placement.

But again, why underwear?!

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Well, I found an extension (not sure if it was mentioned here or on Reddit) that solves my quest for fewer underwear commercials - SponsorBlock:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

Smart idea, marking the sponsor slots on videos is crowdsourced from everyone that has the extension. When a sponsor slot is marked by any of the users, that portion of the video is automatically skipped for everyone else that views that video from thereon out. So far it's already had slots marked for me for all the usual suspects like LTT minutes after the videos go live.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

evobatman posted:

gently caress I loving hate youtube thumbnails with people doing their stupid gape!

Install "Clickbait Remover for YouTube", available on Firefox and Chrome. There's a setting to replace all the thumbnails with a still from X seconds into the video. Goes well with SponsorBlock which skips over the in-video (not seperately streamed) ads.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Unbelievable. Usually he has a lot more common sense (minus the crazy gun stuff, but at least he kept that off his 8-bit guy channel) but that was painful to watch, and stupid to boot.

Cutting the PSU case rather than a slot in the screw, or just buying the right driver? Replacing a slow blow fuse with a fast blow? Using a paperclip on a keyed mains supply output without first checking the pin-outs with the multimeter he has, or even looking at the wire colour coding? Powering it up in the first place without giving the internals a check after it's been in storage for 30 years? Crazy.

Appallingly stupid. I did like how he finished the video with a quip about hoping things go better the next time Computer Reset calls him. Like there's going to be a next time once they see that video.

EpicCodeMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 26, 2020

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8DgpgtSQQ

Simply superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Franky if you see a Youtube history channel it's smart to start with the base assumption that it's crap.

If you're lucky it's just wikipedia-level summary. If you're not it's crazy bullshit.

Note that I'm talking mainstream history here. There's actually some decently well researched and presented history on it, it just tend to be history of non-traditional subjects like internet drama and game development.

edit: see also: history podcasts.

Unless it's Tasting History with Max Miller. They're always fun and seem decently well researched.