Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

What if GN went through route of LTT and did more 8 - 15 minute videos that covers a good chunk in more entertaining fashion, but then links to a whitepaper or their detailed analysis. There are definitely people who prefer their approach so there's no reason to not still deliver that, but I think he may be missing out on a large junk of viewers by simply being only long form videos.

Unless they stopped doing it while I wasn’t paying attention this is what GN always does, there’s an article up on their website for each review with more data and charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

This is awesome and industrial testing equipment owns, but now I'm really curious why they've covered up what is presumably the manufacturer branding and model numbers on the thing.

I think it’s more likely configuration and personally identifying information. Something Steve has mentioned a few times and that’s gradually becoming more and more obvious is that GN is taking some very important steps from being a tech news media outlet to an actually accredited and legally rigorous testing laboratory. So they have in the new office an entire bulletin board of conformance testing reports for their equipment, they have published testing methodologies and trained, expert employees (the engineers) for the really intense testing.

It got hinted at around the Gigabyte PSU fiasco and was borne out when they got the recall started for the NZXT riser cables - GN is now amassing serious enough data that they can start making actual legal claims as to performance and safety. In turn, this means that manufacturers can start threatening them when GN causes actual damage to those companies - and Steve has not been saying it explicitly but they are prepared to back up their work in courts of law.

And I don’t mean MSI leaning on Hardware Unboxed levels of manufacturer interference, but actual lawsuits. GN needs to be able to document every part of their testing if it gets to that point, hence the incredible effort, money, and time spent on doing it right.

So blocking off the fan tester info panels is a way to protect their testing info, suppliers, etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

There's no way Steve is so stupid that his business plan is "get sued into oblivion by hardware manufacturers and also be 2 weeks late with every review ever."

No one PLANS to get sued unless they're trying to generate some outrage crowdfunding parachute. That's definitely not GN's plan.

No, I don’t think Steve’s business plan is to get sued. Steve’s business plan is to provide scientifically rigorous, detailed and informative hardware journalism to consumers. Unfortunately, companies that do do that kind of thing often get sued by manufacturers who are unhappy when reviewers call out issues with their products.

If a company can demonstrate that a review cost them business (such as Gigabyte or NZXT), that is grounds for a defamation lawsuit, same as you hear people getting sued over negative Yelp reviews. When GN claims that a product is bad or defective as a legal defense, they must be able to prove that legally. GN is setting themselves up so that they can legally defend themselves if they are sued. Not that they want to be sued but they are making sure they do things right so they are hopefully safe if they are sued.

Steve has proven himself to be a careful, forward thinking, pragmatic person at least as far as GN goes. He and his staff are working to keep the company/brand/etc safe and viable so that it doesn’t get destroyed when someone goes “you said my fans were bad” (which is what they say they’re going to be testing on the new fan tester).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is this common? I can't seem to recall a lawsuit of this sort ever popping up in America. If it has, I have a hard time believing that it's commonplace. And in any case, I have no idea how this is meant to protect them during a lawsuit. They would most likely have to reveal most of this information during one anyway. If anything, it would hurt them by hiding this information. They would need to prove that their data is legitimate, and they'd do so by proving that their testing equipment and procedures are legitimate.

Here’s one out of many a quick google turned up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Motor_Corp._v._Consumers_Union_of_the_U.S.,_Inc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

not related to the topic du jour, but I thought it was very indicative of Linus being in tune with internet culture that he had his feet pixelated when he took off his socks on camera

Steve1989MREInfo would have been embarrassed at all the good food he hosed up though. Only a year out of date? Practically fresh!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

GN’s talked about that video struggle as well, no-one’s looking for GPU reviews when they can’t buy them so you have to start branching out into other stuff. Like prebuilts.

thankfully, steve and team are really good at making anything remotely in his wheelhouse fun and interesting without cheap or stupid gimmicks. moving to the new place has also given them a bunch of video content, from moving vlogs to stuff the new place enables, like the fan tester.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

My wife bought me some LTT shirts. I would never buy them myself but they are actually good quality and the designs are nice/discrete.

LMG has like four actual fashion/product designers on staff now for that stuff, it had better be good quality. Also they need to hire a loving IT guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's worth noting that they're working with uncompressible data, since video is already compressed - so inline compression features from tape or a modern filesystem like ZFS isn't going to get anything - especially because lz4 and zstd features early-abort mechanisms, where it stops trying to compress records, if it can't compress them at least 14%.

Since it's a data archive, I think nearline storage (either in the form of a tape library with robotic arm, or a MAID; a massive array of idle disks where spinning rust is spun-down) is the way to go.
That is, unless they also have some kind of IOPS requirements, in which case what SlowBloke mentioned is more the neighbourhood they're looking at.

It's also not clear to me if it's 1.2PB allocated space, or if that 1.2PB is just what they think they're getting if they're assuming that "14TB" drives are 14TiB and aren't accounting for filesystem metadata, distributed parity, slop space, and other things that's gonna affect the allocated amount of space.

You really obviously didn't watch the video, the 1.2PB is just the theoretical maximum of the drives. When they get things set up in their NAS installation it's in the 900 terabyte range and there's a couple of jokes about doing a bad setup to make the magic 1 petabyte number appear but Linus says not to bother, to go with the right thing. They know they're not getting an actual petabyte of storage out of that thing.

Tape is likely correct, they've been pretty clear about it just being uncompressed videos of all their youtube content ever and it rarely being something they actually go back and read from. Frankly I don't care about Linus or his stunts that much (except this did convince me to finally set up backups myself, which I'm really grateful for), it's just frustrating to see speculation about the topic that's solved by actually engaging with the content being discussed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's more likely that I don't remember the video because of chemobrain, but it's loving hilarious if Linus said to "do the right thing" and then they didn't.

My apologies, comment retracted then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

That's incredible, Gigabyte just sending over the RMA history

$100 repair charge to swap a socket is a decent price

It’s got to involve some fine work to remove the socket, replace it with another one, and check it’s working fine. I’m serious, $100 is a fair cost for that imo (not that the socket itself or original manufacturing is $100 total).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lol of course there’s more. Amazing.

this is the thing, if they'd done it to literally any other tech youtuber the apology and the refund probably would have been enough and it would have just boiled over and been forgotten. the problem for newegg is that beve sturke is actually a legitimate journalist with ethics and all of that stuff, so when there's actually an issue GN will follow it and report on it no matter how bad it makes newegg seem. the one person they really didn't want to do this to, and they did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This might be optimistic, but Amazon has enough money to schlepp about that they might feel a permissive returns policy will be worth any losses compared to the bad press (and subsequent losses) from a customer service scandal.

So, basically the opposite of Newegg.

last month i ordered a book and after it missed the projected delivery date (this was using amazon prime) amazon went "hey, this is probably lost, do you want a refund" which is amazingly proactive. i still had to talk to 30 seconds to a customer service rep by chat to confirm getting a refund, but it was incredibly painless and weirdly pro-consumer of them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

I never even knew there were "pro" and non-pro Threadrippers, isn't the point of a Threadripper that it's only pros who should really be using it?

AMD is using the Pro suffix for chips with enterprise security and integration features that are solely sold to workstation system integrators. There’s Ryzen Pro chips too, we just don’t talk about them much because they only show up in prebuilts from Dell, Lenovo, and the like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

that solution to their problem seemed kind of totally terrible but i don't understand their full network setup. what if it's windy enough to misalign one or both disks? are you going to tolerate whole buildings of your operation being off the network and as such offline when that single point of failure has issues? makes way more sense for a boat or cabin or something, junctioning your entire internet through your business workflow with no redundancy seems very very foolish. idk, i'm not a network guy.

vancouver is the same climate as seattle: rainy as hell but otherwise very temperate. wind speed is not something they historically need to worry about much if at all https://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/charts/wind_speed-yearly.html (first google result, no idea how reputable it is but it says it's taken from weather canada which is the official federal data)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CBD Corndog posted:

You get a UDM if you want your internet to drop once or twice a day and like hard resetting routers.

I don't think anyone has a problem with LTT being janky and doing dumb poo poo for entertainment, but when it gets dangerous and damages property like throwing a wrench between buildings and it damaging property, that's a problem.

someone in the comments pointed out that there's probably a good whistleblower/informant fee to be made by forwarding that video to BC work safety enforcement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I was kind of surprised that the roof didn't have hand rails around the edge or a requirement to be tied to something with a harness on. What are the laws in Canada for that stuff?

Basically exactly what you're thinking. Linus was flagrantly breaking safety laws on camera.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In today's hardware news, Steve is saying they really enjoyed the Newegg RMA story, have learned a lot more about Artesian Builds, and will be doing a follow up along the same lines; they want to do more occasional journalism (his word) pieces like this every few months.

If it was anyone else I would be concerned, but instead I'm just excited? glad?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Not that these specifics parts would've seen use elsewhere (idk, maybe they could donate them?), but it still always rubs me the wrong way when I see GN destroying or damaging them for a gag. I guess it's silly, but I just don't like it.

GN donates their no longer useful review samples and stuff to local high schools for use in tech classes, last I heard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Steve Cares (R)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

The ones I was specifically thinking about were the 2nd generation of alienware cases, these hideous things:

They were pretty normal cases underneath the extra plastic.

OTOH there were plenty of other hideous gamer cases in that era, many of which tried to be different using awful plastic panels with curved or angled bits all over. Every dang review started with "forget your old bland beige box from the 90s, this case has attitude!"

the full tower is cute with its alien eye vents

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It wasn't an Alienware but I had a laptop in that exact same garish green in like 2008

Apple sold iPods in something very similar. It was the style in the day, when you carried an onion on your belt.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Adolf Glitter posted:

I always assumed that the dude in Cathode Ray Dude was a dude called Ray. Nope.
That fact that his name is the same as an old joystick I have somewhere is very fitting though.

He reveals it at the start of his 100,000 sub celebration stream. It's great that he's climbing in popularity, he seems like a very good egg. A 9+ hour stream is well out of my range though, jeez

-edit- Heh, after watching about 5 minutes, I might well end up watching loads of this. The guy is a treasure, and it looks different to 99% of streams

Towards the end of the stream he said he will cut it into the individual segments and repost them separately (maybe on his second channel) which as someone who watched the stream I would highly recommend simply because there were a lot of adorable technical issues/stream breaks and stuff. Nothing ruinous, just saves you skipping through the loading bits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

From a “ancient tech on your new network gear” perspective, yes

how about usb-c but it only speaks serial

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Linus Media Group has to be over 100 employees by now. No excuse to not have counsel at least on retainer from a business firm even if it’s not a full-time hire.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

but im simultaneously a very rich guy and also a poor boy working in my mum's creaky basement

I think you've confused Tech Jesus and LTT. Linus has been making epic reno videos about his new mansion for months now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Question, especially for the Americans: is it just me or is LTT becoming even more Canadian? Like "give 'r" is kind of slipping into every video I feel.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Most of the previous headphone reviews on LTT where top notch audiophoolery.

are you telling me that crab rave is not a scientific measurement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

GN should absolutely build a news set for Hardware News videos though.

idk what else they're doing with that giant rear end cave they've got steve shooting in right now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sure, but I think it's just the shortest path (maybe only path?) to not having legal issues. Maybe it's in bad taste, but it's also the only real option.

yeah but he's also doing videos of stuff like the recent merchandising department tour where the title is literally "I WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS LOSS" (of finances) and it's him just showing off spending tens of thousands on actual business requirements for all the product design they're doing and it's basically an ad for all their merch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

I think he said the super dry stuff will be on the website but the videos will be more high level.

which is the same way GN often does a bunch of stuff and that's fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still think you’re talking about it like it has a giant print of Linus’ face winking at you instead of the letters “LTT” in a small patch

to be fair, LTT has sold products that are just linus' face on something before

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Which one is Jake? Linus's bf?

Yep.

Also lol at the guess that Anthony's windows 98 retro PC is named "scale" because it was used to weigh trucks instead of it being owned by a furry (not that it's a bad thing, it's just really obvious if you saw the anthony intel tech upgrade in his basement)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the backpack is $250 USD, right?

you can buy a backpack with a laptop sleeve from osprey for that money. or buy an actual hardcore camping backpack (which could comfortably hold your midtower desktop) from them for that money. both of them come with a warranty that goes something like "do you have any scrap of record that this backpack existed at some point before you had it torn to pieces by a shark? okay here's a complete replacement"

like oof linus that's a real hard price to sell in that market

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
as someone who was at least a little interested in the ltt screwdriver with all the extra ratcheting action and poo poo, guess i'm buying a set from gn the next time i have cash. because wow steve is definitely not this much of an idiot about actual important tools.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The sheer amount of people going "just trust him bro" is astonishing. Pinkie promise is just as good as a binding contract don'tcha know?

I'm at a loss for words at how mind numbingly dumb he is

e. why the gently caress does he keep talking about a lifetime warranty??? Just give a year or something, who gives a gently caress!

the point is that actual backpack companies selling their own backpacks that are built for utility, not fashion at the same price point offer lifetime warranties, so why isn't linus on a 250 USD bag

like i mentioned the osprey guarantee before: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-support/return-authorization

this is the standard for these kinds of products at that price.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

That tweet is not public.

I saw it when it was - a bunch of responses she thought she'd sent and that Linus had ghosted her on responding to in turn had instead been in her drafts folder the whole time. She was apologizing for that accusation while making clear it didn't explain the invitation to his hotel room at night.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i just watched a video from ltt from march 2020 and it felt so innocent like just "oh, this is linus loving around and building a $20,000 computer and saying he wouldn't actually spend this money himself and it felt believable in a way nothing has in a long, long while"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Account is set to private.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It feels weird having Adrian Black in this thread lol. Not an idiot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Huge backpacks are good. I can put more groceries or D&D books in them.