Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Warmachine posted:

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

“I employ non white people.”

As if paying someone to do a job automatically means you respect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

well why not posted:

Linus just built a bath PC

Water and electrics
A computer in the attic
A 3080 in a shower PC
Hygiene

So many reasons for nerds to be mad at this video.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Connect your loop directly to the bath water.

Warm tub water whenever you need it.

The soap will keep the loop clean.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

"When I put the meter on here it showed a direct short"

Nope, it read 15 ohms which is very much not a direct short

Lmao 15 ohms as a short.

Jesus.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Those Fluke autoranging meters will beep at <20ohms but that's because they are designed for sparks and not for electronics repair

At no point would I be looking at a screen reading an actual consistent number and say that it’s a short.

Not without touching my loving prongs together and seeing it reading the same number at least.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The trick to soldering is to actually heat the wire with the soldering iron to the point where when you just touch a little bit of solder on it it melts and flows on the wire.

The other trick is to actually twist the wires so that you have a good physical connection before you even pick up the soldering iron.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 2, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Charles posted:

I don't get the appeal of merchandise, unless it's a charity organization like Saveafox or something. Especially underwear. Yikes. I couldn't get into a YouTube channel that much that I'd want other people to know I watch it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I appreciate that he said he changed manufacturers of their shirts or something because the working conditions at the factory were not okay.

I have a LTT swacket and it owns.

Need some socks actually, prolly give linus some money instead of bezos.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

I just cannot bring myself to care a single iota about GPUs being resold, scapled, price hiked, secretly ebayed by OEMs, or anything else. We're not talking lifesaving drugs here. They're unnecessary products for a nerd hobby. If nvidia couldn't produce enough of them to satisfy demand then the pricetag is naturally going to trend up to whatever the biggest richest idiots are willing to pay. The best solution is to not be a big idiot and just wait.

(I will also note that we're now 2/2 for hosed up hardware at launch from nvidia cards -- the 2000 space invaders corruption, and the 3000 bad capacitors. So lol at all the people who bought 3080s before even knowing what the potential competition was, with a decent segment of them not even caring what Big Navi might be because "AMD drivers bad".)

1. Gpus are used for more then games.
2. If MSI is funneling cards like this they are breaking Nvidia rules. The reason we dont have any cards for $3000 at bestbuy is nvidia control.
3. The caps are not bad.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Best Buy could sell cards for $3000 all day if they wanted, MSRPs aren't enforceable.

They would then lose their ability to sell the product.

And if MSI keepes doing this poo poo you better believe that they would lose the ability to be a board partner.

The reason we have a good price at all is because of Nvidia doing this poo poo.

If Nvidia didn’t do it none of the cards would be under $1000 at any store whatsoever.

This is a good thing. It’s crazy to think that Nvidia shouldn’t do this or that it doesn’t need to be done.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Something tells me Best Buy is not eager to kill its entire computer department while it’s looking to be one of the few computer hardware big box retailers in America.

You are not going to see Best Buy charge $3000 for a gpu.

Nor are you going to see Best Buy open up an eBay account and start selling the cards for $3000 there.

MSI is probably trying to prove to Nvidia that’s not what they did right loving now.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

3. the caps are underspecced / a bad design choice / a gently caress Up

Did I miss something in this?

The caps work fine. The TUF card had the same crash and it had all the "better caps."

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1309659834468298753?s=20

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

:shrug: Beats me, I'm not constantly on hardware twitter. Are we at least sure that there's a major difference between the founder's cards and the partners?

No.

This thing you keep saying is happening is not happening.

edit: unless i'm really really wrong, I would love for you to give info where you got this

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

What part is not happening, the crash to desktop in games? It was definitively happening and multiple reports said that capacitor choices were at least part of the issue.

The crash also effects the TUF at stock speeds.

How is that a “capacitor choice issue.”

?

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 8, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I’m really loving tired of Linus‘s teeshirt lottery scam.

He’s doing another limited run of T-shirts and people are straight up asking if this one has a prize connected he’s like” oh no no no no no I would never do such a thing but if you buy the shirt something might happen.”

They deserve to have Canada‘s legal arm up their rear end for this, it is obvious what’s going on here.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry I’m not excited about people scamming children on youtube with gambling schemes?

Some Goon posted:

Gonna need some background there. People are buying Linus's shirts?

At some point during the pandemic he decided to have a giveaway where some shirts would be different and then those people would win some prizes. Then the very same evening he decided that he announced another limited run but definitely not guaranteeing the same thing would happen because that would be super illegal, according to him.

Now every single shirt is a limited run where he winks at the camera and says that he can’t promise anything but something might happen if you buy it.

It’s loving loot crates for YouTube.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah this is a whole thing among techies right now, retro game reproduction carts do a similar thing. Like the reproduction run of Street Fighter 2 carts where some people would randomly get a translucent green cart instead of a regular grey one.

I’d be chill with it if they were a little more smoother made it a little more random but literally every time it’s like “guys were not doing a contest because that would be illegal but if you buy our limited run shirt...”

https://youtu.be/aS9OgLifVjQ

@22:40

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

It's buying a tangible item with the chance of something extra. That's not gambling lol

It’s illegal to announce there’s a chance of getting something extra according to him when he did it the first time which is why he couldn’t announce it before he sold all the shirts.

Seems like a pretty fun and fair competition when done like that. (The first time)

Then 10 minutes later he announced that they were going to do another limited run of T-shirts that have a picture of a keyboard on the front but “definitely not confirming that this is another contest.”

The 300 shirts sold out in minutes and they were all gone before the show ended.

Edit: In a lot of ways this is way shittier than it being upfront and openly a contest but apparently that’s illegal according to him.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 8, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Theophany posted:

He literally says buying a shirt in the hope of getting something more is a dumb reason for buying their shirts at the timestamp you've linked. :shrug:

"There's no competition all you get is a shirt, and if something else happened to happen then that would happen...."

Weird thing to say when all your doing is just selling shirts, just saying.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Im not mad I’m just disappointed.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Purgatory Glory posted:

I just assumed that they have all this poo poo around the office that they don't know what to do with. So why not create some goodwill and stuff some if it in a random tshirt order? Seems harmless enough. The first foil shirts sold out super fast before anyone knew there was a potential prize I think.

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0t617WK10I&t=2069s

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The amount of monetizing, marketing and min maxing everything by Linus just makes me think that "give" is not in his vocabulary. But also I do know he does a lot of cool stuff for his employees (allegedly) so of course it's not that simple. In short, Linus is a land of contrasts.

...so he's basically doing raffles without calling them raffles? lol

I took it to mean it’s possible that you could just be buying shirts thinking you’re getting in a raffle that doesn’t currently exist.

They’re handing out entire gaming rigs so you can see how people are motivated to enter not even knowing if it a "contest shirt" or not.

It’s kind of a new thing for them so I guess we’ll see how often they give out prizes and why.

If people are buying shirts thinking they’re entering a contest that doesn’t exist then that’s kind of lovely.

I still like my swacket from LTT

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

Pretty much. My feeling is that if the industry hadn't become so glass-obsessed that they made cases with all glass and no ventilation, which ended up far worse than even oldschool closed cases, he wouldn't have been driven to make a test suite that extensively documents the benefit of high airflow (mesh).

Between mesh cases and the junk that's built primarily as displays for LED geegaws, I'm on Steve's side. But reluctantly, because I still think there's a reason for a (well-engineered, functional) closed-front case.

edit: just to be clear I'm not against mesh-fronts at all, they're great and superior at what they do well. But if I was buying a new case for myself, I'd get a Define 7 -- the modern incarnation of my trusty P182.

I rock a corsair 500D thats fully closed in the front and its got tons of airflow. Cooling is one of my main focuses and I found people on youtube with fully built systems saying the temps surprised them before I got it.

Steve was also the one who said an inch on each side on the front is fine after all.

The sides being open (the glass panels are spaced away a bit from the side) actually helps move air out of the case. It might be dumb luck on corsair’s part but I think it helps with the thermals.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Guitarchitect posted:

Back on-topic, i'm really curious as to who Linus is building that wonky pyramid PC for - he constantly trashes the person/client so it must be a friend of his or someone who gets a kick out of being humiliated?

I think its a joke and the client doesn't exist.

Kinda annoyed we dont get more fabrication and tech hijinks with linus anymore.

What happened to the man who did whole room watercooling?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I like Kyles more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDz9si6CG0M

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nvidia watched the industry react to msi and went “hold my beer.”

If Nvidia was scared about people compared their cards to AMD with RT off this was a loving terrible idea.

Welcome to the Streisand effect.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nvidia has walked it all back.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337885741389471745?s=20

But Nvidia, you guys “speak for us gamers”

I'm curious to see how “us gamers” are going to walk back an email where every single sentence was completely hosed.

:allears:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Well yeah, you cant do something incredibly hosed and then just say sorry.

Not a single sentence in that email is ok to send to an honest youtube channel just trying to give gamers accurate information they want.

Let alone the fact unboxed did cover other features enough to be a loving quote on Nvidia’s own site.

Brian should honestly resign for sending that.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

He's not wrong. Unless you go for the scalper stock now, I'm not seeing anything come back in stock before next year.

You might be able to buy a super overpriced entire system with a 3080/3090 from origin, corsair, maingear, digital storm ect ect still.

But I would not be shocked to hear that the insane demand cleared them out too.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/wdAMcQgR92k
New email at 22mins

Nvidia is claiming the lockdown caused them to write an immoral email and that they secretly do love the press they just worded the email poorly.

Gosh you know Nvidia I really wanna take your word but this lockdown fatigue is just going to cause me to say terrible things about you.

Edit: Jesus after watching the whole thing nvidia looks way worse

They didn’t send him a 3060 TI and told steve they would get back to him about it multiple times before finally sending that email.

This email didn’t get written in one day by a tired employee.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 14, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nvidia apologized, again.

Really feel like they should just throw a dart at Twitter and hire somebody to replace their PR team because they seem to be the only people on the face of planet earth that thought that email was a good idea.

The most loving hilarious part about all of this is that if anyone wants to know what this is all about just tell them it’s about Nvidia being scared of benchmarks without raytracing.

Good job pr team.

Great work at making sure the public isn’t focused on benchmarks without Ray tracing.

quote:

Hi Steve -

Thanks for your note. I just wanted to say again how sorry I am for my original email.

I overstepped my bounds and it’s as simple as that.

I love seeing all the ways reviewers test and report on our products and I value your contributions.

Suggesting that I would withhold samples because I didn’t agree with your commentary is simply inexcusable and crossed the line.

I failed myself, my colleagues, and the amazing community of reviewers I consider my friends.

You all work so hard in service of the gaming industry we love – you deserved better from me.

I hope you will forgive my mistake and give me the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

It would be great if you can share this with your fans so they know how I feel.

Thanks,

BDR

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 15, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Former Human posted:

What level of electrical shock is dangerous to your heart? At what point would you experience arrhythmia?

I think it matters a lot if you’re soaking wet or not because if your skin is dry the electricity doesn’t really penetrate it just kind of runs around the outside of you.

I use a Van de Graaff generator every year to create some pretty wicked bolts of electricity that reach about a foot out.

The Van de Graaff generator is kind a like an electric squirt gun. It takes a small amount of electricity and makes it really energetic (high voltage).

Voltage is a measurement of charge density. Voltage is what motivates electricity to move but it is not how you would measure how much it would take to kill someone.

Current, which is measured in amps, is a measurement of how much electricity is actually moving through something.

50mA on your heart and your dead.

How much voltage it takes to get that to happen can be figured out with V= IR because it will depend on the path it travels.

TLDR have dry skin before playing with elctoboom

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

That was just a year in review gripe. What a bore.

I was excited to see how hot the 10900K would get in that case with a dozen fans and no airflow.

I haven't watched it yet because comments like this have me worried I will be disappointed.

:ohdear:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

i used to work with one of the LTT employees and still see them occaisonally. they are underpaid relative to what they could make elsewhere but also have much better work satisfaction and work expectations at LTT. they're also able to freelance as much as they want and LTT is super accomodating of it

allegedly linus was kind of a libertarian MY MONEY employer early on but people explained to him that he'd never keep employees with that kind of attitude and also he was being a dick and he got a lot better

Linus was afraid he would hire people who would use his channel to make a name for themselves and move his audience to their channel.

But quality people want side hustle in his industry so he lets people do more now.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is Bitwit the who calls* his wife wifeysauce? Or is that a different one

Called*

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Worldshatter posted:

man idk at what point of buying 50k of stock for a "bit" does it stop becoming a bit

assuming he actually bought it and isn't just meming but idk I guess he probably has full financial control of the company if he really wants to spend money without getting advice

He promised people if they gave him money he would do it.

He didn't want to break that agreement.

For very good reason, the community would be very angry with him for lying and tricking them into giving him superchats for no reason.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Worldshatter posted:

I guess that's not *as* weird, pretty massive if people sent 50k in total but even if they didn't it's more of a justifiable expense I guess

the notion of encouraging people to give their money to you to invest it in an ongoing meme stock rubs me a little the wrong way but hey it's not like they were forced to superchat I guess

He basically was like LOL this is funny whatever you guys donate today I’m just gonna 5X match it for the memes.

Then he realized he had to cap them.

They hit the cap of 10k.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

And then he goes and surprises his friends on vacation maskless on his new channel, so not everyone is good

Not to mention going hard on the Lyle content there.

I’m gonna go way out on a limb and assume that his exwife hated the Lyle character which is why he is going ham now.

I wonder why they canceled awesome hardwear.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Has the cause of their divorce been announced or anything? I know it's probably none of my business but with all the Lyle stuff recently I'm morbidly curious.

I try not to theorize because of course I’m fascinated but I also hope for their sake it stays private if thats what they want.

Seems like it is.

That might be why he stopped awesome hardware.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

He is up on that investment and the controller is incredible so I'm not sure what you are talking about. :colbert:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He also said he was just going to sell it or melt it afterwards, its not like he's just going to have a gold controller lying around.

That was before it turned out really badass.

Now he wants to keep it in his office.