Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HUB have been doing monitors for ages, it’s one of their big differentiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve has information that will lead to the arrest of Linus Techtips.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nowher posted:

I just got a new phone and it seems like Youtube Vanced is no more?! Any other alternative for Android other than watching videos in firefox with ublock?

Yeah Vanced did NFTs using the Youtube logo and got C&D’d into oblivion by Google.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN’s big video is out, a full dive into how Artesian collapsed. Immediately it looks super weird how quickly the company warehouse was seemingly abandoned with a bunch of half built systems still left out.
https://youtu.be/L2xMi7inB28

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I didn’t even notice the music since once the intro was done most of it was the usual GN “Steve talks at you from behind a desk” format with no music.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN should absolutely build a news set for Hardware News videos though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The most objectionable part of that video was the A380 losing to the RX6400, also that weird experience bar they put in the intro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve's said in the community post as well that they don't have a creator contact any more because their old one left and new ones aren't always assigned to the same channels, so even being a huge channel they don't have any direct point of contact to try and sort things out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My favourite tweet about Linus was that he’s incredibly knowledgeable about technology and literally nothing else. I think when he was trying to tweet about tampons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No-one clicks on positive video titles though. Look at a positive review video and a negative one, the negative one will always have more views.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Warmachine posted:

"AMD and Nvidia Cards Will Never Recover From This"

Exactly, if you want to do a positive video you need to still plant the title in negative territory to bait the company fanboy types. Though my favourite videos are the ones that are the clickbait titles (Is The Analogue Pocket Overpriced?) that get quietly changed after the initial 12 hours view spike (Is The Analogue Pocket Worth The Money?).

Jeffery when can we have images as thread titles dammit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rudager posted:

True, but it only works if the accuser also has a similar reputation, some random no-ones ever heard of making very big accusations with no evidence isn’t going to do much.

However getting legal advice could help massively by making sure he doesn’t dig himself into a legal hole that causes issues later on.

If the culture at LTT is so bad that some person nobody knows says Linus did a bad thing and it causes half the staff to quit, well there were probably heaps of underlying issues already.

Most of the time credible accusers with plenty of evidence have no impact on someone. The accused just gets their head down and carries on as before a year or so later. See: Nick Robinson still being a big name in videogame media.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I believe The 8-Bit Guy would make an image like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a Youtube Reviewer thread in RGD that I occasionally go to laugh at when they're arguing over whether today's 15 hour long video essay on a random kids show is good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

His Steveness vents for 20 minutes about Intel's GPU drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYSeT-T5uk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbh the LTTStore merch is kind of a bad example to use for this conversation because the logos tend to be pretty subdued and they are genuinely doing interesting design work. Same for the GN merch.

Compare this to sites like GiantBomb and Nextlander which plaster a big "GIANTBOMB.COM" right up front.

Without doing that how will they get hilarious stories for podcasts about how they got in trouble in airports for wearing a shirt that said Giant Bomb on it. That skateboard deck GB did one time was pretty cool though I'm betting about 0% of them were actually used as skateboards.

I own an esports team jersey, I'm way too far gone down the not giving a poo poo hole to care about having a Youtuber logo on a shirt, though I probably still wouldn't buy any of their merch because half the time the cost of shipping this stuff to the UK is more than half what the drat shirt cost.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Same but to have more photos of Snowball on the GN Store page.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Actually if I was going to have one thing I'd yell at Youtuber shirts about its GN's current obsession with foil shirts, no-one wants to blind someone with the light reflecting off their gamer shirt that's probably going to flake off within 2 years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I carry my Macbook in a Playstation bag from 1998. It has stiff sides so it doesn't get crushed and has a nice net pouch inside for all my bullshit as well. Making a nice bag is a pretty solved problem unless you need a shitload of incredibly specific pockets.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve vs Newegg again, this time over their GPU benchmark site that shows the 3060 and 3080 giving equal performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywx09SVETE

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 5, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EngineerJoe posted:

I was wearing a Formula 1 cap when I was picking up my McDonalds order and the cashier commented about it and we started talking about F1. It was a nice interaction.

I'd rather be approached by an LTT fan than an F1 fan.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The $50 GN toolkit has a 7 year warranty.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

no idea whatsoever on validity or the person in question, don't know her from adam i can honestly say. i thought i knew of her from a cosplay someone did where they lit up their anatomy as part of a cyberpunk costume, but i might be misremembering otherwise i've never heard of her but she seems like a legit smaller creator from the most cursory glance.

there seems to be some unpleasantness with her being harassed over it too as you see alleged in the tweet.

Naomi Wu's a somewhat legendary tech person who has a history of being constantly shouted down or has people cast doubt on whether or not she actually made the stuff she does. She made the camera for spotting people taking upskirt photos that people mass reported on Youtube for violating privacy, and got doxxed by Vice about being a lesbian when she refused to talk to them about a story they were doing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Love to start my defense with "My reputation is impeccable".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You're not going to get someone in a locker with that backpack on, you'd need to cut it and that would void the warranty.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He's also been doing this over a decade now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

35 is crumbling into dust in internet years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For $500 I'd expect my toaster to also make omelettes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like that he pointed out that LMG is bigger than some of the PC parts companies they deal with at this point. Also man that loving WAN Show clip of Luke visibily irritated about the shirt while Linus rubs it in his face about how well the shirt sold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Luke trusts Linus implicitly and seems to have been treated very well, but like a lot of his subordinates my extreme outsiders perspective is that the "no drama" personal philosophy discourages people from disagreeing with him in anything but the most deferential ways. this also happens with other tech YouTubers sometimes

Yeah, you see this a lot where Youtubers aren't willing to openly criticise other Youtubers and when they do it's treated as 'Youtube drama', which is part of what makes Steve's angle of "No, this is a big company they should be treated like any other" so refreshing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think that needs to be the case, it's perfectly within character for Linus' dismissive and defensive behaviour to have gotten Steve's bile up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

The comments on Steve’s video are broadly supportive, if that means anything.

Not knowing what might have happened behind the scenes, he just seems annoyed with Linus’ whole roll with the punches approach which the t shirt kind of encapsulates. I think he’s right that it’s not even that Linus doesn’t face his mistakes head on, but does the exact worst thing and rides the controversy for profit, which feels very exploitative of LMGs audience on multiple levels (and then boasts on camera how much money they’ve made off the controversy). That all is just complete red rag to a bull territory for GN.

Yeah and like he said, if Artesian Builds had put out a "Reroll" shirt in the wake of that influencer stream everyone on the internet would've been on their asses within a second. Especially if they then bragged on a later stream about how many of them they'd sold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can also read it (and I think other posters in this thread have said the same) as trying to prevent the potential hypocrisy if LTT Labs starts up and then isn’t holding manufacturers to the same standard as themselves. Especially given, as Steve pointed out, that LMG is bigger than some of the companies they’ll probably be testing there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Screwdrivers are cheap. $80 will buy most people all the screwdrivers they'll ever use in their life. For ratcheting screwdrivers, $20 is the ballpark for even the relatively expensive brands. The LTT screwdriver is priced in the stratosphere tier. It costs more than the Snap-On, which is the benchmark for extremely expensive tools.

Yep, we have a ratcheting screwdriver with changable bits at work and I think it cost £30.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Or you bought the $250 backpack and absolutely need to have the screwdriver to go in the pocket specifically designed for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If I'd preordered the Linus backpack I would simply be much less defensive about it on an internet forum.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

no one here has preordered it i don't think

Charles Leclerc posted:

I can always do a chargeback on my backpack and feel no guilt, so gently caress it all I guess?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kliras posted:

impossible to tell what this video might be about, this clickbait has gotten out of hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dNzSjaFQQ

It's one of their monthly Q&A videos, which tend to be where some of HUB's dumber opinions come out like "It's only right for GPUs to increase in price according to performance"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh did the latest folding phone everyone’s hyping over have it’s screens start cracking after a month like every other folding phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but that is probably being bent once to how the owner wants it rather than being constantly folded and unfolded then being shocked when the glass screen stress cracks.