Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I saw the tweet but I mean that he wants it to happen

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

“I employ non white people.”

As if paying someone to do a job automatically means you respect them.

"I have black friends" but for capitalists.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I can't wait for Linus to go on vacation again so his staff can do whatever they want for a week again.

Alex hooking a PC up to a water tap was some big brain bullshit. So much so Der8auer did it too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Goon posted:

I dunno about Der8auer, but Linus's crew's takeaway was 'this is stupid, but effective', so it was still in the spirit of the joke.

LTT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXyyJyEtVI
der8auer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0-47to8-E

tl;dw: surprisingly effective, and possibly economical depending on where you live.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Connect your loop directly to the bath water.

Warm tub water whenever you need it.

The soap will keep the loop clean.

I've always wanted to make coffee with a water cooling loop, but you'll never get the water hot enough without cooking your silicon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charles posted:

I'm afraid of Americans

Americans are also afraid of Americans.

Americans are also afraid of Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, Austrailians...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

This guy seems like a tremendous goober but almighty algorithm decided to show me this video and I have to admit I laughed at the terrible premise?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F10R5mvnK4Q

I could have been in bed 15 minutes ago, and woken up rested for work tomorrow.

Instead I'm going to be up all night thinking about putting vegemite on a heat spreader.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

He also has an entire second channel that's basically just these https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

That channel is a pro click. Tech Jesus mountain biking is surprisingly relaxing.

I have an odd definition of relaxing, admittedly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Does the iFixit stuff have some genuine weight to them? As in it feels like a quality product? How are the bits? Any stripping, deformation etc. ?

I've only had mine for a couple months, but given I can't stop tinkering with my loving computer, it's seen use pretty much every other week. I haven't noticed any stripping, and honestly the fact that I have 100% of the bits I'll ever need and 90% of the ones I won't means I can use the exact driver I need instead of fudging it (looking at phillips here). The bendy extension is an MVP though, since I work on SFF stuff and getting my fat sausage fingers in there can be hell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:kimchi:

Being One Of The Good Ones™ makes me feel kinda good about this and laugh at the corny techtuber joke.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wibble posted:

Linus nuked a $2000 motherboard this week :(

Somehow I'm entirely unsurprised by this development. Was a paperclip involved?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

priznat posted:

If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?

My rent includes power, so I can stiff my landlord with the power bill.

Is this praxis?

mewse posted:

Madison was almost better than Linus at plugging lttstore.com during the 3rd gold xbox controller vid so I think she's gunning for his job

Given that Madison gave me bigger laughs than Linus ever did, I support this initiative. MTT when?

Keep Alex and Anthony though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Look, I don't watch LTT for insightful reporting or fair and balanced coverage of industry news. That's what Steve is for.

I watch LTT to watch the techtube equivalent of the Always Sunny gang gently caress up expensive electronics in hilarious ways. It's Jackass for people who have thousand dollar PC building hobbies.

With that out of the way, this Coreteks drama is exactly the content I follow them for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

“Stay tuned SOON for more Verified Actual Gamer drops

Sorry, we are currently out of stock.”

The quiz was to know the last two digits of the Konami code and if you put “Konami code” into Google the answer is immediately obvious.

I don’t see any indication that he was blocking people from buying multiple cards from him.

I’m not sure this counts as helping, linus

It's helping his bottom line.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xts3pvbcFos

Looks like Gigabyte is getting a grave plot next to NZXT and MSI.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've recently gotten super into LGR's videos and now I'm browsing ebay for 486 PC parts. Send help.

LGR retro tech videos are my easy listening choices.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Klyith posted:

Nah, that part is in fact the biggest bullshit of their statement, and one that only PC nerds would swallow because their main experience is PC benchmarking. But a PSU test isn't benchmarking a video card with a real game vs 3dmark.

Check this totally synthetic testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

That's how real engineers test things. You test to destruction with controlled conditions, while carefully watching how / where / why the failure happens. If you find a replicable weakness that could produce failure in real conditions, you fix it. Gigabyte is making a plane where the wings fold in half as soon as you start that test, insisting that it's not real world failure. (And meanwhile, their plane seems to be crashing a whole lot when the wings mysteriously fall off mid-flight. Ignore that man behind the curtain!)

Gigabyte's bullshit about the testing being wrong is probably what Steve is the most mad about, and why he went full Hulk Smash on them with a dedicated episode for killing the PSU live on video. That's getting into the category of not just PR truth-bending, but telling dangerous lies. It's like a medical company being anti-vax about Covid or something.

Raygereio posted:

Gigabyte doesn't have an argument there. Their press statement was just nonsense.

A power supply does not care that the current being drawn by a load tester, or by a GPU. If anything normal usage of the power supply in your system would be more stressful to it because the load would constantly vary.

It's this. As Raygereio, Klyith, and Steve himself have said, a synthetic load is less stressful since you aren't dealing with transient currents and fluctuating loads like you are in a real system performing a workload, then waiting for a new load, then working, then waiting, then working some more.

GN is collecting scalps at this point, and I look forward to the next report because drat I wanna see Gigabyte try and weasel out before someone at the CPSC notices.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Klyith posted:

So I wanna follow up with one clarification about this, because I think Steve's kinda tossed-off comment has the potential to be misunderstood. (It's the one thing I didn't like in that vid, but he's not working from script so it's hard to say things in ways that are both comprehensible to the audience and fully accurate.)

Mosfets are turning on and off all the time; that's how they work. The thing that produces 'wear' on them in a PSU is current and heat*. The main reason that a fluctuating load produces more wear in a normal scenario is that the transient peaks are much worse for them than the valleys are good. I am sure that a PSU held at 50% load will last longer than one that's bouncing between 10% and 90% while averaging 50%. However, I'm equally sure that holding it steady at 90% will kill it much faster than either.

*most of the time the current & heat are the same thing, because more current = more heat. but when they're different, in i dunno a LN2-cooled PSU, over current still kills.

So TBQH driving the mosfets at >130% of their rated load is close to the worst thing you can do to them, which is why that example was dead after 2 minutes of torture. If their testing procedure involved twiddling the buttons on their load tester to simulate a real-world load, it probably wouldn't kill them as fast.

But that would be stupid because the whole point of the test was to see if the OCP on those PSUs is set to a consistent and reasonable point (no) and whether it does the job of saving the PSU from catastrophic failure (no).

(I'm writing :words: just to make sure that nobody gets ideas like "mining bitcoin will make my PC last longer because steady state load is better than fluctuating!")

I stopped JUST short of saying "heat" in my post, since I'm so used to immediately translating a work load into a heat load. Literally thinking "MOSFET get hot, MOSFET get cold." And the only reason I don't shrug it off now is that I write stuff for a living where I have to go into tedious specifics like that because I can't guarantee the reader will understand the distinction when it is important.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm not so good at this - just to clarify here then: The 'core' problem here is that OCP is set way too high, and that if OCP was tighter, these might be fine units? Or is there also other component problems present?

No, the core problem is "something else." OCP failing to stop a catastrophic failure is a failure of your OCP implementation. While you presumably inform your choice of OCP by the rating of the hardware it is protecting, the actual trip point is arbitrary. High trip points aren't great because failures are a probability curve, and the more out of spec you get for longer, the higher the chance of a catastrophic failure.

The interesting insight is what they said about timings, which I interpret to mean polling rates. If the OCP isn't checking the status of the current draw often enough, it won't catch damaging transients and overcurrent situations fast enough to prevent damage (remember, time is a factor in the failure probability) or destruction.

In my non-electrical engineer lots of internet guy mind, either the parts downstream of the OCP are getting damaged before OCP trips because it doesn't trip fast enough or the OCP itself is faulty and is causing the catastrophic failure state. This is supported by how the PSU detonates at 60% load after the second OCP trip. Assuming QA tripped it once to make sure it was working, that means after 3 OCP trips, the components (namely that big rear end capacitor) were damaged enough to explode.

Someone wanna check me on that?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

That’s some pretty aggressive extrapolation. You can just say he’s a nerd with questionable hardware restoration/analysis “practices” and some broader political opinions you don’t dig and a bizarre need to performatively get weird in Subways.

I mean I find his taste in sandwiches at least as alarming as his need for a rifle in there.

Don't shame a man for enjoying elastic bread.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Isn't bitwit asian himself? Seems odd to call his act racist

This line of thinking gets into "N-word privileges" debates, and yeah it's still pretty racist for him to be doing a bit based on the stereotype of Asian immigrants with poor English skills. Leaving aside questions of how Asian and how immigrant you need to be to have your East Asian N-Word Card, I'm going to go out on a limb and estimate that the demographics of the audience he caters is probably white Gamers.

You're welcome to try and convince me his intended audience is Asian immigrants with (or who previously had) poor English skills and that him doing the bit at a black dude is somehow speaking truth to power, but uh that's gonna be a hard sell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hm hm lets see what's going on in the YouTube Tech Idiots thread.

:yikes:

Right to repair is something for poo poo-idiots like me who are comfortable working with microelectronics to be able to get the relevant documentation needed to service poo poo, order the parts, and install said parts without sending the product to the manufacturer. It's not about assuming away engineering compromises or whatever strawman people were throwing out on the last page. If that is what people think it is, then that is a social problem (much like people treating Top Gear, Fox News, and Linus Tech Tips as trusted authorities).

Framework is not some flagship right to repair device, because it isn't solving the problem RTR wants to solve: the systemic opacity surrounding proprietary devices that creates untold amounts of e-waste (and other forms of waste see John Deere).

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, so if you want to be told how to use your hardware and software with virtually no customization options exposed, then Apple makes stuff for you. You'd also be right to observe that they sell a ton of devices.

I like it when my devices let me do things though, and 'detrimental customization' is only detrimental when you prefer being told what you can do, and how you can do it. The idea of modular IO is honestly enough for me to seriously consider a Framework device.

I prefer to spend my time customizing things other than my phone. My phone has a handful of jobs none of which I feel like compromising in the name of customization. For the same reason you don't overclock a production server, I don't jailbreak my phone--or even want to install things outside the Apple walled garden. It still boggles my mind that people don't understand this philosophy.

The only convincing argument has been that the type of reporting LTT, and many other tech YouTubers, does is misleading to the average viewer and that allowing it is a social problem. I agree with that one, because the Fox News/Breitbart/Top Gear argument correctly points out that people don't seem to have a good critical eye for separating entertainment from journalism. See also everyone who thinks right to repair = modular laptops.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I could go on and on and on. There isn't a definitive definition of what exactly "right to repair" legislation should cover, which is why it's such a shitfest and IMO doomed until there's a serious attempt to discuss and settle on a single definition using a new terminology, popularize it in the public mind, and then once people understand it and can support it, push legislation based on that.

I can very much agree with RTR being Occupy Hardware.

SalTheBard posted:

For right to repair stuff I really like this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Tronicsfix

He buys broken electronics from ebay and then tries to fix them and sell them. He often talks about how "I don't have the schematics so I can't effectively troubleshoot this device." He also talks about things like "I can't buy this component directly from the manufacturer". I think his channel is pretty interesting in that regard. It makes me wish I had paid way more attention during my Basic Electronics class I took in the military.

I flunked my highschool electronics class, but between taking what I could away from it (mostly the practical PCB assembly part) and filling in the blank with a decade of math and random computer gibberish, I've made myself comfortable enough to use a sodering iron on very expensive things. Having the nerves to dive into a project without fearing the cost of failure helps too. The most commonly cited reason I get from people about not wanting to repair/build their own tech is being afraid of breaking something.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 18, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

well why not posted:

These long red shoes are hard to run in, and this rainbow wig is a bit unprofessional. To say nothing of the honking red nose.

Clowning is very serious work. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SpicyPete posted:

He was yelling on Twitter a while ago when he was testing PS5 and Series X thermals. The console crowd is built different and they saw this as a personal attack against Their Brand

I have a hard time faulting for someone for yelling at unruly man-children.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I don’t think i saw steve this angry in a while, also lol at customer protection law in the us being such a joke

Honestly I know Steve really loves the data side of what he does, but if he made his primary thing just going around collecting the heads of lovely companies that would still put him head and shoulders above everyone else out there.

He's already got a pretty large collection at this point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What's the joke? "Hard drives are a failure device with data storage as a side effect."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Either way it boils down to whether Newegg will just keep digging, or post a mea culpa. Given the history with MSI, NZXT, and Gigabyte, I'd say we've got some piping hot content coming our way.

Which seems like opposite day given that GN now has a reputation for swinging at large companies doing shady poo poo because of the relative independence of the GN brand, but... lol I guess?

Steve made it abundantly clear in the MSI debacle that they can afford to refuse review samples and alienate corporate PR teams because they have the money--thanks to their viewer base buying merch--to not rely on things like review samples to do their job.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shipon posted:

when will people realize that hiding tweets is pinning them at the top

Around the same time they realize that trying to bury the story just makes the eventual blowback worse.

So, never.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

It's kind of shocking how many people are leaping at the 'one bad apple' defense for newegg, despite the fact that this went through so many hands and departments that it's impossible for that to be the case, let alone the company culture that promotes this sort of poo poo in the first place. This isn't even talking about newegg's shuffle thing where they are bundling actual trash with GPUs to get sales on otherwise unsellable items

The more I consider it the more I think there's some kind of e-clout chasing going on with how people will white-knight lovely companies. In a "look at me and my dissenting opinion, so brave!" way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It doesn't seem like the type of move they'd make to build up a bunch of clout as being the trusted source of news to then go and pull an LTT level stunt without having something to back that up.

I'm putting my chips on Steve being out for blood because of something he found.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I feel like a large part of amazon's customer friendliness is purely a function of their size. There is no feasible way for them to carefully investigate and monitor every individual return request to make sure each one is above-board, considering how many they must get every day. So large parts of the process are automated by necessity, and so far this has panned out in favor of the customer since the system seems to take their word for the most part. Unless you return too much poo poo, then Amazon might just ban your account outright without warning. The flipside to the automated process is that the algorithm can suddenly decide that oops, you're a bad actor after all and abruptly reverse course to ban your rear end. (and good luck appealing that)

This might be optimistic, but Amazon has enough money to schlepp about that they might feel a permissive returns policy will be worth any losses compared to the bad press (and subsequent losses) from a customer service scandal.

So, basically the opposite of Newegg.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

But then they'd make slightly less money, and that is the greatest crime possible.

The highlight imo was back at the start with Newegg trying to cancel the recording part of the meeting until they realized that Steve would publicly call them out for doing that and then un-changed their minds. That alone makes anything else they say worthy of doubt in and of itself.

To me that's pretty standard corpo damage control. Someone said something, a person at a higher level contradicted them and told them to say this, but since Steve has receipts and is willing to post them he can make them look really bad in the public eye for doing it. So they have to back down.

That said, Newegg could have REALLY pulled out all the stops and fired up a PR stunt here if they wanted to. Everything inside those doors can be extremely tightly controlled if Newegg wants. I suspect they're extremely paranoid of someone going off-script right now though. It would be trivial to let Steve film all the way to the conference room. Post-it notes covering names and a "keep this area clear" directive to employees would do the job.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Look, they spent a lot of money on external consultants to come up with those KPIs so they aren't just going to throw them out

What they need is a way to bundle all those lovely KPIs into a derivative asset they can sell to shareholders.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If that's what they want just call it a sponsorship like the rest of the industry.

Or the biggest names in the community can drag you across social media like this is the wild west.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

The video of Steve's visit to Microcenter just went up, and it's very heartwarming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmWpqbV9KA

11:24 the MC sales guy asking Steve if there's a meaningful difference between CL16 3200 and CL16 3600 :3:

edit: Honestly everything about that video is just wholesome. Really good Monday morning viewing.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 7, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charles posted:

It was Tesla themselves that showed the Model S Plaid running Cyberpunk 2077, claiming it has the performance of a PS5. I think there were some Tesla branded game controllers spotted so it seems on brand for Tesla to sell something like that in the future.

Can't wait to die in a car crash while playing Cyberpunk because the self-driving program drove me off a bridge.

edit: drat but if "Steve Loses It" isn't appropriate for that segment on the Artesian Builds video. Somehow he sounds angrier than he did in the first Newegg video.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 10, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Adolf Glitter posted:

That Artesian guy totally sucks in every way.
My God, he even has a punchable voice

To say nothing for his fashion sense. Isn't that jacket from Guardians of the Galaxy or something?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Yep, it's a replica Star Lord jacket and he seems to genuinely think that makes him very cool. The fact that that character's whole shtick is trying desperately to be cool when he super isn't (and he is also played by another weird douchebag) makes this almost TOO on the nose. I don't think this guy is that self-aware, though.

He used a frowny-face in a business email.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

I never even knew there were "pro" and non-pro Threadrippers, isn't the point of a Threadripper that it's only pros who should really be using it?

You'd think, but people also bought 3090s for gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s this.

Also, microcenter is almost always cheaper if you can physically get down there. And they’ve got tons of oddball poo poo. It’s rare they don’t have something.

The closest microcenter is three hours from me, but you bet your rear end I've driven across the state to shop there for everything from buying expensive core components to "holy poo poo I need liquid metal right now."