Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uOzNt-xwY

Person makes his own expansion cards. One is making a magsafe connector while the other is a hide away for his mouse rf transmitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Only yelling I can think of more recently was directly at nzxt and gigabyte. Outside there was the exasperation in his follow up about correct aio radiator orientation.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Pretty hilarious/sad that card is in there when even the ryzen 4000 series apu chips would be an upgrade.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Meanwhile, another fire problem happened. Jayztwocents covered it yesterday and and then followed up on it today. But since he openly admits to just rehashing buildzoid, I'll just link buildzoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkO4wiEAY4

TLDR: Asus Maximum Z690 Hero motherboards are having a problem that can either be a straight up fire or just a failure to post with the code reading no memory. Buildzoid notes that in some that haven't exploded like jayz' board, there is a cap placed in a different orientation to the ones that exploded. As these things are polarity locked, it is a bad idea to have them installed in reverse which appears to be the case for those that failed. Fun stuff.

Including the monitor, we have most of the bones for a true fire hazard pc for the year I think. Between the evga 3090s in new world, the nzxt riser cable, the smoking monitors that gn couldn't recreate, gigabyte's exploding power supplies, and now an asus motherboard. Just need some ram and nvme drive to finish out the year properly. Maybe even a cpu for comedy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

It seems to be a zener diode used for voltage clamping. Of course the wrong way around, it doesn't really do that.

I guess either someone at the manufacturing site put a reel the wrong way around into the pick-and-place, or the supplier hosed it up and loaded the reel wrong. Either way, considering the component size and the size of reels, if it didn't get noticed, there's probably a four digit batch of boards that went out this way.

Several comments are saying you can't put the reels in the wrong way because the chips would be upside down. What can happen is the supplier had the orientation in reverse to what it was initially and no one up dated the machine to take that into account. Again though, there are optical scanners after each step that should have identified it. Considering the problem isn't as wide spread, there is another option. The boards where the chips are flipped may in fact to be hand placed ones. Where the chip was picked up and spun off the grabber and so the board was rejected. But the person placing it by hand didn't check orientation and thus you have this batch of boards where things are not so peachy. It would also explain to some degree the changes in supplier parts as well along with the picker qc check missing it.

Edit: Reread and noticed you said supplier. So woopsie on that part. Still interesting. You can also see a comment from eevblog on there as well pointing out that it can't be a revision changing their orientation because all the other components would be moved around as well.

Pretty interesting seeing the several tech tube channels kind of getting together and answering it like this. In Jayz' video, he says that if you have one of the boards where it is reversed like that, just call in an rma now which is a good recommendation.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 28, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Theophany posted:

idk if it got posted yet, but jay's ability to make incredibly poo poo takes is really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPidlmMPfA

don't actually watch it because he's basically a facebook aunt, but the jist is 'programmers are lazy for using code libraries and should code everything from scratch' lol

I had the impression he was just saying programmers shouldn't be just whole sale taking libraries and using them without understanding the scope of what they can do. And as such, limit the scope the library can do when used. Not just wholesale banning of these libraries.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I guess Newegg is going to be the latest of GN's wrath.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1478615747819712515

tldr: They bought a mobo off newegg, returned package via rma unopened (was still in the shipping box even). Newegg denies refund claiming thermal paste in the socket.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For me, this is one of those instances where a normal person claiming bad rma would just get a "well, most likely a garbage company, but maybe you did do it and just cover it up". However, in the case of GN, the view is highly skewed in GN's favor. More impressively is, if there is paste on the socket as they claim, that would be a manufacturing defect. But most likely, it wasn't. As said though, bad faith they keep the money while also not sending the product back.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There was a tweet reply in one of the previous gn tweets where someone said newegg actually switched them. Or maybe it was on reddit. Either way, person had taken a screenshot of the order right before paying that showed it was to be new. But arrived as open box and order review said the person ordered open box. I assumed some level salt, but perhaps steve contacted the person and got info. Or somone else with similar experience contacted steve.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I assume people are aware of the blow up happening on twitter currently. GN just stepped in and jayz had already put in his two cents earlier in the day. It is weird because there is also the cross over to me of not just these two people, but also josh strife hayes also pitching in.

For those not aware, artesian pc is some small time start up custom pc company. They decided to do some giveaway live. The winner was some start up streamer. And instead of cheering about this, they just flat out went nope right on air because of the streamer's low viewer count. Which just obviously started a firestorm. So yeah, Jay plans to do a video putting together a pc for the streamer as compensation. GN is cheersquadding talking about how when steve was on his own, he had once been belittled by a now dead company for his lower sub count. And then Josh Strife Hayes has been happily throwing punches at them.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1498840640272191493
https://twitter.com/JoshStrifeHayes/status/1498825418761445378

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Klyith posted:

holy poo poo all of that sounds like my legal hot take was correct, they're gonna be crushed by the state of cali for this. their bank accounts are frozen goddamn.

lmao you can rip off the state for millions with medicare fraud, or literally steal the money for needy kid's food programs, and it'll take 2 years before anyone catches up with you

but mess around with gambling or lotteries, and you get a team of accountants with guns and SWAT gear busting through your door in about 5 minutes

Like joker once said.
"I may be crazy for taking on batman. But the irs? Noo thank you."

Never get so public while bouncing state charges like a business license or taxes. They will hunt you down.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

He's not wrong though. HEDT's killer features in the past were core count, PCIe lanes, and sometimes memory capacity. For all basically anything that's not a hardcore production box, the only thing that you really can't get now out of a 5950x et al are the crazy PCIe lane count. There is also usually a ton of L2/L3 on HEDT chips, but Ryzen 3 isn't that far behind the TRX4 chips that exist today.

That said, I would still like to see HEDT as a chip class. I don't think *I* would ever choose one with the state that Ryzen is in today, but it fulfills an interesting niche.

How much closer will the cache difference be when amd launches the ryzen chips with that 3d cache thing. I've been kind of on the sideline about getting one when it releases as it seemed like it provides a decent uplift on the existing 5000 chips.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's quite depressing to look at PCPartPicker in america a lot of the time. We have Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and B&H Photo as our most viable options, with smaller stores like MemoryC and Adorama sometimes showing up but never as the cheapest option. And each of our four viable options suck rear end in their own ways. For most of the items catalogued there, we get only two or three choices, with Newegg usually being the cheapest, or sometimes Amazon.

Odd that Microcenter doesn't show up.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfsG-Ai2PA

I know it would make the testing process take longer, but I wish GN would be at least a little bit more flexible with their case testing and include more tests using alternate configurations. They say here that adding more fans according to the manufacturer's suggestions would pave over bad design or other shortcomings in the test results, and this is true to some extent, but those extra fan slots are still features of these cases that are going untested. And I still think it's silly to test a water-cooling-focused case exclusively with an air cooler. They should still test the stock config because that's important, but I think an additional test that pits each case's ideal fan layout against each other could be helpful too. And ideally they'd also have a separate water-cooled test bench, though I understand how much of an added pain in the rear end that would be.

One issue I can see why they've shied away from watercooled tests is just the cases themselves. Take the o11 and o11 mini. How would you standardize your tests for both cases to meet? The mini can't do a 360 rad on top along with a 360 rad on the bottom if you use an atx motherboard. Likewise, the mini also can't do a 360 rad on the side. It is limited to 240 on the side and 360 on the bottom in atx configuration. So if you test to the limits of the mini, you are still leaving cooling potential on the table from the extra surface area of a larger rad.

So in this case, I understand why they stuck to just air cool testing. And generally speaking, the better a case is at air cooling, the more efficient it'll be at watercooling anyway. Hell, my o11 mini is running as an air cooled setup while I finish getting the last parts to convert to a water cooled system.

Edit: I don't know what I was on while writing this, but I'll blame only being awake for an hour or so.

Name a case where a specific aio/cpu/mobo combination had a different temperature difference between them. You won't. As Steve said, watercooling is kind of brute forcing a fix. No matter how bad the airflow is over the cpu and/or gpu, a water cooling system will just move that heat to an area that does have airflow. In such a case, it doesn't matter how little airflow happens in the case around the cpu or gpu because the water cooling solution picks up the slack. In such a setup, no matter what case you use, you'll still have the same result.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 21, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Another round of "bash alienware" from Steve

https://youtu.be/DY1dlVPzUVo

That case is dire need of a serious redesign. Steve point of custom motherboards being bad still wrong tho, nobody is going to keep upgrading those prebuilt beyond swapping disks, gpu and ram, which are all user upgradable.

And now they've posted the actual test results to go with that teardown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvxSkqJ8ic

The level of thermal throttling is just.. yikes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

It's actually because Germany and some other European countries mandated light-colored equipment in offices, and economies of scale kicked in and made it the only color you could get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skbgEGEn80

Even still, not all beige was the same. I remember beige cd-rom or 5.25" drives being off color to the beige of the case. When you could find them. Generally were white or black even though there really wasn't a matching case for it in most people's homes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Shouldn't usb-c naturally take over due to the higher power delivery available?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The phone chips are doing that on a lower power draw too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

njsykora posted:

No-one clicks on positive video titles though. Look at a positive review video and a negative one, the negative one will always have more views.

For reviews sure. What is the positive video going to cover? Nothing more than the talking points the marketing dept was already talking about. But look up a negative one and find out what other pitfalls you didn't think about or were unaware of come to light. That is the sad truth of it. Marketing of these companies are already covering the positives. Instead, you look for the "and what is the catch to this amazing thing".