Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got caught up on this letter today and man, everything in that letter was even worse than Intel trying to cast shade at AMD without talking up their own product. Ray Tracing is great and I hope it becomes the next tech in all games eventually, just like Pixel/Vertex shaders back on the GF3 days became the shader cores of today. But to send a letter like that as if RT was the established tech being used from here on and anything else is against "Us Gamers" is a pretty big jump in whatever logic the writer was trying to use.

Either way to see Linus get as on fire about it as he did was pretty neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

He's not wrong. Unless you go for the scalper stock now, I'm not seeing anything come back in stock before next year.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

spunkshui posted:

You might be able to buy a super overpriced entire system with a 3080/3090 from origin, corsair, maingear, digital storm ect ect still.

But I would not be shocked to hear that the insane demand cleared them out too.

I just got done building a very nice rig for a Friend of a Friend and was lucky I bought most of the parts in early/mid November. Things like the Case/PSU/RAM are all out of stock or on backorder so even if you pay the scalper prices for the CPU/GPU on eBay, or do try to go with a Prebuilt, it may still not arrive until next year.

Hell even after paying scalper prices for the CPU/GPU, the final total for the build was still less or about on par with the price for an Origin PC and a few other prebuilds I had looked up for comparison. Go figure.