Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr.Radar posted:

And Steve gets to listen to the CEO of EVGA's insane audiophile sound system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq4LRFPyiq4

What's the point? Of course he's not going to say anything bad about it even if it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Not bad Youtube, only took me 5 times of flagging not interested and 5 page refreshes to get rid of Linus in my recommendations just because I subbed a retro PC channel.

...and now he's back again in the list.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like Unbox Therapy also doesn't really know anything about the things he talks about. His videos are just like "omg look how cheap this Android phone is" and the entire video could just be summed up with the thumbnail.

At least Linus knows some stuff.

That fucker shows up in the recs in any video that is remotely consumer tech related. YT really likes pushing their megamillions yet trashy low-effort superstars.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheCoach posted:

If you are into old PCs then PhilsComputerLab is a really great channel, he has lots of videos with benchmarks and building tutorials that are super helpful.

Here's him building a 486 with a modern power supply and flash based storage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHIVGxNnkbA

Well, he's the only PC hardware guy I subscribed on YT.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I could care less about his gimmick, I just want to stop seeing his clickbaity face over and over in my YT recs whenever I watch aything tangentially related to PC hardware, despite flagging him as not interested for the zillionth time.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Thanks Ants posted:

These YouTube channels with a gently caress-ton of cash flow seem to be about one advertising algorithm change away from bankruptcy. Especially as they move away from being original content that people want, and towards being popular for being popular.

I hope that day comes ASAP since:
1. The tears from clickbaiters who tied themselves up to a non-guaranteed source of income will be delicious
2. Without them anyway, there will still be no shortage of creators making actually good content

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arivia posted:

Linus Media Group has to be over 100 employees by now. No excuse to not have counsel at least on retainer from a business firm even if it’s not a full-time hire.

but im simultaneously a very rich guy and also a poor boy working in my mum's creaky basement

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

K8.0 posted:

I do not understand what the point of the product is. It's inferior to a plain screwdriver for PC building, and lacking a torque mechanism it's not a great general nerd dicking around tool, so what exactly is it? Torque drivers are actually a wide open market where every existing product is deeply flawed and a $100 torque driver that was actually accurate would probably sell to all kinds of markets, not just LTT fans. A high end pair of #1 and #2 screwdrivers might also sell, most of the products on the market today kinda suck because they tend to have handles that react to something or another and wind up being horrible to use if you expose them to the wrong thing. But this product? I don't know who the hell would actually buy that.

I had used some of the cheapest and shittiest screwdrivers for PCs and never had a problem. Unless of course if you have an OCD at overtightening everything.

Same for my $20 Chinese generic multimeter, it's great for everything except handling 2000V surges which is a moot point when I only work with equipment that tops out at 230V and it's a rare occurrence anyway. Even if HV protection is important I still have a $40 Kyoritsu one that does the job.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 28, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheFluff posted:

Most of YouTube (and especially nerd YouTube) is just content marketing at this point, there are weirdos running independent channels here and there but they're pretty rare.

what the gently caress do you mean you want to see actual functionality tested in an unboxing video

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Koskun posted:

Glass side panels (and more than side in some) are an aesthetic thing.

i love glass on cases even if i hate RGB with a hellish passion

guess im weird

Warmachine posted:

I hate to be the wet blanket, but that case is probably reasonably new. It's just that the big box sellers still use that cheap Dell/Gateway/HP thin aluminum tooling with new siding every iteration. There's even been a few in GN's prebuild reviews recently.

Like take the plastic cladding off an alienware and what you have is f.f's picture but with a one-off proprietary motherboard and power supply because Dell.

My firsthand experience with >2013 HP SFFs is they are wonderful to work with and feels pretty solid.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 12, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m so loving tired of everything being a subscription.

I was watching the cyberpunk anime today and in the first EP they had a scene where the in unit washing machine stopped mid-cycle because they ran out of money, and I feel we’re genuinely frighteningly close to that reality.

It’s not fair when everything is explicitly designed to be subscription so they can suck more money out of you. IMO Subscriptions need to have real, tangible, remote access or multiple delivery necessities to be acceptable.

Having to subscribe to a remote GPU that could fit in your home PC without issue because they can get more money in the end should be legislated into the shadow realm.

Why are you against the free market, commie.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"Then don't engage with it" is a good argument until you are dealing with effective monopolies

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
mars by 2030 with a youtuber screwdriver

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
flagship mobo shilling is my longtime favorite of "how to very carefully avoid mentioning the elephant in the room about they never bring any real CPU performance benefit over the bargain basement SKUs outside of hitting VRM limits"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 20, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
billgates also altruistically spent billions to destroy vast tracts of african farmland

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr.Radar posted:

On the WAN Show, Linus just announced he's planning to launch a Spanish version of the channel. That wouldn't be too unusual, but they are LTT so of course they're doing it differently: they plan to use machine learning to transcribe their videos, machine translate the transcription, and then synthesize a new voiceover. He gave a quick demo and it was pretty dire, especially the voiceover. The chat was practically begging Linus to just use subtitles instead.

im pretty sure there are comedy channels entirely dedicated to machine translate content back and forth multiple times

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Memri Tech Tips

"how did he afford a 4090? Through Jihad"

what would this 4090 do if we had a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Weird they didn’t go with Chinese first, especially since they have staff members who speak/read fluently in both Cantonese and Mandarin IIRC.

every LTT episode has already being reuploaded onto Bilibili with fanmade chinese subtitles

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Baronash posted:

Why? I would imagine that if you were to calculate a metric comparing the total hours of use per pound of ewaste, Stadia's server hardware would be far more efficient in that regard than home gaming PCs that generously see a few hours of use each day.

just my 1070 doing exactly nothing when powered on at 11W probably draws 4x the power of my phone viewing youtube

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
from my very limited experience, building computers by and for people who has zero or little willingness to learn troubleshooting is just asking for trouble

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh poo poo is THAT what that was? It was driving me crazy how videos kept playing at low res until I manually turned them back up. I thought I was having weird connection issues and I did a lot of troubleshooting on my router.

loving A/B testing is just corporate gaslighting.

they also made it harder to switch resolutions on their lovely android official app

google loves their non evil passive-aggressive stealth capitalist poo poo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

lol the corsair employee (who GN didn't name) is apparently jonnyGURU himself, the former PSU reviewer and now head of R&D at corsair

i see corsair still trying hard to pretend they aren't a label sticker on OEM with half-baked at best utility software

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
welp turns out nobody gives a poo poo other than those taking in the marketing $$$

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Rtings is better than 99% of them just by showing all the technical info on a static webpage

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Eve Sturkeb

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

~Coxy posted:

The real fuckup is not having it available in time for Christmas.

Real engineering is when muh brands

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kerbtree posted:

He’s probably give them less stick if they did’t cut basically every possible corner, ever.

as somebody who works with HP SFFs, the dumb is coming from this thread

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
why would they still want to keep that amazing bear inside a trash bag

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
WTH is a flipped cap

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SalTheBard posted:

This specific motherboard, one of the capacitors had been put on backwards. Boards with flipped caps had issues with catching on fire or exploring.

A reverse voltage up to 1V is quite tolerable long-term for a electrolytic cap IINW

if that flipped cap is used to power the CPU that has a Vcore around 1V anyway that wouldn't be a problem with enough luck

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's not exactly a shortage of obnoxious people who make a career out of being obnoxious.

needs more tryhard youtuber face

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
attention seeking for $$$ in MY capitalism?

woah

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Even my local FM radio is now full of the "tell me about advertisements without telling me they are advertisements" bullshit

the moment the hosts talk about their .~* personal preferences *~. its definitely 99.99% gonna be selling something

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 22, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wargames posted:

This really can't be stated enough how drat good sponsorblock is, like installing adblock for the first time good.

wait how is this still officially on the chrome web store lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I dunno about you all, but I'm happy enough with watching playthroughs on streaming that I pretty much stopped caring about PC hardware anymore

im also sure :capitalism: will try killing the former

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Inept posted:

copper heatpipes on aluminum heatsinks are the best combination of heat transfer, weight, and cost. an all copper heatsink the size of a nh-d15 would weigh over 4 kg

it doesn't matter anyway when the heat transfer is already mostly limited by the die itself, at least on current CPUs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
not sure which thread to put this but i opened some juniper firewall which was sold brand new in 2013 using loving DDR1 lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BattleMaster posted:

GN says they've been using the solder mat internally for a while so it was probably made more for their own specs and then just sold because why not.

I'm surprised they do that much soldering, though I don't watch every single one of their videos so I guess I wouldn't know. Modern computers aren't very friendly to hand soldering repairs in any case.

even laptop and phone repair shops don't really use irons anymore

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

or people who watched a northridge fix video and thought hey, that seems easy

it seems like 80% of their repairs now are from people who tried to do their own repairs and failed

one of the memes among mobo repair videos in china is "faulty mobo? just replace the southbridge first before fixing anything else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shipon posted:

custom loop also requires maintenance that maybe the people they give the computer to might not want to deal with

its really funny how shiny new PSUs, mobos and GPUs shown on chinese out-of-warranty repair vids are almost always there due to water cooling leaks

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 28, 2023