Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks to LGR I now know that the strange staccato cadence of the 'default' text to speech voice in the 90s was actually just how the guy who made it talked. I had always assumed it was a software limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Everything about it looks like an adult swim style parody, but then the jokes never come and it's just earnest PC building advice and there's this weird moment where you realize no, you're not going to laugh.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

LTT is first and foremost advertisement for the brands that give him all the poo poo they use. It's kinda funny that the most popular/effective form this takes is tech-related comedy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Linus also ends that video by saying 'just buy the newest iPhone as soon as it comes out if you want one', which isn't the most anti-apple message either.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Linus made decent filler content, but Linus in his underwear for multiple seconds was too far. No one needs that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

They've done a bit with it, but not a lot. In fact, in their latest "crazy custom server" video they outsourced the manufacturing of the server case to a third party at four-figure expense.

Like drat near everything else, they got it for free, it just would cost four figures normally.

I like GN as much as the next person but it's not the kind of thing you watch unless you're looking specifically for a review of the item in question.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Watching Anthony give a breakdown on how to set up your own hackintosh was jarring as in depth technical details or even admitting the existence of a command line was the last thing I ever expected to see on LTT.

And, whatever you think of Linus, you can't deny that what he's doing is effective.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

What are the right reasons? A Clint fetish?

Yes?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you want Steve to be entertaining you've got to get component manufacturers to do more stupid things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I know one of y'all has a floppy drive piano. Clint needs some 5.25" Christmas tunes for his intros.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I was just wondering what happened to that this morning.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The 'employees talk about Linus' video had him as a non-stop workaholic. I took this as a thirtysomething Linus contemplates mortality / the impact of his workaholism. The thing is, I don't think he actually wants to stop it, you don't work 16 hour days without it being in your personality. He's smart enough to see how it's impacting his family and I hope for his sake he can scale back.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

Serious question:is there any way to lower the pitch of a YT video?

Not being a bat, his voice is far too high and squeaky for me.

Play it at half speed?

E: your computer probably has a universal EQ somewhere too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

We don't have a thread for casemods, so I'll share this here because it's pretty sweet.

https://youtu.be/IRxOPDl5ZM4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Not like you can put too much butter in eggs, but hot drat thats a lot of butter for two eggs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Butter + salt = tasty, and I'm pretty sure there's no level where there's not a linear relationship, but its also why restaurant food is so so bad for you.

Two tablespoons of butter is already more butter than egg, throw in the sour cream and Mr. Ramsey has himself a thick-rear end custard masquerading as breakfast.

E: Also in LGR foods, this went up today too.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 17, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Even bedroom Linus tried harder. C'mon past Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwrubJC3II

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

better than JayzTwoCents tweet about how he has guns and is prepared to take a life if his property is in danger

I believe you, given that he's a navy brat, but got a link? I don't Twitter and have a morbid interest in seeing peoples stupidity.

Linus's heart may have been in the right place but jfc.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480

here's just one

the actual "rioters are at my walled community I will protect my property and my family by any means necessary" tweet seems to be gone, but he sure tweeted up a loving storm in the responses that tells you all you need to know

I asked for it and I'm still upset. Thanks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

well why not posted:

that's more like it :

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1270449908567273472

20k is pretty serious money, even for someone as cashed up as Linus

I often wonder just how much money Linus has (obviously a lot, but like a lot a lot, or a lot a lot). Given that he says his wife (and children?, I didn't watch the whole thing) will never have to work, he probably won't notice it, but even then its def serious apology money.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rudager posted:

I didn't know that, that's pretty smart actually! Can't fault his business skills in being able to build it from himself reviewing stuff on YouTube into an actual business with diversified income streams instead of 99% of other big youtuber's who just go and make a second VLOG channel or sell merchandise LTTstore.com a to diversify.

FTFY

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Y'all've never met a Texan, have you? They're weird, they're all weird.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I know Linus is just shilling his hats, but it really looks like he's balding.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Eh, performance data is performance data. I agree it doesn't make for great video content, but it's the content you want when you want to know how something performs. I'm 100% sure Steve (from Gamersnexus) would rather just put out the article and accompanying graphs since it's the best data in the best format for said data, but he's been explicit that it's videos that pay the bills, so videos happen regardless.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

You would be if you'd just buy a modmat!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I saw the tweet but I mean that he wants it to happen

It's the fantasy of everyone who buys a gun "to protect themself".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The couple phone people videos I've seen seem a lot more youtube-y than the non-phone tech channels, even 'made a wildly successful career out of youtube' Linus.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

surprised he's not packing heat for his jog

Probably concealed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

In terms of other keyboard playing retro computer youtubers, I've recently started watching Tech Tangents, a nice sub 100k channel who has some interesting stuff / makes good background noise in COVID times. Would have a great voice for a greybeard. Haven't looked at his social media so objectionableness is unknown.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I dunno about Der8auer, but Linus's crew's takeaway was 'this is stupid, but effective', so it was still in the spirit of the joke.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I don't know how Steve doesn't go off on reddit for being dipshits.

I also don't know why Steve reads reddit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

wargames posted:

ifixit kits are legit amazing though.

Quoting for truth.

After using one I believe all the youtubers who say "I'm not sponsored, they're just great", since they are just great.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

Does the iFixit stuff have some genuine weight to them? As in it feels like a quality product? How are the bits? Any stripping, deformation etc. ?

Every time I use my iFixit screwdriver I unironically find myself thinking "what a quality product, I'm so glad I bought this". It's a solid metal handle, feels well constructed. The bits haven't shown any sign of damage.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That was a much better response than I was expecting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Maybe EEVBlog? He's a bit too high energy for me to watch on the reg but when I'm looking for functional knowledge he seems to come up a lot. Usually I'll just see if theres a video someone has made about my specific problem and there often is, though of course quality is all over the place when dealing with youtube randos.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Also be careful around plastic parts.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

He mentioned a while back that one water bottle purchase is worth more than you can ever possibly be as just a viewer. Being that it's all things bought by the pallet/container from China (and apparently Canada-printed apparel) the margin has to be pretty nice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

By the time someone has penetrated your nerd lair far enough to see your mod mat they know exactly what you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

spunkshui posted:

1. Gpus are used for more then games.
2. If MSI is funneling cards like this they are breaking Nvidia rules. The reason we dont have any cards for $3000 at bestbuy is nvidia control.
3. The caps are not bad.

Best Buy could sell cards for $3000 all day if they wanted, MSRPs aren't enforceable.