Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Pretty good summary.

You like following garbage Youtubers (Gamers Nexus excluded) is the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're not great quality, but it's everything you need in one set that's affordable.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Every loving GPU crashes at launch jesus christ. I guarantee you whatever GPU AMD is launching is going to crash more than the 3080, and it will take far longer to fix.

Funnily enough, my 2080 Super started crashing as well with the latest release driver (the new hotfix driver available via their support site fixes it).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really like my Meshify: Very easy to vacuum the front dust filter while I'm at it. And it's quiet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Learning about their channel being a money laundering scheme would be getting the most enjoyment out of the channel possible, considering how bad and clickbaity the videos are.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a stupid YouTube setup, no one is ever going to replicate these meme builds. There's no need to scrutinize it heavily.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at Jayz being an internet tough guy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not shutting off the water was a pretty easy mistake to avoid, I'd say.

the corona quid posted:

Shut off the water and empty the pipes. Its common knowledge up here in Canada and I'm pretty sure a literal 2 minute search online will yield you the same advice. I'm not sure in what world leaving a house with no power where the heater is electric unmonitored during a freezing event would be considered a good idea to begin with tbh. especially given he lives right next to his parents.

Gas furnaces need electricity as well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

For what reason, anyway? Seems easier to steal fuel than lug a shitload of solar panels around to recharge your EV.

With plugin-in hybrids, you have both. Solar charging & being able to operate the car using gasoline. Certainly makes sense from a prepper perspective. And useful in day-to-day operation.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Guys going eewwwww gross! like giant babies at the most mild dirt (linus's dusty server, steve and weird waterblock goo) is for some reason really irritating to me. Man up nerds, get your hands dirty.

Steve I don't even understand why he couldn't bear to touch some weird slime. Dude must change chains and brakes on his bikes, he can't be a complete stranger to dirt and grease.

These types of reactions probably play better to the Youtube audience.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is getting Covid good for losing weight?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure he said in that video that he's a bit of a prepper.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

What do you mean by this? It still seems like everyone has a smartphone and new iPhones get jumped on.

People care less about what features new phones have and upgrade less often was the point, I assume because they're more mature technology these days.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quite a few tech Youtubers and Twitch streamers I follow with Covid recently, almost like it's spreading

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The real suckers are the people watching this trash.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

spunkshui posted:

“Stay tuned SOON for more Verified Actual Gamer drops

Sorry, we are currently out of stock.”

The quiz was to know the last two digits of the Konami code and if you put “Konami code” into Google the answer is immediately obvious.

I don’t see any indication that he was blocking people from buying multiple cards from him.

I’m not sure this counts as helping, linus

The Konami code isn't even something PC gamers would know about, I only ever came into contact with it through the internet. Ask which accent that one barkeeper in Deus Ex had, IMO.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Dean Takahashi is way different because he isn't really harming anyone by writing videogame reviews. OTOH the fact that he sucks at them, and has a documented history of loving up factual information about the games in his reviews, is relevant information to the quality/applicability of his take. It's unfortunate for him that the Cuphead thing happened during gamergate and 4chan shitheads were looking for games journalists to harass, even guys they'd never heard of who writes reviews for a financial biz website. OTOH the opinion that Dean Takahashi is bad at games and his reviews are poor does not make someone the devil.

I bought Dean Takahashi's two Xbox books, and they're both terribly written and completely devoid of any interesting information. Dean Takahashi sucks and has consistently sucked for a long time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I remember when even the good PC cases had razor sharp edges that would cut you bad if you were caught unawares.

Yeah, I miss the good old days. And those super loud Delta fans!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, Bitcorn.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

You can build good PCs that last for a long time even for gaming pretty cheap these days, it's absolutely not a "rich kid hobby". But hardware cycles used to be way faster back in the day.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Time to sell Linus Tech Tips official Talcum powder, ideal against sweaty hands!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
LTT is pretty grating in general.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Different mainboards use different default power limit settings, the only way to have a reasonable comparison between CPUs is to use Intel's (or AMD's) recommendations. Otherwise you're benchmarking some manufacturer's Bios defaults.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

And? I know a very experienced surgeon who now teaches at a pretty good school. She doesn't go by doctor because that's not her principal occupation anymore. I know another woman who is a neuroscience lead researcher and a professor at one of the world's most reputable universities. She doesn't go by doctor either. Only total dinks try to be called "doctor" outside of a medical context, because it's loving irrelevant.

Who gives a gently caress, imagine getting this angry about people using the titles they earned.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reasonable centrist position: Don't watch LTT.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

I guess maybe, but then your average consumer isn't taking apart their PC and installing new hard drives. Enthusiasts get itchy about this kind of thing but your average consumer works on the rule of thumb that bigger number = better. That does create some confusion in the case of say, cameras, where the yardstick of more megapixels = better doesn't necessarily hold true or TVs where not all 4K panels are created equal, but the people who will actually appreciate/notice the difference are likely already clued up on it anyway.

It's like when people get irrationally angry about my choosing Bose headphones. Ok, so they're not as good as an alternative, but I'm not playing lossless music over bluetooth and I'm partially deaf so it's lost on me.

Those aren't comparable at all. People buy computers or external drives and then wonder why Windows doesn't show the "full" capacity that is printed on the box. We even had a goon that got all indignant about it and didn't want to believe in the 1000/1024 bytes mathematical difference a few years back.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 24, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
double post

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 22, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does that have to do with anything? When you go to a pool or beach, it's an expectation to see that stuff to some regard. If you go to a (previously) gaming focused presumably kid-friendly streaming site, that's less so. As prudish as that may sound, personally I don't even mind. Until I think of my 8 year old niece and the new role models she'll be running into when she tries to navigate to Twitch to watch someone play Minecraft.

--edit: To be fair, in that context and relation, I'd probably prefer some bikini girl riding some dumbass plastic flamingo over the new shtick of prominently featuring a butt in tight yoga pants into the camera and slobbering wet over some silicone ears. Former seems a saner picture for a kid to run into.

Twitch isn't and has never been a "kid-friendly streaming site". And I'd be more worried about your 8 year old niece having nightmares from seeing some axe-murder game on Twitch, her potentially seeing a woman in a bikini (or "that stuff", as you would put it) is completely normal and not all that worrying.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those were always unbelievable.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not unbelievable when nvidia was openly posting job listings to work on DLSS for "gaming consoles" lmao (they only build SoCs for one console).

I believe the rumors were true but Nintendo backed down due to the current chip production situation. They decided they couldn't build enough of the switch pros, nor could they reach a price point they were happy with, and decided to only go with the OLED screen.

It was an entirely unbelievable rumor given the current limitations of the technology in terms of resolution and its silicon budget.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 6, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Okay but a gas range is objectively better than resistive heating elements, I'd count that as a win regardless of why he got there

Induction stoves are the best of both worlds: Easy to clean, and quick temperature response. And electric ovens are always superior.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Windows Game Bar is also good if you need an FPS meter.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He died for our sins

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's the reason tons of Youtube channels consist of nothing but frequent (fake) drama videos.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Computer Engineering isn't a specialized form of Electrical Engineering at all, what the hell. More applied mathematics.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My brain replaced the word "engineering" with "science", so my bad

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The IO shield also makes plugging things in blindly easier. Just make it the first thing you put into your PC, then you're golden. Really not hard. Spending extra on a mobo that doesn't have an IO shield seems like a waste.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But not with the case, I assume.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does it snap into the case like a regular IO shield? Otherwise, that doesn't seem possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say he's in media, so rich and a bro, but very much not in tech.