Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mewse posted:

Imagine having him as a boss

Whenever they're vlogging their office for some project and they go into the editor den to announce they're doing something, none of the staff seem happy. Hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I don't have a link but Steve mentioned on one video I remember that he he chose the name for the site 'very early' and basically regrets it now

He should really just buy a new domain, rebrand, and have the old domain redirect to the new one. He can change the name of the youtube channel too. This stuff isn't written in stone

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like Jay, he seems like a decent person. In his most recent video he made a build for a friend who's a special ed teacher.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arivia posted:

Steve reviews the cutest card there is: https://youtu.be/fGGKaX1D9Zo

Oh my god it's adorable

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's the first LTT video I actively avoided. Like normally if it's a dumb concept I'll at least keep it as background noise in case something dumb/interesting happens. But this was a misstep

Wait what the gently caress

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rudager posted:

Watched the first couple of minutes and I honestly don't know if he's being sarcastic or not when he literally goes "So Eaton said we have to have a bunch of clearance behind the UPS for airflow I guess so I knocked out a wall and made this space behind it, which is great cause now I can store all this poo poo in there!" and also still having 3" thick sound deadening still there where the wall was.

It looks like the sound material is gone by the end of the video and he only stores a little stuff so maybe someone explained this to him by the point

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

lmaoooooo

e: this reminds me that way, way, way back long ago in some video Linus unironically used the word "feminazi". For the life of me I can't remember what video it was

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 4, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Some Goon posted:

You would be if you'd just buy a modmat!

I bought their poster that's a metro-style map of the x570 chipsets I/o lanes, and their toolkit. Figured I should support Steve's hairstyle

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

What kind of name is Linus anyways?

It's a Canadian name!!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yes, because the purpose of his channel is not to provide useful information - it is to entertain. If you want to be advertised to while being entertained, watch MKBHD. If you want useful information, watch Steve.

But what's entertaining about a video that's entirely advertising the phone? And passed off as some sort of meaningful review, even. It's bizarre

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if he'd bought the ifixit kit linus always shills he'd have had the right bits

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Merch has always been everything in the creative scene. If you ever wanted to actually support a band buying their CD is cool and all but going to their gig and buying their shirts is way better. It's not surprising that Youtube creators have discovered the same.

Yeah that's why I bought a few things from the GN store. Steve's hair product won't pay for itself

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Electroboom must be blessed by God himself, because he should be dead by now

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I was right. He does have divine protection

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Always touch anything that could possibly be live with the back of your hand so that if you muscle spasm you won't grab it tighter

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

redeyes posted:

When working on tube amps(guitar kinds) generally you only probe with one hand and leave the other behind your back. The tubes can get 400-500v going on.

Yeah while wearing rubber soled shoes too. You want as much resistance between you and the ground as you can get

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tech youtubers should talk like obama

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Source your quotes

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mA posted:

It's great that Linus (who is arguably the most shilly of techtubers) feels the need to declare that he's" not an anticapitalist activist" in his pro Right to Repair video to reassure the chud section of his fanbase.

bourgeois liberals and chuds are not the same thing

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Somehow I feel like kids shouldn't be navigating any websites unsupervised. At least until they're 13-14.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The internet was a mistake

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Linus's grandpa died. :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure who is the target market for that pc. If you are a tech-illiterate grandparent buying a gift for a grandkid, why pay nearly two grand when a $500 console appears to do the exact same task?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't bitwit asian himself? Seems odd to call his act racist

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnJNN-Yg36E&t=150s

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

fcc compliant bob posted:

Linus is good to his audience but he treats his employees like poo poo on camera

I feel like it's played up for humor. They do sass him back a lot

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The framework laptop is cool. The inside is totally user-serviceable, even has QR codes so that a normie could look up how to do it. Every laptop oughta be like that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Did Linus say LTT wouldn't review laptops, or that he wouldn't review laptops?

He said he personally would not and that he would recuse himself from the entire process

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheCoach posted:

Can people please stop flipping back and forth from extreme to extreme and inventing positions no one holds?

Also no one is wrong or bad for wanting a modular phone or a modular laptop or to tinker with stuff you deem "unusual" to tinker with. This attitude of shaming people for wanting to mess with stuff is super weird and the way it slowly crept in from being nonsense into being consensus is loving creepy.

Not empty quoting

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Grumbles posted:

^^ we posted at the same time but yes obviously I'm not talking about returning a PS5 but replacing it with a load of bricks in the box first, and I don't think that other poster was either. I think it was more like people trying to RMA the xbox where their kid filled the DVD drive with cream cheese, to which my response is hell yeah RMA it see what happens. But also yeah like if you're gonna fill your car glove box with a million free pencils from ikea then absolutely go for it.

When I worked in bars we'd give out so many free drinks to all our friends because we knew that unsold wet stock would eventually go bad and be thrown out and the cost of all that was priced in, and because we knew the owners were raking it in anyway. This is technically theft, but is also actually a perk of the job.

What I'm saying is it's pretty obvious whether or not it's kosher to steal office supplies (so to speak) from a company depending on the company and product. The online retailers currently selling GPUs for way over MSRP as fast as they can stock them are probably okay to steal office supplies from.

Apropos nothing, the last place I worked had surprisingly crappy office supplies. Despite being BIGTECHCOMPANY they pretty much just had those disposable bic pens in the supply closet and lovely notebooks. I started the new job during covid so I haven't seen the office yet but hopefully they have some good poo poo. At least real pens...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's almost as if in giveaways, just like gambling, the house always wins. :thunkher:

this has to be illegal though right? gambling is extremely regulated, and i thought giveaways are the same way

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39QPDTDdXU

There's also some video floating around where he pronounces it the Americanized way, probably because the Linux Foundation is incorporated as a 501c6 in the US (ie. a board/chamber of commerce, where corporations pay to enter), and as such has a trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Would be extremely funny if he got a job at GN

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arivia posted:

In today's hardware news, Steve is saying they really enjoyed the Newegg RMA story, have learned a lot more about Artesian Builds, and will be doing a follow up along the same lines; they want to do more occasional journalism (his word) pieces like this every few months.

If it was anyone else I would be concerned, but instead I'm just excited? glad?

It's about drat time someone did that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Klyith posted:

I think that trying to judge whether LTT is a fun or lovely (or both!) place to work based on the youtube videos is like trying to judge whether a movie set was a fun or lovely environment based on watching the movie.

I said the same earlier itt and someone replied that they also have an external HR firm, which might be the place an employee with a HR problem would go.

Employees with HR problems never get a good outcome even in large companies so I doubt it actually makes much of a difference. HR exists to protect the employer not the employee

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SlowBloke posted:

If the previous owner didn't include the safety equipment in the sale contract, that's on Linus not reading the fine print. Commercial sales contracts usually include just the building and little else.

Yeah but what's "the building"? Perhaps Linus could reasonably assume the building includes things like railings. He should probably take it to a lawyer before talking about it publicly though...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it an internal frame backpack or something? I think 250 is around what I paid for my backpacking pack at REI

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did TechLinked used to have a pre-LMG life or something? I was looking at powered USB hubs on Amazon and noticed a video on this listing featuring a familiar host wearing a t-shirt with a familiar logo, and I'm wondering how on earth this came to be. edit: Jono is there too! Does LMG do instructional/promotional tech videos for hire or something?

yeah they do promos and other contract videos

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The conversation reminds me of this older toaster review:

https://youtu.be/hv7jvyslRek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

I got the impression that these premium costed tools from LTT are aimed at people who have never bought or considered spending a large amount of money on something like this and thus have no frame of reference and have never done any research on what a premium version from a company that regularly manufactures these items would actually cost.

Probably. Most people who would need an expensive backpack have already bought it. E.g. when I went backpacking, I bought a good backpack for that. This is like those 30-minute commercials: convincing you that a gimmick product will change your life when before the commercial you didn't see any need for it.