Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's clearly a very good graphics card, so it just comes down to price and availability, and it's not a winner on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

adding a 180W GPU to a battery powered car

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Why does this keep happening to Hardware Unboxed? Is it just that by being in Australia they end up dealing with Asian-Market reps that are used to a whole different press dynamic than a US/Euro based PR flack would be? Or is there something else going on here?

Or maybe it happens to everyone but only GN and HUB regularly make name & shame videos about it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

After half a day, HUB's video about this already has several times more views than a review of a random LG monitor would get in a month

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just looking at techpowerup's specs, 128bit LPDDR4X gives the DG1 roughly 4x the memory bandwidth of the DDR4 1030 and 1.4x the bandwidth of the GDDR5 1030, so I doubt it's a problem with such a low-end GPU. They're going to need GDDR6 for the higher end models to be competitive with anything, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's like two April 1sts in one year

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

Their older offerings used to always come with some sort of closed loop CPU cooler so seeing a stock one for a system built in 2021 is hilarious.

A stock AMD heatsink would be a significant improvement over that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's a great demonstration of what happens when someone does zero research before spending a lot of money with a company whose support does nothing at all to help with that situation. When customer and store both do everything wrong

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

64bit_Dophins posted:

Really? Is there some kind of 'me too' sort of stuff going on here?

I've never been able to watch the guy because he looks like a sludge monster and has the posture of a turtle, but he certainly looks like the kind of guy that would be a sex offender registry so nothing would really surprise me.

As far as I know, he's only an offender to common sense

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One of the models in question was reviewed by TechPowerUp last December- and it exploded on them. Their article has some good photos of the inside of the thing:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750-w/

Their conclusion after tearing it down and examining it is that the design is clean and the build quality is high- but the key components that failed were rock-bottom crap with some of the capacitors not even identifying their manufacturer. And that component selection is on Gigabyte.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Linus roughing up a review sample is expected and normal

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's extremely funny because you can see that he realizes immediately that he should have taken his shoes off before jumping on his desk, but he's committed at that point

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My dad still has one of those

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Charles posted:

Have they reviewed a modern Dell workstation / business PC? The Vostro was a workstation build. Or compare it to a consumer build from that era? I seem to recall having a BTX Dell from slightly before that era and liking it but my memory isn't super sharp on that.

That Vostro is 100% identical to the cheap rear end Inspiron 530 sold at the same time (except color, black vs white).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just have too much experience with those particular models of shitbox Dell.

Trivia: the Inspiron 530 / Vostro 400 that came with a Core 2 Duo cannot be upgraded to a Core 2 Quad (like the one Steve had) because their motherboard physically lacks a VRM phase the quad needs (the mobos are otherwise identical). So don't think for a moment that Dell was ever not cheap.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

JuffoWup posted:

Pretty hilarious/sad that card is in there when even the ryzen 4000 series apu chips would be an upgrade.

A Zen+ R5 3400G would have significantly more GPU power. I daresay a 2200G would probably have more GPU power.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kerbtree posted:

Also that LTT do vidya stuff for other people.

Yeah LTT is a division of Linus Media Group and LMG runs a for-hire editing shop in the television land of Vancouver.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Linus just gets more content when it fails again

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm surprised Steve didn't mention the most blatantly scammy part: The return processor responsible for checking the product after Steve returned it must have seen the RMA sticker but decided to ignore it and blame Steve for the damage anyway. There is no charitable interpretation of this. It's just an outright malicious scam. I would not be surprised if Newegg had internal quotas where x number of returns must be denied just to save on those costs. Or perhaps more likely, certain department managers are punished if they exceed x number of returns, thus incentivizing the denial of returns.

It's also possible Newegg didn't even open it before denying the return. That might be even worse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

That motherboard box was opened by a human being who has never interacted with a motherboard box before Jesus Christ

Probably the original first buyer (though I wouldn't put it past Newegg to ruin a box at this point) considering that buyer is probably the one who damaged the socket (something I have never done in 20 years of PC building). That poor motherboard never had a chance in life, it's sad to see.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Those "insider emails" he's gotten must be pretty dire.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also telling that 19 yr dude was in role 6 months.

Nothing will change until this hits their expected revenue next quarter.

Steve put up a poll asking if people wanted him to audit Newegg's return policies every 3, 6, or 12 months, so you can expect to see Beve Sturke with a broken open box motherboard in the near future

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The difference in RAM speed there is measurable with benchmarks but not something you'd ever notice (unless you are stuck gaming on a igp)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve has said he's planning to periodically audit Newegg's return policies. He knows how to use family and friends to do that stuff anonymously so those should be good reports. Showing up at their door with a camera was just good old fashioned 6 o'clock news stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

In one of the more recent LGR videos Clint ran into that guy at Computer Reset and did a quick gig about him cutting into an antique IBM that was pretty funny. But gently caress that guy lol

That story at least has a happy ending as someone who knows what they're doing got ahold of that poor old IBM executive PC and fixed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah9Rh1xxWn0

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assumed a lot of companies just copied the shade IBM used.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The color scheme of my high school which had probably been last renovated in the 70s (before I went there in the late 90s). Same flooring for sure.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My dad had a very low end Acer laptop (with a Sempron CPU) but it obviously used the same case as that, without the red accents, and to this day it's the crappiest computer in terms of build quality that I have ever touched.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every time Linus is on camera I’m really struck by how absolutely microscopic his hands are.

the mystery of why he drops things is solved

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think he was more upset by the added time it will take to fix the place up than by the cost, though of course time is money. But he gets content out of it either way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PLATITUM

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Research? Before spending $10,000 on light switches?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don't be an audiophile is my advice

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is the bigger problem with the title:

Rinkles posted:

The title didn't even make sense

It's not just clickbaity, it's nonsense

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's going to be funny when Linus's testing lab encounters a company with poo poo warranty service and he has to call them out on it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I usually use a PC case for at least two, sometimes three PCs over its lifetime. I got a full decade out an Antec P150

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That computer is far more representative of the average gamer PC I've seen than any clean cable managed RGB bragging rights beast

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I do not buy cases with windows. If the back side panel goes on, the cables are managed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gordon's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

is nvidia doing anything new or different from what they've done before