Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Are there any good video games journalism channels? I'm a big fan of Aneeta Sarkeesian and would like to load up on more woke YouTube channels like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bit-tech are cool for the more 'out there' stuff. They came about from the death of an old media magazine called CustomPC here in the UK which was my loving bible as a kid growing up. They do an awful lot of cool instructional videos that go right into the details of daunting poo poo like hardline watercooling and have a very active community of people who do some really awesome looking custom builds. Growing up reading this and seeing stuff like the old Asetek phase change coolers or the totally passive Zalman water-cooling rigs was what made me blow my first serious bonus cheque on an insane custom loop inside a Corsair 900D.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGxtYMx16kD7jK0RKSxsVrw

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Holy poo poo that dudes moustache just got a sub out of me!

https://www.ncix.com/detail/zalman-reserator-1-external-fanless-5a-11765.htm

15 year old me used to covet this loving thing thinking I'd one day be able to snap it on to my Athlon64 3400+ and overclock to 4GHz silently.

Instead, 24 year old me ended up dumping like £1000 on a 900D and a sick af EK-based custom loop. I cooled the 2500k on a 240mm rad and the 2 7970s on 2 360mm rads.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToLiveCustoms

OC3D is pretty good too. "Tiny" Tom Logan is usually pretty thorough in his reviews which mean they're useful for making buying decisions.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The Salvador Dali of custom motherboard trays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3U9qlqYICs

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

I want to custom those little moustache tips off. God

I love how you can tell how recently the video was uploaded by how shiny his forehead is and how the UK is in a heatwave right now.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

This is true. It is an EXCEEDINGLY British video.

He is very proper. My brother is a contractor just starting out and is insanely jealous (as am I) of his ridiculously kitted out shed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a good Linus video where he tours around iJustine's house/mansion and he finds that her data backup solution is just a shitload of external hard drives and none of it is organized. He builds her some NAS thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thc9iLZf0HQ

Here's a video of him trying even harder to gently caress her.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I don't think LGR has been mentioned yet, but this one is weirdly cathartic and got me scouring eBay to rebuild my first ever PC. A 500Mhz P3 Coppermine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8qDk-MBkcg

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
In the spirit of my boy Wirth1000 and shitposting, YouTube recommended me this untapped vein of nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy07b6hlUGg

Which then prompted me straight on to the anime protagonist (Wirth1000 you motherfucker) telling me how to get high as poo poo (lol) on Immodium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLsJ8xtuGU

Namaste.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=946Z8XzSALY

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

etalian posted:

Steve Jobs wept

I'm Conrad and I'm wearing a Sriracha shirt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sure

Replace "about CPUs" with "about anything technical" and that's the reason most of us just dislike him. most people link high subscriber numbers on a tech-related channel the qualities of also being trusted and knowledable content and ... That's frightening.

Yeah but equally if you have a fair idea of what you're talking about you know to at least take specific outlets with a pinch of salt or rely solely on the more enthusiast oriented content like anandtech (used to be?).

Like hell would I take car buying advice from Doug DeMuro or *shudders* Hoovie's Garage, they're he automotive equivalents of Linus and Rossman imo.

I think of Linus as entertainment on tech. If he shows something cool, I'd certainly research it further from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
'Giant controversy'

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

cage-free egghead posted:

I love LGR and I think he needs more subscribers. Lots of 90's nostalgia and he's got a great voice that doesn't drawl or screech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSIT18bOvg

Also just randomly came across the New Screen Savers which I had no idea existed and omg they did a birthday video with a few old cast members from the old show.

Clint is great, his tech tales videos own.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ArgaWarga posted:

I like Paul's Hardware :goleft:

Hell, same.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Craptacular! posted:

I wish people building machines talked about why they use the parts they used. Watching Jay and some Mac guy build a PC for video editing work is fine, but they’re putting a 1080ti in there and it’s not even clear whether they need it for that job or that the building newbie is aware of how overkill it is (they don’t, as evidenced by mounting it vertically against tempered glass to choke for air.)

Edit:Apparently it was free from EVGA so that’s why. Wish he had said that up front at the start.

I always assume the safest bet for their hardware choices are the centre of the venn diagram of 'who is sponsoring,' 'what freebies we have lying around,' and 'what is totally loving overkill because we can.'

I get it when it comes to rando benchmarking vids where they want to eliminate any possible bottlenecks to get an idea of the true, unconstrained performance of a part in isolation, but most of the time it's the nerd equivalent of making it rain.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
LGR's terrible food videos seem like amazing GWS troll material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPmHwkdIpU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
YESSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadWhAGTAbE

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
More than one poster ITT is jonesing for a LGR food fix

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Clint needs to give the people more of what they want: LGR Foods.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's the gratuitous flamethrowered cheese and bread combos with a side of chips.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
How will ars ever find somebody else to copy and paste Windows patch notes into articles? :ohdear:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Does anyone watch Louis Rossman stuff on the regular? I randomly come across him from time to time and, I dunno, I understand what he's getting at with the whole right to repair stuff but his poo poo is along the same lines as that insane Scottish guy who considers nVidia to be ISIS' GPU department. Louis Rossman's.. intensity? paranoia? just comes off like he considers Apple to be literal war criminals.

Just yesterday I upgraded the HDD, ODD, battery and RAM in a friend's late 2011 Macbook Pro. Apple's current policy of 'solder all the things' is egregious as gently caress and that's ignoring the fact that their lovely keyboards failing constitute replacing like 50% of the laptop by volume.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also on Linus' Apple hatred, I kinda thought he was a whiny bitch in his Mac Pro repair until I learned that Apple was out right refusing to even allow him to pay to repair the computer. What if a car BMW dealerships treated customers like poo poo this way? You broke your car's seat? gently caress you, buy a new car. You need new tires? gently caress you, buy a new car. Your car needs an oil change? Just change your whole car instead.

TLDR, I am occasionally jealous of (older) Mac hardware but I absolutely loath everything about the ignorant Mac users who just assume their piece of poo poo is compatible with everything

That is exactly how a lot of car dealerships would operate. I've read stories of engines going pop within warranty periods which for one reason or another the manufacturer has refused to cover. I know Audi have an internal database of vehicles on which they blacklist cars which have been modified in a way that they believe could affect the car's reliability and I'm fairly confident it is standard practice that warranties will expressly state the conditions for keeping the warranty valid, such as servicing requirements and generally not loving around with the vehicle.

In that situation, Linus didn't break a seat, need tyres or oil, he took the car apart and then did pikachu shocked face when broadcasting him voiding his warranty to his YouTube channel bit him in the rear end.

None of this is in defence of Apple, mind. But I work on the basis that the whole saga was a net win for Linus in terms of additional views and 15 minutes of fame in the wider world as the guy who broke a $5k+ Mac in the most Linus of ways. If nothing else it was a mildly entertaining PSA to other Mac owners not to take their new computers apart less ye be excommunicated from the Church of Cupertino.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I for one am shocked that Linus tone deaf on this issue.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

It would appear that Austin Evans' staffer/editor, the Ken guy, exclusively wears anime girl t-shirts.

Hell, same.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I ended up on one of this guy's videos as I was looking up how to repair a wireless receiver and... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmksRxbWWo

Unrelated to tech, but I checked out that Funky Munky Wrassling thing and it's quite something.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Was Linus really good back in the day? I’m having a hard time figuring out how he managed to garner 9 mil subs on the type of content he peddles.

I think he was around 7 or 8 mil when I started watching.

It was alright before it became a parody of itself. They hit a purple patch a couple of years back when they did some cool feature-length build videos like the PC in a desk and a couple of way OTT water cooled builds, whereas if you look at their latest one for a Hackintosh, most of the video is Linus tearing apart a Power Mac G5 chassis like an enraged chimp.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EVIL Gibson posted:

you mean when linus replaced everyone's water cooling with thick algae ? cool cool

I was thinking more along the lines of the rainbow unicorn rgb puke build and that warercooled build in that chassis that looks like a boiler, rather than that water cooled room which Luke's Dad, a plumber, said was the dumbest poo poo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

priznat posted:

Was that the one with sweating copper pipes everywhere?

That and jury rigging a load of radiators together and putting them on the roof.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

That's Anthony and quite frankly he seems way out of place on LTT. He seems to do things properly and meticulously.

LTT is all about grabbing componetns like they're literally on fire throwing them around and not bothering to read any sort of manuals or instructions and completely wing it because ENTERTAINMENT and NO TIME.

There is nothiing more frustrating than watching a vid when you realize the person seems loss and clueless because the very idea of reading even some Quick Start guide is considered not part of their brand.

Actually, maybe that's why Anthony always gets a ton of praise in the comments and such whenever they do a bit with him. People actually start enjoying the content instead of getting frustrated at the high pitched voiced guy who NEVER STOPS YELLING BECAUSE THIS IS EFFECTIVE VOICEWORK IN FILMING RIGHT? getting confused cause he didn't want to read whatever before they started turning the cameras on.

I love your Fat Anthony meltdowns.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Fat Anthony is actually really good. He just doesn't belong at LTT because LTT is a loving hack clown outfit.

I'm not disagreeing that Fat Tony is in fact cool and good, but I do love when you get animated about him.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr.Radar posted:

The most important technology video of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRk1F1fhVB8

Holy gently caress yes, it's my early birthday present

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah. I feel like it wasn't always this bad, but now, if I want semi-boring PC videos that might teach me something, I just watch Paul. Sure, he looks like Colin Meloy's little brother and his speaking style is pretty ramble-y, but I never get the urge to say "just show me that paper you're reading off and I'll be good, thanks." I appreciate Steve's asides (the ones in the Stadia video were the best part), but generally not enough to soldier through the rest of the monotone stuff.

I can't fathom the brain that would choose Paul's Hardware over the education afforded by Clint over at LGR.

I mean, admittedly it's useless information from 20 years ago, but hot drat if he doesn't have the most soothing voice.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
If you don't mind his particular niche of vanilla World of Warcraft retrospectives and WoW Classic, madseasonshow also has a voice I can best describe as "Bovril for your ears," as in you'll either love it or hate it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This is therapeutic as hell, it's like the anti-Linus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIO_Q8mk_o

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Klyith posted:

distro plate bullshit is the apex of "look at all the money I spent" form over function. it is frivolous haute couture for nerds who probably sneer at someone with a louis vuitton or gucci handbag.

like, LTT spending a bunch of money on a machining shop to watercool a red camera is dumb as hell, but at least it's a challenge. the guy with the ridiculous handlebar mustache bought a CNC mill to make a needlessly complicated and expensive water bottle.

He's done a few vids for custom case panels, a keyboard and some other bits and bobs with the CNC mill, so I'm not sure that's really a fair assessment.

e: lol the last instalment of that shitshow just dropped on youtube. Tell me more about expensive waterbottles.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EVIL Gibson posted:

look up the story of Toy Story 2 and how it was almost entirely destroyed because of an errant 'rm' because that is def way worse

only saved because a woman on maternal leave had a SGI machine with all the models and animations which had way more resources they had after the delete. The part where they strap down the machine in the backseat of a car is awesome

This is one of my favourite anecdotes from Ed Catmull's book, it's just so perfectly captures the mid-2000s 'what is technology?' zeitgeist where nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing.

Also I think I am falling in love with Riley on LTT. He's the perfect replacement for Linus after his QQ 'I'm going to retire, but not' shitshow.