Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Add to OP, plz:

Speaking as an American, we see Canadians as either two types, the bearded burly lumberjack/Ice Road Trucker type, or the Linus dweeb type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I really enjoyed LTT Scrapyard Wars. They used to do two per year but they haven't done any since summer 2018.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

hot

wait I mean gross

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Linus has to constantly hit the button on his hip to load the next page of his script and it's very distracting.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That would be a pretty good deal if you could buy one at a time.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's funny watching the two reviews of the Zalman R1 case, from Gamers Nexus and Linus.

Linus's videos haven't changed in five years (good production but quick and little useful detail) whereas Steve looked like he was a kid doing the show in his mom's basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHhudWafUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYuphCFbC8

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Some people collect Jordans but Linus spends shitloads on his socks and sandals collection.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

"In the summer I *have* to carry little pistols like this"

snakes and such

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Excellent understanding of Canadian law regarding selling shirts ITT

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Actual photo of Canadian Dweeb Abraham Lincoln being shot by Canadian Dweeb John Wilkes Booth (not pictured)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

"I'm face down rear end up do as you will"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

What level of electrical shock is dangerous to your heart? At what point would you experience arrhythmia?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So basically there's no such thing as a great chair, even if you spend $1200.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The videos that don't consist entirely of a procession of interchangeable charts and graphs are fine.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Does Linus have sweaty hands or what?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Rich the ReviewTech guy had a disagreement with Pat Contri over Diablo Immortal of all things two and a half years ago and still randomly poo poo-talks Pat about it. He's a creep but I guess stirring up drama gets more clicks.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

The people behind fraps must be sweatin

They already disappeared eight years ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe it's still like this (lol if anyone still uses it), but for a long time Fraps couldn't record anything but raw, uncompressed video data. So you'd end up with like 10GB of video on your 80GB hard drive after recording for 20 minutes at 800x600.

Fraps used its own codec (FPS1) so it wasn't as bad as uncompressed RGB video but yes the file sizes were still huge. The overhead to compress video on the fly to anything smaller would compromise the game or whatever you were trying to record back in 2005.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cucumber on a sandwich?

Go back to England.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I've had a Gigabyte motherboard and two GPUs die on me years ago. I think one was DOA from Newegg so luckily I got a replacement.

The only Gigabyte thing I've bought since is a mouse, and so far it hasn't burned my house down, but I don't trust anything from them that costs more than $30.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Ben has been on the downslide for awhile. He's tweeted things comparing vaccine cards to the Nazis, a conspiracy that Andrew Cuomo is only being forced out because he criticized COVID rules, etc. It's extra disturbing when an otherwise smart person goes down that rabbit hole. I almost understand it when a person has little education and grew up in a deep red state surrounded by homophobia and xenophobia that they're willing to believe any conspiracy about "the libs," but Ben used to seem so reasonable.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

That isn't quite the worst thing to know about the 8 Bit Guy

https://twitter.com/RealTimeKodi/status/1309886976837980161?s=19

Hey, when you have a body like a melted candle you have to find something to make you feel like a man. Bald dork with bad posture buying fast food while open-carrying is the new midlife crisis sports car.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Remember when Hasan Piker said America deserved 9/11 and got fired from The Young Turks?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

well why not posted:

you can get fired for being correct?

let us know how you manage to be so edgy and cool

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Previa_fun posted:

and every business/retailer has a certain amount of shrinkage they already account for.

I was in the pool!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Changing the channel during a commercial break is literally stealing from the TV station. You're pirating the show by watching it.

Visit LTTstore.com to learn more.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Remember the tape drive Linus hyped in 2018 for backing up data? I guess they never actually used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxqpbSZorA

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

At this point LTT would have been better off buying a few M-DISC burners and 100GB media to back up data rather than dozens of cheap unreliable Seagate hard drives.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I was wondering when this would appear. They filmed it on January 6th but must have waited to get all of Newegg's excuses responses out of the way before finishing the video.

I had Newegg send me a used, open, dead video card once. I ordered a new card, not open box or anything, and it shipped from Newegg itself, not a third party. I don't know how they screwed that up. It must have been a return from another customer and Newegg put it back in the rotation with new stock without even looking at it. Luckily they took my RMA but the turn around time to get a replacement was still two or three weeks. I've had other parts where the item box was half crushed like someone in the warehouse stepped on it and said screw it and shipped it anyway. I'd rather buy what components I can from Amazon or B&H.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

A Linus "we lost all our data" video must naturally be followed up with a "look at our NEW server (which is basically the same as the last one that failed)" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZFcrQTZ_E&t=257s

FYI they spent $36,000 on Seagate drives that they bought from a third party seller off Newegg. Any bets on how long this one lasts?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Linus is definitely a dummy who thinks his staff is qualified to do projects way above their heads and then never learns his lesson.

Seagate is a crapshoot compared to the competition, though. Some of their models had a ~6% failure rate in under ten months of use in previous BackBlaze charts, which is shocking. The highest AFR for a Seagate drive in the 2021 chart is a 14TB model at 4.8%. That should be worrying to any consumer. Yeah that might not be every model but why take a chance when there are other brands?

I do wonder why BackBlaze rarely uses WD models, since they use HGST, which is owned by WD and branded as such. Does HGST still handle its own manufacturing?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah B&H is run by NYC hasids. If you’re curious how they typically treat people and want a fun rabbit hole to dive into.

I just read a couple articles and welp, they're trash.

Amazon has dodgy business practices to say the least. Newegg isn't trustworthy. B&H is trash. I don't particularly want to give Best Buy my money. I don't have a Micro Center anywhere near me. Yay.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I've always suspected that the sweepstakes on playr.gg (I guess they're Surf Giveaways now) worked the same way. Only the entrants with the highest followers and subs on Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram would win prizes. It didn't matter how many entries you had in a given contest, if you were a low level streamer or influencer you weren't getting dick.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How does Linus Torvalds pronounce it???

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

I had the Antec version of that case, it was a beast.

I'm still using a big Antec case.

I built my PC in 2012.

Yes, I'm poor.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I expect James Bond to bust through the ceiling, tear that place up, and sexually assault seduce the token young lady staffer.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Klyith posted:

I think that trying to judge whether LTT is a fun or lovely (or both!) place to work based on the youtube videos is like trying to judge whether a movie set was a fun or lovely environment based on watching the movie.

I look forward to seeing Rust as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I don't know about you but I'm not eager to take product testing info/advice from Linus Media Group. I generally trust GamersNexus, but the way Linus and his staff throw poo poo at the wall and deliberately half-rear end things does not inspire confidence.

Yes, in theory Linus and his chuckleheads won't have their hands all over the Serious Business aspect and someone more competent will do the actual testing, but I can already predict the wave of "Linus Labs did this completely wrong" reactions.