Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

8-bit guy's videos are edited like Tim & Eric only not ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I know very little about electronics and still went "what the gently caress" when arriving at that point in the video.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The best bang for your buck PCs you can get from places like aliexpress are based on old Xeon stuff, using "new" motherboards that contain salvaged server parts. They aren't great and single thread performance kinda sucks, but there's usually enough cores to make up for it and a lot of modern games run fine on them. They're only really useful to people living in countries where getting new, value oriented PC parts is cost prohibitive, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ
ah wait wrong linus

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 14, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.
My first PC was an old 1996-era Compaq that I bought for $30 in 2000 and proceeded to scrap together the cash to upgrade every component with bargain bin used parts that made it useful for a few more years. I guess if you're using used parts it's more of a rebuild, but I don't think I've built a PC for myself that doesn't have a few components that I've already owned and used.

Before the chip shortage a popular option was buying old server-class CPUs, pairing them with dodgy "new" Aliexpress motherboards with recycled server chipsets and slapping in a mid-range video card. Or buying a refurbished Dell or HP office PC from 8 years ago and sticking a video card into that if you want to get lazy, though that probably is stretching the definition of a PC "build".

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless?color=white
gently caress cables.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The box has connections for USB audio, analog and optical that can be switched between either on the box or the headset. The headphones have BT that can be used independently (A2DP/HFP only so pretty useless for games) as well as analog audio inputs that can be used unpowered.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm never going to claim those SteelSeries headphones have top of the line audio quality, but it's good enough and they're very convenient. Being able to swap the battery out instead of charging via cable means I have never been tethered, it completely changes how you use the things.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can only mix one of the wired inputs and BT. You could probably do what you want with a cheap hardware mixer from ebay or whatever, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say laserdisc was higher quality than DVD, just VHS/Beta.

Early DVDs could look pretty bad, it took a while for MPEG2 encoders to mature. Composite video artifacts don't look quite as bad as macroblocking on a CRT. One of the notable examples was the original DVD of Blade Runner, which looked like poo poo compared to the LD; full of macroblocking and banding and iirc it wasn't even anamorphic widescreen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

We were playing Quake and Quake II at 25 fps when I was a kid and it was fine

The whole reason consumer 3D accelerators are a thing is because the Voodoo enabled playing those games specifically at higher framerates.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

30fps is tolerable under certain circumstances, but it's never better than anything higher than that. Mouselook at low framerates feels kinda lovely too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really do wish there were more weird architectures and OS’s to go along with them. PowerPC is all but dead, sparc is dead except in weird enterprise circumstances. ARM is at least different than x86 but runs all the same OS’s as x86, so it doesn’t seem very different in practice.

I follow RISC-V because of this, very adventurous.