Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

What a stupid plan (or lack thereof). What was the expected benefit of water cooling the camera anyway?

This probably isn't it, but if you do astronomical photography then cooling the sensor absolutely reduces noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Klyith posted:

That's a peltier under the noctua to cool the camera guts below ambient.

Cooling the sensor is good to reduce noise which is important for long exposures. Alternately it could be for IR photography -- IIRC you want the whole inside of the camera to be cool for that.

A related factoid I found interesting was air to air missles with IR seeker heads having a little bottle of cryogenic liquid inside to cool them down.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJwwLRJBk

Tech Jesus ranting about motherboard form factors. It's amazing.

This has probably already been done to death (I don't really follow GN much) but I wish he would get an autocue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

redeyes posted:

Go lick a telephone cord that is plugged into a live outlet. Bout 50+ Ac volts on the tounge. Make a 9v seem like nothing.

Telephone with a cord? And why would you plug it into an electrical outlet?

(Mostly kidding. Of course I have installed an illegal phone extension and been shocked from someone calling the house at the right time since there is no way to isolate the line. But since POTS is basically dead it would be hard to lick one now.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Why do console gamers need a video card? That can be the question to get a PS5 for RRP.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

Total-loss cooling is the future, y'all.

Think about the performance you could achieve using latest heat of vaporisation!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

adding a 180W GPU to a battery powered car

180W is nothing to a BEV.
Plus the idea is presumably that it gives you another "thing to do" while charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

LTT passive ground loop cooled monster PC when

Someone on OCAU was building a new house and so sunk a cooling loop into his slab.

I never saw a follow-up thread where he used it so I bet not.