Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

buglord posted:

I misclicked an old LTT video and decided "what the heck, ill let it play". Linus' voice wasn't bad at all back then. I get that youtube/twitch personalities generally have to adjust their voice to appeal to a wider audience, but today's high pitched Linus sounds awful by comparison. I want to know if he's aware of the change.

i saw him out christmas shopping the other day and he was yelling at his kids and was even higher pitched than he is on video. maybe it's like that thing where you talk differently to dogs and children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Former Human posted:

I really enjoyed LTT Scrapyard Wars. They used to do two per year but they haven't done any since summer 2018.

there's one coming soonish. they apparently take forever to edit for some reason

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Jonathan Morrison just took Linus to task over his video on Apple silicon. John pretty much kindly schooled him.

no he didn't. he compared hardware encoding on the iphone with software encoding on the imac. he pointedly didn't show hardware encoding on the imac

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

LionArcher posted:

He did after on Twitter I believe. But JM point that Linus is jumping to a conclusion that seems doubtful (its just an iPad chip and therefore is not as good or isnt worth it) still stands.

it's (structurally) almost identical to the a12z. the presumptive a14z that goes in the ipad pros will be almost identical to the m1. the only difference is probably i/o

anyways, did you watch the linus video? he goes out of his way to not jump to any conclusions. he complained about apple's vague metrics in the presentation and stressed that we need to wait for real benchmarks

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

do ltt even run youtube ads? all of their videos have sponsors

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i used to work with one of the LTT employees and still see them occaisonally. they are underpaid relative to what they could make elsewhere but also have much better work satisfaction and work expectations at LTT. they're also able to freelance as much as they want and LTT is super accomodating of it

allegedly linus was kind of a libertarian MY MONEY employer early on but people explained to him that he'd never keep employees with that kind of attitude and also he was being a dick and he got a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

well why not posted:

he at least studied engineering but its not clear if he graduates. Hes mentioned ignoring studies to learn about car suspension in the past.

No matter the qualifications, theyd never trump the level of care Friday afternoon Linus puts in.

yeah alex has pretty much said he studied engineering just to get access to the shop so he could mod his car. pretty sure he works at LTT for the same reason