Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Criss-cross posted:

If you want a piece of quality luggage, don't buy merch items, buy actually well-regarded products that stand on their own merits, instead. Some Youtuber's drop shipping store isn't going to have the best items.

To be fair, LTT Store is like the furthest thing from drop shipping as you can get. They definitely keep stock as much as they can, they usually don't even accept pre-orders and, as far I know, they only do pre-orders for the backpack because fans have been hounding them to. Plus, I'm pretty sure the orders they take are for units that are already somewhere in the manufacturing process.

Ever since they opened LTT Store I've had the feeling that it's just Linus designing things that he wants and subsidizing the cost to fans. LTT-branded boxer briefs don't make a whole lot of sense, but maybe in like 1999 he had one pair of underwear that he really liked and could never find it again so he had someone design his perfect pair and now you can buy it too! I have no doubt that his stuff is expensive because there's quite a bit of design and quality manufacturing in them, but it also means that it's at the same price point than regular mid-high grade equivalent which have a longer track record of making the same thing and, yeah, isn't branded by a tech influencer.

On the other hand, if what you really want is to give money to Linus, you could do worse than getting a very nice desk mat or water bottle in exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Arivia posted:

the backpack is $250 USD, right?

you can buy a backpack with a laptop sleeve from osprey for that money. or buy an actual hardcore camping backpack (which could comfortably hold your midtower desktop) from them for that money. both of them come with a warranty that goes something like "do you have any scrap of record that this backpack existed at some point before you had it torn to pieces by a shark? okay here's a complete replacement"

like oof linus that's a real hard price to sell in that market
Absolutely, but the way I see it, LTT Store isn't the place to buy a bag the same way a band store isn't the place to buy a shirt.

Sometimes I watch/listen to their podcast when I work out and some people pay like a hundred bucks for YouTube superchats that literally haven't done anything for almost a year now. At first I thought it was hosed up to "force" people to buy merch to have their question read on the show, but obviously people are going to throw money at the guy, so at least that ensures that they get a water bottle or desk mat in return.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Jesus dude, if you're really "working on something" take the L, admit you were wrong and shut the gently caress up.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I would expect 10th gen CPUs in the lineup of an integrator that's been around for at least 2 years and still needs to get rid of their old stock, not from a startup. Why did they even buy those?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jeff Fatwood posted:

And he definitely shouldn't have responded like he did, he's a huge moron.
My instincts tell me that twitter is where Linus is going to get the dumbest, but I'm still going to watch tomorrow's WAN live, just in case.

Edit: Oh, hey, I'm not making any sense, this is old news and I hadn't noticed.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2022

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linux tech tips

Hilarious story: Back in the day LTT would show up in my YouTube recommendations but I wouldn't watch it because I thought it said "Linux tech tips".

Edit:

kliras posted:

i also don't think people have a problem with how much money he has; if anything, he doesn't flaunt it enough like other "influencers". so we end up with the "cool boss" image instead. this also helps him wave away scandals with him being "clumsy", which is also a typical nerd excuse
He may not flash his wad like the Pauls do, but more and more of his videos went from "let's race to make a 500$ computer out of used parts from Craigslist Kijiji" to "Let's install this $40k server in my mansion". I don't think the point is necessarily to show off but it's a lot less relatable for the viewers.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 12, 2022

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

power crystals posted:

Linus showing off his literal mansion is hilarious when most of the people in the intel tech upgrade videos are living in a tiny apartment if not still living with their parents.

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What on earth is a crypto burger
It means it's laundering money.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

kliras posted:

speaking of the spectrum of shilling vs reviewing, df have always occupied a weird middle position

here's a teaser with teased % performance gains, which is also a little weird?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyGWFI1cuZQ

battaglia's analyses have always been great and unbiased, but i just don't like df's access journalism in general. not the process, but more the result

it's extra weird since dlss 3 does frame interpolation, so there's no distrinction between normal frames and constructed frames in this

I always wondered if there was something going on between DF and Microsoft/XBox because I think I remember their videos in the "PS4 Pro / One X" era often being worded funny to favour the XBox console(s), like spending 4 times as long comparing the One X with the Pro, then all but dismiss the PS4 vs One S (and the regular, pre-One-S Xbox One just disappeared) or focusing on resolution over framerate when the One X favoured the former and the Pro the latter.

Might just have been in my head, plus I don't notice it anymore in the PS5/Series era.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

I'm a Norm McDonald x Mangrate man myself.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

forest spirit posted:

the host - probably also works as a script writer for other shows on LTT, gets paid prolly 40~50k? I am cockeyed on salaries in Vancouver. Probably paid more if also an editor?

Not sure if you mean the equivalent of 40k-50k USD because 40k CAD doesn't cover much more than rent in Vancouver. Then again it would explain a lot of what we've seen on Intel Tech Upgrades.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Anthony's the saddest case but I seem to remember a lot of mom's basement and roommates.

Not to say roommates are bad or anything but I wouldn't expect someone who helped Linus become a literal millionaire to need one.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rubellavator posted:

Linus' house is basically groverhaus 2.0

I really don't think he cares, at least not at the moment, but things might get a bit awkward when he eventually sells his tech mansion and realizes that the average person doesn't care that he spent $10k for infrastructure that allows you to heat your pool with the dissipated heat of your home server rack.

"And here we have the LAN basement, I ran fiber through the walls and ceiling to a KVM that switches between here and the upstairs office"
"Oh, cool... My wife has a MacBook for work but the kids and I have iPads"

To be fair he already knows that and he's just having fun building his dream house; I'm just hoping that he fails like I hope every rich person fails and then has to squeeze every penny from his internet café home.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Branch Nvidian posted:

Which one is the video that's just like 3 hours of silence on a black screen? Bloodborne maybe?

It's only 40 minutes but he made a fake Skyrim video for April fools'... 5 YEARS AGO WHAT?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwpEzBvulA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

BurritoJustice posted:

Just don't use GHub, use the Logitech Onboard Memory Manager. It's a minimal app they made so that eSports gamers can change their mouse settings while on tournament PCs, it eschews all the flash app poo poo in favour of basic functionality.

Yeah, I really love OMM. I haven't tried all mouse software but the ones I have have all been garbage. If anything I think even GHub is kinda good compared to SteelSeries' GG or loving Glorious Core (which Windows detects as unsafe, and I tend to agree).