Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sad to say that this thread has been obsoleted on the same day it started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

priznat posted:

Took me a while to realize it, but I got there. It is confusing as hell trying to puzzle out how someone can be so consistently a complete goofball.

It's really not. He's an entertainer, if he plans things out too much and they go well, his content won't get as many views. I don't understand how people seriously think Linus is stupid. You can dislike his gimmick, but to not realize it's a gimmick is ridiculous.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Q9tPFgvp0

I loving love how them not letting Linus in the compute room is immediately proven the correct decision when he gets handsy with the door.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

Apparently they didn’t mic the audience so it’s super awkward lol

I think that makes it even better. Makes it seem like they couldn't find enough people who even know who Linus is, so they had to get an audience full of confused hobos to listen to people roast him.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Or just put a goddamn hat on for videos if you want to have disgusting hair that comes down to your eyes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There were allegations a few years back that multiple people at the top of the organization were involved in something extremely unsavory. At the time I just dismissed it as sour grapes from someone who got fired or something, but now I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's ok, techreport itself has become pretty awful since Wasson left. It's unfortunate. I hate to see it die this death because it used to be a really unique and useful site, but these days it's just a really generic tech site. When was the last time they were the first ones to hit on any bit of technical news or anything, the way Wasson used to?

Quality tech sites really tend to be driven by a single person, and once they step back from that driving role the sites never are able to stay relevant.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

LTT's newest video is amazing. Alex is an absolutely perfect complement to Linus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I think it's more that it's emblematic of Apple's DGAF about what consumers want/need attitude. The times Apple has been innovative, it's been that they were very good at predicting things users didn't know they wanted. Lately, Apple frequently seems to know what consumers would want and just not give a gently caress.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah a BMW dealer dgaf if you bring them a clearly out of warranty car. They'll still happily sell you parts and service. Apple won't because gently caress you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

RGB Confirmed Garbage

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

RIP TechPowerUp

Nothing like doing an "expose" on other people who turn around and annihilate your reputation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I wonder if PC gamers have reached the prerequisite age and wealth in sufficient numbers that I could start selling $5000 (BUT NOW ON SALE FOR $2999) boutique mousepads that will make your mouse movement BETTER!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Jay does seem like a cool guy, but his build gimmick is the single most boring thing possible in my mind. I could not care less about the aesthetics of a loving computer. I know a lot of people do care, though, so it was a smart niche to position himself in.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

He's pretty clearly admitting he's a workaholic, which is generally the case with people who find so much success at such a young age. He's known he should work less for a long time, and he's struggled to make himself do it.

I'm sure it also doesn't help that any time he considers scaling back, he probably worries that he's going to gently caress over the livelihoods of the people who work for him, who are more or less his only friends.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's extremely likely that he is in fact a pedophile, and just not stupid enough to leave concrete proof sitting around for the FBI to acquire.

It's also quite likely that that very short story is not listing the entirety of the case against him.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's a real thing and it's fairly useful, especially now. They bind with the more volatile molecules and slow the rate at which gasoline degrades. Ethanol-heavy fuels are particularly dogshit in terms of evaporating and leaving crud behind.

That said, in a fuel injected car unless you are leaving gas for like a year plus it's probably going to be fine. It's more of an issue in small carbureted engines where there are lots of small, low pressure places gunk can gently caress poo poo up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The problem is that the site reviews go up late if ever, and sometimes things that should be in the text are only in the images, making it hard to search. It's not really Steve's fault, just the state of things right now. Idiots would rather watch youtube videos of someone reading text than read text themselves. Can't really justify allocating more of his limited resources to something that doesn't make money.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm not a fan of Jay because I think casemodding is the most boring thing ever and computers are meant to be functional, not aesthetic, but people hating on him over this should probably watch the stream he did. It obviously was stupid to put it on twitter, but talking about your immediate circumstances without sufficient thought about how it's going to look from other perspectives is sort of a hallmark of social media personalities. When there's an actual riot going on just outside where you live, "I need to make sure I'm going to be ok" is a pretty loving normal thing to think.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Even GN is intolerable when it comes to news, although at least they have the occasional juicy insider tidbit tucked in. I tend to just ignore it all and figure if it's worth hearing I'll inevitably run across it one way or another. I definitely miss the days of sites like TR being good when you could just spend 20 seconds looking at one page to find out if anything noteworthy happened in the past week.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

Haven't watched it yet but we got another Angry Steve video. I'm glad that he seems to feel secure enough in his place in the industry and his connections to be taking shots at people who deserve it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Exactly. Steve does those videos and does them that way because that's what makes him money. You know it's stupid, he knows it's stupid, but it makes money, and so he does it. I do wish the articles got posted more consistently for all their content, but if it doesn't make money, that's just how things are right now. The 14 year olds are upon us and old fogies who like reading websites are no longer relevant.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Charles posted:

Like the most you can get out of a N American outlet is 1440W, and no you're not going to be storing that much power in capacitors in a tiny cube.

You're wrong about this. Plenty of appliances (most hairdryers, many electric kettles/coffee makers, high end microwaves) are 1500W+. Normal power outlets are 15 amp, which is 120Vx15A=1800W, and 20 amp outlets are not uncommon, which is 2400w. That said yeah, you're still not driving a speaker with 4500W output off a normal outlet, it's a fundamentally ridiculous thing to say and any tech expert should pick up on that instantly.

Also two 4500W speakers in a room would not be "over 100 decibels", it would be "I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage."

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 24, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Gopros actually make biking footage look much more tame than it is, the wide angle makes everything look much flatter than reality. Also, I don't think he's riding anywhere near his limitations there, he's taking it fairly easy so he can think and talk. If you saw some of the poo poo he likely did off-camera that day you'd probably poo poo yourself.

Mountain biking is cool and good even if you really aren't into downhill.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It can be true that he's a dumbass and some people are overreacting at the same time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Every loving GPU crashes at launch jesus christ. I guarantee you whatever GPU AMD is launching is going to crash more than the 3080, and it will take far longer to fix.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are boatloads of other MLCCs (including some that have spots but are not by spec filled on the reference design) so the concept of "All MLCC" vs "All POSCAP" was a complete misunderstanding / misstatement of the situation to begin with. It may well be true that for the particular setup EVGA chose, an "All POSCAP" design did not work. But it's quite clear that for some other implementations where other parts of power delivery and filtering were done differently, it works just fine. Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) did a pretty good video about it, as did some other people.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The AMBike is here!

Somehow it manages to be even worse than I expected. A random bike you pull out of a trash pile is likely to be better, if only because someone probably rode it before and the brakes probably won't be running halfway up the loving tire.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It makes him about as rideable as the AMBike.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

mewse posted:

I feel like Steve Burke has single-handedly pushed the industry towards full mesh front panels

As his influence grows he is slowly transforming from Tech Jesus into Tech Buff Korean Jesus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If he keeps doing downhill his bones will be tempered glass soon enough.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

When talking about shock and the human body it's important to note that volts and amps are not the whole story. The amount of current is hugely important. Your body has a certain level of capacitance and internal resistance and all kinds of complication that make it not an idealized electrical conductor, especially in terms of stopping the heart. You can get hit with a level of voltage and amperage that would absolutely kill you, but for a short enough period that it is completely safe. Static shocks are the classic example, the peak current is often a number that would almost certainly kill you if sustained for longer than an extremely brief time.

This is why electric fences are safe too. Nobody wants dead cows, goats, whatever, and they certainly don't want a dead human. Maybe don't go touching random fences in Africa that are meant to stop elephants, but the average electrical fence you see is 100% not going to kill you, even if the amperage number seems kinda borderline when you look at it. They are very specifically engineered to NOT kill you.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 25, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Gaming Jesus smites the chair money changers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They didn't send it to him. He bought it. Companies brand all kinds of poo poo, AMD just happened to brand a really, really bad bike at an exceptionally bad price. Of all the lovely bikes you can buy for rebranding out of China, they picked one of the absolute shittiest clearance products.

The cruiser isn't like... that bad. It's not worth the asking price, but it's not that bad. The mountain bike is just not a mountain bike. Nothing you can buy new for less than maybe $700 is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Linus has talked quite a bit about his own financials, but if you don't believe him, Valkyrae is a D-list streamer who got a youtube contract. She accidentally leaked her youtube metrics not long ago. Just under $173k US for a 28 day period, approximately $184k for the period before. That's just YT ad money, not including donations and sponsorships (which according to other people in the streaming and YT space are generally the larger portion of the revenue). She's on less than 1/4 of Linus's subs and views.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Scuttlebutt is that her boyfriend pressured her into getting those big tits. Does help attracting more viewers, tho.

Seems extremely unlikely given that she's lesbian.

She's made it pretty clear that the over the top ultrafemme aesthetic is a personal choice. Not a fan of it but w/e, her content is good so I watch her videos on occasion.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

At least Vice and NYT. NYT more or less tried to get her black vanned.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This title... god drat.

Steve is super done with NZXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's amazing how many people did absolutely no preparation for this eventuality, even once they knew it was coming. Like how hard is it to spend 5 minutes researching cold weather preparation and know that you need to turn all your faucets on a bit to avoid this happening?