Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Klyith posted:

Running faucets does jack poo poo to stop pipes freezing when it's single digits inside your house and negative outside. It *may* stop the pipe from busting when it freezes, but may not. Also, when the interior gets that cold the water in the sink's trap can freeze, meaning that the sink will overflow. The common internet advice for preventing pipes from freezing is not at all adequate for this situation.

In a situation where you know for sure your pipes will freeze, what you need to do is to shut off the main supply in advance. which sucks because you now have no water as well as no heat, but if you're gonna evacuate who cares.

(also if I was evacuating entirely I would have tried to bleed the pipes some if possible, to introduce air spaces that would allow more expansion. but in texas that would probably mean getting into a crawlspace or something. and that's not exactly common internet advice.)

Yes, that would be the appropriate approach for a house that's going to deep freeze. We're not talking about -40, we're talking a few days of chill, which is not going to deep freeze things that quickly, even with a poorly insulated southern house. I'm sure it wouldn't have saved every house, but given the flooding he had it almost certainly would have saved his house, since he apparently only had one water line break and not literally every line destroyed as would happen in a situation where the whole thing is well and truly frozen.

e - and my point isn't that he shouldn't have shut the water supply off, it's that even the SLIGHTEST preparation would have almost certainly prevented this, and yet this guy who sets himself up as a thinker worthy of listening to didn't do the most basic research.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Steve prefers written content, as would a lot of his viewers, but Youtube makes him money and articles don't. So... we get videos.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If Linus sold anyone a 3090 anywhere near MSRP he made them money.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How do you work out if someone is a gamer anyway? Number of N-words said?

Yes, but only when averaged with atmospheric Dorito PPM and number of moms bedded last night.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, you shouldn't defend people who give terrible advice and show no remorse for doing so. Which other people criticize them or how isn't really relevant. That Verge video is an absolute joke that did more harm than good to getting new people into building PCs, and I've yet to see any evidence that Dean Takahashi has anything to offer as a gamer reviewer. It doesn't matter if your local KKK chapter calls for the Verge guy to be lynched, you can call out that behavior while still acknowledging that that video was godawful. A lot of the criticism both of them got was well-deserved and accurate. I'm all in favor of forgiving people when they admit they hosed up and show a pattern of improved behavior, but that's not the case for either of those sources and as such they still deserve the mockery they receive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

kliksphilip isn't a techtuber, but he did put out this funny UserBenchmark video for April 1st.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

... we see no value ... you're just paying to get ripped off ...

It's... amazing. Worse than I expected.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A person who isn't a practicing MD but insists on being called "Doctor" is a pedant? The entire world is shocked.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

Ian Cutress has a doctorate in a related field (I forget specifically what), and has been doing good tech journalism at AnandTech for a loooooong time. Dude is legit, he’s earned the title, and he’s trying to get something started to help everyone actually buying technology to get correctly described products.

e: some quick googling says it was awarded for computational chemistry from Oxford in 2011.

And? I know a very experienced surgeon who now teaches at a pretty good school. She doesn't go by doctor because that's not her principal occupation anymore. I know another woman who is a neuroscience lead researcher and a professor at one of the world's most reputable universities. She doesn't go by doctor either. Only total dinks try to be called "doctor" outside of a medical context, because it's loving irrelevant.

Also, he's "right" but only in one pedantic sense. One can just as easily be pedantic back and argue that while the channel frequency is half-rate, the listed "MHz" number does in fact describe the number of operating cycles per second. Hertz is a proper SI unit, transfers is not! It's unscientific to use MT/s! Also one could be not a moron and recognize that as soon as we made the jump to DDR, we switched to effective frequency because that's what is useful for comparing SDR to DDR speeds. It's a subject worth educating people on because that underlying frequency is sometimes relevant, but the way he's approaching it is pure pedantry.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 23, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

How? How do you do this? This is getting so ridiculous that it's hard to believe it's real.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The whole concept of is the 3080 Ti a good or bad buy is idiotic right now, because you can't buy loving GPUs and the prices haven't stabilized on the new ones yet. None of it means anything at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Why does it have a GPU? Because it makes sense for self-driving applications, especially Telsa's heavily camera-focused approach. Why run CP2077? Because it's good marketing for a company that wants to sell infinite possibilities that will never happen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It happens to everyone. Most reviewers of anything, even the including the personable people you like (actually especially those people) are absolutely soulless shills, aided and abetted by the fact that they don't know a goddamn thing about what they're reviewing and also a lack of creative thinking to search for and understand potential flaws. If you have the ability to figure out what's wrong with a product, you're no longer just a hype machine and thus you're dangerous to the manufacturer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

There is a middle ground, where it happens to everyone and people politely turn down the offer but don't also burn their bridges with a useful PR contact.

Anything short of shilling is bridge burning as far as these companies are concerned, because right now there are so many "influencers" who have no goddamn idea what they're talking about who will happily shill for them. Unless you have a truly spectacular product at an amazing price, why would you ever go to a competent reviewer when you can go to a garbage-tier dunce who will parrot your talking points? It might get somewhat better as people adapt to life in the influencer world and realize that almost all of them are scum, but for now it's a super effective marketing avenue that most people don't look at nearly as critically as they should.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The thing about pricing out prebuilts is that you generally speaking would not be making those choices at those price points, if at all. So MSRP/street price may not be leaving a huge gap, but if you tried to get a system built from the components you actually want all of a sudden it's much larger.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm not talking about theoretical prices. I'm saying that if a system is built from undesirable components, it doesn't matter that "It doesn't cost much more than the components." What matters is, what equivalent system would you have built with better components, and what it would cost to get a prebuilt of that quality. For example, really garbage coolers, awful motherboards, single sticks of slow ram, etc - they may only be charging you slightly over MSRP or street price, but if you'd never buy those products anyway, it's not actually a good value.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Depends entirely on which women you're talking about. Most of them aren't selling their body, but the audience the big OF streamers bring in has an impact on the character of the site as a whole.

Twitch has consistently made a lot of stupid decisions that have inevitably made things difficult, plus they have a long established and horrible history - Hasan, Twitch Korea, GiantWaffle & StivityBobo etc. I don't really feel sorry for them. I do wish youtube would make stream discovery suck less so they'd have some real competition.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

I find it hard to believe that Half-Life didn’t at least have demos or something, but whatever game you are thinking of sounds like an absolute nightmare for sure.

It did have demos, and that's how you would generate videos back in the day from Quake based games. You record a demo, play it back with audio and record only that, then disable audio, use another command to tell the game to dump every demo playback frame to disk, play back the demo and wait for it to output them all. Then you'd use a program to convert the images into a video file, then merge that video with audio.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Marques Brownlee. If you want to see a true professional shill, check out his youtube channel. Also be disgusted at how much money he's making from people who would rather consume extra-manipulative ads than actual reviews.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Also I enjoyed this horror video of non-tech Youtuber Super Eyepatch Wolf dealing with Deal consumer service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR25BVBsuS0

I can't believe that anyone is legitimately that dumb. He has to have been hamming up his own stupidity for content from the get go. That said, "gently caress Dell!"™

gently caress OEMs in general. And to segue to the laptop thing, where you have no choice but to go with an OEM ... honestly I don't view it as a solution. I don't want some stupid "upgradeable" laptop gimmick, because fundamentally to be a good laptop it can't be particularly upgradeable. What I want is laptops that don't suck massive dick. Machines like the best of the Thinkpads, but targeted at wider markets. Give me competently designed hardware packages in a frame that can take abuse and keep working. That's what people actually need.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 27, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I don't think it's "defending corporations", it's defending themselves. You buy a Dell, you think it's good, you don't want to admit you were a dumbass who got completely ripped off.

Dell is completely dogshit and you shouldn't buy stuff from them. However, if the guy who made that video isn't hamming up how stupid he is, he's in the class of person that is so stupid that it's not possible to prevent them from finding new and inventive ways to gently caress themselves over, and that's just life.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

GN continues to go scorched earth on Gigabyte

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Nah that's not how it works. The advanced features of the GP-P750GM can detect a synthetic load. Upon detecting said load, the PSU enters "blow the gently caress up" mode and detonates at a random time. This is good design because

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Verge was and is garbage, but Stefan also deserves plenty of blame. You can wing poo poo to a certain degree, but if you can't tell zip ties from tweezers, you should know that you have no business telling people how to build a computer.

He could have used the infamy as an opportunity to bail from his job, take ownership of the mess and parlay his fame into something more positive, but I mean... if you're the sort of person who winds up working as a host for The Verge doing amazingly bad tutorials, you probably don't have many people around you giving good advice. The more bad decisions you make, the easier it is to keep making bad decisions. I'm glad he's finally got an opportunity to move on from being a walking meme, but let's not pretend that video was any less bad than it was.

On the whole, I think the best thing people can take away from it is that video "experts" rarely have any clue what the gently caress they're talking about, their actual profession is "host" and the confidence is part of the job, not something that's warranted by their knowledge. If you were an expert in every field, the vast majority of videos on youtube purporting to supply knowledge would be just as transparently awful. Go watch some videos related to your career, I bet you want to blow your loving brains out 45 seconds in to most of them. That video got exposed hard because the audience likely to watch a "how to build a PC" video tends to primarily be people who already know in detail how to build a PC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It lets you pretend that engineering compromises don't exist and tell yourself that you're going to upgrade things that you 100% won't.

I swear the mindless obsession with detrimental customization is bleeding over from games to the real world.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It is a certainty that if you gave everyone Framework laptops, the total level of waste would be higher. It is a near certainty that if you gave everyone who is interested in them Framework laptops, the overall level of waste would be higher. The number of people who buy a Framework and ever replace or upgrade something that they couldn't do on something like a T series is going to be less than 1%.

The idea that everything should be modular and replaceable is just as stupid as deliberately sabotaging repairability. Making things modular when they are unlikely to fail or be upgraded within their useful lifetime is definitionally wasteful. It requires more material and energy to manufacture, as well as increasing failure rates and wasting more there. It also requires further engineering compromises for anything that is space-constrained (i.e. nearly everything, but especially laptops) requiring them to be some combination of heavier, wasteful of expensive/exotic material, and less durable/reliable if you want the same functionality in same packaging. It gets even stupider when you try to make things upgradeable. If you try to constrain future designs around the packaging requirements of current hardware to create "upgradeability" you either waste space when things shrink or you have to severely compromise when things get larger. One of the two is almost always happening to every generation of everything. There is no magic solution to engineering.

Framework might have some value as a talking point, to get people thinking. It has virtually no value as an actual product.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 12, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You're sort of right and sort of wrong. The biggest problem right to repair has is a lack of any consistent definition. There are a whole bunch of potential issues that may or may not be part of the topic in any given person's mind and "right to repair" gets used as a blanket term for all of them :

OEMs refusing to sell parts.
OEMs suing third parties who manufacture parts.
OEMs suing third parties who repair OEM parts.
The federal government assailing third parties who repair or manufacture replacement parts.
OEMs suing users who repair their own loving property.
Government assailing users who repair their own loving property.

OEMs using custom/obfuscated/modified versions of OTS parts simply to break parts compatibility.

OEMs refusing to make schematics freely available.
OEMs refusing to sell schematics.
OEMs suing anyone who makes their own schematics.
Government assailing anyone who distributes any schematics of any sort.

OEMs refusing to provide diagnostic services.
OEMs refusing to provide info on diagnostic protocols.
OEMs putting DRM on diagnostic protocols.
OEMs suing anyone who provides info on diagnostic protocols.
Government assailing anyone who provides info on diagnostic protocols.

OEMs refusing to provide repair services.
OEMs suing anyone who provides repair services.
Government assailing anyone who provides repair services.

Parts having DRM and requiring programming to work for no goddamn reason.
OEMs refusing to provide said programming.
OEMs refusing to provide information on said programming.
OEMs using the DMCA to stop other people from providing reverse engineered information on said programming.
Government assailing people who provide information or services for said programming.

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

And then you get into loony poo poo where people think everything should be modular no matter what, every IC should be socketed, every single board should always be designed to have every component be hand-solder-replaceable by end users, every internal connector should be designed to withstand at least 10,000 plug/unplug cycles, and all kinds of other impractical/undesirable poo poo.

I could go on and on and on. When you say "right to repair", someone else doesn't necessarily have any idea what you're talking about, because there isn't a definitive definition of what exactly "right to repair" legislation should cover. That's why it's such a shitfest and IMO doomed until there's a serious attempt to discuss and settle on a single definition using a new terminology, popularize it in the public mind, and then once people understand it and can support it, push legislation based on that.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 18, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Maybe it's a P-p-p-p-powerbook?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Again people with the incredibly good analysis that Linus Sebastian is a moron in business and is just about to fail.

What's funny is that the same people who think this is a bad decision, last time they posted ITT about LTT they were complaining that Linus wasn't focused enough on technical analysis.

Classic goon comedy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's no way Steve is so stupid that his business plan is "get sued into oblivion by hardware manufacturers and also be 2 weeks late with every review ever."

No one PLANS to get sued unless they're trying to generate some outrage crowdfunding parachute. That's definitely not GN's plan.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I can think of a few other possibilities as well. One is that GN may not be the actual purchaser from OE and they want to hide whoever acted as a proxy. Another, more likely possibility is that the serial is the key that gets you in the support door, and they don't want anyone harassing the manufacturer/otherwise causing trouble.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

NewEgg has been known as awful for returns for a long, long time now. I can remember building a system in 2007 and being hesitant to use NewEgg because their reputation had already gone to poo poo by then.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you're throwing away pixels, there's no benefit to rendering at a higher resolution to begin with. I think repiv is right, they're probably trying to use AI to reduce the inherent jankyness of scaling down at a low, off-integer sample rate. I have no particular expectation of how well it will work.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

It should be a minor performance hit. If you're running at 1440p and use DLDSR it would be like running DLSS at 4k. DLSS at 4k high quality mode renders at 1440p anyways which is how DLSS provides such a massive performance boost.

Based on what Nvidia has said, it's really not like DLSS. It can't really be temporal, because they don't have motion vectors or subpixel jitter for the inputs. It's just a way of trying to make better decisions about how to do difficult downscaling when you don't have a lot of pixels to blend.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If Linus paid someone to do this poo poo for him, he'd have less money because he paid them and less money because he wouldn't get to make this video. I don't feel like that's hard to understand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

If Linus picked up the phone and called dell or hpe, they would have shipped and configured one of their big storages for free. It's hubris.

Of course they would. Maybe they'd even comp him the help getting set up properly. But what gets him more views/revenue - one boring-rear end video about a server they got for free, or regularly recurring stream of "IT'S ALL hosed AND WE'RE GOING TO DIE" videos?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Given the public outrage, i am expecting newegg will introduce what Amazon is doing in certain euro locales (first 3-5 returns in a quarter will be effortless, afterwards the reps will get up into your rear end to even accept the return). It's the best compromise to look nice without messing up the kpi too much

I mean this is pretty much how returns with Amazon have been for a long time, but even easier with Warehouse poo poo.

Figuring out how to approach open box is easy : Always accept returns on open box unless you have photo proof that the customer damaged the product. If you get too many returns on a class of open box product, stop selling that class of open box product. Sell it to a third party and let them deal with the hassle/bad PR. If a customer falls too far outside the norm on returns for open box products, stop letting them buy open box products.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The proper way to address the thermal situation on an Alienware system is to bolt on a large fan that blows it directly into the trash.

Doing anything with those systems is just throwing good money after bad.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of USB-C, here's an article on USB-C debugging which touches on power delivery and compliance for it.

But op, all USB is packetized so it's great for networking gear!

As sort of implied by this, I don't think the cost is so much associated with the port hardware as it is the overall implementation. So either you spend a bunch of money on hardware design, implementation, and debugging, or you wind up with a device that doesn't work with all chargers, etc. It seems to be comparatively much simpler to implement USB 2, so if USB 2 provides all the capabilities your device needs and you're not going to sell a large volume of them as a premium product, generally either you go micro-USB or you go partially broken USB-C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Lol legal action is more effective than linking inquiring journalists to a post on your forums where you list out the girls you smooched at church camp imo but then again i am not a lawyer so what do i kmow

It's really not. Legal action isn't going to do poo poo for Linus. What matters is salvaging your reputation. If someone can make a youtube video titled "Half of LTT staff QUITS after Linus accused of UNDERAGED R*PE!!!!", that's going to have a more or less permanent impact on the trajectory of the company. This isn't big business world where "LOL we funded a genocide" is barely a blip, LTT exists in a space where reputation is everything.