Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

All the Gamers Nexus stuff becomes "collectible", and new stuff sells because people want the new stuff. It's not like no one has ever re-branded before while having things with their old logo on them. Besides, it's all generic online store crap that could be made with a different name inside of a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

60 bucks for a hoodie. 30 bucks for an insulated water bottle. 10 bucks for a lanyard.

I would easily bet you can take the 0 off each of those, and that would be the entire cost (design, manufacture, shipping) of each item.

Online merchandise is a huge profit, so the more items you can get people to buy, the more money you make.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Lambert posted:

Is "fuel stabilizer" actually a thing that's useful? Sounds like a scam product.

Generally the best use for it is when you are storing things that can't easily be drained (or one is lazy) over a long period of time. So a push or trim mower over the winter, or a snow blower and snowmobile over the summer. And yes, a vehicle going into storage.

What K8.0 said is so true. I had to have an old garden tractor's carb re-built twice because it was only used as a backup, and the ethanol just clogged the thing up. He told us that in small engines with a carburetor to find gas with no ethanol in it. There was actually one gas station near me that carried it, though the price (at the time) was about a dollar more per gallon.

In the case of Linus, it won't help, but probably won't really hurt either. Modern engines are made for 10% ethanol gas. The thing would have to sit for literal months, with no movement (as just driving it once a week will stir the gas tank and help "freshen" the gas) in order for the gas to start to go bad. And even if it sat for years it would still run, might not like it, but it would.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Probably a bit of that and a bit of asking for a bit too much stuff recently. I remember a different storage server video he did a few months ago where he asked Seagate for a bunch of drives, they sent him drives rated for at most 5 per chassis, then he told them it was for a huge NAS and they sent him drives rated for like 12 per chassis and he had to go back to them again to clarify he was putting all like 40 drives he was asking them for into the same chassis before they sent him drives certified for that type of duty. For some reason Seagate didn't ask him to send the other drives back (that's almost certainly where the initial Ironwolf drives he was going to use in this video came from) but I got the impression from the video that Seagate was done with sending him drives for a while.

He did a passing update on the state of all those drives he got in a few videos he did after that build. Basically Seagate said he could keep them, but he had to use them in a project/projects, otherwise he had to return them. If I remember right he had a deadline too.

My guess as to why they re-used that old server is that he's done a few new storage setups recently, and they didn't want to send him a new rack-mount server. I believe the stuff he has been getting is essentially one-off's and/or pre-production stuff, so once he runs through that, then he has to pay.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

He's battled weight problems all his life, which he's talked about. He mentioned not being able to get to a gym due to covid, and the blah's that have come with the lockdowns (not negative, more the "oh god I'm bored").

It's an incredible effort to lose the amount of weight he has and a daily fight to keep it from returning.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

My first "building PCs" experience was from taking apart cheap old computers and putting them back together and upgrading them in cheap but effective ways. That's harder than it used to be as modern prebuilts from companies like Dell and HP are now full of proprietary parts and have the bare minimum power supply to turn on.

Won't argue with them putting in poo poo power supplies. I've seen gaming setups from both that have a power supply in them that would have problems with the system near to full load. Granted that isn't something most people would ever do, and even outside of benchmarking probably won't hit it that hard, but still.

As to proprietary stuff, that really isn't an issue anymore. The motherboard might be about it, but they are generally standard layouts now (Dell loved using custom boards that worked only in their cases for example). A lot of the stuff is just standard, more than likely un-branded, off the shelf hardware.

The worse offense is that they are still putting in spinning drives in computers. Last I looked (a few months ago), HP only had like 1-2 very low end systems with them, but Dell was putting them in as the only drive on a lot of their low and mid-range systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

I'll be 44 this year. I built my first computer when I was about 20. It was a duron (667 mhz), with everything but the OS. I remember it being around $600-650.

I built a first gen Ryzen system about 5 years ago I think it was. Everything but the OS and case. It was $725. That was with a 750 watt ps and a 1060 vid card (before the bitcoin bubble).

I remember when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade my Dad bought a computer, as he needed it for work. 486 maybe. I remember it was a grand give or take (he was able to write it off so that helped).

If you shopped and didn't have a need/want for the top of the line setup, prices have been really steady outside of when they first started getting into homes, and not counting the shortage globally now of components of course.