Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
This guy seems like a tremendous goober but almighty algorithm decided to show me this video and I have to admit I laughed at the terrible premise?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F10R5mvnK4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

When EVGA went and gave statements saying that capacitors were a problem, it's much more than speculation by randos. Like, good that it turned out not to be the case, and I apologize for repeating it when I'd been out of the loop on the issue.

Anyways, launch 3080s have CTDs for mystery reasons, so I'll go back to the original point that getting FOMO about day 1 launch hardware is maybe a bad choice.

EVGA's statement was accurate for the specific design of their own cards, for performance reasons relative to the targets they set or whatever, but the CTD issue had literally zero to do with capacitor-gate at the end of the day, and was fixed by a driver update; it affected FE cards, ASUS TUF cards that had a full array of "the good caps", and everything in between. One issue wasn't correlated to the other in any way.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My favorite fun Amway fact is that they have one retail storefront and for some reason it is at Citifield, aka the home of the New York Mets.

Which, if you know anything about the Mets, and in particular, about their ownership, up until a week ago, is extremely funny if a bit too on the nose.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the talent deficit posted:

do ltt even run youtube ads? all of their videos have sponsors

Preroll ads at a minimum, yes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Gee, I wonder where he got the idea that people might do that?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

priznat posted:

what

Goddamn I thought this was some cheap ripoff of the corsair tiny case thingie with the riser etc. That’s madness, buy a phanteks or something!

Leaving aside the... subject of discussion, w/r/t build quality, the the NZXT H1 is actually one of the best SFF cases out there - especially if you want the small form factor, but don't want to trouble yourself with the frustration and work that normally comes with SFF anything. It's as plug and play as it gets with the built in PSU and AIO cooler, and it's a legitimately great design/idea/case.

Shame about the whole 'catches on fire because it was built by idiots and cheapskates' thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Please please please tell me this is just Steve being droll and that I am not that old at the ripe age of thirty-loving-seven.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm 40 and have never seen these things in my life.

They literally ran Super Bowl ads in the late 90's with them!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Listen, he's mad at Linus because Linus sucks, not because Linus is Canadian. This has NOTHING TO DO with Linus's Canadian-ness. You're the real xenophobic rear end in a top hat for calling into question the idea that this could be about anything other than how bad Linus is, like, for example, how much I hate Canadians.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

buffbus posted:

Then you are going to have people arguing Aerith vs Aeris.

It’s Aeris and people who spell it with a lisp don’t get cards.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Lmao at GN steve “I don’t cook my own food”

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Both the ram MHz thing and base 10 vs base 2 storage nonsense have the shared property of being harmless to the lay consumer, for whom it remains clear that bigger number is better and that’s fine and what is important is that the scale mostly remains consistently meaningful and to the properly educated enthusiast who understands what is actually going on. In both cases it’s only actually confusing to, essentially those folks who are smart enough to go poking around or installing monitoring software but also too dumb to understand the outputs of said monitoring software or Google when it doesn’t seem to make sense.

And, not to put a fine point on it, but I think it is okay and cool and good to aggressively confuse curious teenagers like that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

At this point if you're a boutique gaming PC company, how do you not have a special flag on all orders from the Raleigh area for "this might be GN, don't gently caress it up".

I think all of the machines they’ve reviewed so far, they said they bought at a local Best Buy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
They bought the dell from Best Buy (the yet to be reviewed Alienware they’ve talked about was apparently ordered direct). (And yeah, I should have been clear when I said all, I meant from this years recent round, not the wal mart/NZXT fiascos of years past)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Why does this keep happening to Hardware Unboxed? Is it just that by being in Australia they end up dealing with Asian-Market reps that are used to a whole different press dynamic than a US/Euro based PR flack would be? Or is there something else going on here?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

well why not posted:

So either it was some mid level going wild, or this was policy that they were ok with until it was called out.

More likely than either, it seems like some top level was going wild.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

This is utterly repulsive tbh.

I do not get ASMR stuff. Like, at all.

I’m sure it will make them lots of money though, so good for them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
That gets most of the way there. The thing is, there’s an incentive for these women to get out of that category, because it’s not listed on the front page and it puts them into too much competition with each other, rather than everyone else on twitch.

And the result is a continual game of malicious compliance on the part of Amouranth et al, where they find new categories to raid and new ways to stick as close to the letter of the law as possible while doing what they do, followed by a fresh crackdown and some new rules, and repeat.

(I doubt the Amouranths of the world care about the ad revenue split from Twitch; they’re in it for the subs and to feed traffic off the platform where they can take an even larger slice)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Comatoast posted:

Dudes get called every variation of racist and homophobic names that the sewers of the internet can come up with. It’s the internet. The gender is irrelevant. The internet is just toxic and was a mistake.

Nah. It is 1000x worse for women and even a cursory glance at the poo poo coming their way regularly bears this out.

ed: like, yeah, toxicity is everywhere and it ain't good for dudes either! But the difference in degree is large enough that it still bears mentioning and not just handwaving away with "INTERNET BAD"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Yeah she mentions downthread that it’s optimized for quiet so that people can actually talk while wearing it. Noisy fans are a problem. Competing commercial products for what she’s designing here cost a few grand, so dropping 20 bucks on the right fan for the design in the DIY solution is still being frugal.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, making me side eye my motherboard

This but my GPU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CoolCab posted:

i did not realize you need an all metal enclosure case for IO shields to do anything at all lmao

I mean, they probably keep out some amount of dust.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It’s also disingenuous to handwave away the torrent of decidedly racist nonsense the guy got via every social media channel other than the specific not directly racist (Bitwit’s character bullshit is racist A F, but that’s another conversation) YouTube reaction videos that merely opened the floodgates, rather than participating in the deluge.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack Ratigan posted:

Actually it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about. Who's audiences "act a certain way collectively"? Is there a threshold for "collective PC gamer racism"? Is there a chart? How much of the pie has to be filled before making fun of a black man screwing up is "riling up a hate mob"?
Youtubers have no ability to protect POC from shitheels.
The idea that they have the responsibility to makes me legitimately angry. It's paternalistic as hell. No one, not even Bitwit, were busting out with 1930's tom and jerry cartoons or winking at their evil audiences about, "those people".
Most of the videos I saw on the drat thing weren't even that zany or overblown. Unless the videos were made, or they were harder on him BECAUSE he's black, then he's fair game.

This whole line of thought is wild to me. Should they have taken steps to "protect" him from the videos backlash? Not reported on it?
Don't you realize how backhanded that is?

The first person making a “hey lol this verge video is pretty bad?” Yeah, I’m not blaming them.

The 30th one joining the circle jerk once it has fully curdled and turned into what it became? Yeah, I think that person should have thought twice about what they were participating in.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VostokProgram posted:

Isn't bitwit asian himself? Seems odd to call his act racist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CoolCab posted:

it came out on his podcast that LTT also had some kind of non-trivial business partnership with noctua at some stage. which, imo demonstrated the very limited functional use of such disclosures because i had 0 idea of it (despite them claiming to have disclosed it at some point in the distant past before i watched his channel) and had no idea they had a conflict of interest when i was uncritically absorbing their praise for the fans.

The “partnership” was a glorified endorsement deal where the early chromax black fans came with Orange bumpers and they were announced via the channel.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

njsykora posted:

It's always disarming when I'm on a platform without adblock and see an actual straight up preroll advert with Linus in it and presumably made by his crew.

Doubly so when the ad is like… 5 years old and just features clean shaven young Linus as “Random IT Guy who the viewer is not necessarily expected to recognize.”

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Almost everyone who has worked for Linus since the early days are either still there with him or are still friends and make occasional appearances. He legitimately strikes me as a boss that cares about creating a good work environment. For being a rich tech bro, linus comes off as a pretty decent dude all things considered.

I do occasionally get the vibe that there is an inner circle outer circle thing going on at LMG and that it probably kind of sucks to not be one of the Cool Kids Who Are Friends With The Boss, but I’m not sure how much of that is me projecting based on workplaces I’ve been at.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

But they didn't. They lost patience, yanked hard, and broke the thing. And then showed that and the results. That's kinda poo poo IMO.

I don't think he's corrupt, but I don't think LTT has the seriousness to take the conflict of interest seriously.

This right here. This is the thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

well why not posted:

Is it a conflict of interest if say, MKBHD or Gruber have a fuckload of Apple shares?

Gruber specifically has always been very upfront that he refuses to buy individual stocks for exactly this reason.

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1305933710068416519?s=20

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1306117172528324608?s=20

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

njsykora posted:

Someone in the YOSPOS Apple thread said well done you’ve invented the dongle.

It's this. The big innovation is moving the USB C ports further into the computer so the dongle sits flush with the case? Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Death On Toast posted:

GN is definitely stylistically aping all the clickbait thumbnails of the world. That said, if the combination of the title and thumbnail clearly states the summation of the content piece without having to click on it, I don't think it can accurately be described as clickbait. So he's pretty much trolling the very concept of clickbait, which I think it totally rad.

RIP Deadspin, but I come back to this extremely salient piece all the time; https://deadspin.com/shut-up-about-clickbait-1551902024

quote:

Used as an epithet, the word "clickbait" presents a tautology as a criticism. You published something, and want people to read it, too.

Taken at face value, it's less than meaningless—it's self-negating. It's obscurantist, senselessly treating journalism as if the high modernist values of contingency and complexity were journalism's own. It's moralistic, proposing a false binary between stories that serve the public interest and those cynically presented just because people will read them. It's suspicious, hostile, and patronizing. It confuses decorum with integrity.

In theory, it's a term for something without inherent merit, published principally for the purpose of tricking people into reading it. In practice, it's something else.