Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Speaking of listening on headphones, something I wonder on their videos, especially ones with Linus, why does the audio sound all weird and choppy? I presume it's hard to notice or they would have done something about it. Is it an audio compressor they are using? Or are they auto-tuning Linus's voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think Linus is going to kill himself. He's crying a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsZCTL__lo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He seems pretty serious about this.

When I clicked it he was talking about if he died tomorrow his wife & kids would be taken care of and there were a lot of people saying "Don't do it" so I probably clicked at a really awkward time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OhFunny posted:

That was a very emotional and I teared up a little when he talked about the Make-A-Wish kid.

For sure

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're just jealous of Linus

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They sell Sta Bil at Canadian Tire and it's fine, presuming it's the same stuff as south of the border.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's why a lot of docks have ethanol-free gas, 'cause boat motors sit quite a bit. We use it with my friend's generator for the same reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I know. Maybe somebody in the chat pointed it out for him? I dunno. I don't think stabil will hurt anything though, besides about $15. Also in classic GM, anything good they cancel. But that's getting off topic. :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

I'm glad to see that my thread title still applies. Jesus gently caress Linus.

Jealous much?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Klyith posted:

They didn't say it wouldn't be a big deal, they said "buy a computer NOW" was a stupid sentiment, and that if you had an adequate PC running out to panic buy new poo poo was stupid.

I'm pretty sure that's what Linus's video actually said too (not gonna lie the title is clickbait), just that if you were gonna upgrade do it now. I don't feel like watching the video again to confirm exactly what he said though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

unsurprisingly mkbhd's video is getting a higher proportional number of dislikes than likes.. at least based on his previous 2 videos.

Gave it a like when I saw that. A silly way to fight racists, but worth it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Linus is the best and it's amazing how jealous it makes people that he's successful.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

littleorv posted:

What kind of name is Linus anyways?

Greek, one of Apollo's sons.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
LTT says their "biggest video of the year" is coming in under an hour (midnight Pacific)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow...just watched early on Floatplane. You won't believe who he endorsed for U.S. president. 👀

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess their biggest thing ever was the 88" 8k monitor, which they actually published before midnight. Boo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Nah it was clearly the 3090. Just look at this loving thing

It's a good thing I can't cross the border or I'd go take it from those nerds!!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Linus is the best and it's hilarious how mad it makes people

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.

Yeah on a serious note, I've watched one of his videos, it was "cool tech" or something like that where he reviewed some compact Bluetooth speaker, and said the company also has a 5000W (or something) literally impossible rated speaker and didn't question it. Like the most you can get out of a N American outlet is 1440W, and no you're not going to be storing that much power in capacitors in a tiny cube. It's a loving scam.

Here, I found it, Dope Tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FC94Tgz2ho

Maybe he's a nice guy, I dunno, but that was enough not to want to watch anything else.

I'm going to start a patreon to take apart Audiophile garbage and show what kind of junk it is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

You're wrong about this. Plenty of appliances (most hairdryers, many electric kettles/coffee makers, high end microwaves) are 1500W+. Normal power outlets are 15 amp, which is 120Vx15A=1800W, and 20 amp outlets are not uncommon, which is 2400w. That said yeah, you're still not driving a speaker with 4500W output off a normal outlet, it's a fundamentally ridiculous thing to say and any tech expert should pick up on that instantly.

Also two 4500W speakers in a room would not be "over 100 decibels", it would be "I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage."

In some cases at least max continuous draw on a 15A circuit should only be 12A, 1500W is 12.5A which is probably close enough, I am not an electrician however, just know that usually for continuous use the breakers are 80% of capacity so that's why an EVSE on a 14-50R with 50A breaker only charges at 40A.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's some worthless old computer, who cares

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If the clip was carrying any significant amount of current itself it would get super hot pretty quick, but not as fast as it blew itself up. Yes I might happen to have had a paperclip shaped mark on my finger for a few days 😂

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spunkshui posted:

Water and electrics
A computer in the attic
A 3080 in a shower PC
Hygiene

So many reasons for nerds to be mad at this video.

Why should anyone be mad? It's awesome and hilarious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm afraid of Americans

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh no not some garbage old computer that was rotting in a warehouse broken anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I actually watched the whole thing, he has fair points, but is pretty tone deaf about it, honestly. But what do you expect from a guy who brings an assault rifle to Subway to educate people and paintball guns to a school or whatever?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nowher posted:

The merch revenue is way higher than I expected. No wonder they push it so hard.

I don't get the appeal of merchandise, unless it's a charity organization like Saveafox or something. Especially underwear. Yikes. I couldn't get into a YouTube channel that much that I'd want other people to know I watch it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I appreciate that he said he changed manufacturers of their shirts or something because the working conditions at the factory were not okay.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I feel like you could sync that audio to anything to make it funny, like Yakety Sax.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spunkshui posted:

I’m really loving tired of Linus‘s teeshirt lottery scam.

He’s doing another limited run of T-shirts and people are straight up asking if this one has a prize connected he’s like” oh no no no no no I would never do such a thing but if you buy the shirt something might happen.”

They deserve to have Canada‘s legal arm up their rear end for this, it is obvious what’s going on here.

:qq:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're gonna watch the secret shopper

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're gonna be giving away a 3080 somehow too haha
edit : A Colorful with an LCD screen on it. Through the LTT store somehow. I dunno I didn't pay too much attention

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think he's actually pretty nice, but a business person first.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Didn't he post a picture of himself carrying in a Subway? I can't remember where I saw that.

Yeah, it'd be on this channel somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/user/awesomeairguns/videos

Here's a snippet at Costco Home Depot looks like
https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

I always remember that stuff as it's the volts that jolts and it's the mills that kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hear they've hired Madison, finally.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mewse posted:

I'm Canadian and I worked for a visual effects company and you can read between the lines and see what a miserable place that could be to work. The misery in the editing dept any time they're shown is palpable. Linus constantly jokes about how he's the boss and his is the only opinion that matters. The whannock server saga, the time they thought they could dump all their backups to google drive, the "why we don't license windows" video that I refused to watch, they're operating as a fly by night but have a sizable number of staff who are constantly putting out fires due to jerry rigged solutions.

Yes having Intel pony up for a 5k USD home tech upgrade is dope AF but it was like 5 on-camera personalities that got that treatment.

LOL
Don't know what the whannock server is, but I know they've crashed without backups, yeah that's dumb.

They didn't actually think they could use Google drive as a backup.

If you watch the license video you will see they license Windows properly.

It's insane how jealous Linus makes people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can't wait until Madison starts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of dig at him? I don't really get the relevance.

That tweet is from 2013 also, so he's kept the weight off for at least 8 years. Good job on that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

It's amazing how many people did absolutely no preparation for this eventuality, even once they knew it was coming. Like how hard is it to spend 5 minutes researching cold weather preparation and know that you need to turn all your faucets on a bit to avoid this happening?

:facepalm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Everybody here's an expert, yet I don't see any of you with successful youtube careers.