Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you could be bothered / had enough money to test the theory, I doubt that a court would agree with Microsoft that running a licensed Windows 10 instance on a VM for the sole use of one employee was unreasonable.

But with all these things, the aim is to make the litigation so expensive that people don’t bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

Linus's new backup solution is super reliable :rolleyes:

His follow up is where he manages to spend a loving insane amount of cash on a Thunderbolt tape drive when a Tandberg SAS autoloader would have been about two grand cheaper.

Edit: Haha he's using LTFS

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would never watch another unboxing video as long as I live if companies were capable of just clearly stating what comes in the package, and maybe taking a photo of it all like Newegg do/did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume if they get too hot they just shut off anyway. So it’s not really solving a problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

These YouTube channels with a gently caress-ton of cash flow seem to be about one advertising algorithm change away from bankruptcy. Especially as they move away from being original content that people want, and towards being popular for being popular.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YouTube needs a playback speed option quicker than 2x

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

Does anyone watch Louis Rossman stuff on the regular? I randomly come across him from time to time and, I dunno, I understand what he's getting at with the whole right to repair stuff but his poo poo is along the same lines as that insane Scottish guy who considers nVidia to be ISIS' GPU department. Louis Rossman's.. intensity? paranoia? just comes off like he considers Apple to be literal war criminals.

The guy has rants that seem to verge into super libertarian territory

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rudager posted:

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

There is no way to volume licence devices that don't already have an OEM Windows install on - so either you burn a license for each board you install the software on, or you purchase enough licenses to comply with the spirit of the licensing but never bother activating them since they are so short lived.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evobatman posted:

gently caress I loving hate youtube thumbnails with people doing their stupid gape!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's in it for Eaton to send a UPS to LTT? Is there much overlap between people who watch his videos who don't already know Eaton make UPS hardware and people with purchasing decision making powers? Are there some Reddit sysadmins learning on the job while being underpaid and building gaming rigs for work usage with pirated Windows that are being targeted here?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's head caliper stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh lol I think I watched one of his videos once about running a single network cable and he managed to make it 25 minutes long and do a poo poo job while also telling everybody he was half-assing it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've built up a video production capability and all your staff know a lot about PC hardware then being able to do video production for 'enthusiast' PC hardware manufacturers that might only have handfuls of people based outside of China/Taiwan is a really smart thing to do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"In the summer I *have* to carry little pistols like this"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:laffo: the guy handing him cash throughout

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Here's this mysterious cable I don't understand the wiring on"

It's blue, green/yellow and brown. Commonly accepted colours for neutral, earth, live. Why did that guy think that a chunky flex cable was just a switch line?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

jesus christ I don't know how you people can stand to watch this kind of mental illness. All I want to do is try and get him the help he desperately needs.

Does this genius think that in countries where handguns aren’t legal to own you can just wave a replica around for self defence?

Also I can’t imagine being in a position where I felt the need to carry pepper spray and a taser around with me at all times.

Edit: Is the polo shirt and waistcoat combo a gimmick?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also how would you have not encountered security torx before now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if you priced the iFixit screwdriver stuff up against Wera/Wiha drivers then it would look like very good value

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He thought that closing the power switch on the monitor showing continuity on a tester meant that these chunky cables in mains flex colours (the only cables going up to the monitor from the PSU) were just a switch line, so he tried to boot the machine by just shorting the line and neutral out on the power supply.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"When I put the meter on here it showed a direct short"

Nope, it read 15 ohms which is very much not a direct short

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spunkshui posted:

Lmao 15 ohms as a short.

Jesus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those Fluke autoranging meters will beep at <20ohms but that's because they are designed for sparks and not for electronics repair

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who care about saving other people's money really confuse me. I'm not saying be wasteful, but if the tool you need to do your job is expensive then that's just the cost of doing business, and if the company doesn't want to pay for the tools then they should consider the line of business they are in.

Same when it comes to clients, I have a coworker who always tries to go in cheap as gently caress because his clients never have money, but he does this before he's got a budget out of them and sometimes barely has a list of their requirements. If someone wants to do something that is expensive and you throw something completely poo poo together for cheap, they're going to be pissed off. My approach is to just tell people upfront if their budgets are too low and go from there, either the scope gets reduced or we don't do the work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I'd quite like a Silq but would have to try it out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s a kitchen set in a studio in London and I’ve been there a few times so now recognise it instantly whenever it appears in adverts. It’s one of those things that makes so much sense once you’ve seen it, but up to that point you just assume most things are location shoots.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's really not any reasonable preparation that a homeowner can do if they live in an area that never normally has below zero temperatures and suddenly has to deal with a week of being -20c.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah lol I didn't realise he'd evacuated the house without shutting the water off, assumed it was like those people who just wake up and have water pouring through their ceiling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's just dust as well, it's not like a poo poo pipe leaked over it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ban all Brits from the internet imo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

well why not posted:

The idea of wearing masks in public (and staying the gently caress home when sick) are two lessons I hope we've learnt forever.

:allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No doubt he can afford it all but I can't get on board with just turning stuff into e-waste for clicks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's awesome :3:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Steve found a PC he doesn't hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a Windows license in there as well

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Klyith posted:

I continue to feel that the concept is like, "Neat! 📸" but not particularly amazing.

Same, I'm not even 100% sure that it's going to be that quiet as the little integrated pump and CPU block is right next to the radiator and the sound can just waft straight out the top of the box.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was like 4 cassette units and one external condenser, I doubt a house the size of his didn't have a power supply beefy enough for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it Half-Life that had to be recorded by dumping still images of each frame to disk and then reassembling them? And audio had to be captured separately? We've come a long way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Best of luck to them for taking risks I guess, but I see people signing leases on commercial premises to support a YouTube channel and I just worry that their main source of income is at the whim of Google deciding whether you're right for them or not. I guess that's why merch sales are so important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beve Sturke