Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EVIL Gibson posted:

See how he paid thousands of dollars to fix his GIANT ZFS ARRAY WOWEE WOW WOW because he decided to use the 'hda','hdb',etc naming convention which any guide will tell you to NEVER loving DO (use the UUID).
lol he paid a few grand for someone to run "zpool import -f"? (That'll make it scan all drives for ZFS pool signatures and fix it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the video fits this thread the best. I mean Bitwit's Chinese guy shtick gets old quick, but it highlights the best parts of the riffed original video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4

And it still misses the PSU being put in upside down and the short snippet of the guy trying to remove thermal paste from the underside of the CPU.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 17, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unbox Therapy is obnoxious as gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Edit: I do like LTT videos for the incompetence and sheer volume of product reviews, but man is their editing and click-bait titles annoying.
Blame Youtube for the titles. Their stupid AI prefers those.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's a perfectly serviceable option called bcache on Linux. It does in particular what he's wishing for in regards to new incoming data. But I guess that wouldn't make much of a video.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They've done a roast of Linus? Do I even want to click into it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That idiot isn't really a Youtuber at all, but there's no other suitable thread for this...

https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/ars-technica-writer-peter-brig.html

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/peter-bright-charged-soliciting-sex-minors/

Whoopsie. :yikes:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 8, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Phone posted:

i didn't realize his twitter handle was @drpizza until i saw atomicthumbs tweeting about it this morning, and this is firmly going in the bucket of "this simulation sucks". loving dr pizza? really? loving really writers? this is the best you can come up
To be fair, he had that nickname for years before this pizza gate bullshit already.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

pizza=cp has been around far longer than pizzagate

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheese+pizza

since 2010 at least
TIL.

Well, Whoops Part Two.

--edit:
Actually, there's people on the Ars forum complaining that it's a stupid nickname, dated around September 2000, so eh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rossman was a weird tone to his poo poo, but considering the assholes Apple are being in that specific area he operates in, I'm almost willing to forgive it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wendell and co? Don't they have a female co-host?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is some TTS poo poo, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That needs to go to the audiophile thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seeing the water level drop was impressive. Considering water is incompressible, it was in the rest of the system, and that was a considerable volume.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Peter Bright, DDLG. :toot:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/drpizza-trial-peter-bright-trial-ends-in-hung-jury.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I have no idea. I wish there was a proper summary of what happened, because it must have been clown college. Over on Ars, in the relevant thread, people are talking about it, seemingly knowing details, but not really linking them (apart from a few unreadable stray pages). But apparently in typical DrPizza fashion, he was being a know-it-all fuckwad again, and did a testimony in self-defense, against the better judgment of his lawyer, and it must have been so annoying that court spectators left in the middle of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, what? LTT and nazis? Is this internet hyperbole?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Blame Google/Youtube's reliance on their ML bullshit for everything. For some reason their algorithm converged to a solution that promotes that poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

People on social media being holier than thou, well I never.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

K8.0 posted:

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.
The guy never has a strong opinion about anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh no, I have a Maxnomic chair. It'd relatively comforable, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baronash posted:

I have no way of knowing the work environment at LMG, but loving lol if you unironically think that people at a job aren’t unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked unless they are quitting.
Yeah, pretty much that. I'm annoyed as gently caress by my job (actually it's the poo poo pay for what I do), but given my qualifications (mostly just a lack those lovely papers spelling D-I-P-L-O-M-A) my options are limited. So I just stick with it, because it mostly can just get worse. I know plenty of others with the same situation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 11, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm sorry you're in a lovely situation. The way the US work culture and education system is setup does have some problems, it does hold people back. That said, I know my job really sucks right now, but I know I am here in part because of my own fault, and in part because of factors I feel have been beyond my control. You're right, but that is a debate that is not the same as whether or not Linus is a good or bad boss.
It sounds worse than it is. It's relatively seen a nice job, because the activities are diverse. I'm just paid like poo poo, in my opinion anyway. I moved from operating a cable insulation extrusion production line, where most of my day consisted out of 6-7 hours of Netflix and internet browsing, to production planning with a side-dish of statistician and data analyst/programmer. And for some reason I still earn the same (actually less, since I got shift bonuses as blue collar). I certainly don't want back to the factory floor, but I also don't know what else I want to do. IT is interesting, but they want all sort of paper work to consider you worthy. Yet when I look at our IT department (where I applied once, also note that I'm coding regardless), dumping SQL results into an SWT table in Java seems to be considered high art, yet trying to get them to decode a simple Excel formula makes their heads spin like a propeller (happened more than once when me and my senior coworker were both on vacation, and people called them for support). So I'm not sure what extended education I _do_ actually need. Bitter? No sir, not at all.

Also to get back on topic. Yea I guess it would be nice to work at a shop like LTT, but if they're indeed actually underpaid, fun isn't a currency that pays the bills. On the other hand, at least the editing team, considering what a shitshow the movie/TV industry is, specifically the VFX branch, it's probably saner to live on dry bread anyhow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

Paper promotions with no raise or benefits is the worst poo poo, if you haven't made your request for a raise to your boss clear then do so and if you have then send out the resume.
Oh I did make it clear, but here we are. As far as sending out the resume, I have to sit on this position for a while, to "pad" the CV. There's a reason I went for that blue collar job to begin with. Judging the salary discussion on r/belgium recently, it also seems more like workers in the metal sector are overpaid. According to there, IT people don't really make that much more, unless they're working in Brussels at a Top 500.

That said, my salary is going to rise with seniority every year, and there's a bunch at least three raises left, which my boss is gonna try to push through (one each year). It's a 2D salary table.

Klyith posted:

Worked the factory floor then promoted into your current position sounds like great bait to me.
I actually applied for it. :shobon:

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm sure she knows what she is doing, but I just cant watch a video like that in front of my wife or kids so I choose to avoid that YouTube channel. I hope people were not creeping on Max, but creepers are everywhere, it's not just an LMG thing.
You should get into 3D printing, because that'll eventually make Youtube suggest Naomi 'SexyCyborg' Wu to you.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 12, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

She actually knows what she's talking about. The produced videos aren't really an indicator of that, since it's essentially acting with a script. But you'll notice when she's doing more candid stuff when recorded while visiting conventions... when that was still possible.

Scuttlebutt is that her boyfriend pressured her into getting those big tits. Does help attracting more viewers, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 12, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Seems extremely unlikely given that she's lesbian.
I'm going by information I picked up a long while ago, when she was more controversial. Google now says this, so I guess yea:

quote:

“To this day, people still repeat the rumour, even though I’ve hundreds of hours of video disproving it,” Wu says. “My authenticity is well established enough at this point that prying into my personal life is just shorthand for attempting to deprive me of agency, so I don’t take kindly to it.”

Dougherty’s accusations stemmed from Reddit conspiracy theories, claiming Wu was married to a white male, and he was the one behind her work.

“I had what we call a ‘contract marriage’ or a fake husband,” Wu says. “This is common in China for the LGBT community. It makes life go smoothly.”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Certain stories about your persona will get you in deep poo poo in China.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Both Bitwit and his wife uploaded videos about their divorce poo poo on Youtube? Dear God in heaven, who cares (obviously some people do, given view counts)? People get divorced all the time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Theophany posted:

They both loving suck and schadenfreude is a thing.
I picked up on plenty of places that he's apparently a tool, for this Lyle thing among other things. What's his wife do? Apart from this stupid handle "Wifeysauce"?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Surprised they're all electric in the car department. I'd have figured some open carry guy being all hurrr mah truck.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cavauro posted:

evs seem pretty popular among the prepper/survivalist crowd
For what reason, anyway? Seems easier to steal fuel than lug a shitload of solar panels around to recharge your EV.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Was it the constant dropping and breaking of hardware?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty sure he said in that video that he's a bit of a prepper.
I'd say probably not unwarranted, if you're in a region where the power tends to go out for extended time while poo poo freezes over. Of course it all depends whether you have rations or five hundred Rambo knifes in your bug out bag.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering how large the fanbase of LTT is, if you're going to mobilize a significant part of it to run that stupid miner, it'll be akin to a commercial operation in environmental impact.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm 40 and have never seen these things in my life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

They literally ran Super Bowl ads in the late 90's with them!
Oh okay. Europe here. Guess that's why.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Also we're 3 months into 2021, pointing out MS Flight Simulator is kinda stupid on that guys part.
Nevermind it's still a slideshow choking on single threaded performance, so it'll be valid for a while.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

buffbus posted:

Considering the fact that Kyle himself is Asian I guess it helps but at best puts him in the territory of Chris Rock.
Tucker. Not Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Worldshatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGqGCtPxn4

Holy poo poo they actually just made the kind of video I wanted, I really hope this becomes a series
Should I keep watching it? The first claim about heatsinks being pointless made me pause immediately, considering the VRM drama back with with the Core i9, because the mainboards lacked heatsinks and the manufacturers scrambled getting some on there right before release.