Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus's latest crazy project is not going well. Who would have thought connecting 18+ PCIe devices to the same motherboard might not work so well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQHK7jIojk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UtNpbGSHs

Also note that this monstrosity is taking up the main meeting room in their office so I'm sure that's fun for all his employees.

What really funny is he's doing it in the dumbest way possible, the rtx series has a usb-c now, he could do the whole project with 6 rtx 2080 ti and 6 usb-c monitors and skip the exotic pci switch. He could even use single slot rtx's and do it without pci-e extenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

pofcorn posted:

I didn't mind that video.

This however I DID mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGq8uJSco1o

Why yes, let's swap out production network gear without preconfiguration! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!

That video made me feel really competent at my job, and I still feel I could be smarter at work.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I'm getting my obsessive chip speculation from Moores Law is Dead now. He talks like a normal person which is rare for some reason.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.

He’s basically part of Apple PR now. If you want to know about the latest Apple release he’s been using it 2 weeks before it was announced, he even had an Apple exec on his podcast.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also the editing workstation are a generation behind so they are more mature and less buggy so he’s not completely crazy.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Linus review of 8k gaming on the 3090 was very uncritical, but also did he pursued any real person to waste their money? Probably not. The intel stuff is annoying also, intel basically gave $5k to every on screen employee. I wouldn't call Linus a fraud but he's definitely a shill in his sponsored videos.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It was theverge.com, they deserved it, they have more money than any tech tuber, they have people that know better they just let a clueless intern make a video. It should have been caught in the review process. Goddam cnet wouldn’t release a video that bad.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
People use MHz and megatransfers interchangeably, they are wrong but I agree the train has left the station long ago and you can't fix it. Its like making hard drive manufacturer's use base 2 terabytes instead of base 10.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Since high end gaming boards effectively overclock and this board underclocks I wonder how big a difference you can get with the same cpu in 2 stock motherboards.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty disappointing video by Linus where he concludes that cheap ebay intel cpus are are new cpus manufactured by intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcGebjgM_k .
Meanwhile 10 months ago, level1techs covered a xeon by the same seller thats a retired cpu from amazon and refurbished by intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMAIOBXp9E

Seems pretty obvious to me these i9 Skylake processors are also made from these retired Xeon Skylake since they use the same die.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
He one of the few youtubers that gets Apple stuff early and interviews Apple executives. You are not going to hear anything super negative from him.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Once they can prove they can ship in volume it seems like the no brainer recommended laptop for most people, but I worry about making people making entire laptops from aliexpress so they do all the design work but don't make enough money to survive.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The guy made many mistakes, but the biggest was buying from the business section from Dell, the only people that buy from the business section are IT departments of businesses and universities, I can't really fault Dell for making their business section unfriendly because they all are.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there such a thing as an HVAC youtuber

https://youtube.com/@HomePerformance

If you don’t have hepa filters , an activated charcoal filter, air quality sensors and a blower door score under .25 ACH you are killing your child.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
MKBHD is not technical at all and lies through omission all the time. He’s just good for seeing the latest Apple product in 8K shot on a 50k camera.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Good after all that somebody needed to be fired to show a modicum of accountability.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Strong agree, we have multi gig wifi but Bluetooth can’t do 1.411 megabits of cd audio. Somebody needs to make a low power wireless standard with like 3 megabits as a design requirement and we can dump all the encoders and decoders and the latency they add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

lol "This thing that a PII-300 could do really fast? We can do it REALLY fast."

That's midi to wave, this is audio to midi, which I guess Ableton has an intel optimized path for. You know that thing we all do for hours everyday.