Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Cavauro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5y6PLe8V9s

edit: the context for this is that this is the 8-bit guy on another channel that he abandoned a couple years ago. he is a youtube tech idiot

Got a “Who are you gonna trust, President Trump or a Lying Democrat?” ad when I clicked that and now I want to drill my brains out, thanks.

Now I’m thinking about Open Carry Assault Rifles + Dude who drives a Tesla Model X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I knew of a few places like Computer Reset, but none that made it through the 2010’s. That and the sheer size of the place is why it’s so unique.

I think they’re just happy to exchange money for new old stock, TBQH.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
It's a two hour show with no editing or review staff - it's nothing but reactions to reactions: background noise like wacky morning radio DJs.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Charles posted:

Do any of you buy from B&H?

When I bought a 2016 MBP* they didn't charge sales tax ($250+) and included a copy of Parallels.

* Cursed Keyboard Edition

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
That still feels like $2000 of markup on a pc you could buy for $3000 worth of Newegg components and paying their already marked up retail prices

dell gets GPUs by the shipping container load, they don’t pay Newegg prices.

Still, that case is like “We gotta stick with it, even though it sucks because of ‘Brand Image’ what kind of rube sees that case on the shelf at Best Buy and says “OMG drool worthy!!!🤑🤑🤑🤑”

E: I mean, fine, it’s not 2003 anymore and the general purpose home desktop PC concluded its march to the bottom years ago. You could say that with android and chromebook devices it’s broken through the bottom of the floor.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
yeah they started out a little garish for the time but that's about it
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-ddr-desktop-with-amd-athlon-xp-processor-2200-black/4835879.p?skuId=4835879

2005 poo poo's got a lot of plastic

there's this thing from 2014 - at this point it's all - "bigger is better so we're gonna take up space"

Anyway - RTX 4090 is supposed to be a 450 - 500W device, so if they still stick with the case design, ah. well.
I'm surprised they weren't water cooling their GPUs already - especially for a Cost-No-Object brand.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I think all Gamer’s Nexus did was give their employees a thing to rally around.
If this was a regular issue that could be handled internally they could just slow down, post videos every other day, etc. A few people would be mad, but to the outside world nothing really changes.

Actually shutting down releases for a few days for internal issues is SERIOUS. No ad reads = actual lost income. They must have had an actual employee revolt with resignations threatened from key people.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

LGD posted:

avoided any further metaphorical car doors slamming into their dicks by putting out content with incorrect data/no

I guess there’s a content pipeline that goes Research/Benchmarking -> Script Writing -> Recording -> Editing/Post Production

The GN video was talking about how many errors get caught in post and are patched up with little asterisk notes because there’s no time to do retakes, and bad data finds its way into the editors bar charts.

So yeah, I can see how if they have to flush that pipeline to reassess how that testing is done it’s going to be a few days.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The very least Linus would have seen some of the complaints of that video he vowed not to watch, by Steve quoting them. So he can't act oblivious in that regard. Assuming that he actually watched that GN video eventually. Which then again assumes a whole lot in his case.

Unless Linus is severely hosed up and the sort of person who shoots the messenger upon receiving any bad news, there is Nothing that an outside commenter can point out that Linus isn’t already aware of. The fact that quality is slipping is one of those publicly visible ‘Tip Of The Iceberg’ issues that people on the outside notice that just provide evidence of a hundred other internal issues.

The fact that they’ve shut down production is just the result of a dozen other things that had to have gone wrong before they got to this state. Sure the sexual harassment thing is gross, and the quality issues are something to address, but to shut down means the bottom line is being hit, and no date for when they’d be back is a sign that all hell must have broken loose at LTT’s offices. If you’re wondering why things fail dramatically from the outside, it’s a ‘straw that breaks the camels back’ situation - no point in trying to litigate that last straw, look at the system that brought about that failure.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Once drove by the LTT studios in Surrey. They’re very anonymous, no signage or anything.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
The first thing he calls out is a “Never missed an upload in ten years” mentality - so, yes, of course that was completely at odds with correctness

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

njsykora posted:

LGR video about VCF Midwest, mostly posting because of him making shareware disks to sell according to their old shareware licenses. Assembling, testing and then packaging 140 floppy disks single handedly sounds like hell but the display looks really cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64ILEMgE34

8 bit guy covers a similar thing when he did production of Planet X3 - his DOS PC game - 25:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCx32lrBSNQ&t=1556s

In other news - Young Clint looks almost exactly the same as Old Clint.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

repiv posted:

modders only went with source because it was available to them, unreal was still inaccessible to mere mortals at that time

as soon as unreal/unity overhauled their licensing to let people start using it for free it was over for 3rd party use of valves engines

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd also say that Valve Time and Valve ADHD didn't help the Source engine.

iD and Valve seemed to treat their engine licensing business as a side hustle instead of an actual arm of the company, and consoles were an afterthought instead of being the primary target until the 2010's.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
sometimes i think youtube isn't for me anymore

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
it's what the kids are into. he's got 6 million subscribers

also there's tens of thousands of videos of chinese housewares ranging from okay to extremely cursed - also seen advertising on twitter.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2024

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Related - this was a neat talk with the founders of Framework by Oxide Computer who are building their own servers from the ground up for on prem usage- the AWSs and Azures of the world are able to achieve so much by building their own systems instead of going with the mishmashes of dozens of semi-mutually compatible suppliers that are in a Dell system.

https://oxide.computer/podcasts/oxide-and-friends/1632642

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

njsykora posted:

CRD got that massive fanless HTPC he showed in one of his recent thrifting videos. Truly answering the question of "how much is too much thermal paste" when an entire side of the power supply is slathered in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OPrGBxkD0

CRD (and Metal Jesus for retro games people) turn up at RE:PC in the Seattle area - http://www.repc.com/ which occasionally gets some uh, that's not a windows PC :dogstare: items.

Back when I was in college at U of Illinois there's a sizable research institution as part of the campus, and it was just around the time when proprietary Unix workstation systems were seeing their end. Who needs a lab full of $15000 UltraSPARC Sun Blade running solaris when a $1500 Pentium 4 Dell running Redhat was just as fine or better for the kids learning C++.
So, I got to visit a similar dumping ground for scrap hardware. All kinds of exotic poo poo wound up going through there. I only wish I could have visited similar places in Silicon Valley or MIT at the time.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

MarcusSA posted:

I hate it when a video reminds you how old you are

https://youtu.be/MngTH_mh_Is?si=uYq7_fylfFMCr_0r

Comments be like “Oh, I remember sitting on my dad’s lap and watching as he played this!”

And I’m “I remember a guy in the college dorm handing out burned CD-Rs of this.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

priznat posted:

I like animal/farming vids and there was one about “flystrike” on sheep and it was gross as hell and now my animal video recommendations are extremely nasty lol

Activate NO! mode

I realize I'm disabling a lot of youtube's functionality, but I don't want some 3 AM curiosity pop up like an acid flashback.