Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

dissss posted:

Probably not as annoying as the giant plastic dragon taking up the entire loading dock.

You have to wonder how many of his staff were secretly hoping that crate was gonna collapse under him, when he was sitting on top of it and started kicking away one of the sides. :v:

Also, while I like Linus and his vids for the most part, that particular video was just terrible. Especially near the end when he was trying to "pwn" his wife over how totally cool and rad it was to waste $900 on it, and she was the living embodiment of :rolleyes: about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the first time I heard about LTT on these forums, it was described as Top Gear but with computers. It's a very accurate description: ambitious but rubbish.

This right here. I enjoy watching his vids, primarily because they're more often than not completely impractical from a PC enthusiast perspective (let alone an actual, real-world business standpoint). It's basically the computer version of watching to see if a trainwreck happens.

With that said, there are some enjoyable vids where Linus is forced (for budgetary or practical reasons) to actually come up with a sensible solution instead of the usual "ZOMG LOL SO WACKY" goofiness. Like the one video where he's redoing the wifi for his wife's relative's house in Taiwan, and actually has to put something in that works for what they need and blends in with their decor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Mr.Radar posted:

Recently Linus uploaded a video where he built a computer with a custom water cooling loop using copper pipes. He said something along the lines of "we've done everything except copper" and a lot of the comments were along the lines of "what about the whole-room water cooling"? This intrigued me, "an idea so bad that even Linus wants to forget he ever had it?" so I looked up the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

Don't miss the bit at 30 seconds into the video where Linus is standing on a 2nd floor windowsill next to an open window while using a rolling office chair as a brace to hold his balance.

There's 7 videos total available in a convenient playlist. Spoilers: nothing goes right, and the whole thing turns out to be pointless since they end up moving out of that building within a few months of doing all this work.

I've never water cooled a PC, but even I had to shake my head when Linus filled his reservoir with water straight from the yard hose, added just plain old automotive antifreeze with no biocidal additives, then was shocked when he practically had a brand new form of life growing in his water cooling loop. :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

snickothemule posted:

My favorite reaction to Linus of all time is in one of his recent videos mega build videos with his poo poo tonne of free nvidia titans, he's doing his regular awkward whining why something doesn't work when some dude off screen says "why do you make everything so hard!?"

For the heck of it I re-watched the "whole room water cooling project" thing recently, and in literally the first few minutes of the first video Luke was already dunking on the whole idea, saying he doubted it was going to be even remotely effective and that they should just have gotten a window AC unit. :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Linus and Barnacules both make me interested in the tech they are talking about without being as dry and professional as more educational, strictly technical videos.

Speaking of dry, educational videos, lately I've been watching a lot of the Explaining Computers channel on YouTube, which is hosted by Christopher Barnatt, a British university lecturer. The vids usually focus on single board computers like the Raspberry Pi and its ilk, and are about as dry as toast. But drat if they don't give me serious nostalgia flashbacks to when I was a kid and there'd be a short educational thing on PBS that was imported from the UK.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Devian666 posted:

Despite his style a number of his videos are pretty interesting. I have to admit I watch a number of youtubers that have a terrible style that would never be fit for traditional broadcast.

I think it's mainly because he's a university lecturer, so a lot of his stuff is very much in the "get the information across without a bunch of wackiness" vein. It's actually kind of refreshing because the dude is unabashedly a nerd, but not in the modern "I like pop culture things that are currently trendy" sense of today, but the old-school 1980s kind of nerd who likes computers and stuff like that and doesn't worry about whether or not it makes him look hip or cool.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I simply cant convince myself to watch Chris Barnett's videos, for one I just don't really care a lot about SBCs, but his style is just too dry, I want to see videos that are more hands on and less talking. I don't mind some dry videos so long as it's still a little hands on and about an interesting topic, like Engineerguy's video on pop cans.

Fair enough, though in the interest of fairness I should point out that a lot of his videos are pretty hands on re: building and testing the SBCs he reviews, upgrading his various work computers, etc. That said, his style is definitely not to everyone's taste, and if SBCs aren't your thing then yeah, there wouldn't be much else in his channel to grab your interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

I've been watching a bunch of LGR vids recently. Not just his vids focusing on ancient hardware (which are great), but also his video game ones, and when I ran across the one he did for Lionhead's The Movies, I remembered how much fun I had loving around making stupid machinima vids with that game. I'd lost my original copy years ago somehow, so I ended up seeking out and ordering a copy on eBay last night. Thanks LGR! :thumbsup: