Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

K8.0 posted:

LTT's newest video is amazing. Alex is an absolutely perfect complement to Linus.

He's very sweaty by the end of the video. Which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Theophany posted:

In that situation, Linus didn't break a seat, need tyres or oil, he took the car apart and then did pikachu shocked face when broadcasting him voiding his warranty to his YouTube channel bit him in the rear end.

Opening A Machine Cannot Void The Warranty.

Apple was being a bunch of dicks about it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GutBomb posted:

It wasn't that it was opened, it was that it was abused, which it was. they destroyed the thing when they opened it. I'm not an Apple defender either, but there's no way the repair should have been covered by warranty.

Also, Linus wasn't even trying to get a warranty repair, he was willing to pay full price just for a repair but Apple doesn't really do repairs, they do replacements and a replacement was going to be very very costly.

Yes. Linus basically said I BROKE IT, PLZ FIX, BILL ME WHATEVER IT COSTS. Apple denied it out of some kind of rear end in a top hat bullshit principle.

LionArcher posted:

Because he only took it apart to beef it up, something that does in fact void the warranty.

Also untrue.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LionArcher posted:

Also untrue that they denied it because of principle. Legal reasons are there.

I scrolled back up in the thread and didn't see, what was the basis?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rudager posted:

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

Microsoft licensing also generally allows use of products in dev and test environments without paid licenses. At least if you have a corp SA agreement.

The idea that you should activate a copy of Windows installed for 3 days on a test machine for a video or validation is insane.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Add to OP, plz:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Steve needs to use more fire and/or N2, obviously.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The relatively self-aware product placement plug at ~4.57 actually make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJoXEdsBAA

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Some Goon posted:

Every time I use my iFixit screwdriver I unironically find myself thinking "what a quality product, I'm so glad I bought this". It's a solid metal handle, feels well constructed. The bits haven't shown any sign of damage.

100x this. It's at the perfect intersection of price and quality. You can absolutely buy better screwdriver kits, but you cannot get a better value.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"Told them to use one with good airflow."

Steve is so wholesome he's made being always on-brand hilarious and amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cage-free egghead posted:

I feel like propping up criticism onto his race's stereotype is a bad crutch when the dialogue isn't funny to begin with. Maybe there is some sort of joke I'm missing but it just seems like a thinly veiled way to talk poo poo about something without wanting to seem like the bad guy.

This. Any stereotyping bullshit aside, the comedy is completely missing and uses the LOL FUNNY ACCENT as a crutch for extremely thin and easy jokes. It's worse than when a comedian brings a guitar or piano or guitar on stage to "sing" jokes that aren't funny and need life support.

omg he buttons the top button! wacky!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yeah until he speaks and then WOMP
WOMP

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So this random video popped up in my feed, and I do kinda get a bored kick out of watching home gamers build garbage benches and furniture.

I am sitting there thinking wow, this dude sounds so much like 8-Bit Guy, it's scary.

And then look who pops in at 8:30. The world is too small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KfWMJV7fQ0

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rude :(

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

64bit_Dophins posted:

Really? Is there some kind of 'me too' sort of stuff going on here?

I've never been able to watch the guy because he looks like a sludge monster and has the posture of a turtle, but he certainly looks like the kind of guy that would be a sex offender registry so nothing would really surprise me.

That’s some pretty aggressive extrapolation. You can just say he’s a nerd with questionable hardware restoration/analysis “practices” and some broader political opinions you don’t dig and a bizarre need to performatively get weird in Subways.

I mean I find his taste in sandwiches at least as alarming as his need for a rifle in there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYB-RpkmUc

As an enjoyer of silence, I actually really dig the concept here. I wonder how a card with a lower TDP than a 3080 would hold up here.

I want this badly. I will not pay $900 for it though.

But wow, what a vision to actually follow through on and make work.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Having worked for multiple retailers, the absolute shady weaseliness of tech customers cannot be overstated.

Not excusing Newegg, but nerds will absolutely lie, cheat, steal and abuse the gently caress out of vendors.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Gildan owns American Apparel now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Charles posted:

Do any of you buy from B&H?

Yea. They have their poo poo together and good prices, but they don’t fuckin roll on Shabbos.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How mad is Newegg leadership that someone didn’t peel that loving label off before sending it back to Steve? The fury must be severe.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Charles posted:

It's a good idea and it's fun. Ubiquiti is trying to be Apple like so of course they're gonna send the most expensive overkill poo poo to show on screen. People already brag about having UDM Pros serving a house that has DSL lol

I want a UDM Pro for my house with 1GB, am I a bad person?
Can’t push 1GB through the USG with packet inspection running.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yes. High demand stuff can’t even be ordered for store pickup. You gotta go in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you want that and have a brain too hire a Lutron integrator and write them a fat check and then enjoy it without any further worrying.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

that video would be a lot more watchable without that stupid local news investigation music playing in the background the whole time.

Seriously. Way too much '90s era 48 Hours/Dateline NBC energy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1558321431032737792

So she hosed up and didn't reply to emails when she thought she did and then went to accuse Linus of ghosting him. It turned into a huge clusterfuck.

I think Linus's response to Naomi on today's WAN show was reasonable and he acknowledges that Naomi was completely within her right to not agree to a meeting for a lot of reasons and how he responded later in the worst ways to her.

That tweet is not public.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

gradenko_2000 posted:

The End of History Airflow

Wait is that actually him on his account? How bizarre.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

buglord posted:

I googled it because I don’t know who this guy is but I find the 3070 in a definitely-OEM computer case hilarious. But yeah it’s him, whoever he is. More power to him. Unless he sucks, then less power to him, but you can’t go lower than EVGA bronze.

He sucks. Generally one of the driving philosophical voices behind US foreign policy posture for the last 40 years, namely meddling in everything everywhere at all times. He's softened up a bit but still sucks because he still advocates for the "end of history" and the creation of a monopolar world with the US as its center even as he's lost his taste for achieving that with military force.
I am sure a goon will show up and tell me he's brilliant and I am dumb, but whatever.
Super weird to see him posting pictures of his extremely pedestrian computer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dude's thinking has affected literally millions and millions of lives across the globe. And he uses a stock AMD cooler. It's funny.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MKBHD is the NPR of YouTube tech channels. Generally inoffensive, stays well within his benefactors’ established boundaries, professional but boring to the point of cliche production style, and absolutely fuckin worthless.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It almost makes more sense for video cards to have a separate power brick externally and a plug of their own at this point.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Have a good day!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's been all downhill since the 8800GT, top end performance for 200 bucks.

100% this. I did an evga trade up and the pricing was so insane the difference to pay was $0.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Linus Dick Tips

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems a lot of obstructions do that. Corsair put a 200mm front fan in the 650D, thinking they were clever because low RPM. Except for the circular hole pattern grid in front of it, which created some annoying howling sound. If the fan spun up faster, you'd think Airwolf was coming up on the horizon.

Uhh that sounds amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I coulda sworn he was balding. Transplant?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

well why not posted:

If that's a transplant it's really well done. I'd imagined him as a shlubby late-era lowtax-type. He looks like a sunglasses model.

https://twitter.com/regularcars/status/1689706741317902338

Yeah you can see in some old videos some thinning. Not severe, maybe he just got on some propecia or something.
Yeah sunglass model is right, now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Any of that could maybe be seen as a tacit admission of guilt legally, no one is going to do that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You can be mad at Ian for shilling FN’s new bullshit HiPower with its plastic guide rod and surface finish that looked like my toddler made it out of homemade playdoh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The internet offers up a whole new hellscape of parasocial bizarreness, but watching a girl watch videos and react to them might be my least favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If you could run safari on windows I’d totally switch to it but I need my stuff synced over both windows and Mac OS

There was a time, but Apple apparently decided it wasn’t worth it anymore.