Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There was some Gamers Nexus video were PC Jesus was being extra sarcastic and posing in various rooms of a fancy house a few months ago. Does anyone remember what the topic/title/url of this video was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yep that was it, thanks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mobby_6kl posted:

Linus just did a video on affordable VR and never mentioned that you can get a Windows MR headset for like $150 vs $400 for the Rift. Because it's a sponsored video by Oculus lol.

...And? It was made clear the whole time that the video was sponsored and while it didn’t tread any new ground it’s always nice to point out that VR doesn’t actually take a computer that costs a ton. The affordable part was the machine not the headset.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wirth1000 posted:

Speaking of Linus, I'm actually enjoying them rotating hosts now and it's not just Linus for every god drat thing. If anything I consider him the weakest link in terms of hosting for numerous reasons. Hell, even Dennis is more enjoyable.

I’m not sure it will last. I think they are just putting out videos that were shot while he was on vacation and eventually he’ll be back full time on the videos again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

OhFunny posted:

I've noticed LTT is shooting a lot of their recent videos in a 2:1 aspect ratio. I wonder why.

Edit: A lot of phones now have close to 2:1 displays now. That might be why.

Lots of newer shows on Netflix and Hulu are also being shot in 2:1. They’re really trying to force stuff in that direction.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AlternateAccount posted:

Opening A Machine Cannot Void The Warranty.

Apple was being a bunch of dicks about it.

It wasn't that it was opened, it was that it was abused, which it was. they destroyed the thing when they opened it. I'm not an Apple defender either, but there's no way the repair should have been covered by warranty.

Also, Linus wasn't even trying to get a warranty repair, he was willing to pay full price just for a repair but Apple doesn't really do repairs, they do replacements and a replacement was going to be very very costly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

well why not posted:

Lol that he named his company / channel after himself then. He’s a good guy but drat makes some odd choices.

You know what you tuber I can’t stand? Bitwit/Awesomesauce/Kyle. He’a easily got the least tech knowledge of the crowd, lacks video skills and does those painful skits. At least Paul doesn’t try to be entertaining and jayztwocents is incredibly skilled at builds. Kyle just has vlogs with his wife and terrible characters. I don’t get the appeal.

Agreed. I guess he’s very slightly Asian but his Asian stereotype character really is a bit much. But the comments are all “he is actually Asian so it’s alright”

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

the talent deficit posted:

there's one coming soonish. they apparently take forever to edit for some reason

That reason being Linus constantly loving with their system that barely works as it is, I’m sure.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

refleks posted:

The one thing that irrationally annoys me about LTT videos, is he constantly reaches for his pocket and presses something. I'm assuming he is muting a call on his phone which begs the question why the gently caress he would keep his phone on him when shooting a video and just constantly mute it, and not just leave it somewhere.

Ever since I noticed it I can't un-see it.

He’s advancing his teleprompter

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

well why not posted:

Alex, from offscreen: "The script is written as if the Mac Pro wins this part". This one seems like a COVID scramble, haha. Having two Mac Pro competitor videos in two days is wonky, even for LTT. I'm guessing the schedule got all hosed up and this is how it had to be to meet the sponsorship contract or something.

That PC, despite being 30k just seems so lovely compared to the (admittedly less powerful) Mac Pro. The connectivity is whacked, the case is awful (although the 2-way mirror idea is neat, this is a bad look), the "no video outs" issue is weird. 30k is a lot of money for something you have to build yourself.

It's a pretty good illustration of why a Mac is kinda desirable. You just have your company buy it, plug it in and you're generally pretty good to go. At least the mac pro has video out and wifi/bluetooth out of the box.

I can't help but think the final "drag race" with their hackintosh build is going to be ... pretty much the same thing. They've already spent a huge amount of money on it to the point where the "PC is cheaper" mantra is likely long forgotten. To say nothing of the time spent. I'm pretty sure you can order a Mac Pro and have it within the week.

Well the case is the whole reason that build has taken as long as it has. In a regular case with all the parts it could definitely come in cheaper than the Mac Pro and be built in the same amount of time it takes a Mac Pro to ship.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

spunkshui posted:

I think its a joke and the client doesn't exist.

Kinda annoyed we dont get more fabrication and tech hijinks with linus anymore.

What happened to the man who did whole room watercooling?

Those huge projects usually involve many people and it’s been pretty obvious that for the past 8 months or so the channel has been limiting the number of people working together to create videos for some reason. I’m sure that when whatever is causing it is resolved there will be a return to hijinks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a leap v2 at a job and it was a nice chair. I couldn’t find one cheap enough at an office liquidator when I moved to Utah and started working from home so I bought a used Aeron and I’ve had it for 4 and a half years now and it’s still great. Instead of a chair that instantly makes you few comfortable, it trains you to sit properly and was actually uncomfortable when I first got it, but I stuck with it for a few days and then it “clicked”. Now I can sit in it for hours at a time and have a generally better back because of it. I wouldn’t pay $1200 for one though (mine was $230)

Edit: if I had one gripe about the chair is that since it’s mesh it doesn’t reflect my body heat back at me so after a while I get a bit cold. But then I just put on a jacket.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 1, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Nvm

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There’s hundreds of thousands of dollars of camera equipment, high end server CPUs, shipping cases of impossible to get video cards and consumer market CPUs, not to mention the servers and tons of other valuable stuff in there. I’m sure they’re insured. Only the dumbest of the dumb criminals are going to be finally enticed to break in to their office for a gold Xbox controller that will be incredibly recognizable to anyone who they could approach to melt it down, and it’s too weird to resell, and would probably be recognized in that scenario as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mearn posted:

I just got an email from Newegg re: Gigabyte PSUs. It looks like they're going to be issuing refunds or replacements directly, which is nice because I have no desire to deal with Gigabyte's RMA system again, nor do I want another Gigabyte PSU for the next decade or so.

I wonder if this will apply to their in-house prebuilt brand ABS. My dad just bought an ABS system from newegg a month ago that had one of these PSUs in it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It’s been clear for years that LTT is an entertainment program. It’s top gear for computer poo poo. You don’t go to top gear for serious reviews of car stuff. You go there to see car related entertainment and banter. You don’t go to LTT for serious reviews, you go there to see computer related entertainment and banter. It doesn’t try to hide that, it’s naked, blatant tomfoolery with some info sprinkled in.

Clutching pearls that he reviewed a laptop after saying he shouldn’t because he owns a tiny stake in a company that makes laptops is just being outraged to be outraged.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Sorry but that’s a bullshit cop out. See the Alex Jones comment.

Waving away ethical concerns with “no one in their right mind would believe this is objective” is how we have sandy hook denial, anti-vax, election fraud garbage, etc etc.

The general populous is very clearly too stupid for this to be an acceptable defense.

I’ll keep that in mind when LTT starts covering topics more important than “is 165hz better than 144hz on my mineral oil cooled gaming rig”

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JuffoWup posted:

I had the impression he was just saying programmers shouldn't be just whole sale taking libraries and using them without understanding the scope of what they can do. And as such, limit the scope the library can do when used. Not just wholesale banning of these libraries.

I just watched it. He has a fundamental misunderstanding about how libraries are used by developers. He mentions at the end taking code and adding it to your project without modifying it for your specific situation is lazy but that’s not how using libraries even works. He’s thinking of it from a “code snippets” point of view which it certainly is not. It’s hard to describe the concept of libraries to non-devs and when you do try to explain it when you’re not even a dev yourself you’re going to say some wrong and dumb poo poo.

Also some of his smaller takes in the whole thing are not very well informed opinions. Java is not used in “everything”. Most things running on an average end user’s computer is not using Java. This is primarily a web server problem and anything else are weird edge cases. Minecraft being a game that runs on an end user machine is an exception, because it’s one of very few widely used desktop Java apps.

The Log4j issue is huge and real, but not something the average jayz2cents viewer needs to be “worried” about from a “keep your local machine updated and patched” perspective.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 2, 2022

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

power crystals posted:

Every time Jake is at Linus' house.

He seems so familiar there I wonder if Jake is actually moving in there too. I know in the videos he's there to help set up but there's a ton of "we" and "our room" talk that makes it sound like he's going to live there too. I could just be seeing stuff that's not there too, who knows.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Soul Glo posted:

I’ve watched LTT for a while but this is still extremely the vibe I got watching that video

Never have my thoughts been so encapsulated by some other person's post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fil5000 posted:

Mine was a Vic-20. Don't worry though I had the 8k ram expansion.

Sweet, mine too. And a bunch of tapes and a few cartridges. I played so much Omega Race on that thing. And it started me on my programming journey that now has me writing JavaScript code today. gently caress. Curse that thing. I should have had a Nintendo.